/pcbg/ - PC Building General

ATTENTION: The Navi RX 5700XT and RX 5700 will launch alongside Ryzen 3000 series CPUs with PCIe 4.0 on 7/7/2019. Nvidia is releasing a SUPER series with slightly increased specs over the original 20 series. Pricing is looking high. More info on the SUPER series possible on 7/2.

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>i7 8700 or 9700K - Extreme solution for absolute max FPS
>R7 2700/X - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>RX 570 8GB - good performance with great value
>GTX 1660 - standard
>RTX 2060 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
1440p
>RTX 2060 - standard
>RTX 2080 - high framerates (requires complementary CPU and monitor)
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 - standard
>RTX 2080Ti - better fit for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Don't bother buying a new monitor for gaming unless it's high refresh with adaptive sync
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless

Previous:

Attached: serveimage.png (1389x500, 2.55M)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/z377mq
pcpartpicker.com/list/zTJ6kd
imgur.com/a/RTbKAxD
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/50_Cent_Party
newegg.com/p/N82E16820226888
newegg.com/p/N82E16820226887
computerbase.de/2019-05/noctua-nh-u12a-test/2/?amp=1
thermaltake.com/core-wp200.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Display_Driver_Model
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

This is the best build ever, prove me wrong
pcpartpicker.com/list/z377mq
1080ti will be bought used for 350 euros

navi is fucking shit

Forgot the fucking mobo
pcpartpicker.com/list/zTJ6kd

Intel will still dominate gaming performance. AMD blow out because of low prices for a bit less performance, now with this new jewery they are gonna bomb again

"b-but AMD is a corporation, not a charity". Get fucked niggers, Intel is still king baby with all the security patches applied

who knows, but I removed and reinstalled vid drivers 3 times in a row right now and got a small improvement.
Il test some games and see whats up.
I almost caught up to the other anons vega 56.....with my fucking vega 64

Attached: anons vega 56 vs my nitro vega 64.jpg (2168x1400, 735K)

So I just built my computer today but when I was playing a game called 7 days to die my monitor went black but my pc was still running, hasn’t happend since, any know what it could be?
Specs:
MSI B450M Pro-VDH Plus Motherboard
Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L Mini Tower Case
-2 Thermaltake Litepower Gen2 450W Power Supply
AMD Ryzen 3 2200G APU with Vega 8 Graphics
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4
1Seagate Barracuda 1TB ST1000DM010 3.5in Hard Drive
ASUS Radeon RX 570 Expedition OC 4GB

reminder that the 1660 is the godcard

Just upgraded my case. Maximum load temps on GPU went from 87 to 76. I'm very satisfied.

Attached: IMG_20190624_180842.jpg (4160x3120, 1.56M)

whilst the 1060 is the cuckcard

There’s a lotta asterisks to intel being king now isn’t there? They had more solid cores over AMD for a while, and the whole point of Zen 2 was to secure being the best consumer workstation processor, and be toe to toe in individual core performance. So then intel is best at... being more expensive?

I’ll wait for specs but AMD is inevitably making a better chip that before if only because they have more capital and bargaining power to make better, cheaper devices

Oh for fuck sake you cut out the link to the Screen Guide: imgur.com/a/RTbKAxD

>pcpartpicker.com/list/zTJ6kd
>poverty tier mobo
Get x570 aorus xtreme nigger

What are the best 1660 models? Or it doesn't matter and the cheapest will suffice?
Gigabyte OC and MSI Armor 1660s are pretty much as cheap as Sapphire RX580 here but I haven't found any good reviews of their termals or noise so I'm not sure if I should go for that.

My case has a fan moduvent there. Intake was about 3 degrees cooler but I run exhaust anyway to reduce dust and fuck da pole-eece.

Gigabyte and ZOTAC

For pcie 4.0 future proofing ? Isnt that a huge meme ?

