/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s - best price/performance ultra portable
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate niggers swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: ThinkPad_X200_Libreboot.jpg (940x1000, 259K)

Other urls found in this thread:

libreboot.org/docs/install/bbb_setup.html
github.com/bibanon/Coreboot-ThinkPads/wiki/X200-X201-Hardware-Flashing-with-Raspeberry-Pi
newegg.com/p/1TS-000E-0AEY6
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Have a T480s with WQHD resolution, which desktop do you recommend me the best? Mate or XFCE?

windows 10 ltsc

Attached: DAD119D5-B7E7-4613-86BE-1D7180C7FD91.jpg (4032x3024, 3.01M)

cinnamon

I'm wondering how I fucked up my t480 and caused it not to turn on. I put in 2 x 8gb sticks, swapped the hdd for an ssd
Technician is arriving with a motherboard but I won't be at work to talk.

I've dealt with plenty of thinkpads second hand and never botched anything but when I swapped in the ram and ssd, it refused to power on, same when I swapped in the original stuff.

To my knowledge I did disable the internal battery via bios but I did only boot it up once to make sure it worked. I know its not a tech support thread but everywhere I asked just said call them - I did but still curious as to what went wrong

about to obtain an x250 i3,
what is the best distro

thinking of clover os / debian

8gigs ram and an ssd already present

will be used for programming and web browsing + writing. which one is the best? any option i should look into?

Attached: komi san.jpg (608x1424, 92K)

omg, why? what about linux?

Much better than mate or xfce?

xfce isn't actively developed anymore iirc
i feel that the ghost of gnome 2.x hurts mate too much. feels dated
cinnamon is very similar to win 10, but still a bit unstable or unintuitive in some places

what do you mean unestable? Usually crash or what?

Which one is more lightweight, cinnamon or mate?

>xfce isn't actively developed anymore iirc
that's bullshit, kys

Best older (as in 2012+) thinkpad that can max out 7th gen games and play 8th gen on low to mid settings?

I consider getting a X1 extreme Gen 2 when it gets released to be my mobile workhorse for the next 5+ years.

Tell me why i'm an Idiot...

You considered macbook pro 15 or dell xps 15?

Bought an i5 T430 for about 100€ shipped, but why are the i7 CPUs so fucking expensive? Is it worth spending the130€ for a 3840 from a chink on ebay?

When is libreboot coming to the x220? I heard it was almost ready a year ago.

I've had my x200 for 2 weeks now, where do i find good documentation on how to libreboot it, I've found a guide on reddit but the diagrams for soldering the raspberry pi doesn't make sense to me.

Also according to linux I cannot charge it beyond 52% for some reason; I'm thinking it is software related since the version of windows it came preloaded with displayed it battery as 100% when I first started it.

Attached: 1200px-Libreboot_logo.svg.png (1200x1200, 21K)

Libreboot's not trustworthy, use coreboot.

>she hasn't personally audited the libreboot source code

why, "cuz trannies"? If so, I don't really see why that should be a problem for me.

dilate

Which X200? You need to find out which flash chip you have, if you have a clip it should be easy, make sure you double check the data sheet to see you have it on the right way though.

have sex

How do you configure the trackpoint in arch?

Something updated and now my trackpoint is way harder and less sensible. But I've been in this install for months, I don't even remember if I did any config to the trackpoint.

Only X200t or S need soldering. You just need a 8-pin chip. Just read the documentation.

dilate

I believe I have an SOIC16 chip; or at least it seemed to be when I checked, I recall it having 16 pins.

see

have sex

Why should I not get an X1 Carbon?

If you like cool temps, no throttling, upgradeability and durability, don't get it

Xps 15 is full of problems and isn't even business tier

x250 is the most underrated ThinkPad

dilate

herp, i heard debain freezes up an shit, has that been resolved

Is it possible to change the wificard in the t430 to something that doesn't require proprietary blobs?

have sex

For easy flashing on the SOIC16 get a clip so you don't have to solder. libreboot.org/docs/install/bbb_setup.html
Check the diagram & make sure your pins match up. You can tell the orientation of the chip from the notch on the side.

Attached: 687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f4951493053686a2e676966.gif (550x388, 25K)

>Botnet

someone knows if the coreboot patch that disable lvds work only with nitrocaster board or if i can use it even with a chink fhd board?

Probably none. Most descrete gpu in thinkpads were Quadros not Gtx cards. They're business laptops, they were never built with games in mind.

Even the x1e(current Gen) uses a 1050 maxq which is the closest to your description.

