/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Do not dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1561076533710.png (1500x500, 128K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Hardware_video_acceleration#Configuring_VA-API
youtube.com/watch?v=GYW9i_u5PYs
xfce-look.org/p/1013773/
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/etc/input.conf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

any decent Icecast rippers/grabbers out there? streamripper is the go-to solution but sadly it shits its pants with r/a/dio, which is what I listen to the most.

mpv

I have an external drive with linux installed that I want to encrypt. I don't need to encrypt the os but just some personal information (nothing illegal, so no plausible deniability required). I can't decide between those two methods:

- system partitions unencrypted and a separate "data partition" encrypted with dm-crypt and mounted only when needed.
- all unencrypted and just use a few folders in /home/user/ encrypted with the ext4-native encryption for sensitive data.

I know the are other options, I generally only use dm-crypt but a file-based encryption is very convenient in this case, and afaik the filesystem native encryption should offer great performances compared to others methods (ecryptfs, veracrypt ..)

so i managed to get this working, but only with my intel graphics card, i just cant get my nvidia to work
i've read the wiki and when i ran vainfo it says
Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_va_gl.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[1] 21807 floating point exception (core dumped) vainfo

and when i checked my /usr/lib/dri
it's not libvdpau_va_gl.so but vdpau_va_gl.so
what do

>afaik the filesystem native encryption should offer great performances compared to others methods
there's pretty much no need to give a shit about performance in this case, all these encryption methods are going to be far faster than the interface the external drive is plugged into.

>update after months without doing so
>latest update broke media player controller
t-thanks konqi

What's ring -1 do command

i think it's just my vainfo thats having problem with this, the video is still playing with MojoVideoDecoder when i checked
how do i know if it's my intel graphics or nvidia thats working? my LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME are set to vdpau but vainfo is not working

Linux? That's a kernel!

Tried manjaro-architect today and accidentally wiped my hard drive
>uni stuff, gone
>my shitty code, gone
>all the pirated stuff, gone
>windows 10 license, gone
>comfy vscode setup and vimrc, gone
>firefox setup, css files and whatnot, gone
JUST.

Attached: pink-wojak.jpg (544x550, 38K)

happened to me too except it was not an accident because i back up my files first

Hey guys I updated some of my files on package manager the other day and I paused before I was completely done updating. Now my pc is stuck at startup tlp and I’m not sure what to do. I’m on manjaro. Im very new to Linux and the learning curve is really too much for me at this point

Isn't vdpau software rendering too? I don't know much about chrome setting, but in mpv I remember you set vo setting to gpu if you want to use gpu rendering, and vdpau and others if you want software rendering.

I think I might go back to windows to be honest

i dont know anything about this, i just followed the wiki
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Hardware_video_acceleration#Configuring_VA-API

what do you mean by paused?

I did not finish updating all of the files

What's a good and light image viewer for linux? Currently I use eog, a good one but it can't use scroll to browse image. I tried Gwenview, but too bloated for my old PC, and it has that transition effect even when it sets to none.
I want it like Honeyview, which I know I can run it via wine, but with my old cpu it would just be slower than eog.

Linux

sxiv or feh, but i recommend sxiv if you want strictly just image viewer
it also has thumbnail view too which is cool

How would I get the Guix daemon to work on Devuan? The guide for using it assumes you use SystemD.

Attached: 1548033641703.gif (500x393, 2.63M)

you shouldn't do that, this is also part of the learning curve but it's your own fault in this case
linux is easy to learn, it just takes time
did you stop the process when it's still downloading or after that?

stop falling for memes

I use Debian on the rest of my machines, it's just that this one has a shit motherboard and refuses to play nicely with SystemD.

I've tried sxiv but I can't figure out how to use it. It doesn't have any setting/configuration and I can't even use arrow/scroll to change image.

it uses the vim hotkey
watch luke's video youtube.com/watch?v=GYW9i_u5PYs

enter or return for thumbnail mode
n for next image
p for previous image

>can't figure out
Did you even bother reading the man page?

