/pcbg/ - PC Building General

ATTENTION: The Navi RX 5700XT and RX 5700 will launch alongside Ryzen 3000 series CPUs with PCIe 4.0 on 7/7/2019. Nvidia is releasing a SUPER series with slightly increased specs over the original 20 series. Pricing is looking high. More info on the SUPER series possible on 6/21.

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>i7 8700 or 9700K - Extreme solution for absolute max FPS
>R7 2700/X - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard
>RTX 2060 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
1440p
>RTX 2060 - standard
>RTX 2080 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 - standard
>RTX 2080Ti - better fit for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's high refresh with adaptive sync
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Previous:

Attached: chipset-cheatsheet.jpg (1510x849, 717K)

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/eSefdll
computeruniverse.net
github.com/IAIK/ZombieLoad
4channel.org/feedback
reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/c2kjp7/til_that_amd_has_only_15_reported_security/
gizmodo.com/what-to-do-about-the-new-intel-chip-flaw-1834759126
techpowerup.com/255563/intel-tried-to-bribe-dutch-university-to-suppress-knowledge-of-mds-vulnerability
twitter.com/AnonBabble

avoid AMD GPU at all cost

>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
Please add to the OP the following guide: imgur.com/a/eSefdll

im buying a 5700 instead of a 2060

Attached: 1549751046054.jpg (395x395, 34K)

avoid NVIDIA GPU at all cost

>the price distance between entry-level/lower mid range and midrange keeps increasing every year.

Guessing Navi is going to be £320 in the UK. I've got money burning a hole in my pocket and I've eager to replace my bedroom gaming PC with this one and build a new main PC but I can't justify the cost.

LEGOS

Should I expect retailers to lower Vega prices when Navi drops?

Will buy nvidia+intel after price drop. Thoughts?

I use a 42.5" 4k panel at around 90-110cm viewing distance, and a 1440p 27" panel at around 80cm distance

Maybe i'm just not reading your graph right, but form what I can see, it says my monitors shouldn't work well at all, but from using them for over a year, they're by FAR the best setup i've ever used.

Far better than dual 1440p or triple 1080p 24"

Depends how much stock there is around. They probably won't bother if the big stores only have a handful.

If AMD have warehouses of them they'll probably reduce them a bunch.

Show me where Intel, Apple, and MS say it's safe to leave HT enabled when running untrusted software.

No. Prices will go up. They're low now to clear Vega inventory for Navi release.

i'm planning to get 2080 ti SLI once the price drops. your loss.

>once the price drops

Attached: 1550383323598.jpg (600x477, 349K)

>Show me where Intel, Apple, and MS say it's safe to leave HT enabled when running untrusted software.

Lmao, even if some random piece of software running COULD do what you're describing, I wouldn't give a FUCK, the MDS vulnerability ONLY reads directly from active memory, what is CURRENTLY being run in your memory.

Are you using your computer for some state secrets? Are your bank accounts NOT using two factor authorization? I mean, what the fuck would it matter EVEN IF it were running and picking up whats going through my computers memory?

And again, it can ONLY read what's CURRENTLY in your memory, it can't just go hunting across your files for every little piece of information you have.

tldr; shut the fuck up and stop LARPing that you NEED some fort knox level of security you fucking retard.

>Show me where Intel, Apple, and MS say it's safe to leave HT enabled when running untrusted software.
You're an idiot. concern shilling about vulnerabilities 99% of people wouldn't even need to be concerned about even if they got infected is just stupid.
You're only doing it because it's intel, and you want to shit on intel. You don't actually give a fuck about the security implications, your only objective is to shit on intel and shill AMD, and it's plainly obvious that's your only real goal here.

That chart just shows you what's the optimally sized monitor given viewing distance, visual acuity, and resolution. It might be that I botched the how-to-use, because that chart shows that, assuming a 6/6 vision, both your monitors are roughly right for you: they're both around 109 PPI, which is the maximum perceivable resolution at 80cm. By watching them at 90-110 you're losing a bit of their resolution, but at the end of the day it won't make such a dramatic difference, so I'd say it's a good setup.

