/pcbg/ - PC Building General

ATTENTION: The Navi RX 5700XT and RX 5700 will launch alongside Ryzen 3000 series CPUs with PCIe 4.0 on 7/7/2019. Nvidia is releasing a SUPER series with slightly increased specs over the original 20 series. More info on the SUPER series possible on 7/2.

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g [Open]

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>i7 8700 or 9700K - Extreme solution for absolute max FPS
>R7 2700/X - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard
>RTX 2060 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
1440p
>RTX 2060 - standard
>RTX 2080 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 - standard
>RTX 2080Ti - better fit for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING: imgur.com/a/RTbKAxD
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's high refresh with adaptive sync
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Previous:

Attached: 1561241628357.jpg (1928x2318, 1.32M)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/product/gWx9TW/lian-li-pc-t60a-atx-test-bench-case-pc-t60a
pcpartpicker.com/list/cd6Gr6
reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/7na5ws/amd_is_unlikely_to_devote_any_valuable/
steamcommunity.com/app/20900/discussions/0/1474222595292438850/
straitstimes.com/world/united-states/trump-blacklists-more-china-tech-companies-days-before-meeting-xi
newegg.com/p/17Z-0061-00018
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Best high airflow cases for Zen 2, at any price?

pcpartpicker.com/product/gWx9TW/lian-li-pc-t60a-atx-test-bench-case-pc-t60a

Will a 2600X and RTX 2060 do me for 1440p @ 144Hz? For simple games.

Well I told you, I tried it in siege, and resident evil 2 and neither of those have utilization issues no crashes, no bugs no nothing.

Then other games like witcher 1 and quantum break don't utilize the GPU at all and sit in like 60-70fps territory as if I had radeon chill on or something.(I don't)

> It's clearly a software issue if the newer games are running fine.
But cummon you telling me AMD can't manage their drivers to the point where vega 64 is struggling to get 144fps in witcher 1?!

Fractal Meshify cases
Get a Vega 56 as the 8GB of VRAM means it's more futureproof.

>3200CL16 is ideal
>Slow shit speed and latency is ideal

Attached: 1558300475777.jpg (326x294, 18K)

2600 or 2600X?
Same for any non-X vs X, for that matter.

>vega 64
>can't get stable framerate
THIS IS DRIVING ME MAD, WTF AMD! WHY THE FUCK ISN'T THE GPU FIRST DELIVERING FPS AND THEN TAKING A BRAKE.
NOT THE OTHER FUCKING WAY AROUND!

Attached: witcher 1, didnt exceed 84 fps.jpg (1767x1011, 556K)

If you're overclocking, 3600 and an aftermarket cooler.
If you're not, 3600X.

Ok Jow Forums what am I doing wrong?

pcpartpicker.com/list/cd6Gr6

I am looking for the following :
1080p gaming, high settings @60fps
Budget 12,000 MEX (600 dollars) .

I will be reusing my case and monitor as well as a 1TB WD 7200 hard disk for extra storage.

Why the fuck doesn't it utilize it properly!

Attached: witcher 1, forced p7state.jpg (1767x997, 561K)

The AMD shills here only tell you to buy AMD, they're not gonna help you actually get it running well.

perf/cost is ideal

I am going to build a SFF gaming PC in DAN Case A4-SFX and there's nothing you can do about it.

Attached: dio ps1.png (378x224, 28K)

reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/7na5ws/amd_is_unlikely_to_devote_any_valuable/

Attached: 15613300020950.png (2047x1037, 1.58M)

How does this look? I am not really sure what PSU to get, I feel like there were better deals when I was looking a few months ago. And while I don't think I need 32GB of RAM, I do know that I need more than 16, so 32 is just the next logical step. The CPU I will probably wait to get a 3600X since they are similarly priced. I wasn't sure which 2070 to get, just that I avoid the Gigabyte trap.

