>Year of the Linux Desktop
AAHAHAHAHAH

Attached: Capture12.png (749x730, 102K)

Other urls found in this thread:

omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/06/is-ubuntu-not-dropping-32-bit-app-support-after-all
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>h-heh games are for children
>NO VALVE YOU CAN'T DROP SUPPORT!

Attached: 1557070892581.gif (600x600, 1.87M)

>You will immediately cease and not continue to access the site if you are under the age of 18.

....and move to a different distro or start up development on their steamOS again. SAGE

summerfag

>steamOS
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Valve is funding work on kwin's compositor now so we might finally see an end to Gtk-by-default, and a standardized non shitty Linux desktop.

TIME FOR FEDORA, BABY.

Is canonical seriously going to stick to their guns? The push back has been pretty strong.

>steamOS
Brewmaster_beta release 2.190 released May 9, 2019

SAGE this garbage and move on

There's a ton of 32 bit code in Steam. If Ubuntu is dropping support for 32 bit libraries that's that.

meanwhile i still get it to login on windows xp, thanks valve

delusional, they've been trying it for years and dropped the hardware it was supposed to run on
also, bumped ;)

I see valve is reevaluating their investment in Linux community
>be one of a few companies trying to make Linux a viable choice for gamers, maybe even for other desktop users
>get shat on by said community by them dropping support for your biggest software

They're dropping support because Ubuntu will no longer support 32-bit software. Tons of games in Steam require 32-bit support.

Finally Canonical and Valve listened to Jow Forums loonix users and

Yes they will drop support for Ubuntu because it's cutting support to 32 bit, I doubt they'll drop support for Linux all together, they will probably just look for a different distro to replace Ubuntu.

fedora linux ftw

I'm working on some VR stuff that depends on SteamVR, god damn it valve why are you fucking me over

Attached: 1.jpg (904x1004, 217K)

good now op can fuck off to v and stay the fuck out of my board

canonical fucked you over lmao
steam won't work without 32 bit libraries

>"chika" poster
>is retarded
like clockwork, go back to Jow Forumseddit

Absolutely based
Footfags btfo

I have a separate gaming PC so I can install any distro Valve ends up supporting, but I would hope they choose the same one I use on my Thinkpad: Debian with KDE.

>Debian with KDE
Stable, Testing or Unstable? If I had to guess, I would say you're using Testing. Did I hit the mark?

No it's Sid. For some reason even that does not get automatically updated past kernel 4.19, probably due to CPU slowness in newer kernels.

>steam on linux
its not like linux can play games anyways, so literally what's the difference?

Sid is frozen for impending 10.0 => Buster.

Ease of access for retards who don't know how to use WINE.

Attached: 1541580794292.png (602x500, 55K)

Hopefully all desktop free software will move to flatpak soon, shit is like a safer exe installer.

B-B-BUT ITS THE LINUX YEAH GUYS!

They just need to drop Linux support temporarily so they can focus on finishing Half Life 3, Right?

Just recompile your software for 64 bit hardware and 64 bit software. Is Valve really too incompetent to do so? Not surprising.

Nothing retarded about wanting native games instead of having them work clunkily under some shitty compatibility layer.

>ubuntu droping x86 components
That shit bigger than games.

Any software that's not closed-source can just be compiled for 64 bit. This literally isn't a problem for anyone except megacorps.

They're not removing already existing libraries. They're just not updating them anymore

SteamOS is literally debian + steam.

THE FUCKING WINE DON'T WORKS WELL WITH 64bits.

Luckily nobody uses linux or you would be fucked

What, all 30,000 games?

Apparently Pop_OS is gonna keep updating their 32 bit libraries, if anyone's looking for a decent fork.

Looking forward to seeing what Valve thinks should be the replacement for desktop Linux, seeing as they were big about the whole
>Ubuntu is our favorite distribution of Linux
meme

Go back to the cesspit you came from, we don't need more illiterate retards shitting up the board when we already have indian consumer tech shills making daily threads.

The only topics started on /v/ are console war threads. Nobody would reply to a thread about Linux gaming because everybody who plays on PC there already games on Windows and knows no other alternative.

are you dim?

Exactly. You're running (((closed)))-source software in WINE, which is your problem.

freetard fags BTFO. laughing at all the times freetard activist counter argument for no games on linux was steam

Attached: E3Kakhh[1].jpg (634x650, 131K)

WHY DON'T THEY JUST RECOMPILE THEIR SHIT IN 64 BIT

HOW HARD IS IT

About the amount of effort it takes to recompile their entire library of 32 bit games to 64 bit. Though apparently this "dropping 32 bit libraries" rumor is all mostly be a meme, so Valve probably won't even have to omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/06/is-ubuntu-not-dropping-32-bit-app-support-after-all

pretty hard if they don't have the source code for the 32 bit games they sell

>freetards btfo
>because a proprietary software company stopped making their botnet trash
lol wut

Jow Forums has been warning them about the dangers of nonfree software for years, why didn't they listen?

