Share Jow Forums related books that you've recently read

Why should I read it?

Attached: passionateprogrammer.jpg (500x500, 64K)

Other urls found in this thread:

inf.ethz.ch/personal/wirth/CompilerConstruction/index.html
elementsofprogramming.com/
elementsofprogramming.com/eop_coloredlinks.pdf
oldlinux.org/download/ECLK-5.0-WithCover.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Let Jow Forums hate me.

Attached: 51i2qXOz7WL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (373x500, 33K)

This book is amazing, brings forth the importance of the mathematical approach to programming, as any other approach is doomed to fail.

Attached: iridium_s8EdnEQEat.png (609x912, 560K)

Attached: index.jpg (748x1069, 159K)

this was the worst book I've ever read
previously worst was also published by PacktPub, I don't think this is a coincidence

Attached: download.jpg (474x584, 56K)

ITT: share books you intend to read but never will finish

Pretty much everything from Packt is trash. Same with Apress. Pragmatic and Manning are the best, with occasional goodness from O'Reilly.

I wish girls looked like that irl

Wirth's Compiler Construction
quick, clear, great, openly available
inf.ethz.ch/personal/wirth/CompilerConstruction/index.html

Attached: wirth.png (823x424, 43K)

search results for that one are flooded with "prepare yourself for coding interviews by learning these 500 examples by heart" spam books, written by Towelhead, Bugman et al

elementsofprogramming.com/
and
elementsofprogramming.com/eop_coloredlinks.pdf

neat, thanks.
The associative property on page 3 is a nice touch to set the playing field.

Right? Haha. Stepanov is the creator of the standard template (generics) library for C++, really well thought out piece of code. Wish more people made orthogonal and compartmented APIs like that.

not a book, but linux 0.01 source code
there is also commented version of 0.12 so I'll continue with that
oldlinux.org/download/ECLK-5.0-WithCover.pdf

>Zhao Jiong
Shoo shoo

UML distilled.

maybe if you were nicer to them they wouldn't hide from you

Attached: cs.png (461x602, 327K)

is this any good?

>Manning
They turn out good stuff most of the time
>Pragmatic
The library is 70% trash, but when you get a winner, it's really great.

Prentice Hall, O'Reilly, and Addison Wesley are still gold standard.

>linux 0.01 source code
That would be MINIX if you knew the history of linux.

Seems to have very good reviews. I'll add it to my reading list.

Any good books for someone just starting to program? I feel like all meta discussion is either very advanced or really below what I want to learn about

it's overrated, but not bad
the book is convoluted, it's for uni course that seems like few topics merged into one
but if it's your it's your first into to them then go for it
>1 summary of covered topics
>2 data types and binary manipulation
had few factual mistakes. one of the mistakes I recall was that author claimed to way to check overflow of operation in C is to make the operation and then do some comparisons with result, despite few pages back established that this is UB and result can't be used.
>3rd chapter - assembly
this was really just **catalog** of how things in C correspond to assembly, various instructions and registers
one of the things I recall learning was LEA instruction.
>4 something with HCL, I've skipped this, it was weird and I did not care
>5 optimizing program performance
>6 memory hierarchy
Book described out of order execution and pipelining of modern CPUs, and memory hierarchy and caching. Those two chapters are presented as two key chapters of the book and indeed teach an important topic.
It was a good intro to them indeed.
I have to criticize that they speak a lot about profiling and measuring, but provide zero ways to actually measure nor any methodology. There was no mention of perf or dtrace, they just came up with magical numbers without telling how they obtained them.
After this the book started to jump into another topics and became convoluted. Basically after this it's your every unix OS and programming environment overview book.
>7 linking
object files, linking, relocation. pretty good
>8th - exceptional control flow
misleading chapter name. it talks about OS primitives - what's program, process, scheduing, IPC, signals
>9 virtual memory
concept, memory management. fork syscall is pretty important here, but don't remember how deeply they covered it
>10 IPC
>11 network programming
beej's guide is better than this chapter
>12 concurrent programming
surely this has to be good when C is so great in concurrent programming

The fact that C has deadlock support should eliminate it immediately from any design implementation, ever.
Fite me faggot, it's impossible in Haskell thanks to STM.

Best books/resources for learning assembly? I've only really worked with higher level languages, want to start from the bottom and work my way up. Finished nand2tetris, and am working through some mediocre book on mips assembly.

I have nand2tetris on my todo list. How is it?

I didn't know squat about anything hardware related, being self-taught for application dev job. The book does a really good job giving an overview of the essence of how a computer works. If you already know that stuff though it probably won't be of interest to you thought, otherwise would recommend.