>downplaying security
>ever
Get the fuck out.

Problem with these charts is they don't take into account leaning in for fine detail or just turning your head.

These charts work for TVs at a distance but not for monitors at a desk.

computeruniverse.net

Fucking hell mods, do your damn job. People are still telling others to buy Intel and trolling them. I mean FFS some people legitimately come to /pcbg/ for help and you have these fucktards recommending Intel cpus. Do your fucking job.

is the 5700 going to be the ideal bang:buck card?

>no 9400f/9600k on OP
yikes

Lmao, yep, concern shilling, called it.
most of these vulnerabilities require being run on a virtual machine, or require physical access to the machine to exploit.
There isn't a SINGLE proven use of a remote MDS vulnerability, but it wont stop you from shilling the security aspect as if it actually mattered.
if it were actually as big a deal as you've been pretending for the past 2 months, we'd have dozens of examples of actual attacks taking place. As it is you've got nothing, just pointing out CVEs you don't even understand the implications on, you just see vulnerability for intel and get an erection.

>even the pcbg has gone full shilltard and consolewar

Yep, time to lurk another chan until school starts back-up.

Stop deflecting and show where they say it's safe to leave HT enabled when running untrusted software.
Apple and MS specifically added options in their OS to disable it for those who can't disable it in their BIOS. Where did they say you don't need to enable that option when running untrusted software?

Answer with a source from the 3 of them or don't respond at all.

No it's rx570 > rx580 > vega56 > 1660 > 1660ti > rx 5700 > 2060 as far as I can tell for performance per dollar. Will have to wait for independent reviews and what street prices really wind up being. Also how the AIB cards are. But I expect that to hold true.

>when running untrusted software
Lmao, that's not safe at all if you're concerned about security.
There are plenty of zero-days that could exploit any number of vulnerabilities in windows, let alone hardware level vulnerabilities that haven't been announced.
Again pretending to care about security because it makes intel look bad right now, is just fucking disgusting. You're an obvious shill, and I know you wont actually care, because you already know all of what i'm saying, you just don't care. But others, who don't know, can at least read this and see what sort of bullshit you've been trying to push for weeks.
You wouldn't be getting called out by multiple people if you didn't keep this shit up for so fucking long, at this point, it's just to keep you from spreading misinformation to lurkers.

WHOOPSIE

github.com/IAIK/ZombieLoad

>ask Jow Forums about good price/performance cpu
>everyone tells me to buy ryzen
>enter CPU-Z thread
>intel i5's and i7's everywhere
>only a handfull ryzen owners

Why are you fuckers like this?!

Attached: 2cac71a0ae14fe345801e20202b379de-imagepng.png (185x273, 88K)

Here
4channel.org/feedback

>concern shilling
What the fuck does that even mean? Is it some sort of retarded zoomer buzzword?

Lmao even they know it's not a concern for the average user
> If you find that a computer is susceptible to ZombieLoad, you may want to avoid using it as a multi-user system. ZombieLoad breaches the CPU's memory protection. On a machine that is susceptible to ZombieLoad, one process can potentially read all data used by other processes or by the kernel.

basically, don't let other people use your computer, and don't use it to host other user VMs if you're running something you need to be secure.

It's concern trolling, but in this case he's specifically doing it to shill AMD, hence concern shilling.
>noun: concern trolling
>the action or practice of disingenuously expressing concern about an issue in order to undermine or derail genuine discussion.

Basically thisHe doesn't actually believe that the security vulnerabilities are a real threat to people, he's simply pretending they are to make AMD look better.

