Raspberry Pi

What's the point of this?

Attached: Raspberry Pi Zero.jpg (1024x1024, 93K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4s63Of4bstg
scribles.net/
zdnet.com/article/nasa-hacked-because-of-unauthorized-raspberry-pi-connected-to-its-network/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's a small computer.
In 1950, the most powerful device on the planet. Today, a child's toy.

Let's you embed a programmable general purpose linux machine into your diy projects for $5. The value proposition here is immense.

DNS black hole via pihole. For $10 you get a near ad free experience in your whole home.

learning things.

So I can get a ubuntu shitposting machine for 5 bucks?

Yes, but it will be very slow.

To run RiscOS and make money from the boomer bounties

It's gonna cost more than that if you wanna plug in a monitor and peripherals, this is designed as a no frills headless unit you access via ssh.

can it run Doom 3?

Is it actually powerful enough for that? I have a pi 0 W laying around as I wait for more gpi cases to hit amazon. May as well use it for something in the meantime.

>What's the point of this?
to sell overpriced peripherals...
just like apple products exist to sell dongles.

Yes, at about 2fps

youtube.com/watch?v=4s63Of4bstg

Of course. I have a Pi Zero connected to my router. It consumes so little power that I plugged the USB into the router's USB port for harddrives and it runs just fine. I even use the DHCP function.
Great for shitty devices like phones and tablets so you can even block in-app ads that are otherwise hard to get rid of.
Since you already have a Pi lying around you got nothing to lose. Start downloading Raspbian now!

Attached: 1406759933002.jpg (240x200, 10K)

that's actually kinda impressive
I remember this game being a big deal for not being able to run on your average pc back in the day, and seeing it run on something so small feels so surreal

That's an old port too, according to the dev it could run much faster if it could use multiple CPU cores (which RPi has) and OpenGL ES

think it could be a VoIP server?

I didn't even know such software existed for the Pi until now.

It's a fun toy that teaches the user
How can you go wrong at a 35$ price point?

It can run Kodi.

it is actually faster than original pi and consumes much less power.

If you program in Go or Rust or C it will be lot of computing power for ultra cheap

It is more powerful in terms of memory, storage, speed, etc. than the computer which powered my whole college in the mid 1990s by far. That computer supported thousands of simultaneous logged in users using terminals connected to serial ports as well as connecting over the college’s network and the Internet. It’s what you used to compile your assignments, run emacs, read Usenet and email, sign up for classes, interface with the library...

If you can’t figure out what to do with a computer the size of a stick of gum why are you even here?

Slides up undilated butts easier.

How well?
Also how about calibre?

You can run a number of Linuxes and other OS’s on it most all of which support calibre as a package and all of which could be compiled from source by a monkey.

But if you mean does Raspbian support calibre, the answer is yes.

this site has about 20 pages of ideas & code
scribles.net/

It exists to steal numale money

You route your entire home's internet through a RPi 0 or am I misunderstanding this?

Every DNS request goes through the RPI first and then to the DNS server. In that process the address gets checked with the blacklists you choose and if it's blocked, the request won't be forwarded at all.

I use mine to monitor temperature and humidity at two points in my snake's enclosure and display it to a small LCD screen.

Using the GPIO of these things are the absolute minimum requirement for getting them. They're useless for pihole and other shit suggestions ITT so far.

Retro machine for My kids. They Love it

You can hack a Government agency with them

zdnet.com/article/nasa-hacked-because-of-unauthorized-raspberry-pi-connected-to-its-network/

Attached: collage-1.jpg (1349x906, 92K)

RasPBX is a premade Raspbian+Asterisk+FreePBX distro that you can just put on a SD card and have a tiny VoIP server. You need a reasonably fast card and the bloated web UI runs like shit on Pi 1 and Zero, though.

your shekels

you can do the same with a vm in your local

Can I use one for pihole + torrent seeding?
Is a Rock64 better for nearly the same price?

For $5 bucks, maybe a few extra for additional parts, you can proto something like a temperature sensor/display
Now, say, you wanted to program said device to turn on some fans, say, inside of a computer box if the temperature goes above a certain point.
You've now built your own cooling/display monitor for your custom PC

Cool, eh?

can't you just get a program on your pc to do that sort of shit instead of buying another pc just for that?