Finally set up Arch, tweaked it to my liking and it's basically identical to my previous Ubuntu setup so I'm wondering what it was all for.

Attached: c8ea1327df5fa1f2c3af6e0e95627b65.jpg (500x439, 25K)

>vim commands and all those scripts for shortcuts
Uhh, that's a bit too autistic for me. I need one that can be controlled by just mouse buttons.

Well, at least you don't have to do dist upgrades anymore.

While downloading, I believe one of the updates was grub

Attached: 1534101875769.png (460x478, 27K)

Linux is a kernel

does the appdb allow dxvk results yet?
>install The Evil Within just now
>listed as garbage
>werks fine

Attached: 2019-06-23-024457_1920x1080_scrot.jpg (1920x1080, 1.04M)

Which guide are you using? I haven't seen any that assume you're using systemd, only that mention "if" you're using systemd, and they also list alternatives.

I guess the fact that Ubuntu has just been kneecapped as a desktop OS is just more evidence that the only major linux companies are heavily server orientated. We really need a new meme linux distro that has very heavy investment in the desktop experience.

3 Best current contenders are Pop_OS, Elementry and Manjaro? Pop_OS probably has the best chance, Elementry would be good if it was more up to date but they need big bucks to pay for dedicated developers to really knuckle down on the desktop experience and keep all the drivers and kernel up to date. Maybe adopt the rolling/LTS model if they have the staff to maintain both.

Really needs some companies interested in providing linux computers to support one of these distros too.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I guess the fact that Ubuntu has just been kneecapped as a desktop OS is just more evidence that the only major GNU based operating system with a Linux Kernel attached companies are heavily server orientated. We really need a new meme GNU based operating system with a Linux Kernel attached distro that has very heavy investment in the desktop experience.

3 Best current contenders are Pop_OS, Elementry and Manjaro? Pop_OS probably has the best chance, Elementry would be good if it was more up to date but they need big bucks to pay for dedicated developers to really knuckle down on the desktop experience and keep all the drivers and kernel up to date. Maybe adopt the rolling/LTS model if they have the staff to maintain both.

Really needs some companies interested in providing GNU based operating system with a Linux Kernel attached computers to support one of these distros too.

>>fixed

Nvm, I think I found one. Geeqie is pretty good for my usecase.

That's one of the worst lessons to learn the hard way, but it's not a mistake you make twice

Whats a good xscreensaver alternative? i prefer having a CLI login over this shit

Setting up a computer using Ubuntu Server 19.04 and I'm a complete brainlet and forgot the username to log in. Everywhere I've looked online says to hold shift or escape and the grub boot menu should come up but this hasn't happened.

I am able to do this on my laptop running Ubuntu, but this one takes a while to turn on the screen and by the time it does it's already loading everything

I know 100% what my password is, but just not my username. Is there a way to do it from the server login or another way to get into Grub?

Attached: 1555536303194.png (300x300, 9K)

Does anyone know how I can get my qisan magicforce working on gentoo? I got the installation all set but my keyboard won't work and I don't want to use my 1998 ps/2 for eternity.
The kernel config called it "usb gaming keyboard" or something like that. I tried genkernel all and it still didn't work.

No screensaver

Why is there no 32 bit release of PureOS?

So how do i get a lock screen without it?

i3lock

thanks

So people have yelled at me before for using folders in my home folder for mounting permanent secondary drives so what is the preferred way of doing it? Yes I am using fstab

Can someone explain to me why fractional DPI scaling is such fucking trash or nonexistent on every DE except KDE?

Why does my XFCE notification area look like pic related? Anyone know how to fix?

