What the point of using Docker?

What the point of using Docker?

Attached: 1*9hGvYE5jegHm1r_97gH-jQ.png (1240x992, 25K)

Not sure if deja vu or I'm spending too much time here.

Containerization.

>here's your statically linked OS bro

because runtime management is too hard for boot campers to figure out

Horizontal scaling of your system/application.

Static binaries for zoomers and nu-males.

Being used as a bitch for Kubernetes

Consistency of environment. Makes it easier to debug/test applications which get deployed to different machines. Integration testing can suck in complicated environments like AWS cloud.

Also some might say security. Since it doesn't allow access to the filesystem.

What's the point of kubernetes tho? Docker is cool, but Kubernetes is a fucking pita.

>some might say security
You are aware containierzation is one of the most insecure things you can do on a Linux kernel?

If you work at NASA and booting 2secs off of a VM is too long then containers are fine. In any other case its only boomers and idiots using Docker (i.e. ppl who use Windows/Mac and Brave/Waterfox)

I tried to make sense of it, but if you make “commits” to an environment you’ve configured, the size ballooons. So you have to do everything up front in two different retarded scripting formats and they get upset if you want literally anything else to run. LEMP stack? Lol 4 containers meng, and out everything on a shared volumes....
It’s lame.

Name one single advantage cucker containers have over amazon images.
I’ll wait.

install podman

Attached: bodme.jpg (816x345, 43K)

Agree bro whats with the hate towards my pall Docker? What ya use user VAGRANT?

I'd switch all my vagrant boxes if podman had a compose option and I was able to run containers under a virtualization layer. And no extra repo with so much stupidity like kata containers. And I wouldn't trust gvisor.
It would be the perfect setup.

so that an application can be distributed including it's required environment to run in
ie you can download, for example, a web application including a front end, back end, and database and make that turd run on any machine with a single command

It's deals with the "it werks on my machine" meme

Docker is free software

Reproducable deployments which can be used to scale your applications via container platforms.
I think most applications don't need it.

>What the point of using Docker?
Automated building of installers, packages and testing our driver on different distros and kernels without the restrictions of full virtualisation.

Let's take a second to appreciate the amazing loggo it has.

no point, use podman

I've worked in IT for over 15 years and this shit is amazing. Too many times have I stumbled into an environment where multiple people have had their hands in it, making little tweaks and changes here and there. Over time it gets really messy.

Containers fix that.

You don't make changes to the environment directly. Instead, whenever a change occurs, you redeploy from scratch (or whatever image you base yours off of). You completely nuke the old and stand up a fresh new environment each time. Containers give you a unit of deployment with an ecosystem to build your infrastructure components with. They're the basic block of infrastructure as code which gives benefits such as scalability and being able to check in your infrastructure into version control.

I can tell from your post the work you do has little meaning to you or anyone. Probably another sysadmin drone who still installs applications manually for small and medium businesses.

It’s also an extra layer for fuckups.
>docker networking
Kek

I too think I saw the same thread a few weeks ago

Thing is, there's a threshold of circumstances you have to reach where the number of potential fuckups it solves to make it worth it. If you are building anything that's scaling and planning to run it on prem, in cloud or otherwise be portable, containers will often be the preferred unit of deployment.

Easy as piss to setup, update and keep running services.