What would you like LINUX to have?

(aside from its shortcomings and the techs that are still not fully developed)
especially something that Windows nor mac have

Attached: linux-penguin.jpg (657x369, 27K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ikod2fONH0Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

linux is a kernel

I want my linux to have lots and lots of GNU.

Better battery life
An office suit compatible with MSOffice
Better-than-native game performance

more penguins

>Better-than-native game performance
already have this with vulkan ports for linux

no proprietary blobs

Thumbnails AND search box in file picker.

A not shit and fully functioning display server

more diversity

One desktop environment that can cover everyone's use case and ricing.

Software support

A good Sony Vegas clone (Kdenlive is fucking SHIT and Blender is lolcow tier) and a graphical toolkit for C/C++ that wasn't reprehensible fucking shit.

xorg

use playonlinux

This. People who shit on Xorg are fucking brainlets.

Less fragmentation at the DE level. Universal package managers (ie Snap/Flatpack) standard. Major software vendor packages - Adobe specifically...

Nothing, it's already perfect
t. brainlet

>Less fragmentation at the DE level. Universal package managers (ie Snap/Flatpack) standard. Major software vendor packages - Adobe specifically...
You are everything wrong with Linux these days. Please, kindly fuck off, every single one of those things are horrible.

>Universal package managers (ie Snap/Flatpack) standard.

How is having the ability to install your prefered software on any distro a bad thing? Other than not letting you feel like a leet hacker anymore because people won't have to compile from source to get things working on your super special distro of choice? Christ Torvalds himself is bitching about not having this feature.

What you're asking for already exists, it's called macOS

A DE that I can recommend to people.
MATE devs are kind of retarded, KDE kinda sucks, GNOME 3 really sucks. Xfce has long-standing issues (lel tearing, settings spread out everywhere, lol desktop icon handling).
It used to be easy to recommend new people to use some Linux distro because GNOME 2 was easy as shit and wasn't majorly buggy. It looked and felt relatively familiar, and whatever differences were easy to reconcile.

A user interface toolkit that doesn't suck. GTK2 is ancient, if reasonable. GTK3 keeps breaking shit. I'd like a file picker dialog that supports large thumbnail view for icons (or really, the various icon views other than list at all)
actually, QT hasn't been that bad at all, so maybe I just want a decent QT DE that's not KDE

An image editor that doesn't suck. I use GIMP every fucking day.
It's still full of dumb-fuck warts like not restoring focus to the canvas (if I click on the canvas to restore focus, I'm going to end up drawing on it), awful layer handling, and 2.10 really fucking cluttered up the UI with shit that no one cares about.
I want proper non-destructive color editing. Selections that aren't suddenly hard-edged when you expand/shrink them. Etc, etc.
I don't even want Photoshop or a lot of features found in Photoshop, I want GIMP to be less entirely retarded.

This. GIMP has to be bad on purpose, no one can fuck up this badly. Xfce is good though.

>wifi drivers on the liveusb

>ow is having the ability to install your prefered software on any distro a bad thing? Other than not letting you feel like a leet hacker anymore because people won't have to compile from source to get things working on your super special distro of choice? Christ Torvalds himself is bitching about not having this feature.
All of these memelord implementations require systemd as either a hard or soft dependency. They want to turn Linux into a walled garden so they can strip any amount of actual utility from it and control it all like Microsoft controls the world of Windows computing. There will come a day in the Linux world in the not too distant future if we are not careful where package distribution will be completely monopolized instead of decentralized. The only good implementation of this shit is Appimage, which of course, Redhat has put hundreds of thousands of dollars into crushing in favor of their AIDS ridden horseshit that exists for the sole purpose of ocntrol of the Linux ecosystem. Appimage is great because you can install 95% of your software normally, and the large and difficult to install stuff can be easily deployed on any system. Flatpak and Snap seek to completely annihilate decentralized package distribution. Stop supporting centrality, you fucking bootlicker. This is the United States of Fucking America (if you are from a civilized country, of course) and I ain't having that shit on MY PROPERTY, you giant niggerfaggot.

Every distro does this, except freetard autism like Trisquel
By its very nature, Linux can't be centralized. If it gets to a point where Red Hat niggers take control over the kernel, we can always fork it.

Universal package manager eh?

Attached: nixwaifu.jpg (499x550, 49K)

thats a thing

usermode drivers like MINIX. X11 and KDE 2 BUILT IN TO THE KERNEL, so no one can use any other desktop environment.

fuck the world 420

I think your shits just all fucked up. I've got an 11 year old laptop and I've never had a problem with wifi drivers on any of the probably dozen or so different distributions ive tried out on it with liveusbs.

>By its very nature, Linux can't be centralized. If it gets to a point where Red Hat niggers take control over the kernel, we can always fork it.
On paper? Yes. Pragmatically? Fuck no.

