Is it possible to learn to type without looking after years of wrong habits?

Is it possible to learn to type without looking after years of wrong habits? I'm 19 and since I was young I have learned to write only by looking at the keyboard, I spend a lot of time on the PC and I'd like to learn to type without looking. Is it possible to completely change my habits?

Attached: IMG_20190623_181304.jpg (1024x681, 139K)

Yes

Yep. You just have to practice everyday. Find a website that teaches you to touch type correctly and spend 10 minutes everyday practicing. It will be difficult at first but after a while it will become natural. You just need to keep practicing.

Download a virtual piano and practice daily, sure helped me silly as it sounds

I feel like I sort of naturally developed typing without looking. Maybe if you try to set up challenges for yourself and write wholesome sentences to other anons you can improve your typing skills.

I corrected my typing at age 25 to 100% proper fingering after having spent all of my life before then using horrible habits that I got from gaming
now I can type 100-150 wpm on typeracer with correct fingering
my biggest breakthrough was to use the pic related fingering style. the top one is the "alternative" style where your hands naturally cross to the left and right and b is shared instead of making your left hand awkwardly cross under itself
I can type more about it if you want info

Attached: fixed.png (1058x709, 147K)

Yes, I'm interested

well first off my original typing method was absolutely horrible, it was developed without any real practice and was just something I got used to doing from using a computer from a young age. I roughly typed with mostly three fingers on my left hand and one or two on my right hand. when I realized it was bad for my hands I decided I wanted to get better at it and use proper form for ergonomics. I spend a lot of time researching different keyboard layouts and decided against it due to a lack of real evidence that they were better and since you end up needing to use qwerty all the time anyways.
in my research I found a guy who recommended the top style of that pic, which immediately clicked with me because I always found the style of the left hand reaching under your own fingers extremely awkward. when you naturally put your hands on your keyboard your hands naturally go to the left and right respectively, and it's really unnatural to have your left hand tilted to the right the way your right hand does. with that style your hands naturally line up with the keys and you never have to cross under your own fingers. but you have to "share" the b key between fingers which for me mostly means the left hand gets it.
anyways, after finding that style I started forcing myself to use it. I very carefully started typing everything and making sure I used exactly that fingering style for everything. if I messed up I made sure to type it again with correct fingering. it was very slow at first, but after about 2 weeks I was slowly getting there. after two months I hit my old typing speed, and since then I've been improving steadily and constantly.
people in person are regularly amazed at how fast I type and my error rate is very low. on typeracer my average is ~130 wpm with no refreshes and my peak is around 150 if I get lucky.
for my keyboard I use a leopold fc980c but it actually doesn't matter much. also I spent a lot of time researching proper ergonomics etc

Learn Dvorak, print out a qwerty-dvorak mapping and that will force you to touch type. Alternatives are Colemak and Programmers Dvorak which I recently picked up at the ripe age of 29. Learning will take you a month of pain, but pays dividends for life

t. Filthy boomer

I think it's interesting but I don't think it will be good for me because I also write in Italian and it would be uncomfortable for me. Furthermore, most of the keyboards are qwerty.

Go to a second hand or cheap electronic store.
Buy the cheapest full size keyboard that you can realisticly use.
Then buy spraypaint at the hardware store.
spraypaint the keyboard
Boom! There you have a keyboard forcing you to touch type. Worked for my friend who didnt want to buy a blank keyboard like me!

play video games or just force it

>most keyboards are qwerty
that only matters if you're looking at it which you're trying to stop doing

>not using or have used Mavis Beacon to learn how to type like a boss
Never gonna make it.

Attached: 518NXPV7ZAL.jpg (395x500, 47K)

honestly its just down to practice. either do what suggests, or just spend a lot of time here arguing with people on other boards. its what I did.

that's exactly what i did, seriously, all you have to do is practice

Ho usato la tastiera dvorak con layout da programmatore per un breve periodo, ma non รจ pratica per via della mancanza degli accenti.
O la usi solo per programmare o lascia perdere

When I first got a Powerbook G4 with OS X I learned how to use the whole thing blind, I wore a blindfold and used the screen reader and learned all the shortcuts and so on. My wife thought it was silly, but I was like "What if I get struck blind, at least I'll still be able to use the computer!"

Yes. I used to type with just my index fingers without looking, made lots of mistakes on keyboards other than mine and could only reach 80wpm. Started practicing touch typing online, was complete shit at first, but stuck with it. 7 months since now I'm hitting 110wpm, hope to get faster so I practice around 15 mins a day.
Just need to stick to it OP, like anything in life really, result aren't immediate but you will eventually get them.

>tfw can't get past 60 WPM, no matter how much i try

Attached: 270.jpg (384x437, 91K)

Dvorak is a meme. It will definitely correct his habit of looking at his keyboard. I've been using it for a year and a half, and it's just not worth it. Sure it's nice for people to not use my laptop(am a university student), but it's hard to use QWERTY for medium burst, short sentences are fine, essays are fine, but a paragraph in QWERTY is just awful.

Yes, just go play an MMO for a few months

I prefer QWERTY for several reasons.
Dvorak isn't good for Italian.
I have to use other PCs (for example those of the university where I can't replace the keyboard or change the layout) and in general I prefer something standard that I can find on all PCs

Go pirate a copy of Mavis Beacon teaches typing and go through that. I did it as a kid it can't be hard.

I have installed Typing Master 10, I hope it can be useful. I'll try that too

If you have a first-gen VR headset and Virtual Desktop installed, unironically use the dashboard overlay and use your headset as your main monitor from now on.

>you will never be a secretary or a data entry person making minimum wage
it's impossible for a programmer to need more than 5wpm, typing speed is for women

i can type over 100+ wpm without looking but can't remember how the fuck i learned
must have been aol chatrooms

my homie, double recommend

also trying to type shit while gaming, eg in team fights in dota or wc3 or cs.

Just keep typing. Use typing software if you have to. I typed a lot of story ideas while growing up and it eventually became muscle memory even though I don't use the home row key setup.

thinking speed > typing speed