2 usb 3.0
wifi
4k multiple moniutor support

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 40K)

Other urls found in this thread:

raspberrypi.org/magpi/raspberry-pi-4-specs-benchmarks/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yeees

is it fast enough to be desktop computer? I mean for web browsing it must be slow as sites are very bloated.

>ARM

Pretty good for a home server

should perform well enough for some light surfing,YT, and office stuff.
And emulation will improve too.

From what i have read they want to compete in the mini office pc scene.

Would this be a good NAS ?

I need something to hold movies and files and shit and I don't want to have a dedicated NAS using space in my wardrobe. I plan having it next to my router with ethernet and 2 USB SATA HDD. Also, I don't need 10Gb/s since I will only stream the occasional movie to my TV

Sure, but unless you gave usb 3.0 on those HDD's you dont need the rpi 4 for a NAS setup.
You can do it cheaper with the rpi 3.

Fast enough to be a phone. Which can already handle 99% of what average people use computers for. If your ma or pa are looking for a desktop then this is it

If USB 2, get a new $8 usb3 enclosure to dramatically improve speed.

For streaming video in real time it probably won't matter, but you'll probably get 3x the copy speed

>gigabit ethernet LAN
>2 usb 3.0
if they connected it through a hub like on previous rpis I swear to haruhi...

>desktop pc killer
>$55
I can buy a complete used sff shit PC for that price, and it would be more powerful than the pi4.
If you're going to use the pi as a desktop then just get a fucking desktop.

The Ethernet is separate from the USB now, so it should actually be true Gigabit now.

tell me a sff pc that's as small as the pi 4 and is powered off usb

also no intel ME since the CPU isn't by intel or even AMD

>as small
Why do you need a desktop to be as small as a pi?

Maybe. If it isn't good again, there are still the odroids and rock64pro and so on.

>1/10 the power of a low power i3
>desktop killer
ARM evangelists are a delusional bunch

>2 retarded requirements for a desktop pc
Why are these important?

Pi 4 has a USB socket for power, but you cannot power it from a USB port, only from a high-end charger delivering 2.5+ A.

Depends on your needs. It should work fine as a basic NAS with one drive, maybe two (I'm not sure if the USB ports can provide enough power), but there won't be any redundancy or SMART monitoring.

Odroid N2 is the king of SBCs right now

If only it had actual software support instead of a slapdash Ubuntu image.

bootloader is still botnet, so no Stallman approval

Already happened.
ARM smartphones dominated and replaced desktop/laptops for most personal computing, both in terms of total user time and device count they won.

Turns out most people don't need more processing power. Only a few users need some time to work or play on more powerful machines, but even they can mostly split part of their time to a low power box.

RPiZero 4 when?

Intel compute sticks exist, they go all the way up to Gemini Lake and powered by USB.
HDMI 2.0 10bit HEVC and VP9
2~6GB ram.

toaster ramlet
are you african?

not until broadcom makes a lower-power version of the cpu

But why buy an rpi4 to use as a desktop when old desktops already exist?

how about the bus speeds though

so you don't have 4 fans?

never dropping below 50 mph

Low power consumption and heat dissipation.
Enterprises are moving away from desktops in offices to having thin clients and NUCs that use less power. The RPi4 seems like a decent competitor in this market.

You don't need 4 fans on an sff at all.
The rpi4 isn't powerful, or cheap (after buying what you need to use it) enough to be a decent competitor.
I can go on eBay right now, and find an i5 desktop for around the cost of having a fully functional pi shipped.

Would this shit be good for nextcloud? I want to move away from dropbox and google drive.

is it $35? what do you even need to use it, an sd card and a usb cable?

>desktop pc killer
>gets stuffed in a drawer with the raspberry pi 3, 2, and 1's you got me memes into buying

Benchmarks

raspberrypi.org/magpi/raspberry-pi-4-specs-benchmarks/

Starts at $35.
4gb ram is $55, and you'll need
>sd card
>power
>case if you're not a savage
Doesn't really make much sense if you're just going to use it as a desktop. There's much better options for using as a desktop near that price point.
If you had other ideas then maybe I can see the point.

so $55-60 ain't bad for a light PC. its not cost effective for traditional pi uses like miniserver.

been happy with my rpi3 for small server related stuff.
but interested in getting this one too, as a light desktop to keep around.

How would emulation be on this thing? Should I get this over a shield?