I have a 1070Ti OC, but i5 4690k OC to 4.6. What cpu would be best to avoid bottleneck and get higher fps for a 144hz monitor?

though maybe the utilization also got better but nope.
Fuck why is this vega 64 getting beat by other peoples vega 56.
Why isn't it utilized in some correctly and provides a stuttery sub 60 fps mess?

Attached: nope no luck.jpg (2028x2136, 1.18M)

Which card do I get?

Attached: 4.png (890x357, 146K)

the cheapest

What about PNY?

>Isnt that a huge meme ?
Not sure why you believe shitposters. They're just salty that they just bought a system that doesn't support pcie4.0.

If you're already paying 2.2k for a system, why not add 200 more (mid-tier x570) to have a higher I/O bandwidth that could be useful in the coming years?

lmao, what a retard.

What normal person uses any SINGLE PCIe device that will even fully saturate PCIe 3.0 x16?

PCIe 4.0 is GREAT for certain professionals who NEED super fast read/write speeds for RAW 8k editing or similar. 100gbps+ network cards, etc.

Unless you're actually going to use it, why the fuck would you spend $200+ NOW for it? When in all likely hood, by the time you have a PCIe device that can benefit from the bandwidth, you'll be upgrading to a new platform in 2023+ which has PCIe 5.0 anyway, or at least PCIe 4.0 will have come down SIGNIFICANTLY in cost.

tldr; shut the fuck up

>nobody needs more than 384k ram: the post

My bad, I have a textfile with this OP. I like your screen guide, but it needs more, maybe a description of panel types and notes about refresh rate and adaptive sync. That image is rather academic, since monitor viewing distances are like 1.5-3' and couch gamers usually have a TV anyway

lmao nigger, i aint saying NO BODY needs it, i'm saying IF you need it, you KNOW you need it, obviously this guy ISN'T someone who needs it.

Two words
>Windows
>Seven

Just read your own post. You're suggesting that new tech is bad because there isn't a current use for it. We all know how comments like these age.
NVMe already saturates 3.0 x16 easily so there's at least a single use case for 4.0 today.

>RTX 2070 is 600$ in Poland right now
>380$ in the US
How do Poles even afford electronics?

based

3.0x4* my mistake

Going to be buying these parts soon. The Stuff I have missed out I already have
Need you guys to look over it and make sure i haven't bad a terrible mistake
(may replace CPU with Ryzen 9, but we will see how the pricing goes)
Estimated Wattage = 302w

Attached: Build.jpg (1061x536, 66K)

I'm not at ALL suggesting new tech is bad, you fucking illiterate cunt, i'm suggesting no current consumer devices are going to use the bandwidth, so why the fuck should he spend $200+ NOW when he could just save that money for the future and a new build which will by default include 4.0 by then, AND be cheaper.

He doesn't need PCIe 4.0 now, so again, why should he be paying $200+ tax for it?

They dont really. Only select well off minority does.

Probably R5 3600 unless you want to spend a lot more money, but wait for benchmarks

Check reviews for the cheap model, if gud then buy. Keep in mind that the refreshes are about to come out

Monitor?

they go to western europe to work minimum wage for a couple of years and live like kings when they return to poland

No normal person even benefits from PCIe 3.0 4x NVMe, compared to a SATA SSD for normal usage, they're near identical in performance.
It's good for content creators who need a lot of read/write bandwidth, but outside of that, they're just benchmark toys for the average person.
Your game isn't loading any faster on NVMe vs SATA SSD, it's at most of few literal handful of seconds in the WORST case scenario, and in most games, totally identical to SATA.

If you need the bandwidth for work, or similar, cause you're dealing with super high bitrate videos or some shit, then yeah, NVMe drives in PCIe 4.0 will be a nice upgrade for you, but for gaming and normal PC usage? Literally just a waste of money unless you wanna show off your SSD speed benchmark scores.

Yeah sure, you remind me of those 'i5 is all you need for games' faggots who existed 3 years prior.
You'll never know what future needs for hardware there'll be, so basing your purchase decisions off what you'll need today is retarded.

tl;dr more is always better smooth brain

I've been saying the same about pci-e 3 8 years ago, now I regret I didn't went for it because all m2 nvme adapters require pci-e 3.

when a person can buy a 500gb nvme m.2 for $70, why not?

