Valve dropping Ubuntu support

OH NO NO NO NO

Attached: 1561192682942.png (676x744, 62K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux/issues/6326#issuecomment-504606826
github.com/torvalds/linux/pull/437
archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/eoan/main/installer-i386/current/images/
archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/eoan/main/binary-i386/
archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/eoan/Contents-i386.gz
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

so they change distro? what a big deal

>happens right after Torvalds officially recognizes steam on linux
It's over fellow wincucks..... The linuxchads won....
github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux/issues/6326#issuecomment-504606826

Valve should just embrace progress and keep up.
I'll keep to ubangnu

This is a complete non-issue if you don't play video gaymes.

canonical is still retarded

i don't care, i don't play games because im older than 12

almost fell out of my chair laughing
github.com/torvalds/linux/pull/437

I'm a little out of the loop on this one
Why are Canonical removing 32-bit support?
Is it really weighing them down?

post yfw Valve tells people to install gentoo

I really wish to move to linux.
I'm sick of MS bullshit. I respect open source and free software. I really like KDE.
But i'm LE GAME MAN retard who can't live without games. EXCEPT THAT MY PC IS RATHER OUTDATED. I can play most of the modern games on mid to low, but that's natively.
On linux performance drops.
For an OS family that known for "best thing for under powered machines" it sure does it's work bad as and OS for a "low spec gamer" machine.

I wish i had a good PC so i could do PCI pass-though

It's even more of a non-issue if you actually read the article

DXVK and D9VK barely have any performance overhead, in some games you might even get better performance.

>valve should just have every game ever recompiled to work without 32bit support

Linux is not for gayming
its just for gay

I have a videocard that only supports Vulkan on software level, not hardware. I heard that software-only vulkan support is much slower than full hardware support, is that true?

i fucking hate javascript and its spawn

Remove whitespace guy! Speeds up compiling. No comments either.
Remember to have short variable names, no more than three letters

I am using Steam less and less these days anyway. But I will still support and use Ubuntu.

Another word to the wise, Oh Valve:
> No Linux, no bucks!

Attached: ubuntu studio love.png (2560x1600, 767K)

>imagine being an adult and playing videogames

Maybe they'll finally do a native 64-bit launcher

imagine being an adult and having spare time and proper sleep what a loser

> Imagine being a video game hating troll and posting here

Attached: adorable.png (300x100, 5K)

Just use Flatpak Steam with the Compat.i386 platform

What with a freetards and hatin on games? Do you fucks not understand that games on loonix = loonix gets popular = more big developers will bring their software to loonix = more developers will be working directly on iproving leenawks = death of microsoft.
Games and PROPER CAD software are one of the reasons why windows is still the king.
No, LIBRECAD IS GARBAGE DON'T EVEN DARE TO BRING IT UP.

inb4:
>REEEE WE DON'T NEED IT CUZ IT WILL BE CLOSED SOURCE PROPRIETARY SHIT
Why do you give a fuck? Are you implying that No software at all>proprietary software? Just don't use it and stick to your free shit.

fuck off zoomer

>Valve funding KWin
based

>le boom le zoom i looooooove wojak
kys

no. honestly. Kill yourself you pathetic vidya loving zoomer cunt

good riddance

Attached: index.jpg (225x224, 9K)

Gotta love this post-election breed of Jow Forums that suddenly hates video games with a passion.

i hope all distros BTFO this proprietary DRM scam only used by manchildren

Its all because of a licensing issue. Little do ubuntufags know that they are not using truly open software.

Jow Forums grew up faggot. You'll do the same one day

I'm 31 years old and you are probably some fat autist who was born in 99 and thinks he's a cool kid because he's linawsk haxxor and NOT POST 2000 ZOOMER
As long as subhumans like you run the open source community it will remain a laughing stock

Microsoft is pushing an app store to kill off Valve. Apple is pushing an app store to kill off Valve. Canonical is pushing an app store to kill off Valve. I don't see how Valve is even relevant anymore.

