/obsd/ - OpenBSD General

OpenBSD is a free and open-source, security-focused, Unix-like operating system.

*Please remember that this thread is not meant to be a discussion about Linux vs OpenBSD*

FAQ:
>How do I get started?
-openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html

>What are the available graphics drivers?
-amdgpu(4): AMD Radeon GPUs using the amdgpu kernel driver (not enabled by default yet, still Work-In-Progress)
-intel(4): Intel integrated graphics chipsets
-radeon(4): ATI/AMD Radeon video driver
-efifb(4): EFI frame buffer
-vesa(4): Generic VESA video driver

>What are the available wireless drivers?
-man.openbsd.org/?query=wireless&apropos=1

>How do I set up Full-Disk Encryption?
-openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html#softraidFDE

>Why OpenBSD?
-sivers.org/openbsd
-over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/01 (discusses *BSD in general)
-why-openbsd.rocks/ (shows up a random fact about OpenBSD whenever you load it)
-openbsd.org/innovations.html
-en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenBSD_security_features

>Should I use -release or -current?
-If you're using it in your home machine, then -current is most likely what you're looking for since it contains updated packages.

>How do I follow -current?
-openbsd.org/faq/current.html

>How do I upgrade -current to the latest snapshot?
-Just run sysupgrade(8) as root.

>How do I get help?
-OpenBSD man pages
-OpenBSD mailing lists: openbsd.org/mail.html
-daemonforums: daemonforums.org/
-OpenBSD FAQ: openbsd.org/faq/

>Book recommendations:
-Absolute OpenBSD (2nd edition)
-The Book of PF (3rd edition)

>Miscellaneous:

-c0ffee.net/blog/openbsd-on-a-laptop/ (tips for a laptop installation, contains some useful information)
-openbsd.org/lyrics.html (OpenBSD's songs)
-cdn.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/packages/amd64/ (list of available packages)

Feel free to ask questions and discuss topics that are related to OpenBSD.

Attached: pepebsd.png (5000x4000, 1.02M)

Other urls found in this thread:

code.jsoftware.com/wiki/NuVoc
man.openbsd.org/afterboot
gist.github.com/QWxleA/0a3e28f4a3387e5087e8f3608c32fd03
marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=155625751120478&w=2
pastebin.com/vXtP6K38
cdn.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/i386/,
man.openbsd.org/ifconfig
man.openbsd.org/hostname.if
marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports-cvs&m=156139499810291&w=2
cdn.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/packages/amd64/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inspur_K-UX
dragonflybsd.org/hammer/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

lolis

The creator of /obsd/ here, I'd like to note that this thread was not made by me, and I'm not sure if this it's legit or a trolling attempt.
If it's legit, then I don't mind it.

It looks legit so

It's legit. I'm

Oh, thanks for making this thread then. :)

You're welcome ;)

Why use openbsd? Not a troll or defensive linux user just wanted to know the point of openbsd. What does it do differently compared to other Unix shit?

Have you tried reading the thread?

Oh shit. Just saw the link. My bad

I truely hope OpenBSD BTFO Trannix after it matures out of being a VM/Docker OS

Attached: 1532156763382.png (490x380, 144K)

OpenBSD filesystem support? Only FFS?

It supports numerous file systems, like EXT2 and FAT32, but it's generally recommended to stick to FFS since it's the most time-tested and reliable one. There has been some recent effort to port HAMMER2 though.

What does Jow Forums's ~/.exrc file looks like?

What? Does no one use vi around here?

I use pico (not nano) and emacs.

(((emacs)))

Kinda curious, what programming language do /obsd/ users use?

j

Never heard of it, what's it like?

apl but you don't need a weird keyboard

code.jsoftware.com/wiki/NuVoc

>How do I upgrade -current to the latest snapshot?
>-Just run sysupgrade(8) as root.
wow that’s seriously cool. The last time I used openbsd I had to write a script to download the files and upgrade.

C

Or y'know, you could've just booted from bsd.rd and downloaded the files from there.

Sounds interesting.

Yeah, they've been working a lot on improving the user experience these days, the addition of syspatch, sysupgrade, Vulkan and AMDGPU clearly indicate that.