Why is there a noticeable performance difference between 3A+ and 3B+? I thought "A" was the same as "B" but without the Ethernet/USB chip and sockets.

what kind of performance?

OP claims that the pi4 is a legitimate desktop replacement in comparison to what's available, and it's not.
Also an old desktop, or workstation would still be a better alternative as a server, because you would have less constraints from the hardware.

>doesnt make sense if you are going to use it as a desktop
What are you on about? What options are comparable in terms of size and cost as a portable desktop PC?

Attached: Capture.png (989x1089, 150K)

That's not the point of the RPi4. i5 desktops are being phased out in enterprise because they use too much power. The thin clients that are replacing them are powered by Intel Atom chips, which have less processing power than the i5s they're replacing. Thin clients are replacing these desktops because 100 TCs lead to a lower electricity bill compared to 100 Dell/HP i5 desktops.

Pi 3B+ has 1GB of RAM, while the Pi 3A+ only has 512MB.

>Also an old desktop, or workstation would still be a better alternative as a server

Only if your electricity is free, you have a closet to stuff it into so you don't hear the fans, and you don't worry about old capacitors.

A more proper alternative would be one of those passively cooled J1900-whatever ITX boards that you can find on sale or used for

>What options are comparable in terms of size and cost as a portable desktop PC?
>portable
Now a desktop has to be portable?
An sff will still fit inside your purse bitch, and a laptop is actually portable with battery, kB, and display. I could find one of those for under a $100 with a better CPU than the pi.

>4gb of ram
>desktop killer
Choose one.

>quad core and 4gb isn't enough to display web pages any more
We should nuke India.

Why the fuck do you need a portable DESKTOP pc user?

>Only if your electricity is free
How many years would it take the savings in electrical costs to even be a factor?
It's like you're just trying to force ways to make this shit practical when it isn't.

>constraints from hardware
have never ever ever ever ever been an issue for servers. what has been an issue is power consumption.

double the ram its no surprise

Limit yourself to 5 tabs and probably.

apparently it does most things well with the notable exception of streaming 1080p YouTube videos, where it utterly shits itself

>have never ever ever ever ever been an issue for servers
Has been an issue with raspberry pi's as servers though.
>muh power usage
Yea when your dealing with thousands of servers you dimwit.

A 50W garbage desktop running as a server 24/7 would cost me around 10c/day, or almost exactly the price of a Pi in one year.

do you have a source for this, I was going to use it as a media thing for my tv but that might be a deal breaker

Attached: grim.png (738x250, 70K)

>55-60
That's the starting point for the 1gb version unless you already have a 3 amp charger, storage and case.
And 1 gb is nigh-useless for light desktop stuff.

Intel NUC, Latte Panda.

Nope. Pis have always been murderized by their shitty overlapping i/o on the same bus cutting performance to like 1/8th of listed spec. An OG single core 700mhz machine is overkill for 99% of server tasks (combined). Power usage for an always-on machine you want low as possible with maybe an option for clocking up CPU under heavy load.

this exact problem is prevalent in previous models of the rpi, I wonder why that is

Why did they decide with the Videocore?
Such a nice CPU coupled with a dogshit GPU.

so what the fuck does the 4g cost? $5 for a 3amp usb charger and SD card are more than adequate, probably already-own items.

Raspberry Pis are becoming consumer tech garbage. They used to be cool toys you could learn programming with GPIO devices and now it's basically a streaming box without a case. You normie faggots ruined it.

Attached: pressf.jpg (800x450, 199K)

>10c/day
And that 50w garbage desktop could serve more than multiple raspberry pi while costing about the same as one.
MFW you'll probably end up with a cluster of pi just to do less with them.
>inb4 you spend a premium off of hats just to add sata ports

>serve more than multiple pi
no you literally can't use that much cpu if you try.

Except it's shit at being a streaming box
It doesn't have all the requisite hardware decoders you would want for a set top box and the CPU sure as shit isn't going to make up for it

>always on
>no ecc
Yea... I'm the pleb here.
Also
>derailed thread, because rpi4 as a desktop is just retarded

> $5 for a 3amp usb
What's your fire insurance?

Kill yourself btw.

Streaming box, emulator, whatever people use it for... It ain't coding anymore that's for sure

>games
>video
>TV
>audio
>files
I tried, and I can use more cpu, and than what the pis can provide.

I'd love to see how Android TV would perform on one of these. I don't have enough autism to actually use 4K so this might be the perfect all in one solution for streaming and simple emulation without having to deal with the Amazon or Nvidia jew.

