Is Erlang a viable option for Distributed Systems

Hello guys , i wanted to ask you opinion.

I fell into the functional meme and ....
I have been learning Haskell for like 1 year now (Real World Haskell) and after reaching Monad Transformers and
After checking the libraries and the tools i am planning to give up ..it looks like a hassle to the most basic stuff like database connections, TCP, serialization... I feel i will never be productive in it to write some real stuff.

I am considering starting a new language and my candidates for distributed systems development would be Erlang/Golang.While golang seems easier i prefer to learn something that will help me long term.

If i put the time in it , will i again get btfo-ed by the lack of general purpose libraries ?

Attached: er.png (1200x1052, 41K)

Erlang isn't viable for anything. Learn a real world language if you want success. The only non-mainstream languages companies use are ones they invent themselves, like Facebook's Hacklang.

I am using already C# as the main language but i want to learn something new and productive.

Then what about Kotlin or Swift? Or if you want want something with high performance that isn't a complete mess like C++, Rust?
Autism languages won't help you. You already figured out by yourself what every Haskell developer eventually realizes: That the language is almost worthless and makes common actions way too cumbersome to be worth using.
Why set yourself up for the same failure with Erlang?

Don't listen to the above user. Erlang is a great language / runtime and unlike Kotlin and Swift you can actually make money with it.

>after reaching Monad Transformers
none of it is applicable in Erlang. you will enter a simpler world

With Kotlin, C# and Swift you can get pretty much any job you want (except embedded and games). All three work for web development and all three are used for mobile development, which is the most profitable niche right now.

I do not plan to switch from .NET to JVM anytime soon nor do i want to develop for MacOS.
I want to build scalable applications with ease (things like multiplayer mobile games , chat apps ..etc..and they start to become a mess in C# -locks , sync primitives..etc) .
If i wanted to build for mobile i'd got directly for flutter (client).

This is what i do not know: will i remain hairless until i do basic DB Crud operations, serialize/deserialze jsons/ read,write on sockets etc with Erlang ?

I'm not considering the language based on job posibilities but rather for building my own product...

Yes you will. The language has no ecosystem and was made to please one dead man's autism, not to allow developers to be productive.
For what you want, you'll either have to learn C++, Rust or take the performance impact of C#, like most companies nowadays do (well, with Java, but still).

I am in awe of how supposedly good problem solvers paint themselves in such stupid corners.
The problem: Choose a programming language which will let me make real world software quickly
OP's solution: Ask Jow Forums (Insert PeaForBrains meme image)
The rational thing to do:
-Make a list of criteria for the ideal programming language
-Know thyself (Assume normality in the absence of concrete knowledge. This will let us use good proven statistical models like the bell curve and such, with a good chance of being somewhat right)
-Use the heaps of data available about projects, libraries and tools (from sources such as github) and compare them based on the criteria you set beforehand (for example: how many networking projects use a certain dev environment, or how do different languages rank in popularity when used to implement a solution for the problem of interest, etc..), now you can defer to your sense of aesthetics to choose what you like.

Addendum: The only things Jow Forums shills that I found useful are SICP and the memePads, linux not needing publicity does not count.

No facts, statistics or any meaningful information, just muh feels. Literal non answer.

Op, erlang is great, but tools/libraries are extremely lacking compared to popular languages, you can definetely do scalable, distributed systems, but most libraries or tools you require you will have to write yourself. If this is your hobby project then go for it, I find erlang to be very interesting and engaging, way more fun than oop, but if you have deadlines then consider something else

>Wow, what a shitpost, calling erlang a language with no ecosystem that you shouldn't use for anything productive, also nice opinion, also my opinion that I'm not going to provide any evidence for either is that erlang has no ecosystem and shouldn't be used for non-hobby projects.

Erlang has many features that are lacking completely in meme languages like Kotlin or Swift.

your post was shit mainly because you included such made up words like autism, once you mention that you lost any and all arguments and all credibility.

Maybe for you, you easily butthurt newfag.

no, it was objectively shit

>You brought all the same arguments I did, but you called a man who wasted his entire life on a meme language nobody uses an "autist", so everything you said is wrong!
Little, little man.

Erlang is probably the only language that is actually viable for distributed systems.

thats the thing, you didnt actually bring any real arguments, then you mention "autism"... at that point I realized your opinion is worthless and should be discarded.

Learn Ada. You will make money with it.

the erlang standard library is godly and otp/phoenix once mastered is heaven on earth.
but it's not for brainlets