Cooling a house

how can I more efficiently cool my house?

Attached: 1557205206932.jpg (960x610, 79K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/_-mBeYC2KGc
en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Incandescent_light_bulb
m.youtube.com/watch?v=NiNPhFqxODU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaporative_cooler
youtube.com/watch?v=BjUKRo1kTA8
youtu.be/ZJR5rDPWLpA
youtube.com/watch?v=ZD_3_gsgsnk
greenhouseinthesnow.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Open your windows

only brings in more heat

move to california

only brings in more brass

Buy an air conditioning unit and ensure building standards make homes reasonably insulated.

Make sure your attic is properly insulated. Use double paned windows and keep blinds closed when you aren't home. On plesant days, try creating a cross breeze through your house.

If don't have central AC, consider the following:
youtu.be/_-mBeYC2KGc

Use earth heat exchange system like shown in picture. When in winter, your room will be warmer because ground heat is warmer than outside cold. And in summer, ground temp will be cooler than outside temp, thus the room will be cooler.

And its all passive too.

Put a shade over the ac unit, it keeps sunlight off of the radiator and so it uses energy more efficiently

Block out as much UV/IR radiation as possible, your windows and glass door will be the first things to let those in. Tint the glass surfaces with a thermal window film, they really reflective ones tend to keep your house cooler. You can put white blackout thermal curtains/blinds/drapes on your windows to reduce heat generated by visible light.

Then replace your old incandescent/CLFs with dim high efficiency LEDs, this will significantly reduce heat generated from light as things like incandescent bulbs concert >95% of electricity into heat.

Attached: ea78f29d-ef3d-4c2b-bc1b-5cf78c0e8b7d.jpg (640x339, 46K)

>have house in Alaska for summer
>have house in Florida for winter
Imagine being so poor you had to live at the mercy of the local climate.

>things like incandescent bulbs concert >95% of electricity into heat
It is exactly 100%

What?

>"Incandescentbulbs are much lessefficientthan other types of electric lighting;incandescentbulbs convert less than 5% of the energy they use into visible light, with standard light bulbs averaging about 2.2%. The remaining energy is converted into heat."

en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Incandescent_light_bulb

And how do they produce light if they convert 100% of energy into heat?

Attached: 1367975932684.jpg (156x134, 9K)

If it was 100% thermal energy, there would be no luminescence.

Light and heat are just two different wave lengths of the same radiation.

move

>California
>not hot as fuck in the summer
>niggerlicious prices for electricity

Half buried house
you dont need tubes plants n shit
atleast your main floor is 2 meters below the ground

Get a heat pump/air conditioner.

lol

And akshully the bulb itself is a wave condensed to the lowest possible vibration.

It's not 100% heat.

Heat pipes.

Build a house with a custom array of 10mm heatpipes set 10 meters down into the earth, and then curved so they lay flat with the foundation and ground floor of your house.

The heat pipes will transfer a constant 60 degrees to your foundation. If you further had them designed into a passive vertical heat exchanger along the primary inner walls, a simple fanned duct system would provide the cooling to maintain a constant temperature differential.
It doesnt matter where you live, as the gradient between ambient air and the constant cold underground sets a near perfect equilibrium.

Now. With all that said, that would probably cost half as much as a new house.

But think of the long term energy savings for an entire country if all houses were built this way.

that means your house isnt the proper kind to have in that climate

>tfw my window ac almost never turns off
>tfw my room has 6 lightbulbs + 2 desk lamps all using incandescent light bulbs
>tfw don't even have any window curtains

Attached: sheeeitjpg.jpg (888x499, 98K)

based

Do you live in a building with two floors?
If yes, do this:
•Open top window (vent).
•Open bottom window (intake).
•on bottom window curtain hanger, hang a thin towel / folded sheets / some sort of cloth that will function for the next step
•pour water onto the top of the cloth until entirely damp

Tada, you now have a evaporation cooler that is cooling the air entering your building.

This

I'm confused about your explanation. got pics/videos on this?

Get a garden hose and spray the floor with water. Should cool down your feet and general body temperature.

Do you have blueprints / design diagrams of said heat pump /pipes system?

Cause when I search heat pump, all I'm seeing is the principle of how fridges and A/C units work on.

It's an idea I've had for a couple years.

