What are some Jow Forums approved game engines??

what are some Jow Forums approved game engines??

Attached: 0.jpg (1280x664, 136K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NlKEO1N8wMM
youtube.com/watch?v=9fC20NWhx4s
itch.io/games/new-and-popular/made-with-godot
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Unreal engine

massive gap

Unity (for cheap 2d projetcs), and maybe gamemaker

Rest is irrelevant trash. Shame for CryEngine, had potential.

Unreal 4 and crytek
Are based
Gamebryo is cringe

Stupid applefag

>Godot
>irrelevant
youtube.com/watch?v=NlKEO1N8wMM

Retards will give you a precise answer and mock you for the things they don't use.

Wise people will tell you that it doesn't matter what you use, it's what you do with it. Just make stuff already. Choose one thing, stick to it, master it, move to another platform if you don't feel comfortable, rinse and repeat.

As /agdg/ puts it, just like make game.

Attached: ok hand anime.jpg (394x473, 61K)

Tux Racer

canvas

p much every single one of them are shit.
no, seriously

UE is good most of the things, but network and security is shit

>Thinking Linux users are Applefags
If I made mention of Farmville as a game engine, then yo'd have the right to call me an applefag, zoomer.

name 5 sucessfull game made with this game in 2019

meanwhile, a real time, game ready scene on unreal engine youtube.com/watch?v=9fC20NWhx4s 60 fps with a gtx 1080

itch.io/games/new-and-popular/made-with-godot

whats a good engine for platformers?

>Implying that means Godot is irrelevant

Yes, I'm sure Activision with their AAA-Budget can utilize UE very well. How does that mean Godot is irrelevant?

SDL

there is no real reason to use godot over unreal or unity. UE4/Unity are basically industry standard, free and extremly powerfull with a bright futur.
At least Blender is free compared to Maya etc.

libgdx

>Unity (for cheap 2d projetcs)
>implying you can't create great 3D games with it
retard

shit 3d games*

>graphics = quality

Attached: zoom zoom.gif (652x562, 392K)

>Source engine for all-round good 3D
>Unreal for pretty rainbow-farting 3D grafix
>Love2D for 2D
>Renpy for VN
>Cryebin for based boomers

>Source engine

Attached: 456756758.jpg (776x1024, 66K)

>Unreal engine
Imagine using the unreal resources engine in 2019

IdEngine
SeriousEngine.

What, is unity free now?

Three.js

UE4 is fucking gargabe.

>open source
>godly c++
>full of features
>free unless you make profit out of it
>ton of great games made with it

muh epic is evil, who cares

>what is money

dial 8

Unity is free you retard.
Give one advantage Unreal has over Unity except muh graphics.

Unreal and Unity are excellent. Godot is pretty nice.

don't be a faggot, just use gamemaker, unity or unreal, because that's where the resources of information are.

Gamemaker used to be very good in this regard, but then they nuked their immense and superb forum to shill some in app purchase bullshit. Now it's useless.

>Best Physics
CryEngine is a clear winner, Frostbite, Dunia (CryEngine fork), UE follows after
>Best Graphics
Split between REDEngine, CryEngine, Dunia, Frostbite, Foundation Engine.

I take it you've never used any other engine. They all run like absolute garbage out of the box, but among released games UE4 consistently has the best looking ones for what they use

>Source engine

Unless you have access to Respawn's fork, no

Still has use the last good game to use it was Titanfall

BFV is a garbage game but Frostbite is clearly the leader in graphics by a mile. Not sure why you even put Dunia or Foundation there. They haven't had any good looking games. RED, we'll see but Cyberpunk's not even out yet and Witcher 3 is more of art over tech. Cryengine only has some good tech demos but even UE4 looks good if you're only looking at tech demos

CryEngine has overall best physics, it's also why it's stupidly CPU intensive.

Dunia is a CryEngine fork used in Far Cry games, i'd argue Far Cry 5 looks pretty well. I should of mentioned ANVIL instead since I mixed those two up, anvil is superior in graphics.

Frostbite is perhaps the most effective engine in graphics, it really doesn't consume much horsepower that much and looks very well. RedENGINE for Witcher 3 has some impressive tech, most notably le meme tesselation, something CryEngine used to overdo like retards in Crysis 2/3.

UE4 isn't that impressive compared to Frostbite and CryEngine, I don't really count demos.

Also for Foundation, it's another engine fork, but they certainly had good looking games, Rise/Shadow of the tomb raider.

I wouldn't wish the hero engine on my worst enemies.

right I forgot about that, in that case, just use unity for 2D

Yeah, Unity is fine. Godot too seems to approach levels where it's usable for 2D. It's a bit weird, but I like some things about it. Ok for simple projects at least.

Unreal engine is literal trash. I have yet to play one game on it that doesnt feel terrible. Unity is even better

building your own is obviously the only Jow Forums approved option

Godot is FOSS is coming along nicely, so it is the one Jow Forums supports.

>there is no real reason to use godot over unreal or unity.
Sure thing, if you're part of some big videogame company and your goal is to make some AAA game.
However, if you aren't then it is the other way around:
There is no reason to use unreal or unity over godot if you're just some amateur game dev.

It is actually stupid for some amateur game dev to use Unreal or Unity, considering chances are anything you're doing or will do with them you could do with Godot with the addition of actually owning the game you will make. Don't waste your life chasing rainbows.

if you're making a 2D platformer using an engine like unity is overkill honestly. just use something like love, libgdx, etc. so you have a middle ground. using unity for this is like using a semi to pick up a few groceries

peak Jow Forums to me is writing your own engine desu, it isn't as hard as people make it out to be. yeah it'll take longer but it's still fun and you learn a lot. i'd only ever discourage people from doing it if they were straight up trying to remake something like unity or ue4 themselves (where it's generalized). if you write an "engine" for the scope of a single game you're fine. think about how tied together doom was with its engine. doom wasn't a generalized thing where you could make 20 genres in it, it was solely built for first person shooters and did a great job at it

this guy gets it

>if you're making a 2D platformer using an engine like unity is overkill honestly. just use something like love, libgdx, etc. so you have a middle ground.
At what scope would you suggest using an engine?

whenever doing your own stuff is no longer enjoyable honestly, unless this is your job. for most people this is a hobby though so i try to work on as much of the fun stuff as i can and save the boring parts for other libraries, sorta picking what aspects of my game/engine i wanna write and which ones i don't. i don't wanna write an image loader so i use stb_image. i don't wanna do audio programming so i use sdl_mixer. you get the idea

i'd say for most people it's best to just go with another engine the moment you start doing advanced 3d stuff, unless you find that sorta programming really fun. but if you're making something like minecraft though where it isn't very graphically intense but has a lot of quirks with how its map system works, that's the type of project i wouldn't use unity for. i guess for something like rocket league though using another engine would save you a lot of time and its features would definitely be useful. it's a case-by-case thing imo, there's no be all end all rule on what engine you should use and whether or not you should write your own. what i will say though is that writing a *generalized* engine is definitely a waste of time. but like my original post says, writing something like doom, minecraft, etc. where the engine and game are practically married is ideal

but rly tho just do what's fun unless you're getting held at gunpoint to release something as fast as possible

Havok
Because all souls games use this one for physics.

C

quake 3