What are some fun / weird / unique expansion cards to buy for a PC...

What are some fun / weird / unique expansion cards to buy for a PC? I don't care if it is totally useless or costs a bomb, I'm rich and bored and want to be entertained

Attached: card.jpg (1444x1071, 105K)

Other urls found in this thread:

aliexpress.com/item/32900465038.html
ebay.co.uk/itm/123177980008
recycledgoods.com/future-domain-ide-16003-isa-ide-cdrom-controller-w-composite-audio-connections/
pcs-electronics.com/3000-transmitter-card-p-1664.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Not your pic related.

They don't make weird and wonderful shit anymore, that's all software these days. similarly interfaces to weird and wonderful external hardware is all just USB. your choice of expansion cards is just the usual shit that you'd expect:
>GPUs
>USB or legacy I/O (serial, parallel..) cards
>SATA (or legacy IDE) adapters
>NICs, though you could use fancy ultra-fast server ones
>wireless NICs
>sound cards, which have been a meme for about fifteen years

tape drive
raid controller

IEEE-488

Attached: 7088-3059163.jpg (800x641, 70K)

My Quadro RTX 8000 is kinda fun.

Multiple sound cards

in what way? I had a quadro on my old workstation but it may as well not have been a quadro and it didn't really do anything a regular card couldn't have done

TV tuner

SATA adapters are the only useful ones nowadays that aren't the usual.

It has 48GB of VRAM.

how are you actually using that though, because I never ran into something that would actually care about that, and I do gpu accelerated statistics on huge models

Get a SAS host adapter. Then you can buy and install an LTO tape drive. Preferrably a LTO-5 tape drive - its tapes can store up to 1.5 TB of data, and it supports LTFS, meaning that those tapes can function like hard drives. You can even boot an OS off of them.

Attached: 490523-2.jpg (641x428, 109K)

It’s fun to btfo 2080Ti owners when they brag about their graphics card. I just tell them that they have the cut down baby Turing and they literally die inside.

You could make fuckhuge virtual screens and remote view them on different devices.

redpill me on raid controllers Jow Forums should I get a bunch of SSDs and raid them

buy a new car or something

no, hardware RAID is shit. If you want to RAID a bunch of SATA drives get a non-RAID SAS HBA card and some breakout cables. That starts at like $100, less if you're willing to hit ebay and reflash firmware. Of course if you're doing something that actually wants more speed than one SSD can give you you won't be using SATA SSDs in the first place, you'll be getting a PCI-E adapter card and sticking some NVMe M2 drives in it. Better actually have the lanes to feed them, though.

>What are some fun / weird / unique expansion cards
>posts bog-standard network card, doesn't even have an option rom in it

Not weird, I used to transfer shit to my PET with one. It was a PCI card though.

System on a card is pretty cool, full pc but on pci card.

a bunch of expensive pc stuff still comes nowhere near the cost of a car, you can build a god-tier pc with all kinds of useless bullshit and still not be at 1/4 the price of a new car
it's actually a pretty cheap """"""""""hobby""""""""""" all things considered

It's not bad even compared to traditional hobbies like photography or ham radio.

Play with the big boys user.
aliexpress.com/item/32900465038.html

Xeon Phi. Need to get it 2nd hand though, they were discontinued.

How about a barcode scanner? It's fun tech and you can re-write the magnetic strips on your credit cards.

I wish I could find one that's good for the integrated chips, but I haven't found one yet.

OP, the real solution is to buy yourself an old timey computer with an S-100 interface bus! This would be super cool. You could plug-in all the expansion slots.

yea very true, the cost of a nice camera is more than the most high end desktop pc

>the magnetic strips on your credit cards.
you keep your cards from 10+ years ago?

Fuck off Linus Tech Tips writer I won't do your job for free.

well, I had that TV card. Used to rip cinemax topless scenes and post them on limewire. Those were the golden days!