Anyone know how to fix a desk that wobbles with fast mouse movements? whole thing plus my monitor shakes

You're going to have to try a clean install of windows, and yes preferably 10.
Take a backup image of your current install and just give it a go.

Yeah EIGHT years ago, after a year or two, it was fine to buy PCIe 3.0

Most people aren't staying on the same platform for 8 years.

4-5 years at most for me.

And in 2-3 years when you're not paying $200+ tax for PCIe 4.0 and PCIe 4.0 is standard, it'll be fine to buy PCIe 4.0

I'm not saying don't buy NVMe drives, i'm saying don't waste money on PCIe 4.0 and a new PCIe 4.0 NVMe drive for no fucking reason.

...i5 is still all you need for games. but a lot of people want to run a lot of background programs and an i5 wasn't built for multitasking

tighten up the screws

That's what I thought as well. Now 8 years later I still don't see any reason to upgrade from i5 2500K.

More that can be used is better than more that can be fucking wasted. As of today it is a waste unless you need the SSD speed as said above. And it is a singular use because the next generation of GPUs wont need PCIe-4.0 so we wont see a use for gayming for another year at least. Future-proofing for a future more than 2 years out is for fools and rich fools. Might as well ask him to wait for VR tech to mature.

Well the build i posted is supposed To last me 4-5 years. That's why I'm not falling for a x570. When i'll change mobo, it Will be for DDR5, new amd socket and Pcie4 and not just a Pcie4 i have no use for

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/50_Cent_Party
guys I found out who the AMD shills are

Windows 10 is out of the question.
And linux is a who knows what kind of performance on games.
Also it's kinda irritating when I had none of these issues with an nvidia gpu, but now that I have an AMD gpu is suddenly my systems fault and not the one component that was changed.

Good job, making a logical decision and not wasting your money for no reason.

yeah tightend them all and twisted the legs as far as they will go too and it's still shaking. looks like a new desk is needed

Lol, that's because you're dumb.

I was on an i7-860 and finally couldn't deal with it anymore around 6 months ago and got a 9700k.

Fucking night and day difference.

You may well have had problems switching to a newer nvidia architecture too. It seems the problem is related to your direct x config.
7 should be fine, just clean install it. Even try put it on to your faster hdd leaving the current install intact just to test it.

Anyone have the dark base 700 case? Any good?
What extra fans did you get for it, if any?

That's because i7 860 is a garbage.

>Windows 10 is out of the question.
why?

It's unironically the best version of windows, and WDDM 2.0+ really is a fairly significant upgrade.

You can always run a W7 VM if you needed it for some old games or something particular with full hardware passthrough if you've got an iGPU or a 2nd dGPU to use for the host.

why the fuck do all modern cases come with tempered glass side panels now it's really fucking annoying
I don't want to look at my PC or the dumb flashy LEDs that manufacturers keep forcing on their products

2500k isn't all that much better bruh.

Only about 30% faster.

9700k is 150% faster than my 860.

and the 9700k is 70-100% faster than your 2500k

If a basic pure doubling in performance isn't worth it to you, then I don't know what to tell you. The 2500k IS still useable, but so was my 860 if you weren't picky with your games and werent' doing anything heavy like encoding or similar.

But for me, I see a massive improvement from my 9700k purchase. Especially older games that rely on single core performance.

Attached: 2019-06-24 12_02_29.png (3088x1461, 779K)

How does the trade-off between RAM frequency and latency work?

How do I choose between 3000 cl16 and 3600 cl8 for example?

I see. Well, that chart was made like that for simplicity (used libreoffice calc, not the best tool, but that's what I had), and focusing on the most common monitor sizes and distances would have been a lot of work for some gain in readability, but not much more. Also, personally I like a chart that leaves no empty holes, it's more flexible and gives the user the choice to pick whatever suits. As for the rest (panel type, etc) I think there's plenty of discussions out there covering those topics: I made that chart exactly because I couldn't find that particular information anywhere, with everyone either giving too generic answers (I wanted a "scientific" one) or being too focused on literally everything else. For now I think it's better than nothing.