The Pi 4 still has the GPIO pins on it. The APIs are still compatible with the new hardware. You can still use it for that purpose if you buy one, and you can buy the Pi Zero or an Arduino if you really want it to be just a microcontroller.

the standard is so completely broken at this point that 3a is the standard. every phone requires it, every device requires it, only the chinkiest chinks ship less.

>game SERVER
memory
>video
i/o
>TV
i/o
>audio
trivial, approximately 0
>files
i/o

Either it's not-server tasks or it's not-processing tasks.

>buying a pi when there's better SBC, and actual desktops available for the price

They use it because it's open sores. Did you really expect FOSS fags to live in 2019?

What I don't need to serve more? The point of using a Pi as a server is to have something small and quiet for non-demanding tasks. Previous Pi's didn't have too many use cases as servers due to the USB/Ethernet bottleneck, 4 should be useful for more.

You can operate GPIO in the same way on every Pi, I don't know what you're talking about.

Either the pi can, or can't do it.
In most cases the rpi4 isn't enough, and buying an actual desktop is better. Especially if you're planning to use it as a desktop in the first place.

>What I don't need to serve more
You're needs is the same as everyone else's?
You too shills really painted yourselves into a small corner in this thread.
muh desktop needs to be
>small
>portable
>USB powered
>only needs to be capable of small server jobs
The fuck even...

>In most cases the rpi4 isn't enough

>most cases

You do realize how incredibly rare it is to be running all that shit you listed all at once, right?

>anything broadcom
>opensource

Attached: 1557024603395.jpg (900x1000, 243K)

you seem to have jumped into this conversation thinking anyone cares about pi as a fully fledged desktop, suited for anyone but their grandma. If it doesn't have a GPU maybe /v/ should stay the fuck at home. If you don't want a GPU then you should aim for lowest power because nothing will tax your cpu.

>hurrdurr all people ITT are the same

I don't know why people want a "portable desktop" instead of a laptop, but Pi and related SBCs make excellent servers for non-demanding tasks like audio streaming, VoIP, DNS, etc. If Pi 4 actually removes the network bottleneck, it's gonna be fine for serving files too, in cases where you only want a single volume.

for your cyberdeck you shazbot

My legs are okay...

Rare for you I imagine, but you are the type to force a raspberry pi outside its limits, but within its capabilities just to shill them.
>lul I only run a single chron jerb to my offline WordPress page 24/7
Just fuck off already, retard.

very very few laptops run on USB power (like the teres)

>you seem to have jumped into this conversation thinking anyone cares about pi as a fully fledged desktop, suited for anyone but their grandma.
Maybe, because it's thread topic as stated in OP.

>isn't powerful enough
Compared to?
>cheap
Compared to? It's half the price of the nearest compute stick.
>i can find an i5 for around the cost of a pi
In a pocket sized platform? Because I'm impressed if you can but for a platform smaller than a smartphone, you are looking at the intel compute sticks, which range from £120 to £300 for a competitive design while using a basic bitch mobile i3 that isn't much, if any, faster than the Pi.
As for the price, you are looking at £48 for the PSU, a case and if you don't have a spare SD about, another £8 for 32GB. £56 all in for a hand sized desktop computer is a bargain for emulator fags, people who require high mobility or lightweight computing. The closest similar item not a Pi is the Intel Quadcore Compute stick thats £115/£120 so you are looking at twice the price for the equivalent device for the same purposes and goals.

512KB EEPROM running proprietary blob and a second blob on the SD card necessary to even boot-up... great. Where my freedoms at?

nobody ever listens to OP. Everyone uninamously agreed OP was a faggot and wrong like 10 posts in then started talking about cost effectiveness for server use.

> force a raspberry pi outside its limits, but within its capabilities
That doesn't even make any sense.

What's the difference between carrying around a 19V/1A power supply and a 5V/3A power supply?

>Pi and related SBCs make excellent servers for non-demanding tasks like audio streaming, VoIP, DNS, etc
And, so does old hardware. Some even come with ecc, but I reckon you might have to spend in the upwards of 200-300 for those with ecc.

Old hardware in the $35 range makes shit servers due to worn-out fans and dried-out caps.

well USB power supplies are ubiquitous and not-proprietary. I've got 2 powerbanks in my laptop bag now, on top of internal battery.

Does it support windows? External GPU?