Yes but it's crap because no ethernet, a Rock64 is better, but if you want something smaller, Orange Pi zero is your choice.

That's not as fun
And if you do it with the Pi, you can tranfer it between cases in the future of upgrades to different towers.

I found some neat pins to solder onto my piZ

I think it looks more low-profile

Attached: IMG_0798.jpg (1210x1613, 699K)

you can use em for pretty much anything, from controlling a robot to small home automation or just a low power NAS (using a usb hdd)

No. The Pi Zero is too slow. Midori as a browser kinda works, but it's hideously slow and a bit shit anyway.
A Pi 2 or better can run Chromium at something approaching (if not quite at) a usable speed and can post on Jow Forums.
Firefox chokes on its own ass just drawing its own UI on a Pi, but that's mostly because Firefox is a fat piece of shit these days -- about 20 or 30 versions or so ago, FF worked, if a little slowly.

why use headers instead of jsut soldering to the vias

>The Pi Zero is too slow
it's not that bad for web browsing

basis of IOT

I literally used a raspberry pi as my desktop for 8 months as a neet

it was horrible

Attached: asian-woman-crying.png (1136x640, 742K)

nobody buys these for computer they use them because they have discrete IO. don't you wanna hack your home user?

What's the best performance I can get from a 3B+?

because the alternative to a raspberry pi is pic related and nobody wants to program pic related because ladder logic is for boomers.

Attached: R7140098-01.jpg (444x304, 18K)

Raspberry pis are good for kids who are starting to get into technical shit. It gives them a full linux system on a low powered where if it's broken, people wouldn't be upset. It gives people a full sandbox of things to do. It's slow, but it's not made for web browsing, it's made to teach people the basics of technology.
That being said, it's pretty shitty if you're using it for anything other that text editing.

Is the Pi Zero compatible with Arduino stuff?

walmart laptops are $200....

>$200
wew rothschild over here

>What's the point of this?
text browsing over dial-up

I made a pihole and a security camera
Can I create anything else to improve my quality of life and electric bill.

would they be good for adults that don't know how to code too?

No

Your uncle molested you

the fucking NASA got hacked because of one of these.

NASA's a joke nowadays anyway

Because I'm not using that one for a 1-time application. It's my proto-Pi

The pi will never be a plc. Keep dreaming little niglet.

Does pihole block yt ads on console? I have pfsense router and can't figure it out

Nope

Just the DNS requests, its' very low bandwidth

It used to but jewgle outjewed the filters and serves everything from the same domains. An active filter checking for content served could maybe work (don't know if one exists) but pihole ain't it.

yeah, it's better than a PLC

>still has an RS232 connection
>PLCs will never be replaced.

Attached: csascsc.png (1507x695, 269K)

>lacking proprietary protocols
never gonna make it

I've been using a pi2 as a daily driver for a few months now, replacing my 15 year old desktop.

The only downsides so far is 1gb of ram simply isn't enough to run a browser with more than a few tabs and the sd card/ethernet/usb ports all sharing the same bus means the system hangs as it does big buffered writes during torrenting. Other than that I love it.

Attached: 1559483950621.png (670x675, 122K)

>>still has an RS232 connection
Based.

Absolutely not. Pi runs full-blown Linux, while (classic) Arduino is barebones 8-bit shit with no OS.

>still uses Datahighway plus

There's no reason why a Pi can't be a PLC. It might not serve strict real-time tasks without switching to a non-Linux OS, but it's perfectly fine for non time critical automation (especially if you need network connectivity, since the implementation of web services and even simple Modbus/TCP on PLCs is complete ass in 100% of cases)

Nice.

I recently got a pi3(b+). Gonna use it to connect my old pc I built to my tv using pi as steamlink so I can play morrowind and other old games.

I'm also gonna setup a small script that tests my internet speed every hour and logs the speeds so I can send the graphs to my ISP and get them to sort their shit out.

the cases where a pi could function as plc are the ones where you can replace the controller by relay logic entirely

automated machines that run any serious objects/hour require the controller to read/write i/q's like every 5-10ms ontop of processing the loop or they might miss an important signal flank and the whole thing shuts down into error mode

>say a 3 B+ for 30$ at fries
>Bought another one
Help

PLCs are extremely slow compared to generic micro controllers you can buy for ten dollars. PLCs use ancient hardware. they are on the way out boomer.

