/pcbg/ - PC Building General

ATTENTION: The Navi RX 5700XT and RX 5700 will launch alongside Ryzen 3000 series CPUs with PCIe 4.0 on 7/7/2019. Nvidia is releasing a SUPER series with slightly increased specs over the original 20 series. Pricing is looking high. More info on the SUPER series possible on 6/21.

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>i7 8700 or 9700K - Extreme solution for absolute max FPS
>R7 2700/X - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard
>RTX 2060 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
1440p
>RTX 2060 - standard
>RTX 2080 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 - standard
>RTX 2080Ti - better fit for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's high refresh with adaptive sync
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

old

Attached: f4b9be438cceaa63afa25de295849e6045d7df0a_hq.jpg (930x618, 128K)

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/eSefdll
sven.de/dpi/
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/KdnR29
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/9hMWNQ
benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/
kingston.com/dataSheets/HX433C16PB3K2_16.pdf
pcpartpicker.com/list/bF8tP3
pcpartpicker.com/list/8NzVMZ
youtu.be/kVdlBxdqv8s?t=61
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What are American prices for WD Blue 1tb ssd drives for?

>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
Here's how to do it: imgur.com/a/eSefdll

Attached: IMmghpT.jpg (3508x2481, 959K)

I still don't get how do you read this shit

>pick a distance
>intersect horizontally with visual acuity curve
>intersesect vertically with resolution curve
>intersect horizontally with diagonal size

Attached: Capture+_2019-06-22-10-21-51.png (1423x1377, 705K)

>ask Jow Forums about good price/performance cpu
>everyone tells me to buy ryzen
>enter CPU-Z thread
>intel i5's and i7's everywhere
>only a handfull ryzen owners

Why are you fuckers like this?!

Attached: 2cac71a0ae14fe345801e20202b379de-imagepng.png (185x273, 88K)

Look at this sven.de/dpi/ and press the resolution and screen size on the far right of your choice.

Now any combo you do ~90-110+ is like a general range of ppi people seek out. Of course to see that ppi irl and your viewing distance factors in but best check monitors in person so you can see your ideal screen size and ppi for your resolution choice.

Go walk wrist first into a box cutter

Attached: bazooper.jpg (1000x1481, 344K)

>Getting a pre-built with a i5-9400 and a RX570, then buying a 1070 or 1080 later
Y/N?

Depends what they want for it outright?

Took me a while to realize the colours are in 2 groups. Doesn't help that they're almost the same colours, and honestly, who's going to pick anything but "most acute vision"?

$1,600 AUD for the PC, and two monitors as a bundle, the RTX570 the cheapest GPU option

Also depends on if it's a pre-built like some Acer or Alienware crap or if it's a custom pre-built from a hardware vendor. If it's the former the PSU's are usually shit and stuff is sometimes even soldered so it might not even be possible to change GPU without making other modifications as well.

I currently have 1 8GB RAM stick in my PC, I want to expand that to 16GB and dual channel. Is it true that it's not smart to mix RAM sticks from different packages, even if they're the same model though? Reading some posts online say that it's not smart because they haven't been tested together, but it's not like shit won't work or something right?

It's a custom built

Jesus, why wouldn't you just put together a B450/R5 2600/GTX1080 system to begin with?

>Took me a while to realize the colours are in 2 groups
All right, I'll make some usability improvements.
>who's going to pick anything but "most acute vision"?
Some retard, I guess. I put it there to show what's the upper limit of human perception. If you want to stay on the safe side, then there's the average vision, otherwise the 6/6 Vision should be the best curve.

I'm guessing he's getting a cheap pre-owned 1080. Quite a bit cheaper than getting a 2070 from the store.

money mostly, the cheaper system + two monitors is a lot cheaper than a 1080 build

>getting impatient for 7/7
>check intel's prices
>nope

When will third party 5700's be available? Because I'm guessing the 7/7 release is just blower style as usual?

yeah, a used 1080 or 1070, funds permitting

>buying Ryzen 2000 now

Why not ditch the GPU and get a pre-owned 1080 straight away? Can't be that much of a difference if you factor in having to sell the 570 etc. Or is it a non-configurable package deal?

