Gradle or Maven?

Which one should a Java programmer use?

Attached: 1559413402467.gif (293x440, 1.71M)

Gradle imho

What do those mean? What do they do?

Always Maven unless you're on Android. Also, please do the needful and shit in the street SIR.

Kind regards,
Pajeet Lakshama

whichever one is company standard

it's more than likely maven though

I'd gradle her maven if you know what i mean

This is probable the best answer. It doesn't really matter at the end of the day. They both work almost the same. I think they're both based off Apache Ivy too.

>.gif

Gradle. I see so many Maven based projects migrating to gradle, but never ever any Gradle projects that migrate to Maven.
I wonder why that is.

They're build tools for Java. Basically anything professional written in Java uses one or the other.

What is a build tool? I always thought everything made with Java was just coded in Java and compiled to a .class file

A build tool is something that produces build artifacts of some kind, in the case of a Java application, that could be an executable .jar file or something.
You'll probably have more steps when dealing with a language like C or Haskell, but even in Java context, a build process could include creating a Docker image that includes that freshly built .jar and pushing it to some image repository. All of those can be configured as "build steps" which are then executed by the build tool once you tell it to build your project. Those kind of tools are especially interesting if you have branching build pipelines, e.g. if you only want to execute the "build a Docker container" step if you specify that you're building for a production environment and so forth.

tl;dr a build tool is something that does the same thing a build script does but is more maintainable and has some built-in abstractions

>I thought programming was simple
If only you knew how bad things really are

Maven then gradle

Real programmers use Makefiles to curl their dependencies and to call javac.

That's fucked up.

my tits also jiggle whenever I laugh :(

what do you wanna do ?
Create Hello World in Eclipse and upload it to your very first repo in order to understand how this works ?
-> Maven
Or do you actually want to work on something that will have a complexity of more than 3 functions ?
->Gradle

also
>Java

Attached: 1559295314088.jpg (800x486, 345K)

>oh you need gradle version x+1 to continue
>sowy, this shit only works with gradle version x
gradle version requirements fucks everything up
maven is my goto. its might be a bit slower on average specially to parse the local repository and shit but at least it works

same

Glavin

Attached: Professor-Frink.jpg (490x400, 35K)

imagine being so braindead that you cant figure out make or bash so you create a lobotomized shell language with 50000 dependencies taking up 39 GB of disk and requiring internet connectivity and user registration in order to build your so badly broken code in a way that it replicates cross compatibility by wrapping everything in an entire OS that runs on some other OS which runs on a hypervisor which actually runs on a computer somewhere