Mine is a server. Chat server for old computers.
They make for handy little servers. you can do plenty of things with them.

Attached: rpi0w.jpg (1358x1047, 502K)

and no serious programmer wants to fuck with ladder logic, that was created for old faggots like you who couldn't handle real programming and had to have drag and drop blocks like a total negroid.
if I ever have to use ladder logic I annoy people cuz I'll still type it out rather than use drag and drop like a pleb.
XIC Cock_is_present XIC user_is_on_knees XIO user_is_straight OTE Begin_dick_process_started

Not all "serious" automation requires millisecond precision. The last PLC project I've been involved with was about as serious as it gets with lives at stake and massive redundancy everywhere the eye could see, but there was nothing that would fail catastrophically if a signal was delayed by as much as a second.

Also, a Pi is *cheaper* than relay logic, you just have to sort out reliability. Or you could use it as a network endpoint in addition to a "real" PLC, since as I've said, the web-related functionality of "real" PLCs is absolute shit (or even entirely nonexistent).

There are PLCs that are based on generic modern MCUs like Cortex-M3. A lot of their slowness comes down to error checking, bloat and manufacturer jewery.

You know ladder logic isn't the only way to program a PLC, right?

Attached: P1040728.jpg (2048x1538, 223K)

lmao
Ladder is for amerisharts only
rest of the world used to be instruction list but long ago moved onto st/x
>Not all "serious" automation requires millisecond precision.
i get that
i merely provided a case where a pi could not substitute a plc, thus them going nowhere in the professional world

>Running a server on wifi

Can it run BASIC?!?

Attached: 1559513445078.jpg (662x552, 110K)

so? adds 1ms latency maybe? its not for transferring files.

>thus them going nowhere in the professional world
That's kind of obvious, even if Pi had a hard real-time OS and automation-specific IDE available, "muh serious industry" needs a reliable supplier with a wide assortment of I/O hardware plus certifications and shit that neither the Pi Foundation nor the Pi community are interested in getting. For more down-to-earth projects, especially hobbyist automation where people don't have 500 bucks to shell out for a CPU module alone, a Pi can be entirely sufficient.

If you can't figure out what to do with a fully functional linux machine that requires almost no power or space, you might be retarded.

Great for emulating old consoles (SNES, SEGA, ETC.)

The main advantage of a PLC is it remembers what instruction it was on if the power goes out, and can resume normally as soon as power is restored. They are specialized for industrial automation. The money involved at that level makes a PLC look as expensive as a pi.

That's a very useful feature, but in a fairly narrow subset of applications. In simpler cases you can restart from scratch, in complex cases there's almost always battery backup and a routine to detect an outage and properly shut down the rest of the system. (It's also theoretically possible to implement resuming on a Pi, but nobody cares)

Fucking based.
Keep fighting the good fight.

No they're not faggot.

>Using a Pi Zero for an NAS server
>Over wifi

Then wtf is it serving? Please don't say it's a web server because web servers are serving (i.e.: transferring) files to your browser.

i kinda want one so i can run plan 9 on it

I said pi not arduino. Rs232/485 is mandatory in scada and plcs particularly for isolated equipment.

Go project your fat aggressions somewhere else.

Fucking useless piece of shit in an automation cabinet.
>boot time well over 30 seconds
>fs easily corruptable with a brown out
>uses bash and many other protocols so it can be remotely commanded and controlled without forced auditing within the plant control system
>improper for mcc bucket control, scada, industrial I/O etc without major modification. Robot control is a fucking joke.
>pitiful libraries for any serious industrial control or automation
>meme support for sw and hw
>no hope of any kind of hazard enviroment certification

But more importantly
>it can't be replaced at 4 am by a sparky.

Why the fuck would I build a calculator when I can just buy one? This is what industrial plcs are for you stupid niggers.

>used a raspberry pi as my desktop for 8 months
>it was horrible
I can imagine. I was using an Athlon64 2ghz with 1GB of ram and a 4200 rpm hard drive for a few months in Fall 2016. Never again. I imagine the pi was even worse.

The user said it's a chat server. Not exactly a lot of throughput through one of those regardless of protocol.