/wdg/ - Web Development General

Previous thread: >Beginner Roadmap and Overview
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap
youtube.com/watch?v=UnTQVlqmDQ0

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction to HTML/CSS/JS and Node.js or Django
freecodecamp.org - curriculum including HTML/CSS/JS, React, Node.js, Express, and MongoDB
javascript.info - curriculum providing a strong basis in JavaScript

>Further learning resources and documentation
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
hackr.io - crowdsourced collection of tutorials from across the web for learning languages and libraries (ignore sponsored stuff, look at upvotes)
learnxinyminutes.com - quick reference sheets for the syntax of many different languages (generally not sufficient on their own for learning something, but very helpful)
pastebin.com/gfBPg24A - Collection of PHP links.

>Asking questions
jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS
3v4l.org/ - Use this and post a link, if you need help with PHP/HackLang

Attached: wdg_hip.png (1152x720, 193K)

Other urls found in this thread:

w3schools.com/tags/tag_template.asp
jsfiddle.net/ka87Lf6s/
stackoverflow.com/questions/47311081/redirect-http-requests-to-https-on-aws-api-gateway-using-custom-domains
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Fuck webshit and fuck front-end niggers you arent programmers you are pretenders

Attached: 1547834083396.gif (200x200, 1.16M)

Based.

Anyone knows how to inject different implementations by environment using Guice? I can't find anything about that in the wiki.
Like, in memory database for a local environment and real database implementation for production.
I can think of a couple of ways but nothing very clean.

Who gives a shit you autist, at least we are in-demand unlike you.

What are my choices if I don't want to deal with client-side html rendering? Is Bootstrap still a thing? Is it modern enough?

“web” “development”

yes Bootstrap is still a thing, but how does that relate to your clientside rendering question?
And what do you mean specifically with 'deal with clientside rendering', because the alternative is dealing with server-side-rendering.

I'm unironically going to take a sysadmin job. So I can work on and maintain my websites in peace, while also getting paid by an employer.

I mean I don't want to build user interface with JS (React/Angular/Whatever) out of raw data received via API. I want to write HTML templates on the server, render and cache them, but still have nice enough looks and responsiveness. I also would like to have a JS library to manipulate the HTML later on (not build HTML from scratch) to add some interactivity. My skills are a bit outdated and I don't know what to pick.

Why not write elements in your HTML, use JS to clone it, complete it with info gotten from server, then render it?
w3schools.com/tags/tag_template.asp

Why the flying fuck do people almost unanimously choose to disable csrf protection in their code?

Talking about tutorials, github repos, fucking production code.

Attached: 89b8bbac30ccb12da2c14013556602405b849c0f9b905c8d10c9e1fc1c1b685b.jpg (381x412, 29K)

csrf being offered and enabled by default in spring security

>a JS library to manipulate the HTML later on (not build HTML from scratch)
There isn't actually much of a difference between the two. You don't write a bunch of complex render functions to produce some tags with unchanging text.
You just write it out by hand once, just like you would do without a framework.

The difference is just, that you specify some parts of the HTML, that will dynamically update, when the data you keep in the framework changes.
So something like jsfiddle.net/ka87Lf6s/

Yep, this is what I need. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
So should I just pick Vue then? Or React/Angular can do it too? Why are there so many of them?

I like Vue, so if you ask me I am pretty biased towards that.
It's definitely a good introduction, if you were to pick one of the 3.
Talking about Vue and React, once you got to know one of them, picking up the other isn't a big deal imo.

>React/Angular can do it too?
You can pretty much do the same thing with each.
They have their differences, but it's not too important right now.
If you pick one, then I would either recommend Vue or React.
Vue may be more in line with what you are probably looking for in regards to how the templating works.
The official docs are pretty good, so you can just check out these.
Doesn't hurt to take a few minutes to also look at the React intro, just so you get a rough idea there as well.

If you're thinking about using bootstrap, and all you want to do is minimal interactivity and DOM manipulation, then you might just stick with jquery only.
It's hard to say without knowing more specifics about your project. Frameworks like react/angular/vue are very powerful and they may be much more than you need.

Does it make sense to use JWT in a non-RESTful application?

Attached: 1491492618672.jpg (593x864, 131K)

I wish to do this someday. Be able to maintain my own Digital Ocean servers for a small number of clients by myself. Sounds comfy if you know what your doing.

Choose a web framework and use whatever HTML templating engine comes with it. You absolutely don't want to get into the whole single page application mess if you want to keep it simple. Trust me, simple examples may look nice but they're not representative of the whole experience.

How to do interactivity then? JQuery?

Yes.
Define interactivity.
Basically as long as you can manage your entire website with a roundtrip to the server and use AJAX for the remaining 5% you don't need React and friends.
It's when you get to the awkward point where like 50% of your HTTP calls are AJAX that SPA frameworks can actually help you.

>Define interactivity.
Well, something like Jow Forums would be nice. Autoload or hide replies, post without redirects, movable forms, thread watcher, etc. It's not super smooth but it's good enough.

