Full system encryption vs Disk encryption

Good evening Jow Forumsentlemens, i'm in the process of setting up a new laptop and i am revisiting the encryption meme, so i have one SSD with in one partition with Window 10 LTSC and the other partition with Gentoo GNU/Linux, then i also have an HDD that i plan to use for storing my data. All my personal data will reside on the HDD and for cross-platform access i will encrypt it with Veracrypt(btw somebody knows if Veracrypt has problems with btrfs?) so my question is what exactly is the point of encrypting my Gentoo/Windows systems if all my data is on the HDD?

Use the thread also to discuss full system encryption vs disk encryption in general.

Attached: 1540031034562.jpg (477x344, 53K)

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/technology/2017/mar/23/francis-rawls-philadelphia-police-child-abuse-encryption
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Bitlocker works fine
Guy in the news recently was dl'ing cp and got raided and they are holding him without bail until he provides the encryption keys. Sounds like it works to me.

link article
doesn't really answer the question though, if nothing worth encryting in on the OS SSD why encrypt it?

the os may contain metadata or logs of the data suggesting it exists and possible what kind of data. swap file might also contain the actual data.

I just have the OS on a separate disk and then do full disk encryption for actual data. Jamal and Tyrese ain't getting my shit.

It wasn't recently but i think he's still being held for contempt of court.

theguardian.com/technology/2017/mar/23/francis-rawls-philadelphia-police-child-abuse-encryption
>A former Philadelphia police officer who has spent 17 months in jail will remain there indefinitely unless he agrees to unlock two encrypted hard drives. The suspect, Francis Rawls, has so far refused to comply with the court order, citing the fifth amendment, which protects him from self-incrimination.

Any halfway decent lawyer would be able to get that piece of shit out of jail.

>having winblow$ and Linux
contrarian found.

What kind of metadata? Also just to make my situation clear, i don't have illegal stuff on my drives, my adversary is not the FBI, possible adversaries are thieves, curios local police(like in airports), people around me that somehow get physical access. I doubt these kind of people could use the metadata or scrape fromn the swap.
Pretty fugged story overral but the article cites Apple FileVault not Bitlocker, the other user got confused?
I'm a pragmatic man, i don't care about your OS pseudo-politics.

It aint Jamal trying to get your data, it's the Chang he sold your laptop to.

For the SSD you should use LUKS since you won't even need to wipe it when you sell it, having to rely on whatever wiping mechanism the manufacturer has on it.

my encrypted arch intallation got corrupted once, system wide encryption is a meme

Attached: 1547393183147.gif (500x455, 479K)

So are gifs of weeb shit.

anime website
what a waste of trips

Lose weight
Have sex

Containment boards.
I probably weight less that your fat basment dwelling neckbeard having fedora wearing ass.

I would use just the GNU/Linux OS only, FDE.Don't trust bitlocker's reliability, being windows 10 a good os but nonetheless Windows in the end.

>being windows 10 a good os

>look ma, i'm projecting

>the other user got confused?
The other user is an idiot. Anyone recommending proprietary encryption stuff is one.

Well, It runs better on some older devices. Any given version of 10 has better driver support than any previous one. But as I said, at the end of the day Windows still is Windows and they will fuck it up in some way.

arch simply is the best

Your arch installation got corrupted? Sounds like a you problem.

Retarded stuff aside, if i use Bitlocker for Windows and dm-crypt/LUKS for Gentoo will this slow down the operating systems after boot and initial decryption in a considerable way(i got a bretty gud processor)?
(When will the day come when you can actually talk about technology on Jow Forums, instead of fanboying over stuff, i get it that it's summer but jesus)