Thinkpads weren't made for games, if you want something older and cheaper get a W530 with a k2000m and lower your standards.

I somewhat agree. They're pretty cheap while rocking a low power cpu and have the advantage of a battery bridge.

If I were to consider a nu-pad it would be the 50 series.

Would I be correct in assuming I can just copy the guide with a pi, or would it be simpler for me to get a bbb instead.

Gnome

Almost everything is soldered so you can't upgrade anything or replace defective hardware.

They're straight up ultra books with the only advantage being a track point. I'd probably consider an xps13 over a carbon.

fuck maybe I should post here instead. Mind the xpost from main Jow Forums.

X200 tablet. Fucking just straight-up yeets itself randomly. On a bench power supply it even stops charging the battery momentarily when it happens, like the power system just had a seizure.

Anyone seen shit like this before?

On AC or on battery, no reason, completely out of nowhere, POOF, just instantly goes dark and powers off. Usually when I'm typing something.

T-5 seconds: typing.
T-1 seconds: typing, all normal.
T-0 seconds: blackness, indicator LEDs turn off except for "AC" and "Battery".
T+5 seconds: me smash thinkpad.

This doesn't seem to be thermal (it isn't hot or stressed, fan is working), and or definitely isn't battery (it has a new battery and happens on AC or battery identically).

Possible relation to typing?

I can't f'n work like this when the thing powers off randomly multiple times a day... Halp pls

Attached: 1561499428438.jpg (4000x3000, 2.36M)

My X220 is cute! Cute!

Comfy with my P52

You can use that guide for setting up the clip but just make sure you match up the correct pins with the outputs on the pi. Cross reference that with the info on this one github.com/bibanon/Coreboot-ThinkPads/wiki/X200-X201-Hardware-Flashing-with-Raspeberry-Pi

Any t440p chads here? My bios version is at 2.24 (2014). Should I update it to the latest (2.52 - Jun 2019)? Is there any drawbacks? Only I know for sure is meltdown and spectre mitigations that supposedly slow down the CPU

Attached: thinkingbird.jpg (1024x768, 218K)

don't have sex

Cheers! I'll try that then.

>E580
Some reddit comments say the build quality of this is bad and I should get a T580
Is this correct?

All E, R and L series thinkpads have shitty build quality.

Only consider the X, T, W/P series Thinkpads.

You can always try getting a W/T430, upgrade CPU and go the eGPU route. There's videos of this working decently.

whats the most just werks distro for thinkpads (regarding the trackpoint and shit that could potentially break)

I've just installed a Broadcom CrystalHD video decoder in my x300
How do you enable it in windows 7?

Attached: take_the_hrt-pill.jpg (999x522, 106K)

i tried but your sister won't stop calling me

my sister is mine and mine alone

Attached: hick.png (231x218, 6K)

Whats the best thinkpad to play wow classic on?

Just bought an i7 X220 for $120 on ebay. It's in perfect condition except for the screen. Good price? Where would I go to get a new IPS screen?

yeah c-chad reporting in
laptop is still fucked from trying to mod in a new trackpad, subsequently causing damages to the pins and the mobo not being able to recognise the trapckad and trackpoint. So im waiting on a new mobo to arrive from chinkland

fucking a-alpha r-right

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-06-25 05-29-48.png (372x370, 133K)

Wtf m8. You fucked up really good there. How do you damage a motherboard by plugging in a new trackpad? Was it a Chinese knockoff? If it was, it would suck and I advise you to keep the original. The chink ones are a pain to find the right drivers and they dont support gestures

I have no idea, unplugged the old pag and put the new one in, it was lagging the fuck out so i turned everything off.
Next die tried plugging in the original pad and none worked from there on.
I got 1 more alps pad and 1 synaptic knock off to try + tried 3 different cables = nothing worked

I am the proud owner of a T61 that I got for dirt cheap; only thing is, since I put Linux Mint onto it, the VGA port won't work. It'll work if I plug the screen in with the PC off and then turn it on, but if I touch any settings I need to reboot. Any solutions?

Attached: 5984d52db7ad0.jpg (500x442, 126K)

I'm pretty sure it's based on he current bfa engine so Idk how older hardware handles it. I would probably grab a system with a dedicated gpu at least. Maybe the W530 with the k2000m and do a keyboard swap if you want the classic keyboard.

Xubuntu

Us Thinkpadders, amirite?

