Are computer science degrees worthless ?...

Are computer science degrees worthless ? , I mean you can learn to programme without attending university and most of the other shit covered in the curriculum is useless

Attached: I+always+imagine+the+guy+asking+the+question+like+an+_c3afbc6a0f86d94215ae44a029aba04c.jpg (326x262, 20K)

They're not worthless, but they are worth a lot less than most universities are charging.
If you're self motivated enough to learn what you need in your field without someone guiding you the whole way and holding your hand through the basics, then definitely don't pay for a degree.
You might find it easier to get an interview if you have a degree, but in the end, you'll get the job if you know your stuff, regardless of whether you went to uni

They are not worthless but a dime a dozen these days. Virtually every application I've seen comes across as this
>CS grad from XYZ land
>Languages: Java, C, Bash, powershell(maybe)
>Databases: MS SQL
>experience 0

wowie can't wait to deal with another dude who basically never has worked on anything outside his on laptop. If you're going through college and on a CS degree do an internship, that usually will sell it better. Though chances are you'll end up doing IT in networking or DevOps as you'll realize its easier and pays virtually the same. Know so many CS people who just went into networking since being physically in a spot outweighs you to coding pajeets in fuckistan

I studied Info Sys and got an internship as a Software Engineer, easier degree but learned the skills you'd get from CS in a real working environment. Basically if you're going to get a degree, only consider it if you will do an internship as well.

What if you're studying for free and can choose any engineering field you want ?

Electrical engineering and work with low level languages and hardware design if you're smart enough for that

Electricy is the chapter i hated most at highschool but i'm intrested in your reasoning ?

stupid frogposter

>Know so many CS people who just went into networking since being physically in a spot outweighs you to coding pajeets in fuckistan
That's what I did. Can't wait to hear from all the people with "a passion for video game design" who stuck it out despite all signs pointing to a complete oversaturation of their job market. Then again I expect my market will be next so I probably shouldn't throw stones.

Same, went into programing got into virtualization/infrastructure. Never looked back, after a few years most my friends who went into CS ended up getting a CCNA and going through with networking or something managing web servers.

Don't give a shit if you call me a slacker, IT just is far easier and secure to many small/medium businesses and often has better benefits if you aren't a spineless fuck and put policies in place

fuckistan coders are useless, most corps are stopping hiring those retards because the quality of the product suffers too much.

Get a degree you lazy fuck.
I blame all those online degree mills.
The pajeets ruined CS.

>fuckistan coders are useless
Yes mostly
> most corps are stopping hiring those retards because the quality of the product suffers too much.
Not from my experience, most still use them hell my company hires them 4 at a time for 3 months each because the cost of hiring 4 of them + 1 good dev is way better than trying to have 3-4 good developers. It's stupidly cheap and the hours we can work them are not bound by any US/EU work shit, we can call them middle of the night and they will work.

It's pennies on the dollar for projects and other shit, if there are some bugs eh, still cheaper to hand it off to the 1 or 2 good devs to fix.

>most corps are stopping hiring those retards because the quality of the product suffers too much.

Most corps still use them because it's easier to pay 12,000k a year for 5 of them then to pay 60k to some CS grad who is a single point of failure to a company. 5 pajeets will probably figure it out for far less cost than 1 dude solely doing the project. Not to mention you pay a flat fee vs healthcare/benefits/retirement/etc.

They suck but they do get the job done, it's up to the business to figure out what works best for them not you

I plan on getting degree , i'm just not sure if computer science is it

Attached: 14868278272.gif (320x240, 2.42M)

>you'll get the job if you know your stuff, regardless of whether you went to uni
except without a degree your cv application goes straight to the garbage bin

Not if its a small business where you have a friend who can recommend you

>implying computer science is a science and about computers
>implying programmers are computer scientists.

You can be an OK code monkey without the math and theoretical bases but you'll never become a good programmer without them.

>tfw made the mistake of studying aerospace engineering
>if I want a job I'll have to work for the military industrial complex or be a NASA slave (government salary and frequent drug checking, no thanks)
>meanwhile basically everyone I know in CS are easily getting comfy jobs that pay well and are chill

Thinking of getting a masters degree in CS to rectify my situation, what do yall think

Attached: 1550700198040.jpg (640x412, 35K)

>what do yall think
Take the stick out of your ass and either make kickass jets and missiles or work for Musk.

>kickass jets/missiles
not down to work for big soulless corporations that depend on the military industrial complex, and I'm also not down to be a Musk/Bezos slave

If you're smart enough to do aerospace engineering, then you can easily earn a CS degree.

bullshit. no one will even talk to an educated nigger

passing through a uni proves that you are at lest capable of basic self-discipline and posses an average iq

absence of a degree means that you are a bum

also, good school like MIT or Stanford will teach you a lifetime of self-studying in just a 3-4 years. their courses are polished and they teach principles instead of particulars and node_modules

kys you fucking degenerate

u r stupid

thank god my degree is chartered lmao

Never happened to me.
Maybe just don't apply to corporations?

