Game programming in C

Hi, I'm kinda new to programming but I would like to learn to code games in C. Do you have any tips and resources to help me start. The end goal would be to make some kind of Football Manager with ASCII-graphics clone.

Attached: 1561099007771.png (500x500, 37K)

Allegro
l
l
e
g
r
o

Bump

>1. Use a UNIX operating system to make your game (and really do any kind of programming). Windows is good only for playing games and doing spreadsheets.
>2. Learn to use the terminal at least to some basic level. If you choose Linux I recommend linuxjourney.com.
>3. Read K&R.
>4. ASCII graphics can be done manually but I recommend you use ncurses library (literally library for making ASCII programs).
That should be it.

Thanks for the advice, I've already done the first two though

sdl
opengl & glx
evdev

if C is so good then why is there D?

#include
#include
#include
#include
#include

good luck.

This but except 1 and 2. Nobody uses *nix outside servers, get win pc or Mac and enjoy stable environments backed by people who are interested in making tools usable because they get paid for it.

Use a proprietary engine on a proprietary OS and a proprietary scripting language if you actually want to make money

D is good

If D is so good then why is there E?

libGDX and Java/Kotlin
No need for that C rubbish. The GC won't hurt you.

Well I would like to do it in C as it is a language I find interesting and because many of my favorite programs are written in C

Nice bait.

I am not that guy but he is 100% correct. You are better off programming for a commodore or amiga machine than "desktop" linux. The only thing really reasonable to do on linux is character mode / terminal only. Linux uses a display server model that is still deeply rooted in mainframe/server & terminal architecture.

Learn and use C++

Game industry worker here.
1)Industry standard is Windows and Visual C++ (even for Playstation SDK which uses clang++)
2)ASCII is simple but can be as much of a bitch as graphics mode, unless you want VERY simple printings -> use a library like ncurses (don't use conio it's very deprecated and Borland only), otherwise assembly for text mode
3) If you decide to go old school VGA -> mode 13 assembly embedded in your C code. It's cool as fuck.
4) Read "The C Programming Language" aka K&R

Such bloat is unnecessary for an ASCII game unless you want to add tiles support.

E is good

They've got GPU drivers for the big three. Saying you cannot make games for Linux is on par of saying you cannot use a DE on the platform. Stating Linux is just a terminal is fucking brain-dead.

if E is so good then why is there F?

Trash bloated languages, specially for an ASCII thing.

F is good

R u s t

Unix had it right since its inception, its philosophy made it so the tools made following it are timeless and have the quality of being orthogonal. Windows is a marketing gimmick that's been going on for decades, it has no vision nor is it grounded on solid architectural bases. There is nothing wrong with learning how to suffocate and economically kill the competition from Microsoft, but they're shit when it comes to the quality of the software they make, 20 Gigs for an editor and a compiler, are you kidding me?? Target windows and build for it but use *Nix, it is degrading to be a professional and do something stupid just because the crowds are doing it, don't be that person.
I can't speak about Macs as I have never owned one before and I am not much into iOS.
tl;dr: You're a better developer just by using software with superior paradigms, Add some of the wisdom that the lisp folks have been brewing since the dawn of CS and you're ready to take off.