Holy shit, that sucks. You must have shorted something by accident or something. Try not to fuck it up next time with the new mobo

Attached: 1476820153929.jpg (571x720, 165K)

I bought a W540 and I want to do the full libre/coreboot thing with Linux, however I've never done computer except turning them on. Am I going to get myself in trouble trying this shit? I don't even know where to start.

Attached: takemitsu_huh.jpg (176x199, 8K)

>Was bidding on a good quality T520 last night
>Trying to snipe it last second for just above $100
>Five seconds left and fat-finger the keyboard typing $1098 instead of $109 for my max bid
>End up beating some other guy who set his max bid for over $170 and won it for $175

Wasn't wanting to pay quite that much, but glad I won.

Attached: 0.jpg (600x600, 40K)

E580 is literally a T580 but without the battery bridge thingy and sharp edges. People who say don't buy L or E serise have never tried them, they just repeat the same shit they heard without actual proof. Anyway I have both T580 and E580 and I'll take the E580 anyday.

This is the greatest thinkpad ever:
newegg.com/p/1TS-000E-0AEY6

>Change my mind

Windows 10 Enterprise

Manually configure with xrandr

yeah it fucking sucked because i did everything step by step literally by the pdf book

must have either
>pulled/pushed too hard on cable port and fucked a pin up or something
or
>shorted a connector by not unplugging the battery

dont be stupid like me kids, do everything step by step

I've had multiple thinkpads (T61, T400, T420s, T430, X220, X230) and I don't know why people hated on the new ones, I just got a T460p with a 100GB ssd, FHD IPS screen and 4gb of ram in mint condition for 170 bucks and it is just amazing (screen got a tiny malfunction that goes unnoticed), but fuck FHD IPS is just glorious, and a capable quadcore.

Fuck yeah

are the build materials the same?
why does OP consider it not the Real Business Experience

the only people who complain about new thinkpads are either poor neets or faggots obsessed about certain classic features especially the keyboard

That weak fucking piece of shit is worth about $30 at best nowadays, get real.

I honestly prefer the new keyboards desu.

I got a L380 for work and the personal T460p and the L380 feels a bit cheap, but I have never seen a X380 in real life, I don't think is a direct comparison either way.

Oh and this L380 comes with a 768p TN panel, which is a big slap on the face imo and contributes a lot with the cheap fealing.

just installed macos on this bad boy :^)

Attached: thinkpad%2520t420%2520%281%29__16398.1448905369.1280.1280.jpg (1280x1280, 480K)

any thoughts on t480? I use them at work and find them to be great laptops.

breddy gud

How's the project coming along?

I never seem to find any decent deals for used thinkpad within Australia.
Where am I suppose to look at?

Can someone do me a favor? Can someone please measure the height and width of the arrow keys in the modern thinkpads? A single key will do.

i want to trade my t480s to someone's t480.
t480 - i7, 32gb ram, 500gb ssd, 1080p
t480s - i7, 24gb ram, 500gb ssd, 1080p

which one has more value? how much should that party be paid more?

The t480s is technically more "premium". A similar specced t480s cost ~$100 more than a t480 new. Here that extra cost is covered by the extra 16gb ram stock(only 8 more). There's a bit more factors but each is subjective.

I'd say it's an about equal trade if both party's are okay with it. If there's a cost difference it isn't much especially after considering both are second hand at this point so the gap is smaller.

On personal note I would rather have the t480 for the larger battery capacity potential rather than the t480s faster charging.

If you're trying to crunch numbers just check ebay for similar specs and average the difference.

finna do the same bro, lets be idiots together

You prob shorted the ram

You shorted the ram obv. Even a shitty broken ssd is gunna let the computer boot.

go with arch, if you're too lazy to install use archlabs as their installer just werks

Attached: 810a7908d63d09c0fb6fb0f707464b28.png (938x1528, 885K)

what is the lightest new thinkpad that has a dedicated gpu?

X1 Extreme probably

I heard arch is easy to fuck up and its gonna be my first real time diving through loonix.
Not so sure i wanna break shit yet

Attached: 1561219491079.png (600x600, 104K)

Just use Xubuntu. If you feel like having fun and tricking normie, Elementary OS just werks but looks like Mac OS.

It's not cheap at all desu, better built than 90% of the laptops on the market just like t580 and it's way cheaper.

Go for it user if it's 200$+ cheaper

Some have mx150 or mx250

go wi9th debian if its your first time, debian is comfy. it jsut has a lot of outdated packages. You might wanna use buster or sid which are the testing distrods. they are still stable and ahve newer packages

Attached: sample-e7dbd51eeb9f2d510ec19fc04c0e57d0.jpg (850x1194, 466K)