Why have you not moved to California to practice programming?

Attached: 1543813686754.jpg (944x978, 99K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sfgate.com/realestate/article/sunnyvale-bay-area-housing-crisis-overbid-record-12724159.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

because i work remote for a silicon valley company while leaving in Eastern Europe

> practice programming
because I'm not a retard nor am I an Indian wishing to live in a city littered with human feces like I'm used to in my home country.

based

trump sanctions in 3..2...1..

So you earn 1/4 of the market rate?

I don't want to live in a state with such high wealth inequality, it seems like tempting fate.

Why does LinkedIn pay so much?

>290k salary
>living costs take 90% of your money
>live the same as someone in Montana on 50k/year

Attached: 1558840328977.jpg (1024x731, 106K)

>>live the same as someone in Montana on 50k/year
>imaging believing this in order to cope
i bet you make 50k a year and live in flyover

I'm not a programmer.

I'm never moving to the imperialistic capitalist hellhole known as the "US".

you got one thing right

Is that 3+ years experience as a mid/senior or 3+ years as a developer? Surely it can't be the latter.

3+ years as a developer, you can generally get promoted from l3 to l4 in 1-3 yearrs

obviously someone doesn't understand the full costs of living in the bay area, or california in general. housing costs are extremely ridiculous, normal small single family homes easily go over 1m, rent for a 1 bedroom can be 2k a month. not to mention the dollar or more a gallon gas seems to be, and the food too. not sure about water prices since they've been in some kind of drought for years, shortages are not something i want to deal with.

as much as i would love to live in california, it's just not worth all the headaches. i'm making enough in virginia for now.

>earn 10k a month more
>rent costs 1k a month more
>m-muh cost of living!

>he fell for the CoL meme

this, flyoverfags can't into math

Don't want to live in California
Don't want to work at any of those companies

>make at least twice as much money
>cost of living is twice as high
>end up with at least twice as much expendable cash
>"no, that's bad. Because you're paying more."

This has to be massive cope. No one can be this retarded.

Attached: 1539929592545.jpg (992x1024, 131K)

What are you coding, Ivan? Java or webshit?

because I am uneducated slav nigger, no one will give me a visa or job outside the toilet cleaning industry

because I am uneducated slav nigger, no one will give me a visa or job outside the toilet cleaning industry

>cost of living is twice as high
>twice
Try several. A house that would go for under $100k where I live goes for over $1M in SF.

sfgate.com/realestate/article/sunnyvale-bay-area-housing-crisis-overbid-record-12724159.php

Then don't buy a house.

I pay $1k/month for a 1200sq ft. apartment in a nice part of town, and it's a decent apartment and neighborhood. You can barely get an 800sq ft. apartment for under $3500 a month in SF and it's going to be shit, not to mention hobos sleeping on the sidewalk out front and having to plan your commute around piles of human shit.

Obviously SF itself is an extreme example, but you retards still have yet to give a reason TO live in that shithole state.

>but you retards still have yet to give a reason TO live in that shithole state.
You will be free from wage slaving at age 30.

Where do you live that okay houses are

Maybe, if you plan to move away from the third world after you retire. Even then probably not, no way I'd go through that and come out with less than several million dollars saved up, which you aren't going to have after only 5-10 years.

Did you see the favela in the article I linked? That's not what I would call "OK", and it goes for $2M in SF. It would sell for more like $50-75k where I live, if you could even get someone to buy it. And even then they'd probably just be buying it for the land and knocking down that ugly heap of shit.

california has the black plague and feces everywhere. its not worth the money especially when the cost of living is greater than the bigger wages.

>Where do you live that okay houses are

yes, i'm sure a president which has less than two years left in office has a huge impact on his entire work career.
dumbass.

You're not going to save up several million dollars if you worked your entire life where you live.

California is not a place for White men anymore. They're getting priced out. This is a place for ASIANS.

California is a place for Mexicans.

That depends on what you do and how far you're willing to drive to work. And again, you aren't going to save up several million dollars in SoCal because between ridiculous taxes, sky high real estate costs, and crazy cost of living, that $300k is just like making $100-150k anywhere else.

