Intel or AMD

I know that there must have been a post on this already, but I'm going to do a monstrous build and I just want to get more opinions. I'm leaning towards AMD right now, convince me it's the right choice.

Attached: AMD-vs-Intel.jpg (600x337, 37K)

aint convincing you shit
do what ya want

AMD is your best friend right now. Especially since Intel is asking for an assbeating with Ryzen 3000 comin' in.

Morpheus?

Appreciate the reply

> monstrous build

Threadripper is nice, but have you considered two Xeons?

You're welcome user. Welcome to the red cult
>Two Xeons
Boy what do you think the guy is made of, money and little IQ? Get outta here with your security flaws m8

AMD is better future proofing, assuming games use more and more cores in the future. To be honest though, there is a lot of shilling for them going on. People act like you reallly need a million threads. Even 4c/4t i5 7500 outperforms a R7 2700 in many games and applications because single thread performance is still more important than multithreaded performance, but if you got all your information from here or reddit you would probably never even hear that.

Attached: holocaust.jpg (800x445, 171K)

Stop thinking about it, wait till ryzen 3000 drops next month. Then choose the best for your task.

>a monstrous build
And what do you plan on doing with it?

Does doubling the Intel cores mean doubling your security risk
And does that mean two times more hackers can hack you or something

Attached: 1561139454532.png (649x544, 99K)

No, it's the clock speeds that make you vulnerable, idiot. Why do you think Mobos and manufacturer's have been neutering the single-core perf?

>this corporation is your friend
how underage do you have to be to think this? amd are obviously better than intel but any business who wants to sell you their products are not your friend.

OP here. To answer most of your questions in a few lines, it's for some gaming with streaming and heavy editing, also future proofing myself for a while. But it's mostly for the heavy editing that I'm really trying to future proof myself for. Again I appreciate the reply's and seeing as they are dropping the 3000 next month it's going to be a lean on AMD. Even with the price reductions on the Intel's when it drops.

I meant that as in AMD > Intel, not as in buy our shit pl0x

You cannot go wrong with a 9900k
8c/16t will gonna last you years and years

>You cannot go wrong with a 9900k
lmao yes you can
especially with all the hardware mitigations
and when you consider there is less than a month until zen 2

go for the 3900x or possibly even 3950x if you need the extra power

9900k? Is that code for housefire?

Still better than a 3800x

Attached: fdfdf.jpg (856x816, 153K)

barely, for $100+ more

Well games are going to use more and more cores because both sides have 6/8c mainstream CPUs. In 2019. 4c CPUs are entry level.

>barely

Attached: 1561233319349.jpg (1012x460, 63K)

Attached: graph_3[1].png (600x225, 13K)

yes, barely

Attached: untitled-1[1].png (725x731, 201K)

This was my unbiased bench from earlier today. Using a NH-D15 air cooler and optimal ram. 3800x still can't touch it core for core.

Attached: hahaha.jpg (855x732, 131K)

>optimal ram and top-of-the-line cooler vs stock shit
>wins
whoa

>slow quality preset
>encoding on the same system as gaming on

Oh no no no ahahahah

R9 3950x
X570 godlike
Rx 5700xt

Optimal ram for intel is 2666 sticks vs $500 4000 gaymer ram with rgbs for amd.

You’re also going to need a cooler on the 3700 to go above 4ghz reliably.

Attached: 1488462576190.png (882x758, 316K)

>recommending navi

200 rupees have been credited to your AMD marketing partner account.

Ryzens are maxed out of the box, They won't get any higher unless you use ln2

you don't know how to read do you

>being this buttripped

>comparing your own settings vs stock and acting like you're winning when shows otherwise

Intel vs AMD doesn't matter all that much anymore, but if you buy 4c4t as one corelet recommended you're genuinely retarded and deserve the experience you get. If you buy 4c8t, 6c6t, or 8c8t, regardless of clock speed, you'll regret it but possibly not right away, depending on what you do.

