Do you ever use a media server for Anime, or do you just watch straight from your hard drive the old-fashioned way?

Do you ever use a media server for Anime, or do you just watch straight from your hard drive the old-fashioned way?

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (1200x675, 26K)

Depends, if its an old series or a movie with remaster bd i probabily download it
Other than that i use streaming

i download to my pc and watch that way

i use plex mostly to stream music from my pc to my phone but i also use it for anime/music at work sometimes

I actually have thought about this for a bit.

I have a spare raspberry pi that I wanted to use as a media server and somehow when I finish downloading a torrent, I just move it to this rpi server and watch it on my TV.

Problem that I came across is that I either want to control the server (as in choosing a show) from either my phone or from my main computer and not attach another bloody keyboard and mouse to the thing.

I have yet to figure this out.

I've tried using Shoko + Kodi for anime but sadly it's a buggy slow mess. I'm not interested in renaming shit just to get Plex working, even with Filebot it's a pain.

I use a plex server, its really convenient to be able to keep all my torrents in one place and watch them on any device.

An rpi probably couldn't act as a media server because its too weak for any serious re-encoding work.

Attached: 1559857344520.jpg (1280x720, 426K)

>An rpi probably couldn't act as a media server because its too weak for any serious re-encoding work.

Welp, in that case, back to the good old fashion torrent -> watch -> toss to external for me then.

Try Kodi user, or you can use Plex without transcoding.

Shoko is ass, use anidbomatic and the anidb plugin for Kodi.

I stream from my laptop to my ps4 using ps3 media server, easy af

I've tried the anidb plugin for Kodi and had poor luck with it as well, it fails to recognize half of my anime even with folders renamed. The only thing I can get working reliably in Kodi is tvdb but that requires English names which is shit.

>streaming anime

>duckduckgo
>>>/reddit/

I put a tvshow.nfo in the root of each show folder that contains the correct id, like
>aid=4544
and that's enough for it to get the right one every time.

Neat, I'll give it a try. Thanks user.

no you stupid faggot.

Sure. My seed box is in my room and that has a tv connected to it but when I’m in another part of the house I access my stuff I use the media server

One of my friends has an obsessively large media collection (I'm talking over 20TB of movies, TV, Anime, Music, etc) and he has Plex set up for his friends to use. I usually just download my own shit, but it's nice to use.

You can also try customizing how it does the title matching and hope the looks work better, since the default ones are set up to work with tvdb's retarded scheme. But since you're recognizing the files already, I found it easier to just put the id in. It's been a couple years since I set it up, so there may be something I'm forgetting, but all the info was on either the Kodi wiki or forums.

I usually decided to torrent it when it was a good anime that I can rewatch from time to time. For finding out new anime I use streaming.

All the time with my tower on
Streaming to my tv feels comfy

>I have a spare raspberry pi that I wanted to use as a media server and somehow when I finish downloading a torrent, I just move it to this rpi server and watch it on my TV.
Raspberry Pi is slow as dicks. Weak CPU, limited to 100 Mb/s networking (maybe 200 on the newest model), USB 2.0 only.

There's nothing strange about using duckduckgo.

theres no reason to though and it gets search results removed as well.

>hurrr it says privacy ahaha
>duckduckgo is the best

Attached: flat,800x800,075,f.u2 (1).jpg (644x800, 71K)

I have a 2TB slot on whatbox.ca, and it has PLEX built-in. Saturates any internet connection I've ever had, and streaming 1080p is no problem. PLEX is a bit slow to start the stream, though, and occasionally jitters. about 90% as reliable as something like Netflix.

Very comfy storing anime/TV there and then watching it on the smart TV or at work.
The situation has never come up where I'd want to watch something on my phone though.

I've been watching them all on the TV for years. One of the best decisions I've ever made.

Straight from my hard drive. Like a normal person.

Hard drive.
My TV is in the same room so I just ran an HDMI cable through the room.

Idk. I'd like to use plex more but it doesn't work with rips that use ordered chapters (which still exist for some reason. thanks for nothing coalgirls.) and also is less convenient for taking screenshots. There's also the fact that I am retarded and therefore plex sometimes encodes and streams at speeds below what my PC and internet connection are capable of.
So for now it's watching anime directly with media players all the way.

Out of topic question but, how full is your hard in term of size and how many have you watch. etc.

I use a combination of minidlna on my laptop and kodi on my fire stick to stream anime to my tv. It works for anything that isn't High-10 profile, which fansubbers are fetishistically attached to for some goddamn reason.

I've tried watching anime on my tv but it always makes me feel uncomfortable for some reason.
I will stick with watching it on my pc from my HDD.

I only use my plex to watch anime on my phone or the living room tv

>Not streaming anime

brainlet here, whats the difference between this and streaming?

I watch it with kodi from my home server simply shared with samba. It's to hassle to setup media server since there is too much variance in sources since i'm not from english-speaking country. Some are dubbed, some are subbed, some are subbed with subs have to be downloaded from opensubtitles or addic7ed.