It would be very expensive to implement this.
The heatpipes would be special-ordered, very easy to damage, and take a lot of time to install.
You would need an array of ~60 heat pipes, roughly 15 meters long. It would be better if special-made pipes could be a tangible size, like 1Inch instead of 1cm, but this also raises the cost logarithmically.

The drilling and setting would cost about as much as the heatpipes themselves.

All in all, if a house were built this way, you would spend about half as much as the house itself to install a heatpipe-heat exchanger system. It's specialized, uses very expensive special made parts, and has never been done before.

By improving thermal insulation.
I have second floor, that even during winter (it is mild here, +10C) shit gets unbearably hot.

seems like something you might want to post on /diy/ to start bouncing ideas

Even Jow Forumstard can install pic related. No need to cool toiler, or kitchen...

Attached: tcl-1-5-ton-split-ac-500x500.jpg (500x500, 24K)

no amount of insulation will stop warm air from raising
get a door for your stairs if you dont want hot air to do what hot air does

still doesn't explain the idea other than putting pipes underground to cool the floor

Not this weirdo again

reminds me of rossmanngroup headquarters

>"cold air"

Insulation is a trade off. The more you insulate the upper floor, the better it is in winter, but the more heat it will trap in the summer. There's really no way around this simply due to basic thermodynamics. There's an equilibrium point where your cooling system keeps the heat at bay, but you're still fighting entropy and the upper floor will -always- be much hotter than the lower no matter what.

I don't think /diy/ can help me with a major engineering project
The more I think about it the more complex it needs to be to work right.
The essential principle is we're transferring heat above-ground to earth below-ground, using heatpipes, and using ducted ventilation to both exhaust the hot side of the pipes out of a house while ducting cool "basement air" into the house.

Now that I've given it more thought a two-stage system seems to make the most sense

diy is a good repository of people that know how to lower costs without compromising
maybe some autist over there can point you towards some obscure but also ubiquitous and cheap heat exchange method you didn't consider initially
the only downside is how slow paced that board is, but it's just to bounce ideas off the wall and see what happens, you may get an interesting second perspective

This is a simplified model of my idea. In reality the heat pipe system would need to be piped through the floors and major "heat bearing" sections of walls. The system would be "tuned" for the house's shape and layout.

The cold-intake radiator system is 2-stage - there is a primary intake system that exchanges cold air into the house (via a typical ducted fan installation) and a secondary stage that transfers heat from the hotter portions back down into the below-ground heat pipes while also being aided from the hot-sides exhaust system to maximize thermal transfer efficiency.
The hot side simply draws collected heat from the house walls/floors and uses a secondary (or complex-designed single) duct system to exhaust heat up and out from the house.

This setup should always allow for a ~15F delta between the ambient outside air and the heat transference from the cold-side heatpipe exchanger. In most biomes this should allow for a constant ~75-80F internal temperature at ground level if the outside air is ~90-95F, all at the energy cost of running a standard house ducted fan which tends to be 1/5th the cost of using an air conditioner. Conversely, this should also allow for maintaining a constant ~70F internal temperature (at the 2nd floor - 60-65F at 1st floor) if the outside ambient is ~35-40F, as the hot-side could be turned off to keep heat in, we are taking into account the heat output of house appliances and the ~100w heat from human bodies.

A system like this should be perfectly capable of maintaining livable (if not ideal!) temperatures at much, much less energy use. The only downside as I said is the complexity, the installation, and the production costs of a large array of expensive heat pipes.
Oh and...that little thing...that any house would almost necessarily need to be built for this system, so any house already existing is practically non-viable unless we want to spend a hundred thousand dollars to renovate literally every floor and wall.

Attached: 84v565.png (756x534, 19K)

It is radiant heat from roof, since shit is black and ceiling is hot.
Not really. Once shit is insulated really good, only thing that is heating your house is window.

this won't do shit unless the pipes are looped

Here's 3 different types.

Attached: Geothermal-Illustration.jpg (1200x807, 113K)

How can I DIY a real air conditioner from parts I can find in junkyard?

>Cause when I search heat pump, all I'm seeing is the principle of how fridges and A/C units work on.
But that is exactly what it is.
It is basically AC, which can into heating mode, and where one of the coils is thermal exchanger with ground tubing.
Being under ground means that it has constant temp year round, so you can steal heat from there no problem.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=NiNPhFqxODU

Why would the pond heat the water

man I don't wanna have a pump running all the time

do not respond to namefags

I need to sell those shits.
But they are indeed easy to install.