Comparing to stock clock 2500k is sure the way to go.

well 3000 CL16 is 10.66ns

3600 CL18 is 10ns

>He can't read
look at the bottom part see where it says
>peak overclocked bench

those are the scores from the overclocked samples that have run the benchmark.

I need help people. What SSD do I pick?
I need it to be under 113 USD

So I found these two options
Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 98 USD
Crucial MX500 1TB 141USD

I kinda want to pick the Crucial one for the 1TB, the Samsung one will be doubled in price increase so it's out of the question.

Help me, do I go for 500GB Samsung or 1TB Crucial? I feel like it's still better to go safe with Samsung's quality.

I'd get this
newegg.com/p/N82E16820226888

$93 for 1TB M.2 SATA.

3 year warranty, rated for 400TB writes.

In a perfect world, multicore performance is what matters, but this is not a perfect world, and I'm not ready to upgrade mobo, memory and cpu for 33% difference.

Or this one newegg.com/p/N82E16820226887

If you need proper SATA, not M.2

Thanks, but the reason I mentioned these two models is because assume I live in a very small country where I only have two elecronics stores to go to and they only buy ADATA, Samsung, Western Digital and Crucial to stock up on.

Gonna be getting a 3600X next month, should I spend 12.5 euros on a 212 Evo AM4 compatibility kit, or 35 euros on a new Cryorig H7?

Any 2x16GB DDR4 3200Mhz+ kits that are standard height?
I really want to go AM4 with a Ryzen 3000 but muh NH- D15 and case limit RAM height

>NH- D15
You already have it? If not, pick a Dark Rock Pro 4, it has a bit more space for tall RAM. Otherwise, the best Crucial Ballistic Sport series are said to be used Micro E-die and aren't as visibly tall as the fcku hueg G.Skill Ripjaws.

Attached: 2018-04-27-product.png (1000x850, 194K)

>hear that I should get 3600 DDR4 with the new Ryzens
>fuck paying twice the price for x570 mobo with more moving points to fail
>the x470 mITX I can get, Strix Gaming seems to be marked to support 3446 at most on store specs
>ASUS website says that it supports 3600
>no indicators of revisions
Are they going to unlock it with a BIOS update somehow or what?

Attached: some mong.jpg (333x250, 10K)

Take off the big fan that blocks the RAM and put a 120mm fan there instead. Otherwise you're limited to cheapshit corsair or OEM RAM and fuck that.

Just convert the D15 to mid-pull instead of push-mid.

The motherboard has very little impact on supported RAM speed, it's the CPU that matters. All B450/X470 boards will comfortably run 3733+ with a Zen2 CPU installed.

Remember to subtract the height of the RAM contact pins. They're about as high as the CPU which isnt flat on the motherboard so you typically have a little wiggle room unless specified otherwise

It actually does have an impact due to topology of the traces. You can google overclocking RAM on ryzen. I think it was a techpowerup article that explains it. The right procODT depending on the topology can make a difference, like 2933 loose timing vs 3200 tuned timing on b-die

OP YOU NIGGER, UPDATE THIS SHIT

really m8, a320 boards also support xmp. don't know about the old a300 though.

We are talking minor (+-66mhz) differences at the absolute extreme end of overclocking. The real limiting factor is the CPU's IMC. Some cheaper X470 boards might struggle to go over 5000mhz on Zen2 but that really doesn't matter when 3733 is the sweet spot for the IF.

It's really the timings that are tough. I'm able to boot the xmp profile for 3200c14 although it wasnt stable. When I used the memory calculator to tune timings it straight up wouldnt boot at all. Had to set the procODT higher and so far so good

yeah I already have the D15

>put a 120mm fan there instead.
If I have to, I'll do this, was trying to not loose a fan but maybe I'll shell out for an A12 which would open up kits like the Trident Z kits
>Otherwise you're limited to cheapshit corsair
corsair does make one kit that would be fine but I've already been burnt by corsair once and reviewers admit it's finicky to get at the proper speed

Other than slots for RAM and PCIe, are there any performance downsides to using a mini-ITX board instead of ATX?