A literal stream thread?
What the fuck happened to /a/?

Attached: 1559164111266.webm (852x480, 61K)

Streaming downloaded anime in your local network is not the same as streaming from some shit site.

Unless you're reading bytes of data directly off of your HDD/SSD that are plugged in to your motherboard, you're streaming and streaming is for faggots and you should fuck off and die in a fire, streaming nigger.

Nvidia shield tv + Kodi + elementum (torrent plugin)

Can play all my hi10p animu, for tougher encodes I use mx player

>Streaming downloaded anime in your local network is not the same as streaming from some shit site.

It's quite similar since Plex and others just send you an 8 bit h264 stream

Any advantage in banding reduction of hi10p is lost
Get educated

based

You really have no idea how computers are working, don't you.

Actually do. It's really convenient.

Attached: plex.jpg (1280x960, 74K)

>It's quite similar
Fucking retarded. Plex is not the only way to stream local content.

Got it, you just spit whatever your hear around.

Attached: 879af147fd69c9daf1b068c267821999c865383412c09268028e2d7108f7e366.jpg (1920x1080, 112K)

It really doesn't get any gayer than this. You are literally downloading anime just so that you can stream it. You're not even using some shitty streaming site. No, you're actually putting work into it in order to replicate the straming experience. This is the equivalent to getting a girlfriend and forcing her to wear a fake dick at all times because you're actually gay.

>replicate the straming experience
t. tech illiterate.

>You're not even using some shitty streaming site
It's too troublesome to boot web-browser on my tv each and every time and go through all the ads to stream some show rather than configure torrent client for automatic rss downloads once a season and then just boot up an app on tv.
This way I can watch it however I want. And it's faster than to connect hdmi from pc to the tv.

Attached: pl.jpg (1611x817, 560K)

I used Plex for over a year, streaming media from pc to my ps4, I got rid of it after it started having problems with media it used to be able to play.
I then got a Steam Link and I love using it for media, browsing the internet and playing jrpgs. I have a wireless keyboard, mouse and ps4 pad connected just so it can do everything my pc does. The biggest problem is its made me lazier.

Plex is awful, I'm so glad to be rid of it.

I do though. As long as there's a router between you and the source of the data, you're a streaming nigger, don't matter if the data is on LAN or on the Internet, there's a still an intermediary between you and the data which effectively makes you a streaming piece of nigger shit.
Fuck off and die steaming piece of garbage.

You don't need to try that hard to fit in.

>paying for Plex
Yikes. You guys know it's just a Kodi reskin, right?

Attached: 1557898507858.jpg (400x239, 28K)

>t streaming nigger

>paying
It's free for the most part.

Who are you quoting?

Attached: beb8ccd73ade1e3d651485d9c34a04df3126b38b0b7ce7a17a440785b962831b.gif (700x704, 295K)

I have, for decades, just mounted my fileserver to my main PC and living room PC. Then I can watch whatever I want were ever I want and I don't have to fuck with silly things like Plex.

Just use Steam Link and a wireless trackball or controller you idiot.

>just buy stuff, bro
Rather not. I'm good.

You cannot buy it normally, just download it.

not enough when literal cp shows up in duckduckgo

Not enough bandwith for a high quality streaming.
Plex it is.

>It's quite similar since Plex and others just send you an 8 bit h264 stream
It completely depends on what the capabilities of your playback device are. My HTPC just plays all files natively, but the Roku in the guest bedroom will have to have any 10-bit sources transcoded for them to play.

Who said anything about buying a Plex pass?

I use Kodi with the database on a central server. Whatever the open source version of Emby in called is also acceptable. Plex is proprietary dog-shit

Plex - it just works. Both in the house and remotely. I run Plex from Freenas along with Transmission.

My roku TV actually supports VP9 and HEVC directly. The only problem is the subtitle options are complete unreadable shit and whoever decided on them deserves to be fucking shot. It literally can't even do 1988 style yellowsubs because only white text is allowed to have a dark outline. Somehow they even fuck that up and I've resorted to magenta text with a dropshadow if I just want to have something functional without transcoding.

I have a dedicated computer set up for a network share. when I torrent something, it is saved directly to the network share, so I don't need to copy shit over after. If i am on my pc i just play the files directly with mpc-hc, if i am laying in bed and want to watch something on my phone, I use VLC to play the files directly from the network share. IF i want to watch something on the big screen in the living room I use VLC on xbox and play the files directly from the network share. I do not use any real time encoding bullshit.

Kodi playback engine is complete bullshit
(and library too)
Plex use ancient version of MPV
and only god solution is ...

Again; I've got maybe 4.2TB of music/movies/shows. When I started ripping my content about 7 yrs ago it was just my own personal dvd and music collection. Then when I got married I added my Wife's cd collection and the few dvds she had. Now I'd say half of it came from physical media we own and the other half came from torrents. Needless to say this is backed up, keep 3 copies of it. Plus we still have the discs themselves.