Attached: build4.jpg (823x485, 77K)

WHY THE FUCK do I find out about this only AFTER I bought a vega 64?!
IF I knew this shit before hand I would have laughed at them for being incompentent fucks who can't make old games run well because of PURELY SHIT DRIVERS. FUCK
even 970 delivered wonderful performance on all of them.
Now my brand new GPU can't fucking deliver stable framerates on games that aren't demanding at all.
FUCKING HELL WAKE ME UP! WTF did I buy this for

steamcommunity.com/app/20900/discussions/0/1474222595292438850/

evga psu are good. i would get a fully modular one though

I used a 970 nvidia card and got stable 144fps on the exact same pc.
Whats your point?

If you're only getting one SSD, replace your ADATA SU800 with a Crucial P1 NVMe. Also get a better case, any ATX size from Fractal Design that isn't the Focus G should do (something like Define C or Meshify).

meant for

DELET

Attached: 1485622549321.jpg (320x235, 12K)

No seriously I'm fucking mad, 70-80% of games I play are old titles, if AMD literally says
>fuck DX9 games and anything that touches it, we only suppport games made up to 2 years go
then it's a collosal waste of my money.
I really, REALLY wish I knew about this shit like 2 weeks ago, would save me lot of money and hassle.
I mean FUCK I was hoping its a bug to fix and move on but no apparently AMD just dont give the slightest fuck to get things running, people on linux apparently got working drivers for it

not sure which to get

used 8700k set or new 3600X

t. 1st gen i7

Hello Darkness, my old friend

Attached: pc.jpg (761x532, 103K)

bye amd

straitstimes.com/world/united-states/trump-blacklists-more-china-tech-companies-days-before-meeting-xi

Why not 9700k? Prices should be pretty similar.

Especially when the 9th gen price cut comes in.

Also, wait for reviews on the 3600x before deciding.

>ask Jow Forums about good price/performance cpu
>everyone tells me to buy ryzen
>enter CPU-Z thread
>intel i5's and i7's everywhere
>only a handfull ryzen owners

Why are you fuckers like this?!

Attached: 2cac71a0ae14fe345801e20202b379de-imagepng.png (185x273, 88K)

>Crucial P1 NVMe
not sure if I want to switch to m.2. If something happens with my motherboard or I need to transfer data from that SSD, I'm fucked because I have nothing I could connect it to and I don't know anybody with a pc that has those connectors. Is there something I'm missing or is that correct?

>start checking what old games AMD didnt even bother to support
>can't even play generals
WTF WTF WTF AMD! FUUUUUUUUUCK HOW HARD IS IT TO GET THIS SHIT WORKING YOU PIECE OF SHIT

Attached: generals zero hour.jpg (475x167, 22K)

Almost every modern motherboard has at least one M.2 connector. If your mobo breaks and you can't connect it to anything, get a cheap M.2 drive enclosure. The reason why I told you to switch is because having a SATA SSD be your system drive with write speeds that degrade quickly is not a good idea.

i5-2500k (stock)
8GB RAM
GTX 970

Should I replace everything, or just RAM and CPU? Running 2560x1080 and tempted to go 2070

>I'm fucked because I have nothing I could connect it to and I don't know anybody with a pc that has those connectors.
It's just PCIe in a slightly different interface, PCIe adapter cards are dirt cheap.

newegg.com/p/17Z-0061-00018

Can't argue with that, thanks user.

Buy a Vega 56 because it's good value.

>brand loyalty
Intel may be BTFO for the foreseeable future but Nvidia certainly isn't. Are you sure you're not the shill?

>HBM2
>poor thermals
>Polaris
>bad drivers
YUCK

>WHY THE FUCK do I find out about this only AFTER I bought a vega 64?!
Because like a dumbass you didn't research independent results before buying.

what is the patrician standard for today's PC setup.
all my parts are 4+ years old and I'm itching for an upgrade already.

I researched plenty, on performance and shit like that. Yet for some reason this issue blindsided me hard.