Kinda curious about making a mini gaming build, but I don't want to give up performance or anything unnecessarily.

Attached: 1293699619810.jpg (640x800, 186K)

VRMs tend to be less impressive and have smaller heat sinks.

>I don't want to give up performance
You will be doing that either way because of thermal constraints.
Don't fall for the ITX meme unless you absolutely have to ie. you live in a cupboard.

>are there any performance downsides to using a mini-ITX board instead of ATX?
Can't fit the big air coolers both for CPU and GPUs, therefore it can get hot really quickly if you're not using a AIO. Basically throttling can (and most likely, will) be an issue unless you're using very cheap CPUs and GPUs that don't have much heat.

Plenty of smaller cases like the H200 and meshify mini c support full sized coolers. And barring that AIOs are proven better than high end air according to respectable review sites and not a dumb literal paid shill like Linus

computerbase.de/2019-05/noctua-nh-u12a-test/2/?amp=1

>he doesn't know

Attached: Ryzen_prix_france.jpg (618x1113, 246K)

Are there any downsides to not making your build a pain in the ass and simply picking ATX instead?

Would the thermal issues not be an issue though if I don't plan on OC'ing? Or are they just worse in general?

>You may well have had problems switching to a newer nvidia architecture too. It seems the problem is related to your direct x config.
Anyway I can fix the driect x config without reinstalling windows 7, again the procedure is very troublesome.
So I rather try to do that shit manually. is it possible?

>Even try put it on to your faster hdd leaving the current install intact just to test it.
I have an SSD.

>Windows 10 is out of the question.
>why?
>It's unironically the best version of windows,
ehhhhhhhhhh, no there is a lot of downsides to windows 10 for me and so far as I see the only upside is being able to use DX12 and raytracing, but I don't give a fuck about either.
>and WDDM 2.0+ really is a fairly significant upgrade.
What's that?
>You can always run a W7 VM if you needed it for some old games or something particular with full hardware passthrough if you've got an iGPU or a 2nd dGPU to use for the host.
I play plenty of old games and I don't have Igpu as I have a ryzen.

It's mostly a CPU cooling problem for sffpcs. Most of them have vented side panels by default soncoolong the GPU tends to be easy. The CPU months other hand... we could really use some larger low profile coolers. That said the c14 does a fine job on cases like the ncase m1 and sliger cerberus. Sandwich cases is where you run into issues. The cryorig graphene is supposedly able to handle 100+ loads so hopefully it will be a good option in the future

It should be fine for stock, it'll just run hotter than a similar specced ATX board.

im looking for a case that can hold 4 480mm rads, last thread user said i should take the thermaltake core wp200. is it good? or a rattlecage? how is the quality compared to a corsair case? i have the 900d currently its kinda poor made.

thermaltake.com/core-wp200.html

where can i make my own case and someone with a CNC machine will make it? is there an online tool to make this?

>What's that?
The way windows talks to your graphics driver.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Display_Driver_Model

Anything beyond 1.3 requires windows 10

They're just bad in general. At best, you'll have higher noise since the cooling system will have to run harder to cool your components since it's going to have less airflow by design. At worst, you'll get both the throttling and the noise. If you don't have size constraints, it's not worth it. Too bad µATX is dying, heh.

There are shops that have instant quotes for cnc. Expect to pay well over a thousand if you want a whole case even if it's only like 6 pieces.

Maybe try to find an used CaseLabs case since they went under.

So, at this price point (25-40$) is this the best one? I've heard that the cryorig h7 was slightly better at a similar price point but I can't seem to find it at a reasonable price.

Attached: 2.png (1614x844, 542K)

More like under $30. It's a black Hyper 212, that stuff used to be dirt cheap. Anywhere near $40 and I wouldn't consider it.