Just tag that ancient garbage as 32 bit and hide it from Ubuntu users, who gives a shit old games suck ass

More like an apk really, since you get sandboxing and RPC portals for OS access.

good
I support both Valve and Canonical. I'll keep using Steam in a Debian VM.

use Debian

you can, with Proton

we are about to witness the rise of the MX Linux distro as THE distro

Holy fuck no one cares you literal steaming shit niggers

People don't understand that this isn't only about the decision itself, but also about the way how they handled it.
They basically just said to steam and wine
>Hey, your shit is completely broken on ubuntu now. This decision is final. Do something about it ok :^)
You don't want your target distro to act like this. It's easier to connect with debian/fedora/suse/whatever instead and not deal with the canonical bullshit and whatever retarded shit they can do in the future.

>CPU slowness
Some of these mitigations are retrofitted. You can turn off mitigations one by one via kernel command line, or as of 5.2 you just write mitigations=off (mitigation=off ?) and done. 40% perf boost.

Just ask developers to recompile, it's not hard. There is no incentive because linux users are 1% of the market.

Unironically install Manjaro or Fedora desu

>it's not hard
Fucking brainlet.

Fuck is TBD?

Works fine on arch/derivatives

To be defined, retard.

Don't you call me a retard, asshole.

>ubuntu trannies kill linux
well, it's not like anybody could have seen that coming...

To be defined you fucktarded inept clown

Yes, Valve will stop officially supporting and endorsing Ubuntu (there is even a link to Ubuntu's website on the Steam download page), because Canonical decided to cut support for 32-bit compatibility libraries. Steam and a lot of (especially old) games rely on these libraries. What's actually good is that Valve may endorse Arch or Gentoo, and, perhaps even rebase SteamOS around the newly-chosen distro. Given how Jow Forums hates Ubuntu, you guys should be happy about them losing quite a big userbase. But perhaps not happy if Valve goes with Arch or Gentoo, because then all of the forums, IRCs and mailing lists (if they can figure out how to use those), will be filled with tons of dumb questions. And given how Arch/Gentoo communities work and who they usually consist of, I'll grab some popcorn — there's gonna be an entertaining show to watch.

lol just use debian

What does kwin have to do with gtk?

Gtk by default is for GNOME integration. GNOME is historically preferred for various reasons, and KDE's kwin compositor suffered for it. Valve funding kwin development means they might base the next SteamOS on KDE+Debian and switch the Linux client away from Gtk, which could lead other proprietary vendors to do the same.

They never gave a shit. The only time they listened to the community was when they disabled Amazon botnet by default.

>use free and open source software
>install DRM malware/spyware/adware package

ummm

>i did not needed that anyway

Linux has plenty of native games.
Stop playing AAA, normalfag.

LMAO. Linux is for fucking geeks.

where do you think you are nerd
please don't tell me you actually use windows.

Just use LTS

c o p e

What's wring with steamOS?
Litterally does what its supposed to do.

>dictate native 64bit only to your users, many of which (and at least one really big name apparently) still rely on 32bit support
>your users fuck off to another distro and you don't understand why

It’s to be determined you shit-covered megafaggot.

>Game dev: Linux users were only 0.1% of sales but 20% of crashes and tickets

Why would you bother

Nothing. Aside from being FOSS Leenox projects, nothing at all. Two completely different projects. I'm excited to see Gnome die. If Gnome dies (Praise be to Kek) hopefully GTK gets forked by better autists who write the DE with something better than fucking JS. The Cinnamonfags are ok.

>why would Valve try not to put all their eggs in one basket?
Gee, user I don't know

I'm actually wondering if why they don't make an appimage/flatpack/snap package their official release. They could pack all the libraries they need right their and shit will work everywhere. It just seems like a way more obvious target for the official release then a distro.

oh look another "doesn't understand the situation but has an opinion anyway" post

this, they can't dictate what people use like microsoft can, since there's plenty of actual alternatives to ubuntu
if you do something against the interests of users, they're gone, just like that

Come home, white man.
We offer rpmfusion by default now.

Attached: fedora-1-logo.png (800x600, 38K)

>2 months later, an exploit is found in libssl.so
well shit

>Ubuntu receives significant funding from MS
>Suddenly a dumb announcement with no warning, effective immediately
Hmmmm

Whoever chooses to maintain an appimage/snap/flatpack should be responsible for supporting it of course. I don't like the idea of people packaging everything in these containers but this is actually a good usecase for these containers for once. They shouldn't drop the normal package though.

That's literally just one incompetent dev who hates Linux.
Pretty much all popular indie games have native Linux port and no one is complaining. Even Valve seems pretty happy with it, when they were posting benchmarks showing how well Source engine runs.

UBUNTODDLERS BTFO

Attached: 1557864791722.png (1005x716, 760K)

>blame dev
>the cheapest cunts are asking for the most help

Appimage and flatpaks don't run as root so a lot of exploits wouldn't matter.
Even if the exploit doesn't need root you'd still need to manually execute the appimage and somehow let another (malicious) PC know you did so.

How do you ask for help using automated crash reports?