>Please don't be concerned about the 233 vulnerabilities when our competitor has only had 15 that are patched

Attached: firefox_2019-06-21_16-38-18.png (1216x325, 45K)

4k tv or 1440p 144hz monitor if I only play classic WoW, watch anime and browse Jow Forums and YouTube?

t. security toddler who understands nothing about security

>ask Jow Forums what they think about gays
>they say fuck gays
>go to /lgbt/
>they're gay
wtf, I was mislead

Attached: 1526563518235.jpg (500x375, 71K)

>expressing concerns over security is disingenuous
This site isn't for retards, please leave.

Do we know when yet?

Lol, yup, i've seen the AMD subreddit too
You've been posting that over the past two days, which oddly enough, matches exactly with the reddit thread
wew lad
you've gotta go back
reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/c2kjp7/til_that_amd_has_only_15_reported_security/

Don't get a 4k tv for close up viewing unless you enjoy your eyes being burnt out.

Hows this for a plan;
For my ryzen build I plan on buying the cheapest x570 motherboard, slap in a 3700x, 1 tb pcie4 nvme and 16 gb of pc3400 ram.
I don't plan on overclocking, but might add an old noctua cooler or an aio.
is it completely silly or is it okay?

Expressing FALSE concern for security vulnerabilities that are targeting DATACENTERS is 100% just concern trolling.

Pretending EVERYONE has to disable hyperthreading to be secure is just fucking laughably stupid.

If that were at ALL true, you'd have every major tech blog in the world writing about this HUGE issues that REQUIRES everyone to disable hyperthreading.

The facts are, the average user has ZERO concern about that kind of attack, and pretending it's a big deal is obvious concern trolling.

gizmodo.com/what-to-do-about-the-new-intel-chip-flaw-1834759126
>The attack does not only work on personal computers but can also be exploited in the cloud

Hmmmmmmmm

>cvedetails.com is reddit
>all websites except Jow Forums are reddit
is this was redditors actually believe?
Nice reddit spacing, btw

...yes as in VM users at datacenters.

Don't be fucking stupid.

How are they making GPUs EVEN MORE EXPENSIVE?
Is the current line up even going to get a price drop at this rate?

>cvedetails.com is reddit
>all websites except Jow Forums are reddit

If your spamming of that didn't line up exactly with the reddit thread, maybe i'd believe you.

Maybe except for the cheapest x570 mobo. You really should make sure that the cheapest one isn't shit.

The hell are you even talking about?

Personal computers are affected regardless.

got my fans just now. going to install them in a few

Attached: 1561150123141_8475906939295179.jpg (3264x2448, 1.65M)

Not to the extent that you NEED to disable hyperthreading, if that were the case, you'd be able to post some source that backs THAT up, but you can't since no one is telling you to disable hyper threading UNLESS your specific usage is vulnerable to those attacks.

The average home user gaming on their PC, has literally nothing to worry about with this type of attack, it isn't an attack that would gain much from the average user ANYWAY, it's a TARGETED attack, since it needs to read from the currently active memory, it has very limited use unless you know the target AND know exactly what you're looking for.

And again, most people aren't doing anything on their home PC that would need that level of security anyway, even if you catch my bank password as i'm typing it into my banks website, my bank has 2 factor authorization on all log in's, so without having PHYSICAL access to my phone, they've got NOTHING.

And that's assuming they managed to run untrusted software on my machine AND have some way to ex-filtrate the information gathered. AND happen to be running it WHILE i'm typing in my bank password.

it's just absurd to think that's a reasonable attack on your average user.

They're still affected so they need to be patched because of Intel's incompetence. Stop sucking corporate cock.

Is it true that it's not smart to mix RAM sticks from different packages, even if they're the same model?

No, no they don't.
Again, pretending you NEED to disable hyperthreading is FUCKING RETARDED.

No one is recommending that besides you.

If it WERE 100% needed to be done to be secure, you'd see patches that automatically turn off hyper threading.

We aren't seeing that, because most people would have no reason to do that.

SOME people need to be concerned, especially VM hosts. But again, pretending the average user does is simply wrong, and the fact you STILL pretend it needs to be done, is really just showing you're again, an obvious shill.