1. I, as a clueless user, should never see or forced to use command line. EVERY PROGRAM MUST HAVE GUI.
2. BUILD IN ESSENTIAL SOFTWARE LIKE DRIVERS, CODECS, ETC. I don't give a fuck about your freedumbs i want my machine WORK. Last time i dubbled with linux i was bummed out how retarded is installation process for Nvidia drivers. LMAO IF YOU USE OFFICIAL INSTALL SCRIPT THEN IT WILL BE FUCKED USE COMMUNITY ONE.
3. Proper font rendering.
4. Proper vsync for display
5. KDE and XFCE being only DEs. KDE is for windows-like experience, XFCE for toasters. FUCK GNOME, UNITE, ETC

Attached: 1560705285047.jpg (297x319, 25K)

I wouldn’t say it’s better, but it’s definitely a huge step in the right direction.

1. You, are fucking retarded. Use Windows.
2. Nvidia is shit, don't use Nvidia.
3. Linux has proper font rendering.
4. Don't use X, it's so garbage even its developers say it's garbage. Use a wlroots-based Wayland compositor.
5. See 1.

it's an os

Usability bad
Me typing console good
Me look like hacker in matrix

If you weren't a Windows nigger you'd know the terminal is more usable than any GUI. Alas, you're a Windows nigger.

a decent filepicker outside kde.

No it isn't. BSD systems are complete operating systems. Linux is a kernel with a userland duct taped to it. This is not necessarily bad, but it does make Linux a broad spectrum. Android is Linux, but is quite different from desktop Linux for example.

For my windows to not be jittery when I drag them.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ikod2fONH0Q

Bad question. I don't want Linux. I want HERD.

nnn

>don’t use X
Not him, but what should I use instead?

>4. Don't use X, it's so garbage even its developers say it's garbage. Use a wlroots-based Wayland compositor.
>Use a wlroots-based Wayland compositor.
Which really just means sway sadly. Most modern advancements in Wayland have been done by wlroots, but its adoption isn't the greatest so far.

that's a file manager

>1. You, are fucking retarded. Use Windows.
Nice argument, incel. Gatekeeping normal people won't make linux better. You only hurt yourself in a long run.
>2. Nvidia is shit, don't use Nvidia.
It's none of your businessmen what kind of a hardware do i use.
If OS don't supports ALL hardware, then it's a shit OS.
>3. Linux has proper font rendering.
Last time i tried it(2015) it had fucking awful rendering. Did they fixed it finally? Wow, took them long enough. Windows and Mac had good font rendering for 20 years.
>4. Don't use X, it's so garbage even its developers say it's garbage. Use a wlroots-based Wayland compositor.
I'm not obliged to even know what X is. I install OS and expect it to have equal user experience to Windows.
>terminal is more usable than any GUI
In gui you do couple of clicks and everything is done. In console you have to type shit. It physically takes more time to type than to make couple of clicks.

vsync would be nice

Do you know any better alternatives to X?

Your problem is assuming I want normal people to use Linux.
>In gui you do couple of clicks and everything is done. In console you have to type shit. It physically takes more time to type than to make couple of clicks.
Let's move all .jpg and .png files to the folder "Pictures".
>CLI
mv *.jpg *.png Pictures
>GUI
"Alright, where are the pictures? OK let's select them. Wow there's so many folders here it took me 6 seconds of searching to find the Pictures one. Alright now we go in there, right click, and click Paste. Done. Heh, I sure showed that CLIfag."

Wayland

Alright, thanks.

Gamepad support for GUI. Something like SteamOS Big Picture but for KDE.
I want my comfy couch linux

hell yeah motherfucker

about the "everything must have a gui" and the built in driver handler maybe you are looking for the "MX Linux" distro

Attached: mx_linux.png (348x192, 11K)

Get rid of dbus, replace with a plan9-like IPC system.

Get rid of systemd, replace with OpenRC.

Pulseaudio is fine, despite what people say. Pottering needs to go though.

Wayland developers need to stop being autistic about security before we can adopt it.

you hit the nail on the head. i dont know why all these i3 niggers want to look cool, i mean no ones ever gonna see their screens outside of Jow Forums anyway, their rooms look disgusting and theyre fat soooo
i can't wrap my brain around this. are there really people here who think the terminal is better for everything? what you're really telling me is that you think the mouse is useless, which it obviously isn't. you probably run X11 apps daily anyway

User friendly for non programmers

A better community

if you have an amd card it literally doubles your performance

linux is a kernel

linux-libre

Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere and After Effects.

Basically the same drivers for all hardware as Windows. I know it's impossible but I'd be a happy man.

>I'm not obliged to even know what X is. I install OS and expect it to have equal user experience to Windows.
Use macOS or Windows. Linux is a shit for geeks.

>Sony Vegas
Who even uses this gaymer-tier shit? Industry has moved on to nuke which also runs on linux. If you're poor or dumb, there's natron.
>graphical toolkit for C/C++ that wasn't reprehensible fucking shit
Qt is unironically god-tier. If you want muh minimalism, you can plug imgui to your ogl context.

