X86 IS FINISHED AND BANKRUPT

X86 IS FINISHED AND BANKRUPT

Attached: Screenshot_2019-06-21 Qualcomm Snapdragon 7cx to Power $300-$800 Arm-Based Laptops.png (713x728, 572K)

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-On-The-Win-Arm-Laptops
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>$800
>arm based
totally worth it...

Attached: 895.png (596x643, 17K)

*pays 800 dollars for an arm cellphone*

LMK when ARM is capable of turning pages in a PDF without a 5 second delay

>arm based laptops
>can't even be root
You are literally a guest in your home.

Attached: 1561058936382.png (1094x575, 93K)

Son, I am disappoint.

>ARMshit
>locked bootloader
>X86 BAD
Kill yourself.

wrong
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-On-The-Win-Arm-Laptops

Just a question of time before someone jailbreak it
But that price-point is just cringe

>implying I own a phone that is more than $100

Why do you think that?
there are rootable phones and shit, who says the laptops are gonna be unrootable?

Old nokia bro?

nope, a cheap samsung.

>flash linux
>loose half your hardware features
I know people wish for ARM laptops but they are even more proprietary pieces of shit than x86

Because the drivers aren't there yet

>shit cpus powering shitbooks

Still though I'm just not seeing the appeal
Current ARM doesn't provide any more freedom and any power efficiency gains requires ASICs and power management to be in good working order

>A processor class that isn't divided between only Intel and AMD
>GPUs that aren't divided between only AMD and Nvidia
>muh battery life
>muh price
>muh tablet & laptop together
If ARM starts to really compete with X86, everyone wins.

just buy a phone lmao

the drivers will never be there.
a SoC has gorillions of components that have closed drivers.
In any PC (pc means anything that has a BIOS or a compatible to BIOS interface) you can atleast load linux.

Qualcomm owns AMD though

what?
QC is another instance of the jewish shit that we see with Intel.... and btw they support israel.
The Arm ecosystem is shit and against the customer.
on 99% of the arm devices you can't install your own OS, you have to flash some prebuilt images, in the best case you need another machine, preferably PC, to create the image, support for drivers is scarse and everything has a lifespan of 1-2 years because those devices are simply irrelevant after that time.

>lets repeat this for the trillionth time
>in the last 40 years
>its true this time honest

Attached: 1426390486933.gif (280x210, 1.41M)

The good thing about PC is that everything, save for some video decoding on a IGPU, is done in software on x86's fuck huge cores so no special sauce is needed just to do basic tasks

This a couple different qualcomm SoCs. The drivers will mostly be the same for these windows on arm laptops

RISC when?

nobody wants an ARM powered laptop, you incompetent cunt.
>If ARM starts to really compete with X86, everyone wins.
nobody wins except intel. you let me know when you can find an ARM chip that's as powerful as Intel's recent offerings for laptops and you let me know how well it can emulate x86 without any performance loss whatsoever.

pro-tip: you fucking never will. because you seem to have no idea how CPUs work. i'm not sure if you're just a retarded chong or plain ol' computer illiterate? hard to tell.

>competitive against low-power i5
Kek
ARM server chips exist, they're far less powerful than their x86 counterparts.

It took a couple of decades for companies to start supporting linux.
you won't like it when arm takes you back to the 90s with their support.

have you checked how often the Arm ISA changes and how easily it gets obsolete?
Arm guarantees also no backwards compatibility after 2-3 generations.
I am still running the same .iso installation and same packages on my Pentium D, my i7 4700QM and my A10-7850K

What? AMD is a separate, independent company.

>Year of the ARM desktop
Morons have been parroting this shit ever since ARM started gaining market share in the mobile space.

>It took a couple of decades for companies to start supporting linux.
are you high? companies had been using unix for decades before linux became popular. moving to linux was a natural choice, not that they had much choice.

Did you use linux back in 2007? there was a good chance your wifi nic and touchpad wouldn't work

>Morons have been parroting this shit ever since ARM started gaining market share in the mobile space.
these same morons have no idea how CPUs work. just sad shills.

then enlighten the thread on how cpus work, user

I used Linux back in 2002. Not even the fucking hard disk worked.

Linux has never been heavily used on the desktop but is extremely heavily used in the datacenter.

i've been using linux since '02/'03, driver support was shit then and is still shit now. what is your point exactly?

It's a lot better now :)

yes, only took them the best part of 20 years.

>It's a lot better now :)
Been hearing this since the 1990s. Always 10 years behind Windows.
SSDs are the same: always
>It's a lot better now :)
Then your data disappears exactly like a 2011 Sandforce.

always backup your data

Yes. Too bad you can't back up the $$$ you wasted on it.
This is why my server still has, of all fucking things, a VelociRaptor in it.

Are these things actually not locked down? I thought Microsoft demanded they have Secure Boot forced on with the MS keys only.

Why should we "upgrade" to machines we have to exploit to own? x86 machines have their flaws but at least you can freely boot anything you want on them without using exploits.

Which is hilarious given how Linux has invaded just about everything except the desktop.

Makes perfect sense to me.
On the desktop, people have to do their own administration, troubleshooting, etc. - something that "just werks" is highly attractive.
On the server (or whatever), you have an already-paid-for IT department to do that work, so something that is "free" is highly attractive.

god I fucking hate ARM so much why can't we go back to programming on a PS2 running linux?
>want to install OS
>computer has ARM cpu
>"woopsie doopsie!! you need BLOBS for that xD xD"
>what the fuck is blobs?
>"drivers uwu"
>okay, where do I find them?
>"uuhhh, nowhere desu! nobody wrote them yet!"
I want to kill all trannies shilling this piece of shit architecture
fuck ARM, fuck android, fuck Windows for ARM, fuck apple and fuck you faggot OP

Get a load of this old man all mad about new technology.

i don't like that we're using a 40 year old architecture but come the fuck on, ARM is still shit. Where the FUCK is RISCV by the way?

