Ubuntu isn't dead yet

Canonical is in full damage control mode. 32-bit libs will not be dropped from Ubuntu (for now).

ubuntu.com/blog/statement-on-32-bit-i386-packages-for-ubuntu-19-10-and-20-04-lts

Attached: 1456125746_logo-ubuntu.png (1000x1034, 47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

subdiff.org/blog/2019/new-website-new-company-new-partners-new-code/#part-of-valves-open-source-group
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yeah no, I'm still switching to debian.

Anyone knows of a good lightweight testing-based distro? I favor out-of-the-box solutions.

Doesn't Testing actually lag behind Stable when it comes to critical security updates?

Possibly, but I'm not security obsessed and I am not keen of older packages for the sake of stability. Back when I used vanilla testing a few years ago I never had any issues to speak of, and frankly I just prefer out-of-the-box distros these days.

enjoy your packages from a decade ago

Too late Ubuntu, I already switched to Fedora.

Liking it so far. Steam works great, as does all the software I use on *nix. dnf is better than apt. don't (you) me.

Fedora is fine
Package managers are all the same to me
But latest KDE anything >latest GNOME anything

KDE Neon is great for KDE. Latest KDE software built on Ubuntu LTS.

Fedora also has a KDE version, but I prefer GNOME. To each their own.

Attached: 1370033469321.png (750x850, 735K)

KDE and lxqt are paving the future for linux DEs in general, and gnome and xfce will eventually become a thing of the past. I really wish there were more distros based on lxqt at this point tho.

dnf is super slow though, I wanna like it but how is it so much slower than apt?

I think it's because it automatically refreshes repositories if they're out of date. it's significantly faster once the repositories are up to date.

Based Khad
subdiff.org/blog/2019/new-website-new-company-new-partners-new-code/#part-of-valves-open-source-group

all the good parts of ubuntu were backported to debian so it doesn't matter if canonical dies, microsoft will probably buy them out anyway

>We will also work with the WINE, Ubuntu Studio and gaming communities to use container technology to address the ultimate end of life of 32-bit libraries; it should stay possible to run old applications on newer versions of Ubuntu. Snaps and LXD enable us both to have complete 32-bit environments, and bundled libraries, to solve these issues in the long term.

lol they're not reverting shit, it's all a ploy to get people to use snaps. fuck snaps

I'm more interested to see how valve will react. I don't think Canonical will win them back after this fuck up considering they never even had an agreement to begin with. SteamOS is already based on standard Debian, so my guess will be they will push it further.

steam can just bundle the 32 libs, i thought they already did

Can they bundle 32bit mesa? What about novidia drivers?

Already switched to manjaro

This just punts the problem down the road a few years, it doesn't solve anything.

Exactly.They're scrambling to keep people on board until their stock goes public.Fucking weasles.

Haha they linked the "extensive discussion" from their mailing list. Its like five people talking about it being unethical to drop i386 because poor people and buying new computers is bad for the environment, then the thread dies with no decisions being made.