What am i in for?

its coming in the mail

an upgrade from my i7-920... I will OC it as well

Attached: s-l300.png (300x300, 154K)

Other urls found in this thread:

intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/specification-updates/xeon-5600-specification-update.pdf
anandtech.com/bench/product/2421?vs=2363
youtube.com/watch?v=pBtT-vYeIyE
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Xeon-X3480-vs-AMD-Ryzen-3-1200/m36484vs3931
youtube.com/watch?v=VMbUXKsMKKA
techpowerup.com/forums/threads/meltdown-and-spectre-patched-bios-for-x58-motherboards.246101/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I have an old computer that had a watercooled i7 920 in it, and I did this upgrade last summer. Overclocked it to 4.0ghz. It does everything I need it to. Gaming isn't bad either ( 1070ti ), but the processor bottlenecks. Can still play most titles on high / ultra with good performance. It's definitely got more horsepower than the 920.

No AVX, but if your motherboard/cooling is good enough, it might be able to OC to 4.4+Ghz.

Guys what about a gigabyte H57 with a x3450? Over from a shitty i3 530.

Throw it in the trash.

The mobo itself works flawelessly, I OC'd the 530 to 4.1ghz. To get the same performing ryzen would cost much more cash.

it'll be a nice peformance bump from the i7.

Old enterprise kit from the 56xx era is fuggin' cheap now days, why not go for a more spicy chip like the x5680, x5690, or if you can find it the rare-as-rockinghorse-shit x5698 that hit a blistering 4.4GHz out of the box in 2011

OP here. d best bang for buck i found and purchased was a $23 x5670. the 5680 is about $100 and honestly they are all EXTREMELY similar regards performance....even a 50 is similar to an 80

Can you even overclock Xeons from that era, or are they all locked?

intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/specification-updates/xeon-5600-specification-update.pdf

#neverobsolete

Attached: Annotation.png (999x912, 314K)

Multiplier's within 2-3 points. Best to set it to default and increase the base clock. You can get 3.6ghz stable then turbo boost goes to 4+ easily.

Lots, and lots of sex my friend. Lots of sex.

I went to a 5680 from an E5507. I don't see myself needing anything more for quite some time.

And the base clock can be changed stably? Because I recall that on the following Sandy Bridge architecture even changing the base clock to 105 MHz could already make your PC crap itself.

You're correct, I could only go to 104 on my i5 2400. However, these older motherboards are of a bygone era where (((they))) put quality components not preventing you from OC. Watch some tutorials and see the clocks of other people to not ruin the mobo tho.

>tfw still rockin' the i5-2500k with no problems
Feels fucking great

x58 doesn't tie pcie, usb, sata, etc to the base clock unlike the later chipsets

Ah okay, in that case overclocking the base makes sense.

op here...in my case does it tie ram speed? i7-920 oc did so

Attached: 1559319761679.png (817x443, 34K)

Yes of fucking course, how does RAM work?

i am not an expert on this shit; i have sex every week. its annoying to have ram speed tied to cpu speed even on this x5670

It's not annoying it's fantastic otherwise your system would not POST.

tired of this meme
2500k has been choking on all sorts of shit for years

I've literally had no problems with it. Newest game I've played on it is BFV (and it sucks) and it works flawlessly.

>x3450

>faster than ryzen

anandtech.com/bench/product/2421?vs=2363

a 1600x meets a 4770k in single thread, and btfo's it in multi thread.

a x3450 is cheap is fuck, but its going to get absolutely raped vs any ryzen chip.

>I will OC it as well
Why the fuck would you overclock a server CPU?

also zombieload

Have sex

I love mine, I upgraded from an i7 920 too.
I'll have to spend some time overclocking properly, these are just some base numbers I typed in if you're wondering why some of the speeds are weird and unoptimised.