I'm an adult, I don't watch anime

How about your wife's boyfriend's collection?

Configure kodi to use an external player.

For whatever reason my Plex server install on Ubuntu Server cannot read anything on my mdadm array despite being able to select the directory through the web UI. Emby works just fine so I'm using it for the time being, albeit the experience isn't the greatest.

change the mount point

>download plex on ps4
>start the app
>PLS LOG IN
>mfw I have to login to stream local files on my network share over wifi
>uninstalled

Attached: 00000000000000003.jpg (450x450, 38K)

Just use CloudPlayer.

10bit HEVC is direct-playable on most devices but ass/ssa subtitles makes problem

you can install plex on your computer you know

>what is security

Sonarr/Radarr/Sickbeard and get a chromecast. The Pi could be the server, it just might be a little sluggish.

>inb4 autistic screeching over the easiest device ever made

I have plex server installed on main pc and plex player on second pc which act as htpc and everything is played directly without transcoding.

now I’m experimenting with emby since it have much better playback mechanism. on emby you can update mpv to latest version or use mpc-hc + madvr for hdr videos

is subsonic a decent alternative?

None of those work well with anime because of the tvdb's autism.

Plex defaults to direct play. I.E. no transcoding. 99% of media torrent should work right off the bat with this.

It can read them just fine and I don't expect proper rendering of those. Even though most devices could probably handle it by now.
What I mean is it's incapable of functional, readable plain options even for basic srt stuff. It's biased towards black box closed captions. Which is completely insane and lazy because it's a system-wide setting that everything uses.

anime nerds are obsessed with opus VP9 garbage so probably more transcoding than normal users

>I do though. As long as there's a router between you and the source of the data, you're a streaming nigger, don't matter if the data is on LAN or on the Internet, there's a still an intermediary between you and the data which effectively makes you a streaming piece of nigger shit.
Since you want to play smartass let me just point out some mistakes you made. You do not need a "router" for a network connection and therefore not for streaming, a simple switch, a hub or even a direct connection to another device is sufficient.
>Unless you're reading bytes of data directly off of your HDD/SSD that are plugged in to your motherboard, you're streaming [...]
A storage device doesn't have to be plugged in the motherboard, if you mean indirectly you should be more precise in the future.

Install the hamma tv plug in for plex to get anime names correct. i have 0 problems running from a NAS to a Nvidia shield for the plex server.

You're literally retarded. No one in the anime scene uses VP9, it's H.264 10 bit or HEVC. And you're much more likely to see AAC, Vorbis, or FLAC than Opus.

Here is hoe I do it: You run a transmission server and Kodi on the pi. Attach HDD to pi. Attach Pi to TV. You can torrent using the web interface of Transmission. Now you can monitor, start/stop and add torrents from anywhere though the web interface. OSMC has these packages installed by default. Of course this not a full fledged transcoding media server, just a media center.

I don't know I don't watch that gay shit, that's just all the posters in those dumb threads whenever they pop up here. H264 and HEVC are vastly superior

Using Jellyfin, for free transcoding to my RPi which is pluged in to my livingroom TV. All my content is in h265. Thats why. For Anime you'd need a plugin.

Getting a seedbox/plex server with these dudes. am eurofag so streaming speeds should be fine. get a linux virt on a machine in a datacentre for almost nothing in euros a month.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 30K)

Lmao at those prices it's not really worth it. Ffs an old laptop with a couple external hard drives would be better than what they offer.

A plex/home server is on my to-do list, but i don't know what approach to take between building my own PC or get something like a synology and have it all just be plug and play.

The NAS's themselves seem to be really bad at transcoding. 4K in h264 and 5 is going to set you back $500+ I just did the cheap SBC nas(Mine is an OdroidUX4 HC2) + Nvidia shield for the transcoding and holding the plex server on. It don't look pretty, but it works. It has transcoded 4k to a firestick without any fuss at one point. Plus the shield has many other uses that can be used alongside the Plex server.

Will a ryzen 2600 be good enough for 4k h264/h265 transcoding for maybe like 4 streams? I am planning on making an emulators/plex machine so am rx580 or some novidya card will be in the build also in case that can help with transcoding

Should be okay for it. But i do not think it would take anything else using the CPU while doing 4 at once. The GPU can help but i cannot remember if they have taken HW transcoding off the plex pass or not.

Yeah, I have an older version of Emby which I use for all my videos, anime included. I've been meaning to switch to Jellyfin, but when I tried to do that in a VM with my copied Emby library a bunch of shit broke and it wasn't really seamless at all. I've been too lazy to set everything up from the ground up again.

>implying my videos aren't actually played directly from a network mount with no alteration from the media server application
You're just a pleb who doesn't know how to configure things properly.