Why do zoomers love app stores so much?

Why do zoomers love app stores so much?

Attached: 1531771424174.png (1133x864, 260K)

It's easier.
t. Boomer

Because that's how Google and Apple call it.

Because package managers don't have a good enough search feature
>apt install steam
>apt install war thunder
>apt install mozilla firefox
>apt install libre office impress
Neither of these work.

I prefer downloading executable files from the internet and placing them in a directory of my choosing and running them right out of the box.

apt search?

sudo apt-get install girlfriend

I don't want to search, I want to install. The package manager should do the searching.

not gonna lie, I hate the over-fragmented software model.
a couple of driver-like dependencies is fine, but otherwise everything else should come shipped with; thus it just doesn't break, and you never run into dependency races (and don't pretend that never happens or that "haha just update haha" when you know damn well these things stop updating whenever, and nobody can actually do the updating)
This is why windows > linux > mac. It's got nothin to do with big dollar.

Then how do you find an app in the app store? Don't you use the search?

I type what I want to install and click install, it's that simple. As opposed to getting 100 error messages telling me to try again.

So it's exactly the same number of steps, search then install

hmmmmmmmm

The arch wiki works for me most times

Attached: linux-1.png (431x352, 8K)

>apt search mozilla firefox
>scroll up and down up and down between text, no images in sight
>figure out which is the latest version, should I get stable, testing, "dbg"
>apt install.... what was the name again?
Lol

based retard zoomer

You're too retarded to know if you should use the testing, debugging or stable version of firefox? Jesus christ

I'm not retarded, I am not supposed to care. I want "mozilla firefox" not 50 versions of it.

Also the stable package is literally just firefox, you can't fuck that up, sudo apt install firefox

one more little piece of information required, scaring another 10% of normies away
the absolute state of developerfag unawareness

Why would you not care about the software you install?

You can easily install testing and beta versions of software on all the major app stores too m8

Because I want the browser mozilla firefox. There is only one browser mozilla firefox so I don't care about internal shenanigans with testing and debug, that breaks the fourth wall.

OH GOD WHICH ONE DO I DOWNLOAD

Attached: Screenshot_2019-06-22_00-07-29.png (520x313, 49K)

Attached: scrot.png (669x496, 31K)

that's because you didn't use sudo :^)

zoomer logic is thinking terminals are hard and difficult to use.

>I am not supposed to care about the software I install on my device

???

Attached: [HorribleSubs] Strike Witches - 501-butai Hasshin Shimasu! - 11 [720p]_00:02:35_02.jpg (1280x720, 214K)

It's true.
t. Boomer

Making a few taps on the screen or clicks with a mouse is LITERALLY easier that wright anything in a terminal. Not much, but still easier. How's that specifically a "zoomer logic?

KDE doesn't have this problem.

Attached: 1200px-Discoverfront.png (1200x675, 234K)

USING TERMINAL DO NOT MAKES YOU SPECIAL IN A GOOD WAY

you dont have reviews, ratings, even basic videos in most of them

There is no difference between a package manager and an app store other than the name

u kidding rite?

u mean when it decides to actually start up and work?

It's easier to find stuff. Generally, there are aliases and categories, so you don't have to know the exact name the package creator decided to give his package and you see icons which makes it much faster to scan for what you want.
But what am I saying, loontards will never understand UX design.

I fucking hate app stores, but GUIs are massively superior to text-based for desktop/laptop use, fuck writing shit hunched over your keyboard all day when you could just do the same thing with a few clicks of the mouse, sometimes faster ever.