You can save over 100k+ a year. That brings you easily over 1m after around 10 years factoring in career and investment growth.

So it takes you the span of an average career to reach several million. But I still don't think you can save $100k a year making $300k a year in SoCal. Taxes alone are going to eat a good chunk of the first $100k, so are you saying it's possible to live comfortably on ~$100k/year in SoCal? I don't think so.

You can live off 30k a year.

trump will sanction the entire country

god OPs pic makes me sad. I just graduated from uc irvine with a computer science degree and I start my first SW engineer job July 1st, 70k a year. I live in socal with parents for free but fuck.

Imagine not living somewhere sales tax doesn't exist, the beach is less than an hour away, price of living is moderate, and many fortune 500 companies are incorporated there

>socal

>But I still don't think you can save $100k a year making $300k a year in SoCal
you can do that EASILY

New Hampshire?

seething amerishart

300k is 180k after all tax, you can easily save 150k w/ 30k in expenses

Because no amount of money will ever make me associate with California

I save like ~70k a year making 140k.
If I made 300k I could save 100k+ and ball out ez.

Not him but I make 60+k in Minnesota and houses sell for 150k around me and rent c as n be around 400 a month

>many companies down-level incoming staff engineers into this level
no they fucking don't, who writes this shit?

They do if you're experience is at some literally who startup with inflated titles. If you have 5-10 years of experience you'll be leveled as L4.

yes they do, non FANG experience is not valued at all

>live off of $30k/year
>when rent is minimum $3000 a month
Bullshit

an accenture pajeet with an mcse and two online courses in machine learning is not a staff engineer

if you're an actual staff engineer then you might be downleveled to L5, but there's no way in hell they'd put you in L4 unless you completely bomb your interview

>every of working is worthless untill you pass interview
fucckkkkkk

Then buy a house outside of SF.

>if you're an actual staff engineer then you might be downleveled to L5
it depends, if it's no name companies you are getting L4 or they won't even ever hire you. L5 won't be offered at all.

What's with all the coping califags recently?

Are you that desperate to get people to come to your shit state?

Hes gonna win again in 2020 I hope you know that.

So compared to the Bay area your living expenses are $30k less but you're making $100k less.

you couldn't pay me to go to california
what a shitty state

>saving an entire 1/3 of your paycheck.
Lol. Ok. Let's go by month. 300/12 = 25k a month
15% (3750) already goes toward taxes. (At least, probably more)
Assuming rent is 3k a month (shit apt)
5% (1250) goes toward insurance (give or take)
Let's say $800 a month in food (includes eating out, once in awhile)
About $50 in transport
5% (1250) toward retirement
$100 internet and cable fees
$60 phone Bill's
$100 in utilities

That's $11350 out of $25000 a month with just basic expenses and that's me being lenient with a lot of those.
Now throw in hobbies, debt, random necessities (cars maintenance for example) dogs, family, etc.
It becomes a lot less.

Do you need to be the top of your class to work at these companies or could any code monkey move there and get these salaries?

Rent is only 3k/mo for flats in NY and SF. San Diego, my rent is only 900/mo for 2bd/2bath, granted it's because I've lived here forever. Similar places are around 1600 in the same neighborhood, which has been turning into hipster central over the last few years. Renting a room is around 700/mo for midrange/average, can go as low as 500, can go as high as 1100 for the La Jolla types of places.

You can definitely live on 30k/yr here, you can live very comfortably on 50k/yr, and you're snorting hookers off of cocaine's ass at 300k/yr.

Fuck, I make 90k/yr as a sysadmin and I'm nearly at 1mm with stocks/savings at 28. Nothing compared to people who aren't IT janitors but "california" isn't SF. Hell, go to Santee and rent your own 3bd house for 1500.

Also, min wage is 12/hr, In-N-Out pays 15/hr, waiters/waitresses get 50-60k/yr if you include tips. It's not that hard to live here. If you enjoy bumfuck nowhere, good on you. If it were impossible to live here though, nobody would.