He's not getting into any top masters programs tho without undergrad research, professor recommendations, top GRE scores, etc.

Best he'll get is a 40k 'leet code' camp for 2 years to catch up to freshman. He should just do a double bachlors, try to do undergrad research, and go to stanford for his masters or some shit.

what do you guys say, I am a 18 yr old Indian who fell for CSocks Pill. Most of the retards I study with are destined for $400/month @TCS/Wipro/Infosys. These shit outsourcing companies. Smarts like who study in ivy generally get jobs at Microsoft Adobe etc with like 6-7fig Pay. I don't feel like I can make it to these nice companies... IT is also saturated. DevOPS is a meme here Research again a meme or for Ivy's

Attached: IMG_20190624_141413.jpg (853x864, 71K)

A degrees only purpose it to make sure some hr Thot doesn't instantly throw away your CV when applying for a job

>internship
>Software Engineer
>Engineer
>"engineer"

okay stephen, it's not like there's a large difference being some corporate code slave. You just get to work in a comfortable environment. Which I guess is a pretty big difference when I think about it.

Programming itself is only a small part of computer science. A trained monkey can learn to "code".

you live in a meme, reality is a fucking meme dude. DUDE, WEED!!!

Pretty much this. Computer Science is more than just programming

>Maybe just don't apply to corporations?
who are you supposed to apply to as a code monkey then?

If you want to be a code monkey you should get a degree.

Did the exact same thing bro, we fucked up, I blame my dad for pushing me into this direction, I am also thinking about getting the master in CS

fpbp

>You might find it easier to get an interview if you have a degree,
many people go to uni specifically for this reason alone

You can't go wrong by getting a CS degree, just make sure you get an internship at some point before graduating.

>t. bugman that needs memes like uni to learn something

just poo on your resume, i heard indian companies love that

see

yes and no.

Pros
>exposes you to a breadth of subjects that you might not learn if you go the self taught route
>gives you an opportunity to establish a professional network before even starting your career
>pretty much necessary if you are interested in an academic or research focused career
>opens up new opportunities, some jobs won't hire or highly prefer people with degrees

Cons
>won't teach you everything you need to get a job, you'll still need to do side projects and shit if the projects they assign you aren't relevant to the job market, which is the case most of the time
>expensive, not just monetarily but in terms of opportunity cost

It's absolutely the sort of thing where "it's what you make of it" applies. I would say it's worth it if you actually plan on taking advantage of the opportunities it affords. I didn't and just kind of coasted, and while it turned out "okay" for me in the end, I would be in a much better position now if I did. Also I would only recommend you to go if you can without taking on massive debt somehow (parents paying, scholarships, paying only in-state tutition rates while still living with your parents, do your first 2 years at a nearby community college, etc.).

degree simply shows that you can finish things

Doing this atm, third year right now
Not sure how to translate in american terms, but we are required to do 2.5 months of intership
Most cs, law and other popular meme degrees are impossible to find a payed internship
I'm studying automation and it's under the electrical engineering faculty
Litterally anywhere i go it's a payed internship, we are in high demand.
I picked a company close to home, 10 minute walk
Can't wait, and I'll even be payed for basically learning

Attached: 1531708365106.jpg (900x1200, 204K)

>poos
>cons

How hard is the curriculum ?

While it seems pretty balanced to me, half the people have dropped out ever since first year
Some subjects i barely got through
Some aced, mostly the coding related ones

>you can learn to programme without attending university
Programming is not computer science.

Just get a certificate in computer technology and become an IT lackey. That way you can sit on your ass all day in a office solving retarded shit for normies, and then program on the side. IMO much better and more stable of a career option then software develpment. Plus, do you REALLY want to program for a living? It might sound like fun, but then you'll be forced to sometimes work on really stupid projects with really stupid people on really stupid deadlines. Might be better to just keep programming as a hobby, instead.

If I could do it again:
>take 6-8 years to get my CS degree while working part time doing literally anything but hopefully landing an intern/entry level position in my field eventually even if it is part-time.
>graduate with no debt and with a shitton of working experience which means actually getting employed out of University and having a smooth transition from university into the real world.

I bet you just landed your first junior dev role and think your shit doesn't stink. This was literally your CV six months ago. Way to go little guy.

> implying

>you can learn to programme without attending university
Yeah, try putting "I read SICP and browse Jow Forums" on a job application

The idea is that you'd have stuff uploaded to github or similar sites, or be able to show contributions to software projects. It's the same as showing up to an interview with just a degree and expecting anyone to think your special for reading a few books on a subject.

It is in USA.

Hey pajeet! I have a million dollar idea and i only need some good coders (slaves) like you to implement it! The pay is 50 dollars per month (Big money i know right)!!!!! See you ;)