Then build your own system with the second hand 1080/new RX570?
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/KdnR29 what monitors are you getting as part of the deal?

They'll work fine, even if they're different models. People have been mix-and-matching different RAM sticks for years

I need help deciding a case. So far its going to be a B450 board with a Ryzen 3600. (I wait for reviews first, and check compability.

I just want space to hide my cables AND my Fan controller from the sight. Currently rocking an S340, and while the case was okay, the HDD rack is a joke, and there is not enough space (for me) to hide alll the cables

Attached: 800px-Keanu_Reeves_at_São_Paulo,_Brazil_--_2019-04-03_(cropped).jpg (800x941, 143K)

Okay thanks, figured they were over-zealous in being perfect or some shit. I'll just stick with the same model though, cheapest one with the same frequency and I don't really want to differ in that.

Hell, you could chuck in a brand new 2070 for that budget
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/9hMWNQ
Keep in mind, this example has a good motherboard and good RAM which should be a good path to a 3600X or beyond should you feel the need.

now all we have to do is wait for GPUs to come down
just a few more years

Attached: 1535944715449.png (743x666, 642K)

>there is not enough space (for me) to hide all the cables
maybe try something like this

Attached: 1539046235267.jpg (580x281, 50K)

Oh really funny

Attached: 1473227752004.jpg (600x602, 82K)

to be fair, you're having space issues in a full tower
are you running 0 gauge wires or something

Modular PSU saves a whole lot of unnecessary cables, as does M2.

MSI b450m Mortar
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW 3
Ryzen 3600
CRUCIAL 1TB P1 M.2
HyperX 16GB Predator DDR4 3333MHz CL16
COOLERMASTER MWE Bronze 650W
Fractal Design Define Mini C (with no window shit)

Would u change anything?
Should cost me about ~1050$ in total

I'm a brainlet and I don't understand fan curves on Radeon settings.

There's a few select games that for some reason kick up the fans like crazy. Generally AAA games or anything strong gets my card to something like 73-75C at a relatively low fan speed for hours. However a few games are being shitty about it and the fans are going up and up until a temperature well under 60C is reached (which as a result makes the computer loud, since the GPU is like the only thing that can honestly be heard from a distance).

Issue is, I recall there were some options related to temperature limits a while ago and they are not there anymore, just some sort of fan curve. I'm really dumb at that, so I don't know what the defaults are so I can set the game profile to that (if it even lets me, honestly). There's already a game profile for the game that was added after installing the game. In this case is Deus Ex: MD but it does happen in like 2 or 3 titles I tried (on Crysis 3 it would just fucking ignore anything and kick the fans all the way up too)

get the meshify mini

Get a quality PSU, it's the best investment you can make when getting a new PSU and if you buy quality you get a semi-passsive, quiet and high performing PSU that will last you upwards of 10 years. Check out the Corsair RMx series or Seasonic. Worth every cent.

What if he's going for a quiet build?

it comes with window glass shit and front panel looks like ive mashed it with my leg, whats the upside ?

Whats the problem with this one, it has great cooler in it, quiet , might not be most efficient but giving 100% more money on 10% efficiency sounds weird

the normalized dB wouldn't be much different
the meshify flows better than almost every case on the market since its basically missing a front panel

My 8-year old desktop died a couple days ago, it had a Pentium E6500
What is the sweet spot for processors now if you're an ultra casual?

What numbers are we talking here
Mesh c vs mini c
If it's 5% meme i dont want it

>obsessed with percentages
look it up yourself

Pretty solid base. Change the PSU for something Gold or Platinum rated, and got for 3200CL14 memory of you can.
Having case fans run at minimal speeds makes open cases just as quiet as the "silence focused" cases. Only audible difference is maybe marginally increased HDD noise.

You get what you pay for. Cheap PSU's usually have low quality capacitors, are loud, have bad efficiency, higher Temps, aren't modular etc. and have bad warranty. Using one of those bad boys for more than a few years is pushing your luck and in the same time frame of say 10 years you'll be buying at least 2 or 3 of these instead of a quality PSU with a 10yr warranty so in the long run your still paying the same, only difference is that you in the latter case get a quality product instead of several cheap and bad ones.

It's your choice but the PSU is the single worst component to cheap out on.