>Are these things actually not locked down? I thought Microsoft demanded they have Secure Boot forced on with the MS keys only.
Nope. That hasn't been a thing since the windows rt days. Even the windows they run is full windows 10 on arm.

>ive been raped in the ass six times a day since I was born
>my anal prolapse, aids and Stockholm syndrome are therefore perfectly normal

>RISCV
That's an even bigger meme than ARM. At least ARM... exists.

riscv is an ultra hipster meme

Come home free man.

Attached: 1559318306151.jpg (2745x4000, 2.13M)

>Qualcomm
Yikes

> people are making fun of my preferred shit-tier CPU
there there, faggot. don't cry. you'll always be BTFO, possibly for eternity.

Attached: 1439710047999.jpg (474x352, 29K)

Frothy non-arguments.

but how can an architechture be bankrupted?

Yes, we know you're pic related. There's no need to shout about it.

Attached: 1288367321063.jpg (450x571, 49K)

Thanks incel shill. Your extra frothiness is noted.

Make sure you mention the Intel lawsuit against qualcom for emulating x86.

RISC IS COMING bACK
>OVerly complicated bloated instruction sets BTFO

Stop shitting all over the thread, kid. The adults are talking now.

Except x86 has been RISC at the hardware level for like 2 decades now

Wasted digits for being wrong. I don't know why this stupid meme keeps going.

>implying any fa/g/got knows a damn thing about processor/microarchitecture design

Attached: 1548697155625.png (243x200, 70K)

Last I heard Nvidia was dwelling with RISC-V for their chiplet shit.

I don't know why people keep championing RISC like the term means anything today

I'll wear that one. My mistake.

It does mean something: RISC hits instruction fetch, memory access and thermal walls much sooner than CISC. I'm old enough to remember when even a mid-range RISC processor belted a Pentium that was probably more expensive. Then the 5GHz wall arrived, and guess what? "muh arm 1/10th x86 on 1/20th powar, muh risc perf/watt" - its funny and sad at the same time. I hated Itanium, but if we had to start over, VLIW would be the future, not RISC, for these reasons,.

>my mistake
Um... OK, carry on then.

Attached: spock wtf.gif (300x225, 944K)

Frothy.

>I hated Itanium, but if we had to start over, VLIW would be the future, not RISC, for these reasons
Transmeta was interesting. Shame they got sued to death so early on.
At least their earliest patents should be expiring soon.

>more walmart shitbooks running the wrong operating system
wow it's fucking nothing

Yeah man, fuck Intel and AMD, let's replace them with Qualcomm, Samsung and a small handful of nobodies distantly trailing behind them, all with their own proprietary locked-down SoCs that require specifically targeted operating system builds just to function correctly. I can't wait for all the Free Market(TM) competition!

Man, fuck ARM shills so fucking much. If you think an x86->ARM switch would be anything but the death of desktops as anything more than a desk-sized smartphone, you're a fucking idiot.

quality bait

Power is important as any system is idle most of the time, cf. smartphones. And if it wants to be fast, it should offload processing to GPU or use cores. And no matter how much performance your system has, it can be easily brought to a crawl just because some codemonkey thought the bells and whistles are more important than doing real shit.

>implying ARM will ever completely replace x86
It's for extremely mobile PCs where thinness and battery life matter above all else. They'll probably get used with the Modern OS Microsoft mentioned at Computex.

x86 was shit when it first came out and made rapid advancements too. So let ARM progress.

AAA gaymes are all tranny propaganda anyway and must die in a fire.

at one point yours was
don't larp

have sex

>Buy a laptop with an ARM processor
>Literally no software runs on it cause compatibility

How will they solve this

Attached: 552535212.jpg (480x470, 30K)

Almost all open source software works on arm. You may have worse performance in stuff with handrolled assembly like x265 though.

Electron has 1/100 performance of native application, and people brag about it, so 1/10 is fine.

>open source
Sorry but I have a real work to do.
Drawing a round circles, for example.

>. So let ARM progress.
in three decades they'll have a CPU to compete with an old intel from 2019. looking forward to it.

ARM was pretty much on-par or above average among desktop processors early on, it only really started lagging behind the '90s, along with most other RISCs in general.

It's never about time, it's about market focus.

Attached: 1558332990031.png (680x680, 124K)

I can draw perfectly round circles in TikZ

Attached: windows rt.jpg (480x360, 15K)

>Almost all open source software
So a fraction of a tiny fraction of all software in use? Wow great.

All of this because Intel can't get their smaller nodes manufactured. ARM is shit for power.

>but it runs some basic bitch web/productivity stack software!
All of those people already switched to iPads years ago.

Based Freedreno has Vulkan too.

Lots of people want ARM laptops actually. It's good for most non-power users which is most people. They have enough performance and superior battery life than any intel-based counterparts.

Don't know why you bothered posting that since that's completely different. x86 and x86-64 programs are emulated and other programs are starting to be recompiled for ARM which will provide another significant performance boost.

Checked and actuallyhasajobpilled.

>muh ARM
>muh locked bootloader
I'm not a cuck. Unless it's less than 20$ I'm not wasting money on something without a proper UEFI/BIOS where I can install any arm OS I want.

Can it run crysis?

>x86 and x86-64 programs are emulated
lmao ok

>QualcoNVV\
nice keming

ARM isn't any better, have you ever seen its instruction sets?