Attached: Capture.png (415x412, 36K)

What's the best CPU for lga775 with the g41 chipset (Dell mobo)?
Currently on a q9400

You have to look at LGA771 Xeons and "mod" your socket accordingly.
Apparently Xeons aren't a worthwhile option because some random incompatible junker this "tech-tuber" bought wasn't very good
youtube.com/watch?v=pBtT-vYeIyE

The chipset and socket should be good for a Xeon X5470 if you want maximum performance, the dell part is a bit sketchy though. Probably best to find your bios update notes and see what processors it supports and find the xeon equivalent.
And get a pre modded processor if you don't want to trim the locators out of your lga775 socket.

For the same price, ignoring DDR4 and a new mobo, I can get a 200GE new or a 1200 used.
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Xeon-X3480-vs-AMD-Ryzen-3-1200/m36484vs3931

If I buy the cheaper x3450, then my only option is a 200GE which is useless.

Literally what I did 6 months ago, i7 920 to X5670, because the 920 wasn't keeping up in newer games. I have OCed it on a cheap EVO 212? cooler to 4.4Ghz.

I've paired it with a 1080Ti and it runs great. Here's a great video comparing it to the 9900k, of course it's not as good, but holds it's own and for only £20 + a £20 cooler it's been an awesome upgrade.

youtube.com/watch?v=VMbUXKsMKKA

Good luck mate.

Attached: x5670.jpg (640x480, 36K)

>some random incompatible junker this "tech-tuber" bought wasn't very good

kek, even my shitty base overclockclock btfos his ivybridge and I'm still running a low uncore frequency.

Attached: Capture.png (377x219, 16K)

Yeah lol. I kind of get the impression this particular Hawdware Unboxed video is aimed squarely at the Tech YES channel.
I'm still on my 3930k with a 1080ti, and it's great. I'm sure the CPU would be a much more noticeable bottleneck at 1080p compared to an equivalent core count Skylake or newer, but at 1440p the old Sandy Bridge still does the job admirably.

I hope you got that for 10 bucks or something.

>What am i in for?
Security vulnerabilities.

Totally answered the question I asked, thanks man.

Keep buying outdated tech, retards

CPUs can't be outdated. They can become too slow, but outdated - not.

I have a thermal pad

Ah, for better performance? Why the fuck would you not?

Wtf, they don't get slower they get outdated
No AVX,no 4k decoder/HEVC, no nvme boot,no AES, no VT-D

I you wanna go second hand with Intel xeon then Haswell is the minimum for good performance, features and lowish power consumption, and decent core count

>I'm still on my 3930k with a 1080ti

The high end of every generation lasts longest. I was on the original GTX Titan until 4 months ago.

>3930k with a 1080ti,
king of bottlenecks, I know this because i am on 4670k/1080Ti and the stutterfest is real.

Oof only 4 threads
I7 4790 non k owner here, also have a 1080ti
Modern game engines really do use as many threads as they can

Zen 2 will save us all

minor upgrade, i ran a dual E5620 system for a while and it wasnt so great considering how much faster anything modern is (intel OR AMD for that matter)

>What am i in for?
Bretty good CPU upgrade for it's price.

Upgraded my old i7-920 to x5650@4GHz and working TurboBoost to 4.6Ghz.

Some tips
1) 32 nm chip is colder and overclock more.
2) Vulenrabilities - unlike Nehalem, Bloomfield got microcode update for Meltdown & Spectre.
Check this
techpowerup.com/forums/threads/meltdown-and-spectre-patched-bios-for-x58-motherboards.246101/

Attached: cachemem - Xeon X5650@4600 - DDR3-1333@[email protected] (539x518, 91K)

AES, avx, vtd are memes and almost no software utilises them. The rest - get a GPU decoder and put your bootloader on a USB then boot off the nvme.

>Why the fuck would you not?
Because it's a server CPU? Not exactly meant for overclocking and not sure what motherboard OP is going to pair it with and what cooler. He could've bought a 2600k or something.

i7s are binned xeons.....

The Westmere Xeons are overclockable via the bus speed, Intel's new xeons will maybe get 13MHz over the 100mhz bus speed or so before you start corrupting stuff or crashing.

How fucking stupid are you? 2600k is not for LGA1366. the LGA1366 Xeons overclock VERY well.