100 intel® shillbux™ have been deposited into your account.

>NEED THAT UNLESS ANYWAY TARGETED AND PHYSICAL NOTHING AND WHILE
>NEED FUCKING RETARDED WERE SOME STILL
What does it mean?

Don't worry, it wont effect your wage slave check from AMD.

Is there any reason to have a preference between M.2 and SATA? They're exactly the same price, and the drive isn't fast enough to max out the SATA link.

TV's are designed to be seen from across the room. They're designed to work at several times the brightness of monitors for this reason.

Fuck off shill.

techpowerup.com/255563/intel-tried-to-bribe-dutch-university-to-suppress-knowledge-of-mds-vulnerability

Attached: 1515111022243.png (1920x1080, 1.15M)

Do you ever wonder why the 9700k exists when the fx 8350k has existed for some time and has 8 cores for like 1/4 the price? Games are becoming more and more multithreaded.

Ahh I didn't see that you said "tv"

To be fair, many companies have similar NDAs with their bug bounty programs.

I agree intel has done some shady shit, but lets be real, that's about trying to protect their datacenter business, and nothing to do with average users using desktop CPUs.

>when
you mean if at all ?

Current state of Nvidia fanboys and europeans.

I meant when was the release date you AMD cocksucker.

Less cabling

Cleaner look, doesn't take up any more space in your case.

An m.2 drive is directly on the motherboard, a SATA drive needs a drive bay.

Can you not read? Oh, no, course you can't.
Intel tried to bribe them to classify it as being lower severity than it was, with a bribe to get more money by doing so.

Yes, like I said, intel does shady shit. That was obviously specifically to try and keep datacenters less concerned than they'd be otherwise.

I'm not claiming intel is some pariah of the tech world that can do no wrong, they do PLENTY of shit wrong, but lying about NEEDING to disable hyperthreading is 100% wrong, and just false information.

Shit on intel for other reasons all you want, I wont bother replying unless you straight up lie like has been happening here for a few weeks when it comes to the MDS shit.

>still on my 11 year old toaster
>gonna build a new rig with ryzen 3 and rtx super once they are released
Gonna be like driving a lambo after being stuck driving a 20yo japanese beater.

Attached: 1308298990782.jpg (210x208, 7K)

>only the number of cores matter
found the retard

not to mention, the FX modules were far from 2 real cores.

Each module should've been considered a core with SMT allowing to to handle 2 threads.

I'm neither an AMD or an Intel shill but I am definitely getting one of those new ryzens for my next big upgrade.
Unless Intel actually get their shit together before then.

You clearly don't need high refresh for any of those things so get a 4k screen.

>but I am definitely getting one of those new ryzens for my next big upgrade.
>Unless Intel actually get their shit together before then.
I mean, intel has nothing coming anytime soon.

But we still don't know if the 3000 series even beats the 9th gen intels that are already on the market.

>but not for monitors at a desk.
And that's where I knew you didn't even bother to give that chart a look.

True, I am trying to stay positive though.
From what I have read, heard and seen so far it seems to be a direct improvment over anything intel.
If the new ryzens turn out to be horrible though, I will just stick with my current rig for another coupple
of years, it still doesn't feel slow and it probably won't start any time soon since I only do the same things.

>From what I have read, heard and seen so far it seems to be a direct improvment over anything intel.
Anything you've read so far has been based of leaks, or the AMD presentation slides which are cherry picked as fuck.

In gaming and single core performance, it's unlikely AMD has taken the crown from intel.

For multicore performance, AMD already had the advantage with Ryzen 1000 and 2000, the 3000 chips will stretch this advantage even further.

But again, for pure gaming workloads, I still think we'll find the 9th gen intels are still better.

