Machine Learning Thread

Tell me user, are you reading or programming something releated to Machine Learning?

Attached: anime girl deep learning.png (455x576, 306K)

yes, trying to get a ML job and failing. nobody wants junior hires I guess.

I actually wanna get into it because next year is my final year at the university and I need to decide on a project.
What's a "meme" in AI/ML and what should I avoid like a plague?

Attached: 1536547733598.jpg (625x415, 66K)

Thats sad, where are looking for and what are your knowledges?

I'm in canada with a masters in statistics, been unemployed about a year. willing to move anywhere in the world.

Maybe try to get a summer internship and work up from there? I just got one even though I have no experience with ML and very little with python.

I’m doing some undergraduate research and have a job lined up to do nlp for a local firm after graduation. I don’t know shit about stats and just took an undergrad course in deep learning and some fastai.

I've been trying to get them but nobody wants to hire me if I'm not enrolled and going back to school. are you in america? from what I can tell canada has it a lot worse for junior hires because our companies hire abroad really easily.

You should try some research in a college or something, I think there are always place for someone new and more you with a mastery in statistics

AI itself is a meme, most of the time when somebody is trying to sell you some it's just a bunch of if..else and some linear regression thrown in.

If you want a project you could fit a RNN on the stock market, everybody does image classification these days instead.

Ah then it's a bit harder, maybe try to do 1/2 solo projects in the field, put them on your github and add them to your cv? Otherwise yeah, it's quite hard to get a job, especially in a field like ml if you don't have a degree and aren't enrolled. I study in the uk tho so I don't know how it's in the usa.

I have a msc in stats and bsc with a 4.0 from uoft, and my dissertation and all that, but in canada I just haven't had any luck getting hired. most data science jobs here are either in universities or in banks and neither has been interested in me.

Maybe try to apply to jobs overseas? I had an interview at Amex in the uk and there were many people invited directly from other countries, they even pay your plane ticket and stuff.

yea that's what I've been trying these last few weeks, both applying in america and elsewhere in the world. I've more or less realized I can't get anything in canada. I can speak and read b1 level chinese which helps in some areas but I'm far from fluent. I've had the most luck with america so far in getting replies. but I'm still unemployed.

Keep trying brother, once you nail that first job it gets much easier.

Have you tried approaching local companies with a portfolio? I know lots of smaller companies would like data science but don’t have the knowledge to know what they need or what you can do for them.

yea I'm in toronto which is supposedly a data science haven but in reality everybody wants several years of experience. I've been sending emails to basically every firm and I've had many interviews. the overall message I've gotten is "we love you but go get an internship or two and come back in a year." at the same time all the internships here explicitly say you need to be enrolled and going back to school, which is something I may have to do but I've missed all the application deadlines by more than half a year at this point. I should mention that I have great grades and research experience but no internships, which has been a huge problem for all the companies here.

How about places which aren’t advertising for data scientists? Go to a career fair and ask the companies if they are looking for people with your skills.

I've tried that too, and also have been going to alumni meetings but have so far not had any offers at all.

based

Deep learning book is nicu.

I have in my to read list the book "Hands-On Machine Learning with Scikit-Learn and TensorFlow" and "Deep Learning" by Ian Goodfellow
Are good books? What books or courses you recommend?

100 page ml book, introduction to statistical learning, Andrew Ng’s classes.

I was thinking in taking Andrew Ng's courses, I'll watch them then if you say that are usefull

>AI itself is a meme
oh boy...