Have you tried setting the "PAGER" env variable to vi?

unny

Attached: 1533638440024.gif (400x486, 161K)

I just found this useful man page, maybe add it to the thread?
man.openbsd.org/afterboot

Continue here:
gist.github.com/QWxleA/0a3e28f4a3387e5087e8f3608c32fd03

They forgot sysupgrade(8), otherwise pretty good list.

What graphics interface, you can advice me? On openbsd

Attached: puf800X689.gif (800x689, 69K)

It has all the standard DE you can find in most linux distros and it comes bundled with a few wm too.

I just discovered that OpenBSD has a Ghidra port!
marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=155625751120478&w=2

It supports many filesystems that don't utilize journalling (they prefer softupdates). However, fuse support is right there, so if someone finally gets to port fuse-ext4 from FreeBSD, you'll have ext4 support too.

Neovim user here, although I think I might switch to something lighter soon as I don't use any plugins except for some binds I've made myself (eg. a shortcut for rebuilding an entire project)

I'd recommend to try out cwm(a part of the base system). If you don't like it, openbox and i3 are supported too.

Can you guys please spoonfeed me how to change resolution on my Thinkpad?
Currently I have a 1024x768 resolution from what I can gather, but the aspect ratio looks really off especially when I use an internet browser. If I enter xrandr it says "Failed to get size of gamma for output default" and then lists "Screen 0: minimum 1024 x 768, current 1024 x 768, maximum 1024 x 768".
X.org.log said it's using a default config because there wasn't one found, so I tried to add one manually by adding some values into an xorg.conf but it didn't seem to have changed anything. If I try to change anything via xrandr it just gives me the same error "Failed to get size of gamme output default".
My graphics card seems to be "vga1 at pci0 dev 2 function 0 "Intel HD Graphics 3000" rev 0x09
I think I installed all drivers necesarry via fw_update
Oh, and I had to disable inteldrm in the kernel for it to even get past the boot, otherwise it would just be a black screen after starting X

Inteldrm might be the actual problem here. It seems like it just defaults to vesafb. Give me a moment and I'll check what might be wrong (or ask devs on #openbsd freenode IRC)

Post your dmesg
>I had to disable inteldrm
Yeah that sound like a bad idea.

Are you using a -current or 6.5? If you're using 6.5 try -current.

What does your dmesg say?
And try using -current instead of 6.5.

>try -current
no

OpenBSD -current != FreeBSD -current

>dmesg
pastebin.com/vXtP6K38

Am using 6.5

You're not running inteldrm, therefore you aren't getting accelerated graphics.
You mentioned earlier that you had problems with inteldrm, try -current and see if your problem gets solved.

Thanks k think a will setup i3

What can I use for manage network like networkManager, I used it since too many years on laptop.

>try -current
Just so I don't do anything stupid, this basically means I should download the "bsd.rd" from here cdn.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/i386/, put it in my root folder, and then boot from it via entering "bsd.rd" at the boot> prompt and then choose (U)pgrade, right?

IT'S HAPPENING

Attached: 34432322-11.png (1068x797, 165K)

You don't need that around here, just use ifconfig
man.openbsd.org/ifconfig
And edit this file if you need to set an interface
man.openbsd.org/hostname.if
Yes and are sure that you need i386? Most computers use amd64 nowadays.

Holy shit.

We got a Steam client!
marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports-cvs&m=156139499810291&w=2

Is this the beginning of the end

Oh god now we'll have all the stupid fucking manbabies crying about muh grafix wanting proprietary drivers

Don't worry, we're safe. The OpenBSD team will never allow WINE because of its related security issues, therefore we won't have annoying people crying over Windows games.

Hey guys, newfag here. I'm a huge fortnite player, is this os a good choice for improving my k/d ratio?

Bait.

>You don't need that around here, just use ifconfig
>man.openbsd.org/ifconfig
>And edit this file if you need to set an interface
Mhm OK, but for WiFi connexion?

Have you read the second link in the comment? There's literally an example for WiFi connection there.

is open and free bsd the same thing?

Just create a file
/etc/hostname.if
replace "if" with your wifi interface name (you can know that using ifconfig),
Then run as root:
sh /etc/netstart
for the changes to take effect

No.
Make sure you put the wifi example inside that file.