The median house cost in san Fran is over a million, and when I left last year gas was about 3 burgers a gallon

Seems like you and a lot of people forget how hard you get taxed once you start making good money, for all those jobs listed, filing as a married couple income tax alone is 24%. Nobody says it's not doable to live there, just that it's not all its cracked up to be, and there are a ton of downsides that come with it. I lived in San Diego for 4 years and I wouldn't come back for less than 300k a year, the traffic alone is enough to keep me away forever

Pic related, plus state income tax on all the salaries listed would be an additional 9.3%. So you're looking at about 1/3 of your income disappearing before you see it, plus the adjusted cost of living. In the south I pay zero state income tax, and my rent for a 3bed 2bath house is 1k.

Attached: 2018-tables-300x268.jpg (300x268, 17K)

Holy fuck, after taxes the highest paying job on that list only makes 150k? Wtf man that's nuts. So then what minus another 30k COL or so right so like 120k? Goddamn that's brutal

No. 300k total income would leave you with 210k after federal, FICA, and state taxes.

Run me through the math on this I'm not a Jow Forums fag, it seems like federal income tax alone would take that T4 position salary down to sub 200k

>Fuck, I make 90k/yr as a sysadmin and I'm nearly at 1mm with stocks/savings at 28.
How...

Attached: 20190623_003531.jpg (1366x735, 180K)

You're retarded, even estimating property tax as 1k a year(lmao) that T4 would be paying at least 110k filing as a single person. If you dont believe me either move to California or use a tax calculator like smartasset.

I'm still confused, since I cant see your starting income before taxes or your deductions. I did what Said and I got this using that t4 290k salary and a silicon valley zip code and even disregarding fuel sale and property tax is 100k. I'm not a big boy so I dont understand this shit I'm still in starving student mode

Attached: Screenshot_20190623-023927_Bromite.jpg (1080x1920, 283K)

Software "engineer"

Goddamn this is the difference with that same salary in texas, 20k more in the pocket. Geezy fuckin Petes man

Attached: Screenshot_20190623-025626_Bromite.jpg (1080x1920, 295K)

Chicago trading firm > California "tech" company

Attached: not citadel tho.jpg (1000x380, 80K)

You won't get the same salary in Texas.

No shit dickhead

Lol why would you need to, you could be paid like 50k less and still end up with more in your pocket

150k less

You're paying twice as much for rent and insurance as you need to, and how the hell are you spending $200 a week on food?

Because I don't like buttsex.

And I tried to look up the cost of living in that area and the median home price is a million dollars? Wtf? Payscale estimates that 290k where I live right now, would mean 500k to maintain the same type of living in california?! Wtf bros surely I'm not right am I? That's insane

Holy FUCK user you weren't kidding. No wonder big tech is fleeing California and stinking up Austin, this is bananas

Attached: Screenshot_20190623-031256_Bromite.jpg (1080x1920, 341K)

Cost of living calculators are only relevant if you are an idiot who spends 100% of your income. 300k in San Mateo is much better than 150k in Austin if you aren't.

Nobody actually wants to STAY in California. You go there for a tour of duty and then fuck off back to somewhere nicer.

You aren't getting 290k where you live right now. Stop making up bullshit fantasies.

lol these companies wouldn't have so many perks to make you stay on campus as much as possible if the valley were a nice or inexpensive place to live

Hes using the T4 income listed in the OP you absolute fucking mongoloid, jesus christ you cannot possibly be this fucking stupid

Those are incomes in California, not redneck county.

o boy user I can't wait for more Israeli presidencies

I'm confused then because its looking like it would be much better to be making 180k in austin than 250 in California right now, like I said I'm not a Jow Forums fag I'm a college student so I'm trying to figure shit out for when I graduate and this is making me rethink some of the opportunities in California

You aren't going to be making 180k in Austin.

You really aren't any good for anything except manually breathing and slapping your hands against the keyboard huh. I didnt want to think you were that retarded but you really are

>Payscale estimates that 290k where I live right now, would mean 500k to maintain the same type of living in california
Again, you aren't getting a job paying 290k where you live.

Lmao cope harder califags, keep paying for Jose's school and healthcare

I'll gladly pay 20k a year for Jose's school if it means I get to save an extra 80k a year.