>how
BACK TO YOUR POO STREETS PAJEET GET THE FUCK OUTTTT

>what is a graphical package manager
>what is search command

This is why Linux will never take off in desktops. You don't seem to understand that people don't give a fuck about checking fucking hashes and browsing through 50 different versions of a program (i368, AMD64, etc and for each a test, dbg, and stable version, and that's just the newest version, you usually get the few latest ones on the same page too). Oh and then you have to remember the name and type it out to install it (ff_50.32_uhh what was that again?). Everything but the latest stable release is an extremely rare use case relatively, people just want to install the fucking program. This isn't just for the not tech savvy (for whom this process is nigh impossible as they don't even know what an "AMD" or a "dbg" is), this goes for everyone: I know exactly what the stuff is, it just takes me way too many actions, too much typing, and too much bullshit to do it. On Windows, I can google "Firefox", click the first result, click install, and I'm done.

Also Firefox is one of the absolute best case scenarios and probably not the best example, less common programs will be much more annoying to get. Nobody wants to waste time with this shit, people don't give a fuck about all these choices, they just want to get their program as fast as possible and get back to whatever they were doing.

Attached: 1550952545096.png (300x300, 13K)

This.

>graphical package manager
what's the difference between a graphical package manager and app store?

This + fragmentation and elitists.

No, KDE just has every other possible problem.

They fixed it, latest few releases were rock solid...befor that it was a POS

Jesus just use pamac or many more ghraphical package manager

Jesus how retarded are you?

> apt install steam
works fine
>apt install war thunder
on steam
>apt install firefox
just firefox idiot. no mozilla
>apt install libreoffice
no spaces.

Because they grew up in a time when "program" was being called "app" short for "application." Just like those faggots who grew up in the "folder" age instead of the "directory" age.

Because zoomers only have access to smart devices that are so locked down they have no choice but to use an appstore, they don't really know any different

Rent free

>Why do zoomers love app stores so much?
colorful shit
screenshot
comments
rate system
recommendations
changelog

>KDE just has every other possible problem.
Like scaring away archtards obsessed with shitty WMs like i3?

Yes, the average person IS stupid

This, what loonixtards don't understand is that for the vast majority of people, their PC is a tool. You don't want to troubleshoot your wrench, you don't want to have to find the right screw among 50 variants to upgrade your wrench, you just want the fucking wrench to work as a wrench so you can do what you need to do. Does checking hashes and having "full control" let me sim fluids in Houdini faster? How about make me better at Matlab? No? Then the more actions there are between me starting my PC and starting to work in Solidworks the worse it is, I don't give a shit about all this autistic opsec bullshit and customizing my desktop environment, I just need it to be as out of my way as possible, because the customer needs this suspension design by next month and I don't have time to waste on trivial bullshit.

Someone said it best: Linux is only free if your time has no value. If you're a sysadmin, need an OS for a server, or other niche uses then it may be great, but for the vast majority of people it's just a timesink. It's funny that people who use Linux always poke fun at shitty smart devices like smart lightbulbs that need an internet connection and 5 firmware updates to just fucking turn on, when that is exactly what happens with Linux: I only need my PC to launch whatever application I need to work in, everything else is just extra shit that gets in the way.

I honestly agree. I've never really understood the people who want Linux to go to the average consumer desktop. It's only the most dumbed down software that can work in that market segment, so Linux would have to throw away most of what makes it a decent operating system in order to please people who only uses a computer because they have to.
A Linux distribution could work but it would have to make some radical changes to how software is installed and configured. Elementary OS has the right idea with their app center but the system settings need to be streamlined a lot more and they need to get it preloaded on the hardware like Windows is.
Personally, I don't see that many benefits to going for that market. I'd probably try and go for the professional market with AutoCAD and the like instead but they'd have to work with the 3D modeling companies to get that to work.

Attached: 1523341245687.png (560x600, 619K)

Use flatpaks :^)

Maybe try
>pacman -Ss
or
>apt-cache search
You absolute fucking retard. As said, just use pamac or Ubongo's "software centre" if a single command is too much.

Attached: file.png (684x529, 126K)

I write exactly what I want to install and the package manager has to figure out what I mean in its own shitty repos. So why do I write firefox instead of firefox_67.51.09-release or why not just Mozilla firefox? Rhetorical question.

