Windows for Unix users

Hello frands

I may have to use Windows for programming in a new job, but I have only ever used OSX at work, and Linux at home for programming.

I have a few questions
>What terminal am I supposed to use for day-to-day shit? Is it CMD or Powershell? Which is more normal as a bash equivalent?
>Best terminal emulator for multiple tabs? Can't believe the command prompt doesn't allow this, it seems basic
>Any way to get multiple tabs on the file explorer? Is there some custom way of doing this?
>How do aliases work for the terminal in Windows? I like being able to subl files open easily
>Is there anything Windows has that's nicer than Unix? I imagine there must be some reason it's used besides stability

Attached: bill_gates_windows_95_reutersjpg[1].jpg (1200x863, 320K)

Other urls found in this thread:

console.sourceforge.net/
portableapps.com/apps/utilities/console_portable
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You use the tool for the job.
If you're unironically a OS fanboy, I don't even know how to help you.

>applies for a job that requires knowledge of a system he doesn't know how to use.
dont waste their time. if you're not qualified, then leave.

You're going to do programming, you won't have to use any CLI. No excuses.
Yes, there are explorer tabs.
Refer to the first line.
Yes, support, in every sense of the word.

No I'm not, I'm literally just asking what Windows programmers use for their day-to-day shit

>can't greentext
Kek

Also
>nicer than Unix? I imagine there must be some reason it's used besides stability

>You're going to do programming, you won't have to use any CLI. No excuses.

For what purpose

> Run MinGW, cygwin or WSL
> Install a package manager like chocolatey
> Instal GNU Screen or Tmux for tabs
You can also use emacs' eshell for cli utilities

Why would you unironically ask on Jow Forums though
Nobody gives a fuck

You just don't have a reason to

Why would you need any of that when all you're supposed to do is program?
Also:

This, stop trying to make your life more complicated for no other reason than autism and some e-peen shit.

So you just use an IDE to compile/run all your programs?

[spoiler]Yes[/spoiler]
Pretty much like native user-space macOS development

Anyone I've seen using Mac does it all through CLI, very few people use IDEs unless it's for SQL or something

good utilities, compilers and stuff like that help quite a bit.
i like cli compiling/running too, verbose and leaves less clutter on the editor

>I imagine there must be some reason it's used besides stability
that's not the reason people use it

Windows sysadmin here.

My favorite program is Console.
console.sourceforge.net/

However, it has no installer, so to gain an installer and to simplify multiple configurations, I use the portable version:
portableapps.com/apps/utilities/console_portable

Console is a customizable terminal shell with multiple tabs, transparency, etc.

They brought the BASH shell to Windows 10 in 2016. FYI, every CMD command is also available in PowerShell. PowerShell also has aliases.

>get terminal emulator
>enable wsl / install cygwin

Done

>install Microsoft Visual Studio
>click magic compile button
this is what programming is on windows. all you need is the motor skills to navigate and click a mouse

>>Is there anything Windows has that's nicer than Unix? I imagine there must be some reason it's used besides stability
No everyone hates it its only around because of software lock in and retarded boomer executives.

>CMD or Powershell?
Welcome to windows.
Did you know MS actually removed "edit" form CMD after XP. So you are left with a broken DOS emulator that lacks basic tools (after XP).

>How do aliases work for the terminal in Windows?
>Which is more normal as a bash equivalent?
There is literally none.
Hope you like writing your scripts only using GOTO commands in .bat (can any MS shill even try to defend this?)

t. windows user

Attached: 2006257_1.jpg (630x630, 63K)

Welcome to windows the best way to use windows is to never use windows and stay in the IDE forever.