To give you a quick idea of just how close even 8c8t (i7-9700K for example) is to being obsolete, consoles today have 8 threads or "cores" (extremely weak ~2GHz jaguar cores). You probably want a better experience than the 20-30fps many console titles target, which means you're looking for at minimum a modern 4c8t or 8c8t at around 4GHz to 4.5GHz to get a consistent 60fps 0.1% lows in EXISTING console ports without any multitasking.

The situation for corelets gets so much worse if you start multitasking, caring about input lag, or want low frametime variance, frame to frame variance, or frame to vblank variance. In Windows 10, the sweet spot requires at least 2 open threads to prevent significant occasional delays from critical background tasks like I/O handling being queued up. There are (awful) modern game engines written with non-incremental garbage collection as well, and your experience can benefit from extreme threading in some of those.

Finally, new consoles are coming out soon. Zen 2 8c16t chips at likely over 2.6GHz. Imagine running an 8c8t chip at less than double the speed and trying to get a better experience than consoles on software optimized for 16 threads.

My advice, as someone with intimate knowledge of how game engines work, is to buy a 3600 and an X570 in a few weeks to tide you over, then upgrade to a real gaming CPU and sell the 3600 once you realize just how limited it is.

Attached: i5-9600k-review-far-cry-5_1080p.png (892x759, 98K)

>as someone with intimate knowledge of how game engines work
you some sorta game dev?

Yes my test shows i'm thoroughly winning by a lot and not gimping my system with sub optimal hardware/settings

Attached: 1556295578434.png (898x882, 108K)

yes, your "tests" which is a highly optimized benchmark being compared to stock leaks
what a big win, buddy!

why you mad though?

>those low-ass framerates on a 2080ti
what a poorly-optimized game, jesus christ

>h-haha just accept my shilling like a good goy, stop getting mad!
2008 called and asked for its memes back

I'm contracted occasionally to help other developers fix critical flaws in their software, usually games, but all the stuff I said you can look up on your own.

I made an appeal to authority but it's better if you don't take my word for it, I'm wrong a lot. In the past I often said asinine fanboy shit like "hyper-threading is useless".

Here's the lowest score i was able to achieve, Hope it makes you feel better.

Attached: kjhsdbgf.png (854x841, 39K)

>fuck you my processor that costs $100+ more and has better ram and cooling does more!!!
it really does make me feel better, yeah

For reference on how idiotic "hyper-threading is useless" was, see pic related. Compare 2600K to modern i5s in 0.1% lows.

Attached: intel-i7-2600k-2018-bench_fc5_1080p.png (892x759, 110K)

Hope you know ryzen won't get any better right? You can't overclock those things without exotic cooling.

i'm sure it'll do better than than wraith cooler it comes with, timmy

I won't buy anything that isn't hyper threaded, i kind of feel sorry for the people that bought a 9700k

It's a great chip, it's just inconsistent. Put simply more threads means more consistency especially in windows 10, whereas higher clocks means better maximum performance.

I thought ram didn't matter for intel

>encoding on the same system as gaming on

Imagine being such a pathetic Intel shill without access to a 3900x that thought that encoding and gaming simultaniously was unthinkable. It's not 2012 anymore gramps you don't need 2 computers to do that.

Attached: 9b5.jpg (611x404, 39K)

Amd is better price to performance wise while also being cheaper. Yes they aren't as efficient as Intel chips but nonetheless are a great option now since the ryzen 3000 series are coming out

Then the 3900x was made for you. You could be using 6c12t to encode and still have 6c12t to game with. That's a whole fuckton of power.

Intel has zero things to compete with that. Zero. They have jack.

9700k is a sensible chip IMO. 8c8t won't age very well but it's great for the moment for gamers and Ryzen won't even change that. Some people have high enough budgets to just keep buying the latest and greatest.

>buying an unsecure, performance-mitigated chip

Go with AMD.

