UDINDU GOES UCUCKU

>The soap opera is over: Canonical gives in to the pressure of the community and is committed to maintaining the 32-bit architecture at least until the release of Ubuntu 20.04 LTS next year, according to a statement published in the Ubuntu blog right now.

Attached: ubuntu-server.png (718x479, 25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

techrepublic.com/article/ubuntu-19-10-drops-32-bit-support-angering-linux-users/
portableapps.com/apps/internet
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

lol
cucked into submission by based Steam.

i dont understand why they dont just ship the libraries

how hard can it be? specially since debian is the one that maintains them

Welp, this is as good a time as any to distrohop.
What distro should I switch to, fa/g/s? Preferably I’d want something systemdless. I tried GuixSD so far and it wasn’t to my liking.

openrc is getting there but there is no reason to hurry
just use systemd be pragmatic

mx linux is a debian based distro up to date

try Windows for once, user, you will completely stop distro hopping

Gentoo cures that.

Perhaps they want to make a trend and create a beautiful future Itanuim dreamt of.

Fuck legacy ets.

Because Windows will fail to the point of not being able to install anything else.

You can install another OS if you wish, but Windows has more support for everything than any Linux distro has

>Implying Windows isn't going the way of iOS
>Force everything to be installable only through the app store
Does anyone remember when you could run portable programs & install programs through MSI or EXE installers?

works on my machine

The damage has been done, and they've only bought themselves another 10 or so months.

That's not what they said. They're maintaining only select 32bit packages. Please provide links if new information states otherwise.

Sauce

techrepublic.com/article/ubuntu-19-10-drops-32-bit-support-angering-linux-users/

Basically, they're not outright killing support for 32-bit applications. They're preventing new ones from being added to the supported repositories, preventing updates to 32-bit apps and libraries, and are no longer providing 32-bit downloads for Ubuntu 19.10. There's also no upgrade path to 19.10 for existing 32-bit Ubuntu users. You'll still be able to run 32-bit apps and libraries in the future, but they'll only get older and older.

Their reasoning was that 1% of users of Ubuntu are on 32-bit machines. It's unclear whether this statistic includes alternate distros of Ubuntu, such as Lubuntu or Xubuntu, or if it includes Linux distros that aren't marketed as more Ubuntu but rely on it as a base, such as Linux Mint.

If this stat is without those alt distros, and they release a new one including those particular ones I mentioned (Lu and Xu), then I'm sure the statistic will be way larger. When I want to install Linux on an old, 32-bit computer, I avoid vanilla Ubuntu regardless of any 32-bit support debacles because I know I need a very light weight Desktop Environment in my distro, and I know Ubuntu's default just won't cut it. I usually end up using a derivative of Ubuntu that ships with a lightweight desktop.

Neutering 32-bit support for Ubuntu will neuter everything based on it, including those Ubuntu-based distros that do see a large 32-bit userbase because they're meant for weaker or older computers.

Either way, none of the following sentiments have changed despite my clarifications:

(This is my first reply here on Jow Forums. Am I doing a good job?)

>am I doing a good job
No, your reddit spacing is out of control.
Memes aside, there is an easy option to get the updates to the 32 bit binaries, you just add the debian repositories (use testing or unstable) to /etc/apt/sources.list, but canonical refusing to publish updates sets precedent. If they think this is okay, then someone else might decide it's okay. Then everyone including microsoft decides it's okay and from 2021 on the only way to run 32-bit software is on a virtual machine, and 32-bit software starts disappearing from the web.

Microsoft will never do it because their business customers need legacy support

Microsoft dropping 23-bit support will certainly cause an apocalypse bigger than the one of the drop of XP.

>reddit spacing
go back, retard

I can't tell if you're trolling or if this is actually your first post, but you make a good point. I'm not sure how much of it should really be Canonical's problem, though. If someone made a distro for legacy systems, and based it on a distro that doesn't target legacy systems, then they must have known that this was a possibility.

Attached: bluescreen.jpg (495x600, 242K)

Thank you for your feedback!

that was quick, guess I won't have to install LFS after all

Mint already has a Debian edition, Udindu BTFO

Attached: 1559277662444.png (1005x716, 760K)

Nobody gives a shit about Win10 S though.

You mean today?
portableapps.com/apps/internet

They only rolled back because of the statement Steam issued. God, I hope Steam comes out with another statement saying:
>Even though Canonical has decided to ship future releases with 32-bit support, we can't be seen supporting companies whose decision chain is so unstable and indecisive. Steam will not support Ubuntu and we're still moving onto another platform. Stay tuned for more info.
...something along these lines! That'll BTFO Canonical eternally! Please happen!

void gentoo or lfs

Kill yourself redditnigger, your kind is now welcome here.

nah, too much work to change distributions

>Windows has more support for everything

Attached: 1530230058117.jpg (125x123, 2K)

Ubuntu is a Debian derivative, so it's easy for 'em just to switch to Debian.

Tbqh steamos is already debian based so it doesn't really matter but there was a screenshot of a valve dev saying that they were getting really tired of debian's tooling.
The question however is what distro is noob friendly enough that they could endorse on their website? Debian and fedora are probably out of the question since they don't allow proprietary packages ootb.

>debian
debian is all about bureaucracy and (thus) ancient software
>fedora
>he doesn't know

manjaro

Void

Yeah, there was a fedora dev licking valve's ass in twitter. That doesn't mean they'll use it.

>There's also no upgrade path to 19.10 for existing 32-bit Ubuntu users
they dropped 32 bit users in update 18.04

WAYRTAL fags will never be able to admit it just because WX UI is not consistent and they are customization ''muh aesthetics'' freaks.

Attached: 1538025442135.jpg (1916x2444, 1.74M)

We've been telling you for years, but you didn't listen:
install Gentoo.