Attached: crap.png (85x33, 918)

:: Synchronizing package databases...
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.0x.sg : Connection timed out after 10001 milliseconds
core is up to date
error: failed retrieving file 'extra.db' from mirror.0x.sg : Connection timed out after 10001 milliseconds
extra is up to date
error: failed retrieving file 'community.db' from mirror.0x.sg : Connection timed out after 10001 milliseconds
community is up to date
error: failed retrieving file 'multilib.db' from mirror.0x.sg : Connection timed out after 10001 milliseconds
multilib is up to date

What do?

At some point you just get over the distro war bs.

what do i install when i want to do look more like Windows 2000.

Attached: windows2000.jpg (739x557, 51K)

Update your mirrors

Xfce

Xfce bro

What theme, senpai?

Maybe this one? xfce-look.org/p/1013773/

All distributions are pretty much the same.

What's the most normalfag friendly minimal distro? I have an old toaster PC that I want to use, but I am too stupid to install NixOS, Guix, Gentoo, etc.. Bonus points if it has Icecat in the repos.

You're a fucking retard.
The package manager, software release schedule and software patching and license policy is different. As in, the thing you look for when choosing distributions.

>Well, at least you don't have to do dist upgrades anymore.
Not that guy but let's not overestimate the difficulty of upgrading your distro.

>package manager
This is a legitimate question: How are they different in a meaningful way?
I have considered switching to Arch, but I have failed to see the reason to other than that I enjoy messing around with my computer. The only package manager that actually seems to *work* differently is nix.

I'm trying out GuixSD to figure out whether to fall for the meme, and am running into issues. When I run a graphical terminal, backspace doesn't work. Well it works, but visually it just creates a space forward and leaves the text there. However, it does appear to delete things in the buffer, cause you can just type another command and it will only run that. Hitting left or right causes the current shell prompt to replicate itself to the right of its current position for some reason. When the terminal is created, it prints an empty prompt and then one below it very indented. This indentation also happens to the existing terminal when you make more.
WTF is going on? Has anyone come across this? Keep in mind this doesn't happen on TTYs, just X terminals. Happens on both termite and rxvt-unicode.

forgot pic. emulating in virt-manager if that matters.

Attached: 2019-06-22-195948_359x200_scrot.png (359x200, 7K)

Another victim of the JBOD menace

>not having proper backups
>not using version control for your dotfiles
You deserve all of this.

So people have yelled at me before for using folders in my home folder for mounting permanent secondary drives so what is the preferred way of doing it? Yes I am using fstab

How ever the fuck you want.
If you want to be a purist snob there is the LFH. But you can literally do it how ever the fuck you want, its your system

Be who you want to be~
I mount a drive on /hdd and a nfs share under /home, there's no Unix police out to get you for personalizing your system.

>windows 10 lisence gone
Unless you changed your hardware the lisence is automatic on reinstall

ye

k, rebooted and it fixed itself. Guess the problem's over, but if anyone has an explanation that would be great.

I'm hoping someone here can answer this question. I'm trying to remap input shortcuts in MPV. I wrote the shortcuts I want to the appropriate input.conf file, but when I go to test the inputs it outputs both the original keybinding plus the one I wrote in the input.conf file. How the fuck am I supposed to remove the default bindings if they are baked into the binary?

So im installing debian as a dual boot with windows 10 and my usb mouse and keyboard stop working when i get to the choose language screen. Can someone give me a hand?
>inb4 enable iommu
I have a uefi without the iommu option

github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/etc/input.conf
>The default keybindings are hardcoded into the mpv binary.
>You can disable them completely with: --no-input-default-bindings

>You can disable them completely
What if I only want to disable the ones I'm replacing? Not possible?

You need to put "key ignore" before your binds if you dont want to remove every bind
So if you're binding X you'd put
x ignore
x

Thank you, that's what I was looking for.

Can you boot into a live image, mount your hard drive, and open /etc/passwd and look for your username there?.

I cannot stand dolphin and its utter shit performance

I need a file manager with FOLDER previews, such as with windows icon view

I need the folder icon to be a preview of the files within the folder.