>Basically the same drivers for all hardware as Windows.
Only if hardware manufacturers weren't complete fucking asses.
If they release some fucking specs the kernel hackers will write a driver for it.
If they release one half-assed GPLd driver for the hardware the kernel hackers will fix it, adopt it and it will eventually make its way to mainline.
Barely any effort required.

wayland being more popular than xorg

I still don't know why people think GUIs are more usable.
Tell me where is the difference between remembering what GUI tool to use instead of the command directly your GUI invokes.
Tell me where the difference is between remembering where some dumbfuck UI/UX designer put in an option dropdown menu or reading a man page.

Every fucking argument on both sides fall apart, because people got used to their ways of doing stuff. Yes I like my terminal.

There is only one argument from both sides that are valid.
A GUI is more intuitive. It has a easy learning curve and has an easier way of displaying information.
The terminal allows me to bulk process stuff way more efficiently and automate stuff.

Tell me GUI fags how to rescale 100 pictures to 50x50 126x126 and 256x256 and changing the filename to FILENAME_source.png an FILENAME_YxY.png

Well I’m a retard because I got suckered into the ray tracing gimmick so I’m stuck with a 2060

.exe

Perfectly performing nvidia drivers with windows like control panel

I never do bulk processing. GUIs are easier for not letting go of the mouse and not having to proof read your commands, just click.

>with windows like control panel
THIS. I wash shocked when i first time saw linux Nvida control panel. It's so fucking bare bones

>Tell me GUI fags how to rescale 100 pictures to 50x50 126x126 and 256x256 and changing the filename to FILENAME_source.png an FILENAME_YxY.png
Casual users don't give a fuck about that. Why do you CLI fags always bring it up? Nobody will take away CLI from you if there will be more GUI.
Stop being so fucking defensive. It's not about reducing your comfort, it's about increasing comfort for casual users. No, those things do not cancel out each other.

Nvidia strikes again baby
Make sure to buy the 3060 for $550, gotta support the leather jackets!

Wayland support in all wms/ de's

I would love to see, atleast for the major beginner distros, inbuilt Terminal Crashcourses. Take away the fear of normies that every command could break their machine.

Some simple moving of files bulkmoving renaming. Some grepping, aliases, cron and their first shell script.

It is the truth that Linux will always rely on the terminal when it comes to troubleshooting since there are so many interfaces to interact with the basic commands. So users need to be aware of it and their fear of it needs to be taken away. To fully appreciate Linux

>>linux
>a kernel
>>windows
>an os
>>mac
>a brand of PCs
What are you even trying to talk about here?

Linux as an OS. Linux as a kernel is just a bunch of code you can't utilise. Linux OS is a full system.

I'd like it NOT to have binary blobs

Attached: freedo.png (260x280, 23K)

sincerely, my GNU system which, at the moment, has linux vanilla as the kernel, satisfies me in almost every way i need. I only wish there was no need for firmware blobs for my amd GPU, and the free opencl drivers were blender compatible.

I thought AMD had fully open source drivers?

There is no Linux OS. GNU was always the OS made up of GNU packages and third parties (xorg, linux, kde shit etc). This is literally the concept forever, and people calling it linux only means the people are dumb. Linus itself also knows linux isn't an operating system, and just a kernel to gnu.

Opengl/vulkan drivers, yes. It requires kernel firmware to work tho, and opencl needs the proprietary drivers

*no display server at all

Linux = Linux Is Not UniX retard. Together with shell and packages, it actually becomes useful. There is no reason to talk about "The linux kernel" unless you're programming.

But do I have to deal with DKMS and configurations like shitty nvidia drivers or can I compile the latest kernel with the latest drivers?

>Linux = Linux Is Not UniX retard
I need this on a t-shirt

It needs GNU in order to be useful. At max it uses busybox, musl and shit, and that would still be considered a third party replacement for GNU packages inside a GNU system, as freedom means you can replace gnu stuff themselves.
Linux was NEVER meant to be an operating system, and it isn't.
Also, it is GNU is Not Unix. The linux is not unix thing is for it to combine with the gnu acronym.

nah, if you have linux vanilla with firmware you're golden, no further config needed

I don't understand. I want my own compilation of linux with high performance drivers for 2d/3d tasks. How do I get it?
t. angsty nvidia user

for new amd cards you only need the firmware. The graphics work out of the box, but getting the latest version is a good idea (if you use a LTS distro)

So I can run the .config off Liquorix, compile it myself, then install drivers from amd website or?
What about Mesa, I heard those are faster than AMD drivers.

Just use mesa.

Jesus fucking Christ.
Mesa (amdgpu) are the free drivers with performance on-par or usually better than the proprietary driver (amdgpu-pro).
But in any case you need the firmware blob. No need to compile anything or fuck around with DKMS since it's just a simple binary and the actual driver is part of kernel tree.

Thangs brend. So just install all included linux modules, then mesa from my package manager?

Mesa is installed by default

yaaay thanks for help

no prob, cute user