Glue white paper sheets on your aluminum foil then cover your windows again

>tfw my room has 6 lightbulbs + 2 desk lamps all using incandescent light bulbs
stop growing weed in your bedroom

if it's hot outside then the pond would be outside temperature which is hot

Build an underground pipeline from Alaska to pipe cold air to your house. If you build it wider than you need, you can sell cold air to your neighbors too.

Attached: tenor.gif (360x358, 2.97M)

>Have money
>Decide to live in Alaska and Florida
American education huh

if you have money, contact someone who knows about that stuff. maybe? i can not give my 170 IQ for free when i am poor and other are getting richer......

>fags everywhere

For fuck sake there's an entire board of this shit over on

Get a towel, water, and a fan. Dunk the towel in water, hold it up, let the fan blow across it. There's your cheap AC, bro.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaporative_cooler

>70% humidity
Nope, this will not work.
I think I can steal couple coils from junkyard for cheap, but what about compressor?

Propane, some radiator in a window.

Attach propane to radiator, open other end and torch it. There. Add fan to radiator for bonus

>shit on the street
>not even India

Two central AC units, one for each floor, with zoning. Literally the ideal system

proper ventilation systems and control vents/insulation/window films

If your roof has ice problems and there is no freezing rain, have ACTIVE attic/crawlspace vents for your roof. These are almost always automated to activate at specific temps that also help to keep your house from trapping too much heat during the summer.

Have a basement(tornado/storm protection too) Only reason besides societal that we don't all live underground is that its too expensive and hard to make underground homes that don't cave in/flood.

Heat pump systems are often buried TOO SHALLOWLY. They need to go DEEP under the soil/clay. This can help to make your home more like a cool in summer/warm in winter basement without the mildew/water issues.

Insulate to point of air movement sealing the house EXCEPT from said basement. The poor mans thermal cooling/heating system. Most heaters are for when you are asleep/not producing several hundred/thousand(if larger family) btu's or like most people are AT WORK.

Import a large block of ice from the north pole.

try going to a pond in real life and stick your hand in it
fyi,even small bodies of water stay pretty cool weeks after the weather heats up

you need to push the hot air down

>how to slightly cool a towel

the part you missed out is all the moisture permating your house

This does not remove energy from the system in any meaningfull way

>one city is the entirety of California

>It doesnt matter where you live
oh it certainly does, this is not something that you do in climates with cold winters, you'll have the furnace on all spring from the thawing season

open the windows on the side of the house where it's shade

>40c
>80% humidity

It depends on dewpoint.

>purposely giving someone HIV was decriminalized

Won't work. I need real AC, but from junk.
Sure, I can get used window unit and fill it with some sort of shit, but...

every electrical device is a 100% efficient heater if you wait long enough, retard

there are heat pumps that can suck heat out of air and produce hot water for use. they can have cop-s as large as 7

Noctua™ fans

COP of 6-ish. 7 is fucking impossible, unless you have 40C...

>cop-s as large as 7
?

COP is coefficient of power.
In other words, how many watts of heat you get/move for a watt from wall.
For example, typical AC has heating COP of 3,5, which means that for 1000W from wall, you will get 3500W of heat.
But ACs are tested at outdoor temperature of 0C.
If you have higher temperature (let's say 20C) and you turn on the heat, your COP will be way higher.

>not liquid cooling your house with a custom loop

>earth tube

Direct exchange geothermal. It's quite possibly the most efficient way to cool a house.

>Direct exchange geothermal.
explain

>waterless
youtube.com/watch?v=BjUKRo1kTA8

wait what? how exactly does this work?

The refrigerant lines are run directly into the soil instead of using water as a transfer medium.

The refrigerant lines are solid copper tubes? I thought water went inside the copper tubes?

man I just now learned about refrigerant
youtu.be/ZJR5rDPWLpA

What a shit idea. Shit leaks due to air and corrosion all the time, and in soil...

Speaking of refrigerants, how do you add charge to leaky AC?

that's geothermal.
youtube.com/watch?v=ZD_3_gsgsnk
greenhouseinthesnow.com

it's no meme, it works.

you couldn't do that in the shitty east coast, lmao.

it only feels cooler because it's thermal conductivity is 10x air and it's probably colder than you (98 degrees) fucking idiot.
small bodies reach outside temp rather quickly.

because hot things glow