Is anyone unironically running a Linux From Scratch build as their daily driver?

Is anyone unironically running a Linux From Scratch build as their daily driver?

Attached: lfs.png (718x479, 58K)

Holy shit no. I use arch btw

arch lmao never admit that publicly

lurk more

lfs is for highschool science projects

It's the worst idea ever, you'd have to check for package updates everyday by going to the website/repository of that package, configure it and compile it. You'd be your own maintaining team, testing team and security team.

If you want to compile your software, take a look at Gentoo's portage, or at *BSD's ports system.

Wording it this way makes it sound like it's something else. LFS is just a book. The book teaches you the original way of how to install Linux from the ground up via original source code before these distros starting steering shit away from it's purest form.

My everyday desktop I built following that book and it was a great learning experience.

>you'd have to check for package updates everyday by going to the website/repository of that package
What are RSS feeds

>you'd have to check for package updates everyday by going to the website/repository of that package
What is scriptijng

A typical Linux installation contains 600+ packages, how many of those packages use RSS? How many of those use similar websites/repositories so that you can use a script that parses their websites accurately?
If it was this easy, distributions wouldn't need maintainers, they would've hired a single person that creates a script and that's it.

i suppose that's the trade off isn't it? you can use a distro that heavily modifies original source code and distributes it as precompiled binaries that work on the lowest common architecture denominator or you can build something unaltered and optimized for your hardware but requires you to be aware of required security updates.

trust in yourself or trust someone else.

Or, you can Gentoo or *BSD, since both of them allow you to compile your own stuff (including the OS itself).

Or you could look into a close-to-upstream distro's build system and replicate the packages you need with all their configurations and some optimization compiler flags, then you just have your server periodically pull updates from the original distro.

Nah, I'm using Gentoo. Anyway - generally speaking, you'll want your daily driver to be production-ready. Not impossible to achieve with LFS most of the time, but you'll probably want to implement a solid backup strategy for times when things just don't work out that well.

Gay

LFS is not meant to be a daily driver

Nah, I use Arch.

I use

fag

Hannah Montana Linux doesn't have this problem.

Ask an Arch user if he's ever installed LFS and watch him fall into an existential crisis

Arch user here. I have installed LFS. It's a massive fucking waste of time and unusable as a daily driver.

Why would i update?

lfs is just gentoo with extra steps
prove me wrong

lfs is just with extra steps
prove me wrong

No. I use Pop!_OS

Yes there seems to be a few autists on the lfs/blfs dev list that use it as daily driver. I have it installed on my home server and for updates you can just check the changelog on the lfs/blfs dev books and if you're really paranoid just check the Debian/fedora/whatever distro security advisory and update when there is a new package fixing a remote CVE. I made build scripts for all the packages I use so mostly Ijust have to update the version on the script and compile the new package. For browser just use a binary from cuckfox or Google and run a cron script that updates daily. I would probably use it as a daily driver if windows didn't exist

no i prefer arch linux (i know i prefer arch linux because i use arch linux, in case you were wondering)

Yeah I use arch.

Do you not have any software engineering skills? You could make a data scraper that will check for updates. Then again, all these sys admins couldn't code or implement shit from CS research papers if their life depended on it. I'm seriously considering LFS (or using Crux as a foundation) to minimize the attack surface of your OS.

I use LFS.

I did. Used it for two years. Learned a lot. Then I got impatient and switched to Slackware.

>If it was this easy, distributions wouldn't need maintainers, they would've hired a single person that creates a script and that's it.
That's what derivative distros do...

You need to understand:
People here are 99.9% awkward neckbeards but under the hood they're still normalfags, who simply imitate the contrarian opinions and have acquired tastes like Linux. They don't use it because of some special reasoning.

People with high individuality come here only to make angry posts or to ask a question and to leave, not to post their desktops with animes.

TL;DR This place is full of morons, don't expect them to use LFS.

btw OpenBSD shills are shooting themselves into both feet and the other hand by posting here.