We'll see on the 7th.

intel is too overpriced nowadays, should i switch to an amd build? should i do it now or wait a few months? fuckin sucks i have to spend at least $500 to get a new cpu and mobo (on an i7 4790 now) cause of new sockets or whatever. the fuck, pc building isnt fun anymore just stupidly expensive for nothing drastic of speed improvements.

how close we talking because i'd mount it on my wall (at eye level) but I don't think it'd be that close to my face and I could always turn the brightness down a bit

Minimally wait for july 7th and the 3000 series ryzen chips.

>intel has nothing coming anytime soon
we dont know that. intel never gives info about their next release, they could announce it and release it within a month, not like amd that hypes their next release a year before.

while this chart is cute, it doesn't account for hardware and what can actually power that resolution, at what refresh rate and how stable.
For instance 144hz 1080p is very realistic for a lot of people, same as 1440p 60hz, beyond those, the cost for both the monitor and the hardware to power it raises exponentially.
So I suggest people get 1080p 144hz for gaming as a starting point and work from there depending on budget and if they prefer sharper image over a more smooth one then 1440p 60hz.

My desktop is still on a 3rd or 4th generation i5 because I have been very reluctant to change.
Doesn't matter if the leaks are full of false information or not.
Intel has failed so badly at every front that AMD cannot do anything worse than intel has already done.
At least not in the current era of processors.

alrighty, any prices known or is it relatively budget?

They generally have at least SOME announcement before hand, or indication they'll be releasing a chip soon.

Hot chips in August is their next big event where they COULD announce something.

funny you should mention that, I got an AMD gpu and spend 2 days of trouble shooting to get it stable to a point where it wont cook the rest of my PC components and force a crash.

Attached: toasty RAM.jpg (1820x1070, 493K)

Overpriced in my opinion, but we'll see how performance actually looks on the 7th with official reviews.

Attached: 2019-06-21 17_55_29.png (636x290, 33K)

Hello? This seems fucking retarded, I just want to be sure.

idk there are sneaky shills who say things like
>intel bad but this bad stuff is okay
all the time.

Yes, they tried to downplay the severity to protect their datacenter business... but consumer business, too.

20yo Japanese beaters can be fun, though.
Ushijima is like 35 and she's fun.

Intel has nothing until like 2 years for desktop, probably.
Maybe their GPU will be good and drive prices down. That's all I really care about for them. AMD CPUs have always been good to me, though I never bought FX.
Uhhh yes they do. It's just always super delayed lmao

There is no reason to have been considering Intel in 2019. They're just plain worse in every way except the high end but that's also looking to change with Ryzen 3000 series high end CPUs.

My ram is oc'd to 2933 but in task manager it's only showing this, why?

Attached: Capture.png (664x593, 29K)

and this is what two days worth of tinkering with fans, fan placement and curves, undervolting and testing have yielded I don't know if the silicon lottery here is good or not.
Is this any good, the coil whine is still there, so if you don't have headphones on there is this drilling high pitched sound.
With headphones on and listening to music/gaming it's not that noticeable.

Should I return this vega 64 nitro+?

Attached: vega 64 nitro+ fuckery.jpg (1836x2172, 1.21M)

>idk there are sneaky shills who say things like
>>intel bad but this bad stuff is okay
>all the time.
I see that shit too, but in this case i'm just tired of the blatant lying regarding disabling hyper threading, it's soooo untrue that EVERYONE has to disable it to be secure.

Honestly if it weren't for THAT in particular, I wouldn't have bothered getting into this shit slinging fest in the first place. It's just so blatant and wrong that it pisses me off something fierce.

I own AMD computers, and I own intel computers, I buy whatever makes the most sense for my personal use WHEN i buy it.

I know SSDs are the new hotness
but let's say I want some spinning trust for archiving/backups anyway
what brands and specifications are good rn?

>not knowing that it is double data rate
lel

What's a good graphics card to upgrade from GTX 750? also gonna upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 to get the Xbox game pass soon.

Attached: rig specs.png (485x161, 10K)

GTX 1660/1660Ti
RX 580/590