FUCK OFF, until they add support for DX9 games you can't recommend AMD for gaming.
Fucking hell.
Literally told people "eh these games are too old, we wont waste valuable resources on it"

If you know how to use the tools in your picrel then you can just inject the ucode into the bios yourself.

What's a good Air cooler on AM4? Being quiet is the most important feature I'm looking for. And rather cheap, so no Noctua. I have a Cooler master Hyper 212 rocking my i5 2500k, and could reuse it with an AM4 upgrade kit, but it would cost 12 bucks including delivery, so I'd rather add another 15 or 20 bucks and go with a new cooler directly compatible with AM4

Attached: D78jpnAVUAAUTBi.jpg orig.jpg (1000x1000, 94K)

Wraith Spire.

w-well, I guess free can't be beaten. But I bet they'll box the 3700X with the Wraith Stealth, and I'm not sure this little shit will be quiet, nor will it allow for a bit of overclocking

They're boxing it with the Spire, the only 3rd gen Ryzen with Stealth is the 3600.

Attached: hmmmm.jpg (875x277, 96K)

How's this for a budget build? All used parts.
i5-2500
H61 gigabyte motherboard
2x4gb ddr3 ram
Gtx 560 Ti or Radeon HD 7770

Also how to pick a correct wattage psu for this build?

Should I get the Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8) or Trident Z variant?

Are ASrock and Gigabyte motherboards really that bad?

Not really, but in general it's ASUS, MSI or bust.

How much of a difference in performance does having CL14 or b-die ram have compared to CL16? Is it worth the price difference?

3000Mhz by the way

what is the name of the concept of a cpu auto overclocking when a mobo has available headroom?

I want to do a mini-ITX build. I will never use more than one PCIe slot or more than two storage drives.
I'm trying to find a case I like, but it seems there are hardly any compared to other form factors.
Are there any cool, secret cases out there instead of just the same old shit that shows up on newegg? Preferably something with a window.
>inb4 zoomer

Attached: fuck-off-lahey.png (569x575, 545K)

Shit. Just save up money for a 2600 + 570, nigga.

3200 cl16 is slow as shit for ryzen. Even amd says you should buy a 3733 ram

based retard

What's her name, /pcbg/? The one you keep coming back to

Attached: Screenshot_2019-06-23-19-42-04-266_org.mozilla.firefox_1_1.png (1080x1247, 591K)

If I am spending $200 on a mobo for 3700x should I buy a top end x470 or a low end x570?

Looking for a 500$ CPU for gaming and coding. What's the best one? I hear i9 9900k is good for overclocking but ryzen is always circlejerked.

>Even amd says you should buy a 3733 ram

Cheapest decent 3733mhz CL17 kit is $170 on newegg.

4000mhz CL17 will run you $250+

Needing a good set of speakers (under $50) and a headset (under $100). Don't have a preference when it comes to wireless/wired or USB.

Maybe you can get a be quiet fan and slap it into that cooler but i don't know if you can do that or get the scythe mugen 5 rev.b, that's like the price/performance air cooler before going into noctua/be quiet kind of money.

what do you need?
do you need peripherals with pcie 4.0? go low end x570
do you need a higher OC? go high end x470

Should i mention in the RMA form that the packaging was kinda fucked up? The mainboard was basically just wrapped in bubbly paper iirc, i was kinda surprised to see it being thrown raw into there

Could this actually cause a short circuit and trash the whole thing?

>thinking about buying rog strix x470-i
>check out x570-i
>"Comprehensive cooling design: VRM and PCH heatsinks with miniature fans"
>"miniature fans"
This is so fucking stupid. Why would anybody do this?

Attached: reigen sketch.jpg (512x288, 38K)

X570 chipset needs active cooling or a MASSIVE heatsink.