I've seen this post a couple times already, how long has this been happening? Genuinely curious.

Ryzen

Hello samefag

I'm asking since I cant seem to find difference over 5% negligible at that point I think

What will Gold/Plat bring over Bronze except longer warranty? Also I plan to overclock it to 3600 CL15 since it's Samsung memory should be pretty capable and easy

They use literally same fans as more expensive ones, I cannot seem to see any downside beside sure warranty but yeah how often do they really die? Even worst ones last 5 years or so.

I'm having 3 HDD+1 SSD, however I have 4 Fan with crazy long cable

>600 CL15 since it's Samsung memory
"no"
benzhaomin.github.io/bdiefinder/

the bang-for-buck meme has not only infected your mind but controls you like a puppet master

kingston.com/dataSheets/HX433C16PB3K2_16.pdf

What the fuck are you even saying

Need halp.

Planning to change MB ram and cpu, old one will be sold, change is planned for september-october.

Current: Asrock b75 r2. I5 3570, 2x8 DDR3, rtx 2060, 1080p monitor.

Purpose: gaming, vms.

Budget:500$ + everything from sellout.

What I plan: x470 taichi + amd 3600x + 2x8 ddr4

Intel g5400 is your choise or amd 2200G

What exactly do you think that spec sheet proves?

I'm not fighting you moron I was just wondering since XMP timings seem to be like ones you get on b die memory , anyway i could get VENGEANCE® LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3600MHz C18 for same amount of money , think that would be easier to work with ?

pcpartpicker.com/list/bF8tP3

The rest I already own. This is just what im going to upgrade to after owning this/

Attached: What should i upgrade.png (643x399, 17K)

dead platform fren
just sell it and go for ryzun 6 core

guys a quick help pls.
i'm on samsung c24fg7x buyed new on 60% sale. this is the last thing i will save for my new pc build. i have a 1050ti, and i want to save it because i don't have many money for a new graphic card. can you suggest me a build?

CMK16GX4M2B3600C18
That one is b-die, though a not great bin. Would probably get 3733 c16 out of it with some effort.

>2700
>1650

why such a mismatch? if you're using it to play games then you can just get a 2600 and b450 board and contribute the savings towards a better graphics card because the 1650 is pretty garbage. get at least a 1660 ti or a used 1070/ti or something along those lines. possibly an rx 580 for around $100.

Are samsung SSDs a meme? Why are they so fucking expensive?

>i'm on samsung c24fg7x buyed new on 60% sale. this is the last thing i will save for my new pc build. i have a 1050ti, and i want to save it because i don't have many money for a new graphic card. can you suggest me a build?
don't understand what you're asking

Because intel was popular before, and many have relatively old pcs that they dont have a need to change

They're typically (disregarding QVO) the fastest drives with the best endurance and longest warranties.
If you don't really NEED those things there's nothing wrong with going cheaper.

Yeah well at that point I think it's more of a roll of luck than anything else

Does anyone know if newer AMD GPUs still have a flip queue size tweak available through the settings? As in, does it still work?

Bought a new laptop, first hand, for 300€ so i can play some old games, store pictures and browse the webs. (4GB RAM, R5-2500U, 1TB)
I will add an 128GB SSD for boot.
I also want to add 4GB of RAM and that becomes tricky. Made a few computers but first time diving into a laptop.
It has 4GB of 2400mhz C17 ram soldered into the mobo. I have the chips reference, i wanna add 4GB. What do? SR, DR? X8, X16?
The computers manufacturer's website is a solid mess and of barely any help.

Attached: sitting-30cm-Cute-Persian-Cat-Toy-Cushion-Super-Soft-Cartoon-Cat-Sofa-Pillow-Pet-Cat-Play.jpg_220x22 (220x220, 7K)

what a shitpost.

>Maybe your old card had fins going length wise or something? Cross ways is more common, though.
Yes, my old gpu had fins goin gelngth wise so it dumped the heat more towards back and end, rather than on it's sides. Still it was 150-180W card, it's amazing how much of a difference that makes if that is the sole cause.

