Raspberry Pi 4 just announced

More detail here: arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/06/faster-raspberry-pi-4-promises-desktop-class-performance/

There was a thread posted on Jow Forums 5 weeks ago that got most of the specs and the launch timing right.

rbt.asia/g/thread/70993078

Attached: raspberry-pi-4.jpg (2185x1561, 614K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sajBySPeYH0
youtube.com/watch?v=CXCjpJasvG0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Looks pretty cool. Dual mini-hdmi ports seem pretty unnecessary though

>4 core 1.5GHz
>no heat sink or fan

Finally more wham

>Raspberry Pi is promising lots of multimedia support: H.265 decode for 4K60p, H.264 1080p60 decode and 1080p30 encode, and OpenGL ES 3.0 graphics.

So I can finally use a pi for 4k movie decode. King of the mediacenters

Give us a real time clock already

Attached: download_3.jpg (981x965, 67K)

> $55
thats way too much

They may be aiming to serve as cheapo work environment desktops that sometimes benefit from multi monitor set ups.

Also is your controller can handle two why not use both. The port itself is priced in pennies at most.

ur a fag

Good point

It's probably tied to the internal screen header, so you can't use both at the same time.

does its i/o still work over a usb 2 bus making the gigabit port and usb 3 useless because the max is usb 2 speeds? or did they change that with this model?

No av1

I can picture a kiosk implementation with one monitor just displaying information, rolling ads or video trailers, and the other having a touchscreen for the user.

can I finally play 1080p videos on it?
is it still a stuttering mess under linux?

I'll wait for the 15-20$ pi zero version of it

>4GB of ram

Why do they keep fucking shorting on the ram?

I am sure a lot of different utility become available with a second display that we don't talk about now because it has never been an option.

The ras team dreams of some enterprise none hobbyist market.

4GB off DDR4 is perfectly adequate.

What would you use it for? Serious question.

>Barely usefull for media center
>Too powerfull for automation shit.
My pi 2 zero is enough.

I'd agree if it had a sata port or literally anything to do swap space to, but u gotta be fucking me with 4GB only. 6GB k we got a deal even if it was 75 bucks

what are you going to do on a raspberry pi that needs more than 4gb of ram?

Does it still have botnet blobs?

keep 60 chrome tabs open

run firefox with more than 1 tab and play back anime in the backrgound while running tf2

Add your own, jesus user.

use a reading list, you don't need that many tabs open.
rpi is not made to game. it can do the first two with under 4gb of ram.

I've already taken ... a closer look.
Depending on how it performs with video playback I might get one as a kodi box.

i just bought the 3b+ versione
yay

Any word on the GPU? Is it still VC4, or are they going for VC5?
Is the RAM soldered on board, so you have to decide which one to get when you purchase them?

Gpu can run games on it, if it wasn't made for doing daily tasks why sell it I can get a NUC that performs better from wintel

a few of the nucs have a dedicated gpu from amd, those are for gaming, they also cost a lot more thsn $75 and don't come with ram at all.

i just bought this what should i do with it

Beyond being able to keep time without an Internet connection, making it easy to run a control loop at a constant sampling time.
They shill robotics application in the promo video but you you need a real time clock for signal processing beyond trivial stuff. I believe that's the reason why Arduinos are so popular for those "getting started" kits.
What grinds my gears is that I recall the official reason for making raspis without a real time clock was to keep the price down, but of course, you need two hdmi outputs on a single board cheapo computer.

the rpi 4 can actually do a lot, make a speedy nas with it

>>Barely usefull for media center

It's extremely overpowered for media center.

Well, the RAM will help a lot in making it feel usable. Whats the SOC like?

How long until they do a revision that replaces the micro HDMI with full size? because it's a garbage flimsy connector.

No FOSS drivers and firmware, no buy.

Almost did this. Most pi sites were saying it was going to be released in 2020. Oh well... It's cheap

Can I make a getto NAS with it?

Why Broadcom and not MediaTek?

Attached: rnp13gc1szs01.jpg (1280x720, 108K)

It's VC6 and it's overclock-able already to 600mhz.

You need to connect external hard drives using USB 3.0.

RPi project started at Broadcom's collaboration lab with the Cambridge University.

4GB RAM is interesting. Might get 2-3 and run a Kubernetes cluster on it using net boot.

Get an alternative with a SATA port.

yes

Attached: images.jpg (229x220, 8K)

Botnet

I just hope it's $35. I want a $35 little board and i want to pay $35 for it. That's one of the reasons I bought my first one, to play around with. The price. If it goes up, it's no longer interesting, it's just another board in the see of boards.