>mitigations out the ass
>"sensible"
sure thing bud

Yeah the i5 is a product for light computer users who need single threaded apps like their browser to run well and will be doing limited multitasking.

It's pretty shit for everybody else. Non-hyperthreaded Hexacore on the desktop being sold as a mid-range part is a good joke.

Oh yeah? Which mitigations make 9700k slower than Ryzen in gaming bub.

Wait for Ryzen 3000. I will be here soon, and its gonna blow away everything currently on the market, especially in performance/price.

stupid

Attached: 6ebv4oa[1].png (910x412, 334K)

Modern games, especially open world, are moving towards continuous streaming of assets from SSD to RAM. This is gonna get fucked hard by mitigations since loading from disk is a system call, where mitigations kick in.

>AMD benches

Also note that Intels chips can be overclocked to the moon this generation.

>go with intel and get gimped performance by exploit fixes
>go with ryzen and get the same gimped single and quad core perf because amd is pajeets
you can't win rn desu

"the moon" is an interesting way to say "before your house catches fire"

Get a Xeon if you are serious about work

>buying xeon when even threadrippers clean their clocks

memeripper has no ecosystem

your mum doesn't either but she's still wilder than a rainforest

>8c/16t
Fucking kek
You mean
>8c/8t

>current single core performance in ryzen worse than my i5 2500
lmaoing @ amdjeets

have you considered your two xeons being as slow as an fx 6300 after exploit fixes?

AMD is going to be absolute king on value/$. and they're the way better company. there's basically no reason to buy intel anymore unless you suck dick. thats the tldr

lmao R7 2700u performs about as well as a i7 2600k but keep sucking dicks i suppose

Too bad you won't get 8c16t for years and years if you buy Intel.

>9900k
>8c/16t
is someone gonna tell him or should i do it

A 7600k loses to a r5 1600 in many new releases.

no other choice, will never use those novideos gimping mother fuckers cards again.

Honestly, AMD hasn't won yet.
Zen 2 is all speculation right now.

So Intel, until proven other wise.

>AMD processor doing something an intel one cant

Are you actually this stupid?

amd literally invented 64bit for desktop lmaoooooooo

amd was the first to hit 1ghz lmaoooooooooooo

amd made the first dual core lmaoooooooooooooo

>2080TI, 9900k
>minimum fps below 144
>max fps too
lmao are game devs even self-aware at this point

Should I wait for Zen 4? All I do is play minecraft, league of legends, and elder scrolls. I only have a 1050ti and a ryzen 3 1200 and don't think I can justify a cpu upgrade with a gpu that is simultaneously bad for newer games but runs everything I want it to. no bully

Attached: e9ec457cddcc7b2d3c395d389e1ac7d2.jpg (563x751, 60K)

>convince me
nah

Go with Zen 2.
It beats Intel on all categories for cheaper. There's not much to think about.

>Not buying a 2080ti or Radeon VII and having it pay for itself via mining while idle.

mine what

Using another machine to encode when you have 12+ cores is retarded. But I understand, Intel idiots have to do this.

Waiting for Zen 4 (Ryzen 5000) is bad because your motherboard definitely won't be compatible.

You could go either way. On general principle it's best to wait for Zen3 (Ryzen 4000) when you can afford a GPU upgrade at the same time. Your budget doesn't sound like it can afford an upgrade this early.

Intel is still winning by quite a bit in single threaded performance they're just more behind than ahead.

nice try, nvidia

Attached: kyle-hansen-1.jpg (300x300, 21K)

>winning by quite a bit in single threaded performance
You mean matched.

you shouldn't wait for anything and just keep what's working now, until you run into something it can't do.

In all the benchmarks I've seen Intel is ahead by like an eighth. It's just that almost everything is multithreaded now so Intel isn't really ahead in most applications.

I wonder how fast ray tracing and radiosity calculations with vrad will be with the 3700X at full power compared to the 4770K

>getting 4c8t in the current year
this isn't 2014 anymore people