>42-51C on the DIMMs isn't a significant temp at all. RAM is more liable to flip bits when cold, anyway.
Again with my RAM overclock it was an issue.
And no RAM is more stable if you keep it cooler/room, the hotter it gets the more unstable it gets and 5deg can make a difference of errors and system crashing, if your ram is OCed and has manual tight timings. If the timings are loose as fuck, then it's more heat tolerant but then you are leaving a lot of performance off the table.
Nitro+ was 426 euros, the vega 56 is 295euros.
Price difference of 132 euros.
The performance difference of the nitro+ is worth about 37euros or so.
So I am paying about 100 euros worth for a better cooler with an extra fan, more heatpipes, more fins, and double the VRM components and phases.

I can get 1070ti really cheap. Still worth it for 1440p? I'm not feeling RTX

yeah well worth it. 1070 ti is basically on par with a 2060. overclock that shit to the max and you'll have a 10% slower 2070 without rtx but for way cheaper.

>use 24inch 1080p at 60-70cm it's okay not mind blowing but not bad either
>graph tells me I should be using 1440p on 24inch
Nice theory, but not many displays of such caliber and 1440p 27inch is something far more common and far more practical.

Just get Vega 56

This. Undervolt. Overclock. Slap a Morpheus on this bad boy and you're good to go.

pcpartpicker.com/list/8NzVMZ

How's this build? My lappy can't keep up with new indie games. I can get it for $900 ausbux, haven't looked around too much, just going off the MSY catalogue. Don't really want to spend much more. Got plenty of external storage already, happy with current peripherals.

I have 2x8GB@3200MHz of RAM in my PC, I also have 2x4GB@2400MHz lying around. Should I just put those in my PC? Aside from using too many tabs in firefox, I don't think it's running out of memory. Any negatives to adding that extra RAM?

There is literally no need for custom cooling unless youre going to unlock w in bios , just get sapphire w samsung memory and vega 64 bios , gonna be like 1080 mostly ez for 280euro

Im getting the 1660 for now, then im gonna sell it once i see a price drop in the rtx

How much performance increase do you actually get from RAM at like 3200 Cas 16 vs Cas 14
And 1 stick vs 2 sticks vs 4 sticks

you want dual channel 3600 c 12

Antec 900 case (usb 2.0 version)
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard
AMD Athlon FX-60
Sapphire Radeon HD 4890
8gb Qimonda HYS72D256320HBR-5-C ram
Corsair HX-650w PSU

I have a Thermaltake Big Typhoon with lots of mounting hardware, but that's not the best air cooler I could get for socket 939 right? What cooler should I get for this setup? Preferably something that's not super rare and will show up on ebay at some point.

that 3200MHz RAM will only run at 2400MHz if you add the 2400MHz RAM in your system.

wtf it's going on with cryorig's cpu coolers? I can't seem to find in the us h7 or m9 for their normal pricing.

100W more yields 5fps on average, 1% lows and 0.1% lows
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Attached: vega 64 nitro+ performance compare.jpg (1901x2005, 848K)

Enjoy paying out your ass for marginal performance increase with that lower latency and then pray for the cpu and board to work well with it?

Holy fuck how are you going to cool dat 300w power draw?

Every DDR4 module has a base clock of 2133 MHz. Anything over that is overclocking. So running both pairs at 2400 will work just fine.

Ever heard of overclocking?

Sure, and that requires modules which advertise such speeds. The price difference between advertised C16 and C14 is huge already.

best bang for buck right now is ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro

Attached: 1538905129793.jpg (915x744, 107K)

105 eur is not that much really

175€ for 2x 8GB 3600 C16
135€ for 2x 8GB 3200 C14
72€ for 2x 8GB 3200 C16

It's two and a half times as much as 3200 C16, my usual shop doesn't even offer 3600 C14 or C12. Yeah, the difference is 105€, but that could be spent better on other components in my opinion.

Expensive? I got a 500GB NVMe one for about 100€, that's crazy cheap and will only get cheaper in the future.

youtu.be/kVdlBxdqv8s?t=61

Attached: and this is to go even further BEYOND AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.jpg (629x547, 157K)

>ADATA
That's a funny way of spelling Goldenfir

different countries different prices

I'm planning to have a 240GB m.2 SSD, however the problems are my Chink fans. I have 4 and they have stupidly long cables+controller