>Have you read the second link in the comment? There's literally an example for WiFi connection there.
So sorry
Thank you ;)

Did you get it working?

I can only test this evening ( in 11 hours)

Holy shit, I just did this and it actually worked. Thanks. All resolutions are listed now and I don't have to disable inteldrm anymore. There was also a graphical bug when I was logging in that is gone now. Everything looks nice and aspect ratio seems correct.
Though I had to do a whole package upgrade since none of the packages I had installed previous to the upgrade could be called via command line anymore for some reason.

>needs linux programs
no

Stupid question here : but new to bsd
Can I easily run
- aircrack-ng
-pandoc
-tor
-pandoc
-nextcloud
-keepass
- latex

Just search about the packages that you want:
cdn.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/packages/amd64/

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inspur_K-UX
>More POSIX compliant than any BSD
BSDtoddlers BTFO

Attached: tenor.gif (220x216, 39K)

How's pico compared to other editors? What makes it better in your opinion?

I use cwm myself, pretty comfy experience.

Exactly what I wanted :)
Thanks
Oh can install nginx !

No problem! :)

Does jail, (or chroot) is very different to lxc?
Can I choose to run for example a Firefox in a jail?
And destroy it, or clone?

A jail is more of a way of isolating each user.

Jails are a FreeBSD feature, not an OpenBSD one.
And on OpenBSD, you don't need to care about sandboxing, most packages are patched to use unveil(2) and pledge(2). You can probably do a chroot if you want to, but I don't see a point.

Not the guy you're responding to, butcouldn't you technically install this feature from FreeBSD onto OpenBSD, if you really wanted it? I know it'd be redundant, though.

Well it's a kernel-level feature, so the OpenBSD developers need to implement it first, I don't see a point on why would they do that, though.

Definitely love Jow Forums community when speaking about obsd ;)

Yeah, it's one of the few non-retarded places on Jow Forums where actually knowledgeable people discuss their passions.

Why are there 2 OpenBSD generals? Why can't you guys keep your cancer contained to one thread?

>The cope

>Yeah, it's one of the few non-retarded places on Jow Forums where actually knowledgeable people discuss their passions.
So why do you go retarded over posts like All the guy was trying to do was have an intelligent conversation on the meaning of POSIX compliance in such a fragmented project, where everyone seems to take pride in being "more compliant" than Linux (which simply isn't true, nor is an excuse to claim that BSD is better). And I would go as far as to say that opinions about BSD being passed off as fact, while rejecting facts from even the worst of trolls, is hardly intellectual or non-retarded.

This. This thread is basically eye bleach after all the shit that I see posted on Jow Forums every day.

>Samefagging to cope with the past few days of trolls and
Maybe you should use bleach for eye drops at this point.

Does OpenBSD support UFS Logging?

>Actually knowledgeable people
You missed the guy yesterday, using the No True Scotsman fallacy when he was proven wrong about his false statement that there's "no Linux distro that's POSIX compliant." His response was "There's no Linux distribution I've ever heard of that's POSIX compliant, therefore I'm still right."

That's not what I call knowledgeable or non-retarded.

>Yeah, it's one of the few non-retarded places on Jow Forums where actually knowledgeable people discuss their passions.
So true

Now I need to learn how I install obsd on zfs

Even as a non-BSD user, I always enjoyed going to this thread occasionally and reading the mailing lists and man pages that the users link here, I almost always learn something new.

ZFS is, unfortunately, not going to be supported in OpenBSD due to licensing issues.
If you want ZFS, FreeBSD has excellent support for it.

I love this cope. I don't see the poster count increasing either, unless the same two people decide to start posting through proxies.

Oh :/
Well zfs is oracle.
So freebsd and openbsd use very different licence for not using zfs :/
There is an equivalent?

I was watching the thread not having posted yet and see your own attempts to cope, I couldn't resist

openBSD will probably implement Hammer2 whenever (if ever) that's finished

I don't know about equivalents since I don't need them, but FFS (the default file system) with soft updates is all I really need for desktop usage, unless you want ZFS' advanced features like snapshotting, FFS is going to work fine.

dragonflybsd.org/hammer/
HAMMER2 seems like an unstable project, it's still under active development, the standard keeps being updated every few years.

Has anyone tried the new Steam client yet? How's the experience?