So, how do the Ryzen 3ks run on 4xx mobos then?

fine

I can tell you are not a programmer becuase:
>you call programming "coding"
>you play video games
>failing to realize that any computer that is able to run Microshaft Word can be used for very heavy programming
>failing to realize that a gayming PC is overkill for programming and any computer that can play any video games is overkill for programming
>knowing little about what components are optimized for video games: what i mean by this is that at 1080p and above there is very little difference between an i5 and a i9 becuase video games are not multicore optimized and are more dependent on single core preformance
>considering intcel when in two weeks AMD is releasing new GPUs and CPUs that work on 7nm
>NO CONSUMER NEEDS A 500 DOLLAR CPU. It is basicly only for workstations used at companies. I work as a E.E. Ph.D alongside with other engineers who do HUGE mathematical computations we have 6700k CPUs at a top 20 university
Stop being a larp nigger and listen. Get and i5 (or AMD equivelnt), and get the most expensiove GPU you can afford, get 16GB for RAM, for (((coding))) and an SSD. This PC will be great for gaming, overkill for programming and GREAT for any engineering applications. Any computer that can run word (let alone play games on) is overkill for prorgamming
If you are too stupid choose to your own parts, just use Logical Increments, I still think they make their CPUs overkill for the GPUs but whatever
Any gaming PC is over kill for programming. For programming get 16GB of RAM and SSD and an i5. If you use minimalist Linux you can use an i3 with 8/16GB of ram with an SSD. Logical INcrements also has custom builds for photorgraphy, CAE CAD/CAM, video editing. Also buying a computer for video editing is one big Jewish meme becuase you will not the the next PewDiePie, there are thousands of more interesting people than you.

Also video games are for kids.

Will this guy appear in my room if I buy this gpu

Attached: 1561339019531.jpg (700x587, 61K)

I'm relatively rich. Humor me and pick a $500 cpu.

3900x

is there any word if ryzen 4000 will also work on current mobos?

Have sex

yes but he's misunderstood and just wants to be your friend.

spending 500 dollars does not make you rich. you shows you are careless with your money. i grew up in a very, very weathy family, I did know know this until i was 19. stop being a consumerist.
Also what is your job? I'm interested in what profession you are larping today?

Yes. Zen3 will work with current mobos.

AMD already said they're moving to a new socket in 2021.

So if the 4000 series Ryzen are like the 2000 series Ryzen, and just a small incremental update, then yes, they should work on current motherboards, at least X570 boards, probably X470 too.

But the 5000 series will most likely be a new socket entirely.

Help

Don't fucking mess with me ayymd fan bot.

Attached: 15613150277090.jpg (1500x1004, 317K)

thanks

Attached: wink.gif (202x268, 1.76M)

you think the high end 470s will pbo better than a low end 570?

Zen2+ will, idk about Zen3.

Of course.

The VRMs will be much better on a high end x470 board.

what is generating all of the heat then?

it's the pcie 4.0, which requires active cooling, double the throughput of pcie 3.0.

is the intel 660p m.2 ssd good for the price?

Would any micro atx boards have decent vrm or am I asking too much?

micro ATX can, though it'll be generally less than higher end ATX boards.

ITX is where that goes out the window.

asrock b450m pro 4
msi b450m gaming plus
msi b450m mortar

the chipset not the cpu

The chipset, X570.

Nothing to do with the specific CPU.

It'd need active cooling even if you ran a 2700x in it, though you'd be stupid to do so.

I'm looking to build a small form factor PC and I'm looking for suggestions on cases and motherboards (AMD). I can figure out the rest myself. Price is no object.

Essentially, I'd like to build the smallest possible PC that is still full featured and can hold a full sized GPU. It would probably be good it if the case could fit an appropriate heatsink, but I've been running stock on my Sandy Bridge for 10 years with no issue, so whatever.

actually SFF or just a tiny computer like an ITX?

>fell for the intel 760p meme
fucking hold me bros
how much can I write to this piece of shit daily?
how long will this piece of shit last?
my fucking OS is on it FUCK

ITX would probably be too small, but if there is a full featured mobo that works in a ITX size case which can also handle a full size GPU, I'm not opposed to the idea. The smaller, the better because I'm going for portability, but microATX is fine too.