>try this try that
Ubuntu devs chose apt as the default. If the default is shit, I don't use it, simple as.

again,
>apt-cache search
if you use ubongo. how much fucking harder could you make it? keep seething retard

Why would that be necessary? You still don't understand what usability is.

>necessary
make up your fucking mind. you started off complaining that package managers don't have a "good enough search" feature, which, as it turns out, they do (a single concise command in fact), then move onto the argument; "hurr durr, why is that necessary? why do I have to type commands".

well, good news brainlet, you don't. nobody ever said it's "necessary". use a graphical frontend and quit bitching

Ubuntu is making the transition from apt to snap as default package manager.

why would i want a stable package, do you see any fucking horses in my computer

It's a pipe dream that maybe people could be anything other than educated stupid about their computers and gain a shred of skill/understanding if they used Linux. Nerds just want to spread knowledge. But they don't understand why someone would just want something to work without having any idea what makes it work.

There's a lot in this world to learn. Most people have no time and energy left for operating systems, since let's face it, it's pretty damn low on the knowledge ladder.

I don't want to apt to tell me what the software is called, I know what it's called - it doesn't.

>could be anything other than educated stupid about their computers and gain a shred of skill/understanding if they used Linux.
Why would I care about that? How does that help me in any way? Why would I bother spending months/years learning to handle Linux when I can just install an OS that just works and lets me learn things that are actually productive?

>still using apt-get

Attached: 1549596329303.jpg (226x223, 9K)

You can use a graphical package manager if you want

And most of the time it is single stel

Or alternately sudo apt install mac

based wt shittler

Kek

You are supposed to dedicate almost every day of your life deciphering "manpages" to accomplish typically mundane things (like copying files to and from your phone or attaching a flash drive).
Then radiate overwhelming sense of pride over everyone else. Other easily impressionable people will follow along and do the same. That's what peak productivity looks like.
Welcome to MentalWard/Linux.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-06-22 LukeSmithxyz - Overview.png (1588x792, 70K)

How recently? I tried it three weeks ago and it was still shit.

>brew install boyfriend

Attached: IMG_20190620_202738_135.jpg (720x853, 83K)

Linux is a better tool for those who know how to use it

The OS is not a tool unless you are a sysadmin or similar, which is a tiny minority.

It's not about price (free "gratis") but instead about freedom (free "libre")

Why should the OS cater to you, did you not consider that there are people who DO want the other versions?

There aren't hundreds of results you liar. There's at most 6 and the one you want is clearly marked.

They're pretty to look at.

nothing, that the fuckin point idiot

No, the customizability of gnu/Linux allows more efficiency and it is simply faster than other oses

I've never heard anyone, including zoomers, claim that they love app stores.

>warthunder
Jean/Paul is that you?

>I type what I want to install and click install
So literally a search. What is your problem again?

Imagine being retarded and then recommending an OS because it caters to your retardation

A graphical package manager is just an app store.

based and fpbp

It's not faster than mac os which is the definition of lowlatency desktop OS with zero microstuttering. No, linux lowlatency configs don't come close.

OS speed is basically irrelevant in productivity. Rarely will it make a difference in a third party productivity application.

>You don't want to troubleshoot your wrench, you don't want to have to find the right screw among 50 variants to upgrade your wrench, you just want the fucking wrench to work as a wrench so you can do what you need to do.
what the fuck. did you by vast majority mean people who will never use a wrench ever?

Jesus fucking Christ. Use the search feature you retard. Literally single-digit IQ for complaining about how finding packages "is hard."
--help
man

Attached: brainlet.jpg (680x723, 78K)

This post illuminates perfectly why it will never be the year of desktop Linux

repositories are useful and relatively secure compared to the shit show that we call "download this exe from the internet"

Holy fucking shit, this board is truly dead.
>Jow Forums - Consumer Electronics

t. Zoomer

>OMG PACKAGE MANAGERS

Attached: extrasoy.webm (1200x720, 787K)