The amount of AJAX calls has nothing to do really whether React and the likes makes sense or not.
You may have a site that's completely self-contained without any external data being pulled in and the way you want to go about dynamically updating it may be done best with React.

Or you just have a button here or there that's supposed to do something, then of course just quickly add some eventlisteners, instead of tasking React with that.
Really depends on what you need to render, not where the data comes from.

desu either works really...
jQuery or 'vanilla' is the imperative way to do it, Vue or React is declarative.

>specify how the DOM should be modified
vs
>specify how the DOM should look as a final result

Any wordpress gurus around?
What's the correct way to implement a shortcode thing that has javascript involved? Like if I wanted to make a shortcode that has a button that shoots off fireworks each time you click it.

Do I just shove the javascript into tags in the shortcode? That doesn't seem best practice, but it does seem used, I think. Better ideas?

How do you Jow Forumsentlemen feel about Laravel? I've been using it for a while now and I think it's a really easy PHP-framework to learn and use.

Attached: 1280px-Laravel.svg.png (1280x884, 60K)

i like it too it's really easy. i am going to try symfony after i finish this laravel project.

I should learn it, it's the most popular framework I'm seeing in job ads at the moment.

Kinda weird that Drupal has plummeted in terms of popularity. Too many exploits, framework swap fucking everyone over?

Is Django relevant in 2019?

Does wordpress multisite share users between sites by default, or not?

Just realized there was a general for this. Guess I'll post this again here.

How hard is it to bullshit your way into a webdev job? I can easily play Legos with the meme framework of the year and do basic sql queries, so I think I'm perfectly qualified already. I also know all the common data structures and algos inside out and can implement any fizz buzz shit a webdev interviewer is likely to throw at me, and in 5 different languages at that. Also have extensive knowledge of low level programming not that you need it for webdev. Only problem is I don't have a degree or any experience or a gimmick portfolio. So how do I BS my way in bros.

Literally saved a horrible language from death.

they have a problem with people moving up to drupal 8. drupal 7 and 8 have the same roadmap and same scheduled end of life. drupal is absolute shit to scale horizontally too. an outsourced site with 300 modules scans literally every module dir on bootstrap, which cannot be cached without hacking core.

there's also none to absolutely abysmal options for managing content on it's own, migrating it between environments, e.g. moving a piece of content from stage to dev, and so much more shit.

what does drupal do better than any other framework?

>Kinda weird that Drupal has plummeted in terms of popularity.
it's cause drupal8 is convoluted and annoying to work with. devs chose to learn other languages and frameworks instead since their d7 skills don't translate.

You are just another codemonkey that thinks he's superior to other codemonekys.

That's assuming you're actually employed and that you've done something more than toy projects at school.

>just another codemonkey
Arent we all

>decide to learn wed development
>going through a complete beginner web dev course from udemy
>HTML
>CSS
>javscript
>jQuery
>bootstrap
Actually pretty fun and made some decent websites
>wordpress
What the fuck is this thing. I heard wordpress made web dev easier, but it seems too restrictive. Where is the text editor? Do I actually have to learn wordpress to do any freelance work?

>Do I actually have to learn wordpress to do any freelance work
Depends.
I am also thinking about offering some webdev services, but my plan is to rather use some static-site-generator together with a headless CMS to build new sites. So the guy can still modify his stuff, but there is no real backend needed and basically nothing to be hacked by random bots.

If you know WP you probably never have problems finding work, because it's so widely used and it's easy to just take some templates and pump out sites like crazy.

Sort of but there seem to be tons more node jobs or ror jobs. I learned Django as my first framework and don't revert it but am planning to learn node/react for job searching. I don't want to be a neet anymor friends!

Make a few things for a portfolio. Learn the meme in demand tech. Use html5up or bootstrap for a dev portfolio site. Say you know cloud when you actually don't

I have a Route53 zone pointed to an API Gateway Custom Domain Name for my website. The API requires https to even be setup, so https is required to make a valid request. If i go to the API gateway endpoints directly with all the aws dns boilerplate, my requests will be forced to https, but if I go through my hosted zone, http requests are invalid and dont get forced https. How can I get my route53 aliases to force https?

No, unless you're going to be sending lots of request for private resources.

DNS is just the lookup for the domain name, it translates the domain into an IP address and then it's done. DNS doesn't care whether the request is going to be HTTP or HTTPS, so the setting won't be in Route53.

It sounds like question/answer will help you:
stackoverflow.com/questions/47311081/redirect-http-requests-to-https-on-aws-api-gateway-using-custom-domains

I think they expect you to use API Gateway for an embedded API and not for a regular website, so that's why this is unintuitive and kind of a pain in the ass.

Getting gunicorn to work with 2 different django projects on the same machine is a pain

I'm going to work on a gambling website and am trying to decide on a backend framework, either Django or Express/node. Can someone help sell me on one or the other? I've done projects in both but honestly don't have a real handle on the pros/cons at a production level