If there is a way to make spacefm do this, i would prefer using that. But i havent found any thing to mod in to it or another file manager

I'm customizing ncmpcpp. How do I change the color of music length like on pic' related? I tried to change that by using config files as examples but I didn't find the correct option.

Attached: 1540674940868.png (804x412, 34K)

Thanks for replying friendo

I've been trying to boot into the usb drive I originally used to install the server, but it still boots straight into the hard drive with the installation that I'm locked out of. I've seen it run through the motions so many times I've caught a glimpse of an error about grub boot detection. I think whatever way the boot order is set up is to ignore the usb drives since the hard drive is capable of booting, but I just can't seem to fix it

Do you think if I put a live image instead of a server install would default to booting into that instead of my hard drive even though it ignores the USB with the installation?

I ordered a sata to usb converter which should arrive tomorrow so that I can just wipe the hard drive using my laptop if worse comes to worse though

Attached: 1455916214942.jpg (660x716, 53K)

Most likely your env vars were the problem.

Long story short, just make sure you're sourcing /etc/profile. Add a line to either your .bashrc, .profile, or something similar like:
>[[ -f /etc/profile ]] && source /etc/profile
In some rare cases after installing new stuff you may have to re-source it again (or just close and re-open your terminal).

In your case there was probably some "terminfo" that you weren't getting because you needed to re-source /etc/profile. I've noticed this issue also occurs if you install a terminal as a user (without root) and then switch users via "su" in the terminal. The new user won't have the right terminfo data.
For that reason I'd say it's best to install terminal system-wide.

Just tried this because I don't have much else going on tonight and the same issue is there. It boots into the login screen for the server with the live usb connected and there is definitely an error message saying that grub failed boot detection so I feel like that's related

so I don't want to install codecs from a non free repo because
is it possible to compile them inside a flatpak (gstreamer?) and make non flatpak firefox use that instead? I don't want to compile firefox tho

>codecs from a non free repo
like what? Aren't they all free?

I mean for distros that don't ship with all codecs available in their main repo so you have to add an extra repository ("non free" e.g. rpmfusion). I also have no idea what packages they are exactly but I'll find out later.

>Dark age
>everyone is spying on each other

why is my driver vendor written as Mesa on chromium while my laptop doesn't have anything amd on it? when i checked on va api it's more ati/amd systems

Attached: file.png (722x357, 53K)

*it's for

go for lubuntu or xubuntu friend
or manjaro i3 if you want to try tiling wms

Is USB the highest item in the BIOS boot order? If not, fix that. You mentioned Grub, is Grub the bootloader your system is using?

>Manjaro i3
This. Icecat is on AUR by the way.

Apparently not is my guess
My main issue is that with this computer I cannot enter the boot menu or change any settings. I just got it from a friend who got it for cheap from a garage sale and it came without an OS.

So I booted it from a usb with ubuntu server 19.04, installed it successfully, restarted it, and then found out I'm a retard and must have mistyped my username. It only takes me to tty1 (?) and prompts me to log in on the server.

I never got the chance to change anything about the boot loader

I've tried smashing every key I can think of to try to enter the boot menu but it always just loads anyways.

Ubuntu Mate is a good choice as well
Any of the ubuntu choices are good just take a look at the look of each one and choose whichever looks most aesthetically pleasing

because it's 2019?

Help me out please fglt. My laptop is a HP elitebook 840 G3. The graphics on onboard, intel HD 520. Anyway according to the specs it can run three monitors and 4k. Well I bought a 4k monitor and it can't handle it. The video it plays is choppy and there's a big diagonal seam across middle when it tries to play. I poresume the seam is a driver issue, but shouldn't this be able to play 4k video smoothly, even if only at 30fps? Is it a linux driver issue most likely cause this crappy playback or am I reading the specs incorrectly. It can handle other stuff fine. I can browse the web on the 4k monitor and have 2 videos playing, one on the laptop screen the other on a third external 1080 screen.