>Me? Playing games? I'M ADULT
This reminds me of appltoids with their "what are you poor?"

Uh-huh, whatever helps you feel like a big boy.

it was always like this retard

Jow Forums is full of larping 16 year olds, it hardly grew up

It's a non-issue even if you play vidya. Steam will werk on Debian, Arch, Manjaro(Arch), Gentoo.
Official support matters little and Valve will just shift to another distro. Manjaro seems to be pretty popular for GNU+Linux gayming right now.

>implying you can't be a zoomer at 31
You're saying a whole lot of nothing in the attempt to defend your children games faggot, give it up. I'm 27 by the way.

Valve will probably tell people to go to debian. I doubt they'll endorse something as easy to break for the laymen as arch/manjaro.

>Instead I shitpost on a Tibetan yak-milking forum filled to the brim with people that are exactly 12 or just underageb& in general

I don't get why you faggots feel superior for not playing video games but coming to a site that manages to be even more of a waste of time than most vidya. Its borderline retarded to me.

Video games don't need defending. Certainly not from some little angry man on the internet.

>Valve dropping Ubuntu support
Correction: Ubuntu dropping Valve support. Valve are simply going to stop recommending a distro Steam will literally not run on anymore.

>Video games don't need defending
That may have been the most pathetic thing i've ever read. Honestly, re-read that post and tell me you are where you want to be in life. Jesus christ.

>Valve will probably tell people to go to debian
Debian is even worse for a laymen. You have to manually install driver though command line.
You have to manually update it to a Testing channel because stable has ancient libraries that are not compatible with modern fast evolving gaming software.

>he's still using Win XP
It's time to move on grandpa

You mean ahead of you? Yeah, it's a pretty good spot in life.

>n-no you
ok this is over

What a dumb fucking move by Ubuntu

>we want the retard baby distro audience
>no more games

>this post-election breed of Jow Forums that suddenly hates video games

I've been on this website for 11 fucking years now, its always been like this. Jow Forums is a constant battle between vidya hardware fags, and linux/programmer types who spend all day compiling gentoo and ricing their desktop with anime girls

summer fags need to fucking go outside and stop wasting their life on this website because you're still young and have potential. dont become a supreme gentleman

It never even started since you had no point to make.

meh.

i dual boot precisely because i like having my lignux install for work and audio processing + editing, and my windows install for the games i occasionally play that prefer windows (doom 3, civ 3, civ 4, and civ5). i only use one application that relies on some i386 libs (renoise), and that's just for a few specialized vst plugins which i haven't touched in ages.

while it won't really affect me (especially as i can also use renoise with those rarely touched VSTs under windows just fine), i can see why a lot of people would be annoyed. WINE is a must have for many folks, as is steam. it would be pretty stupid of canonical to stick to their guns and go through with this, and out of solidarity i would probably migrate over to debian (or a debian spin like SolydXK or Sparky, which are both very nice), if they do.

>Valve drops support for the only distro normies are willing to switch to

ha

People will just flock to LMDE.

XP has 64 bit support you zooomer.

>a change is a nonissue if you don’t do the thing the change negatively impacts

What a genius

Linus was being pretty cool with this one.

normies only entertained it because it was easy and had Valve support

Ubuntu's fuckin dead in the water now

Nobody uses that inferior version

>b-but if the freeloader desktop userbase who never pays for anything stops using our disro what will we do???

ubuntu makes money from elsehwere this means nothing

they make money from being popular
nobody's going to use it now

more like
>cannonical drops support for one of the more important pieces of software without which people won't use linux

Why dont they distribute a snap or whatever and call it a day?

but why would they?
any other distro still supports it so why bother?

Manjaro support would be sweet, although it will let arch in a weird position

Canonical is all about cloud crap now, so they don't care for maintaining desktop stuff. Too bad if it breaks Steam.

Completely unrelated, a Linux security fix broke Steam as well this week.

I suspect the Valve guys might eventually rage quit and revive SteamOS.