Looks like it will be still in that range at least for the 1 GB model, which was to be expected for the "educational tool" market.
>Just like the Raspberry Pi 3, the Pi 4 starts at $35 for the version with 1GB of RAM. There are now higher tiers with more RAM: 2GB for $45 and 4GB for $55.

You can, but Helios4 is better for this because it has actual SATA ports. On the other hand it's not exactly cheap.

Attached: helios4.png (1920x1080, 222K)

2 USB 3.0 ports with full speeds, and full Gigabit Ethernet. It has new controller.

brainlet here. can u buy this and attach my 3.0 usb hdd to it and use it as a nas/streaming media to my tv via upnp/dlna if yes. which programm/software do i use?

that's sad

Very nice. Will it be able to emulate gamecube?

I actually agree with you. There should be an official rpi case with heatsink and fan. I have an aftermarket one for my rpi 3 but I still believe it should come stock.

>what would you do with it?
eCtPU. External Chrome Processing Unit

It's based on ram
1gb - 35
2gb - 45
4gb - 55

Based and thugpilled

Does HDMI support HDR10?

videocore is only a media processing codec asic, right? With no gpu capabilities. Why won't they use mali?

>4gb model sold out everywhere

Oh well

Does your phone have a fan?

These processors don't need a fan.

>can u buy this and attach my 3.0 usb hdd to it and use it as a nas/streaming media
Yes, don't know how much power the RPI can give to HDDs though.

>tv via upnp/dlna
Don't know specifics, connecting via HDMI cable should work without a problem.

>which programm/software do i use?
For streaming LibreELEC would be an effective and simple solution.
Additional usage as a general NAS device would probably need some fiddling; If you have experience with Linux it shouldn't be too hard.
Keep in mind that depending on your needs and budget it might be a better solution for you to buy something like a Synology DiskStation which offers easier usage for a higher price.

Which pi should I get for hooking up to my router and running pi-hole? Would a zero do?

>Yes, don't know how much power the RPI can give to HDDs though.

still the same 500mA over USB-A if you use are power it with 3A which means external power for the USB drive or you risk it not having enough power to boot when the hdd power consumption spikes.

AV1 is going to be a failure anyway just like VP8 and VP9

>think if I need the usb-c power cable
>nah I'm good
>buy now
>500 Internal Server Error
Sold out.
lol.

nope, any pi type device is going to give you problems sorry

If USB 3.0 and ethernet have seperate dedicated chips then it will finally be the ideal seedbox.

VP9 is youtube's main standard and Google is probably saving tens of millions for not having to pay for other codecs.
Hardly a failure.

This seems quite interesting for scaling a lot of storage. With a couple of those and glusterfs you just pay $200 per 4 sata ports.

dedidated?

>Lol the Raspberry Pi 4 won't come out anytime soon we've reached a roadblock.

Okay i'll make my home server with something else.

>Just kidding here's the Raspberry Pi 4 bitch

no there won't be dude, george is dead

Do they ? can't find anything about it

No, you can use two monitors at the same time.

youtube.com/watch?v=sajBySPeYH0

how so?

Still too much for the neet user, it wants it for free

can i get a non zero pi with OTG

>micro-HDMI
Aaaaaand dropped

just buy a used 2u dell, you can get them cheaper and hold waaaaaay more drives.

Apparently yes.

Attached: pi.png (621x871, 208K)

Why? The Zero's the only one without USB A, the only scenario where USB OTG is necessary.

Why?

i want to run a simi automated imaging room so i have more free time at work. but i cant find a way to simulate multiple synchronized keyboards and mice over 20+ computers in the bios and windows/chromebook imaging process. if they used linux i could just suply a sh file but no.

>sold out
>No plans for new units

ChromeOS is Linux, you may be able to get by on those machines

If it can play back 4k video at 60 then i'll be retiring my HTPC for one of these.

You can likely get a ESP to behave like a keyboard.

Why separate controllers wold be important for a seedbox?

Is there any point in buying this if you already own a Rpi 3 B

To upload and read data at the same time?

Can't controllers integrated into a SoC do that?

In previous pi version they shared the bus. You COULD, but it was very slow.

Post archive link you imbecile

our boy already has a video on it

youtube.com/watch?v=CXCjpJasvG0

Attached: 1559939832592.gif (291x348, 1.69M)

I met one of the primary designers of the raspberry pi at a conference recently, he's one of the founders of the pi foundation, he said that the pi is a piece of shit, he meant it

I met Santa Claus and he said Xmas is shit

sure. whole internet is going to switch to av1 when hw decoders have arrived to mobile shit and software decoders and encoders have gain speedups on desktops.

I saw Eben Upton at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.