Riddle me this

L.I.S.P is great -- and yet almost nothing of note has been programmed in L.I.S.P

Why it do be that way though?

Attached: 220px-Lisplogo.png (220x218, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

locklessinc.com/articles/why_lisp_failed/
lisp-lang.org/
common-lisp.net/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Emacs

Clojure is everywhere though

There ya go fuck face, heres your answer. Jeez was typing something into a search engine too difficult for your fat ass? If you dont like this answer then find one you do like but what the fuck would Jow Forums know about why lisp failed ya moron - try some people who would know, like those who researched it
locklessinc.com/articles/why_lisp_failed/

because degenerates prefer node_modules

Crash bandicoot you retard.

You don't need to write other programs in LISP, because LISP itself is written in LISP.

Hey watch the language, this is a blue board you know.

It's LisP (List Processing). The market selects the popular, not the best.

It's easier to learn java and python.
C/C++ are slightly more efficient when it comes to embedded systems.

Those are your reasons. Lisp is a big harder to learn honestly, even if it's really worth it to understand a lot of things about languages in general. But god damn is it beautiful. Even if you never use Lisp, it's going to make you a more versatile thinker and learning other languages should be an easy task, honestly.

Attached: lisp lain.png (934x1000, 265K)

Lis.P. then?

Also on this note, lisp is very popular among academics. It's not that popular on commercial usage because the power of lisp isn't as lucrative as the mechanical process of codemonkeys writing mainstream languages. On some commercial projects, lisp takes the cake because it's power is more lucrative than having an army of pajeets.
Academic projects like GNU use lisp extensively, as one of their goals is to write powerful software, rather than to get profits. MIT also likes it.

I find lisp's syntax to be way better and prettier than anything else, but abstract though isn't something everybody has (and it's hard to learn). Lower level and less abstract languages like C and Python are easier to learn because they are very mechanic in comparison, which is something employers can teach their teams of coders in one or two weeks of training.
I myself use lisp exclusively, if i am to use other languages, i use some dialect that transpiles to that language (like fennel to lua or chicken to C).

>I myself use lisp exclusively
What for? Genuinely curious what kind of programs do you write

Mostly contribute to guix, emacs and some other gnu stuff. I'm getting into a guile project called chickadee, i wanna make a hobby game to test out some stuff, gonna help the dev of the library while i'm at it.
Doesn't mean i'm well experienced in any way, i use lisp because it's the first i started learning and i got used to it. I use it for less than half a year or something.

Emacs is very nice because of the ingenuity of the community behind it but it's still a terrifying Frankenstein monster, hardly an impressive piece of engineering

>some blog by literally who
no

Elaborate. I use a fullscreen emacs window all day and do my work in a really efficient way because of it.

Are you one of those people who does everything in emacs?
a-are you posting from emacs

And that's a good thing

Fizzbuzz

Maybe a little bit off topic,
But I've got an honest question:

My situation:
I am located in Germany.
I do have a development job, which is ok
but the tech/stack and also the team I have to work
with is pretty... well 'not so amazing'.

I got back to programming in Common Lisp (CL)
(primary implementation SBCL, secondary ECL)
A few weeks ago,
after a relatively long period of time not coding
with it.
Fun stuff for myself.
I really miss it.

I since approximately two weeks I am hunting
on the web for CL developer jobs.
Since now I wasn't very successful.

My question:
Do any of you know some resources or places
online where I could look for CL jobs explicitly?
Any tips/hints?

I would be fine if it was just a remote or
a freelance job. It doesn't need to be the fulltime
employment...
But at least something.

Thanks

nope, i'm traveling and only have my phone on me atm.
but most of my stuff is on emacs. here's what i need mostly:
> Jabber, matrix and IRC for communication
> Jabber.el, Matrix.el, erc
> A RSS feed reader
> Gnus
> A mail client
> Gnus
> a Text browser
> eww
> a js compatible browser
> icecat, non emacs
> a terminal/shell
> xterm for ncurses, eshell and shell most of the time
> a file manager
> dired, midnight commander and coreutils
> text editing utilities
> some emacs packages like the base utils, yasnippet and geiser
> music player
> mpd and emms
> video player
> mpv
> graphics utilities
> imagemagick (scripts and blimp, imagemagick for emacs), gimp, krita, blender (3d and video).

As you see, plenty of my shit is done on emacs, and not having it would be shit.

You'll have more luck on heavily mathematical fields rather than web. There are some company names here lisp-lang.org/ common-lisp.net/

>lisp is very popular among academics.
This isn't really true, same with langiages such as Haskell.
Step in any college nowadays, and you'll almost certainly find a Java school.
"le academic language" meme hasn't been true in decades, as academia is the first to fall for fads.

>I am located in Germany.
My condolences

Also reading utilities, nov-mode and pdf-tools
i mean mostly in math and similar. and not on classes themselves, but on research.
I have a mathematician friend who does research using mostly lisp and R.

>Step in any college nowadays, and you'll almost certainly find a Java school.

Can confirm that.
In University, we got Java.

Current job: Java.

I hate to break it to you zoomer but the majority of CAD scripting is done with lisp.

Also, academia doesn't mean college, the GNU project is academic, MIT's research division is academic, NASA, NVIDIA/AMD's research division is academic...

It is simply not taught in universities anymore. Everyone moved to Python.

I thought that was a meme, is it truthful in fact?

Yep, autolisp.

looks Pajeet-tier

Attached: autolisp005a.png (556x716, 56K)

That's not autolisp, that's an output window or something. (you will (recognize (lisp '(when you see it))))

Interesting. I might give the emacs life a try some time.