Consistency among distros. I usually want my distro as tight as possible, but in this case it will be the best option for everyone (whatever is needed to finish with fucking windows)

If ubuntu plans to "drop 32bit support" then fucking explain me these:
archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/eoan/main/installer-i386/current/images/
archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/eoan/main/binary-i386/
archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/eoan/Contents-i386.gz

I'd bet that the real case is that Canonical just stops supporting 32bit in "main" repo support/paid support and not planning to drop it altogether and that "Koder for Valve" idiot simply mistook it.
Same shit when Ubuntu stopped providing 32bit live images and everyone and their wife's sons were crying that Ubuntu dropped 32bit support OMG HOW DO I INSTALL XUBUNTU ON MY 15 YEAR OLD SINGLE CORE CELERON LAPTOP NAO?!?!?!?!??!

Attached: 1403782800641.jpg (380x250, 28K)

Except instead of snapshit you could use the superior flatpaks. Which already have Steam, although imperfect.

I don't want linux to get popular

if linux gets popular it will get corporatized and normieized and that will ruin linux

it's better off as a niche hobbyist job os

no no no i want to play my games!!!

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (474x316, 15K)

Flatpack was in the "whatever", until the format war will keep going Ill keep refering them like that (appimage ftw btw)

Canonical is only going to drop support for 32 bit CPU's not 32 bit programs

yeah well while you're dual booting i'm getting dual booty

You can always aim for a higher form of autism

Attached: 260px-Dragonfly_1.gif (260x159, 5K)

THIS
MAKES
SENSE

>it will get corporatized
Holy shit we have a literal hipster here. Reality check: It's already corporatized.
Also did you forget that IT'S AN OPEN SOURCE? You can literally fork it, ignore big bad corporation and keep doing your own thing.
>reddit spacing
>no periods
>normie
Kill yourself you dunb nigger.

>linux
>niche
>hobbyist

LOONIX FINISHED AND BANKRUPT

Too late for that now. Try BSD.

And it was an experience so scarring that people willingly stuck to 32 bit even with Vista.

haha look im funny xDDDDDD
kys
based
>niche
>hobbyist
the fuck are you talking about, it's not hobbyist already for fucks sake
>corporatized
it already happened nigger
>normieized
what

Remember, while you're on Jow Forums you may sometimes be talking to crazies who think desktop environment is bloat.

NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

End of 32bit support? Why does steam need 32bit support? Any computer that doesn't support 64bit is probably running 2gb of ram at most anyway. Only an idiot runs the steam client on a computer with so little ram. At that level the client uses so much ram that it seriously impacts game performance anyway.

Games need 32bit libraries to run so Valve can't reasonably officially support steam on a distro where you can't run most of your games.

Probably to support older games, e.g. original x-com

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

>ubuntu
I've been using steam on fedora for the last 2 years
Nothingburger of a story to be honest

It's not 2012 anymore. Pop! OS and Manjaro exist for normalfags nowadays.

I don't give a flying fuck about "loonix gets popular". I already have all I need and don't need any kind of shitty proprietary software.

>non issue
maybe for people in general
but anybody invested in ubuntu is FUCKED

Attached: 1557866708636.jpg (1988x3056, 1.43M)

Many people want to keep playing the games from the Windows XP era that they own.

Black spoiderman gets /ss/?

Mint is objectively a better desktop OS than Ubuntu.

Appimage is superior. And flatpaks are better because they don't need su to install.

No, they already stopped supporting 32bit CPUs over a year ago. They're dropping 32bit libraries and software.

Because the gaming industry and windows like legacy software and don't like to change.

>that they own.
You don't need steam for games you own.

>appimgs
>flatpacks
>docker
>lutris
please make it stop this is aids for anything that is not virtualized/cloud computing server/service stuff

Attached: 1531733622638.png (388x363, 255K)

How's lutris anything like the other three?

it tries to do the same thing but does it even worse
it is worse than AUR in the "run this config script dude it totally works on my machine"