>I had that TV card.
no you didn't, because that's not a tv tuner card

Even my current cards have magnetic strips. Since everyone uses the embedded chip, you can play with the magnetic part without damaging the card. Where I live, they don't even let you swipe with the magnetic part anyways. It's more for adornment.

i haven't seen a card with a magnetic strip in many years

>Preferrably a LTO-5 tape drive
What, LTO 6 is probably cheaper

well, excuse me then
they look the same

no they don't
most, if not all, analog tv tuner cards have a big metal shield on them, they look very distinct

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (1000x565, 109K)

I would kill for something like this for old gaming platforms. Instead of emulating just use native hardware attached to the PC.

I only run 3440x1440p so I don't need stupid vram 11gb is enough 4me
Your useless toaster brick with lots of slow vram I guess

You can easily spend car money on a PC if you go wild enough. Gaming hardware is dirt cheap compared to video processing hardware.

well, fuck you asshole

This. Oscilloscopes are fun and aside from that and other high speed data acquisition we don't get much custom hardware as far as expansion cards go. :(
t. computer engineering student working in labs

wireless VR

Attached: e3-intel-wigig-vr-14-100725935-large.jpg (1200x800, 80K)

fast cpus replaced neat addon cards

Back in the day when I had Amiga PC emulator was hardware card. A2ooo motherboard even had isa slots so you could use pc isa cards with "emulator".

when I say old I mean like mid-2000s systems where emulation is resource-intensive enough to cause problems on all but top-of-the-line PCs.

I have an IDE controller card somewhere, designed especially for optical drives. It has fucking RCA outputs for CD audio.

similar:
ebay.co.uk/itm/123177980008
recycledgoods.com/future-domain-ide-16003-isa-ide-cdrom-controller-w-composite-audio-connections/

Gas chromatographer/mass spectrometer

What's it like to work for Linus, OP?

PCI DVB-S2 satellite receiver

Get an Earthsoft PT2 or PT3 ISDB tuner card. Totally useless outside Japan.

Buy a professional sound card.

I don't think you can get an lto 6 drive for under 1k

I have an APS-C film scanner from 90's. It's connected to PC via LPT-port so its slow as hell, drivers work only on Win98, software is proprietary and crappy and because of light bulb needed for scanning, it overheats very easily and it must be allowed to cool down. Max resolution is 2625x1500 and images are soft.

What a lovely device.

Attached: kodak_fd300_apsc.jpg (848x564, 44K)

bad implementation of a fucking brilliant idea.

/p/'s film thread would probably still be all over that though

Too bad Kodak decided to use smaller film in APS. Cartridges was indeed a fucking great idea because one could swap between different film types as needed.

Attached: kingwin 2 bay pcie 2.5'' drive mount.jpg (1000x1000, 50K)

What can you even run on those? I assume not just regular x86 software.

I can't find any information in this, but I'm interested. Do you have links to anything for this?

SFP cards.
Fiber channel cards.

Check out the data center stuff, they have dozens of network cards. Infiniband, etc.

pcs-electronics.com/3000-transmitter-card-p-1664.html

>seething
It’s exactly the same speed RAM as on the 2080Ti, just a wider 384 bit bus. So it’s actually faster. ;)

>wireless

Attached: e3-intel-wigig-vr-14-100725935-large.png (1200x800, 742K)

Eternally btfo’d

Is it fuckwhit? No it's not u stupid benchmark ass rammer

Pcie digitizer card

Attached: digitizer.jpg (4163x3362, 1.39M)

I prefer to be the ass rammer instead of being the one who gets his ass rammed like you do.

both of you are faggots.

Fibre Channel cards.

TV Tuner

CCTV capture card.

Attached: HD-960H-4channel-cctv-dvr-video-capture-card-support-p2p-remote-view.jpg_640x640.jpg (640x564, 63K)

Attached: IMG_1155.jpg (4032x3024, 2.05M)

is that a SODIMM RAM slot on the right end of the card?

Correct. Anything after LTO-5 is very expensive (and even LTO-5 is pushing it).

...Is this an/for an oscilloscope?

When will they start making SAS HBAs with active cooling? This crappy little passive heatsink is barely enough.

For server blades, passive cooling is just enough when you consider the loud ass fans in the middle.