I'm sorry Jow Forums, freedom lovers, and all other privacy advocates...

I'm sorry Jow Forums, freedom lovers, and all other privacy advocates. I'm locked out of the content and community that I need to access until I make a discord account. They're just such a prevalent chat service. Stallman forgive me for I have been led astray out of necessity.

Attached: discord-logo.jpg?w=1000&h=563&crop=1.jpg (1000x563, 35K)

Test

I've been using browser discord for years now and I hate it. If only a free, hostable alternative existed with feature parity I would shill it to no end.

Riot/Matrix is getting there

>can literally get banned for saying nigger
i wish skype didn't die

That sounds terrible. I don't frequent big rooms though.

run it through a free client such as pidgin. The major problem is client-side nonfree. server side nonfree is a lesser evil.

no one other than freetards use it. I would love to use riot but I can't get my friends to use it too.

You don't need to access any botnet services. Don't let people pressure you into doing something you don't want, you will regret it, trust me. I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with using a chat service as long as the client is free software, but discord bans third party clients, so I can't recommend any of those at this time. But they do exist and they do reduce the amount of botnet and electron bloat you have to run on your computer.

Riot.im

This. Matrix + bridges.
You can bridge it with IRC, Discord and other services.

You don't need to get them to use it, you can just bridge with their discord.

Sounds interesting. I'm surprised there's even a mobile version up. It looks like they have names, avatars, media preview, and IRC like interface so that's already great. Does it have voice? discord's is almost always terrible.

Yes, it does.
I do agree, Discord's servers seem to have issues more often than not.

Ripcord?

Ripcord looks nice but is unfortunately closed source

lol

Attached: file.png (146x104, 4K)

Riot uses Jitsi Meet for voice, which kinda works, but is Skype-style (potentially group) calls. If you want voice rooms, you're best off with Mumble (potentially integrating mumble-web as a Riot widget).

Riot's audio quality is better than discord. WAYYY better. Video is alright too but not ass good, still p nice

>free
>hostable

didn't Matrix have a massive data breach like a month ago

>They're just such a prevalent chat service.

The only service they provide is user information sales.

Attached: discord.png (721x719, 180K)

This is only for rooms. It's really shitty in my opinion but the Matrix Foundation is aware of it and a plan to completely redo voice is on the way

Yes and no. Someone got into the production infrastructure but no personal data was actually compromised according to the investigation and the explanation of the person who did it. They did manually reset everyone's authentication tokens on the riot.im and matrix.im servers and revoked the signing keys for the mobile apps as a precaution though