X.org is deprecated

>blogs.gnome.org/uraeus/2019/06/24/on-the-road-to-fedora-workstation-31/
>Once we are done with this we expect X.org to go into hard maintenance mode fairly quickly. The reality is that X.org is basically maintained by us and thus once we stop paying attention to it there is unlikely to be any major new releases coming out and there might even be some bitrot setting in over time.
install wayland

Attached: waylando.png (768x768, 136K)

Other urls found in this thread:

old.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/ap5k2j/wayland_misconceptions_debunked/
github.com/ammen99/wf-recorder
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Wayland will be a meme until it works on all gpus ootb.

sway, kde plasma, gnome, enlightment (meme)
what else is implementing wayland? lxqt?

lol bitrot

btw steam doesn't work on wayland so its useless.

You can run everything under XWayland. That dev that valve is sponsoring is going to do a lot to bridge the rest of the issues. For the rest is a matter of more protocols being standardized and implemented. The rest of that blog post is very informative.

I'm high sorry

>gaymes
piss off you fat fuck

Works on my machine.

Attached: steam.png (1920x1080, 1.06M)

>lxqt
sure, it will be ready by 2029 along with way-cooler and xfce5

Fuck Wayland. I'm not switching window managers.

nothing works on wayland

wayland is a kernel

lmfao no you can't Nvidia proprietary drivers don't work.

faster if you don't use xwayland, you are emulating X11 in wayland, I mean, why lol.

F U C K
U
C
K

W A Y L A N D
A
Y
L
A
N
D

>blah blah blah takes time blah blah
just get it done, no excuses. jesus christ.

>old.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/ap5k2j/wayland_misconceptions_debunked/
fud btfo

Attached: wm.png (752x3520, 563K)

>MUHHHHHH GAMEZZ!

Filtered.

Shit, games are even faster and more likely to work as intended on Windows. Why even use Linux for games besides emulators?

>If an interested developer wants to help...
red hat plays this game but are fucking liars who won't listen to anyone

>wayland, pipewire, flatpack
>mir, pulseaudio, snap
>xorg, alsa, appimage
this is why desktop linux is a joke, why the fuck would anyone target such a volatile platform?

Attached: standards.png (500x283, 24K)

that's a sway maintainer
>b-but he secretly works for ibm
>b-but I was talking about the other thread
>b-but wayland is a redhat honeypot
>b-but muh games
>n-no u

use a library retard

>wayland, pipewire, flatpak
the future
>mir
wayland won, project changed focus now
>pulseaudio, alsa, jack
pipewire, if successful, will be compatible with them and fix low latency audio at the same time
>snap
like every canonitech it will be deprecated, history will repeat itself as always
>appimage
no sandbox, no guarantee of working, a fucking joke
>xorg
already working in wayland and getting better every day, including fixing long standing issues that will benefit even people that don't plan on using wayland
people from the industry already said a lot of good things about, including one of the mozilla guys saying it's as good as windows and macos', and that android/x11 sucks balls

What non legacy hardware, other than high end non gaming cards, don't work with Wayland rn?
Genuinely curious

BE/Ret4rded

>wayland doesn't work with nvidia hurr durr
eat that ncock you fucking retards
they're making it difficulty for everybody because that leather jacket cunt has some god complex
they almost bankrupted a company i used to work just out of spite

i thought you were better than this ubuntu

Like usual novideo has to be a pain in the ass. Nouveau is hot fucking garbage but not really their fault. Anyone using linux should avoid using novideo at all costs.

>pipewire, if successful, will be compatible with them and fix low latency audio at the same time
Imo, no one will care about audio on linux unless there are drivers for a hardware.

I am a developer for wlroots and am familiar with the Wayland ecosystem as a whole. I've posted here a bunch of times before; No, I'm not Drew.

I don't really have much to say other than is a dumbass, but I'm open to answering some questions.

Attached: 1538030883202.jpg (400x400, 40K)

Does weyland give more fps in games vs xorg on an nvidia card

Based

Listen to . Throw that pile of shit out.

pipewire takes care of video too but to answer your dumb comment, unless you're deaf you will benefit from a sane audio stack
if anything it might even fix wine crackling and virtual machines that tend to break all the time
pipewire is also a way to have proper audio and video sandbox that is vital for things like firefox and flatpak

No since your gayms won't work at all.

Is wayland pootering ware free?

Wayland has absolutely nothing to do with systemd.
However, systemd does provide a very useful service with logind, which allows Xorg and Wayland compositors to run without root privileges. I highly recommend people use logind (or elogind), but as far as I know, only GNOME has it as a hard dependency.

Call me when official Nvidia drivers support Wayland

send an email to your nvidia representative

make sway for mousetards

I've considered writing an openbox-like or even an XFCE-like wayland compositor before, but I'm too busy doing other shit. But it's also hard to get motivated to write something you don't even particularly want to use. I just think that kind of WM is currently lacking in the Wayland ecosystem at the moment.

>YEAR OF THE LINUX DESKTOP GUYS
lol

What's missing exactly? Proper window switching with focus? Adding something like swaytitlebar? rofl

You can use sway fine with the mouse, but it's still a tiling window manager.
Not everyone wants to use those.

>supported by a strong majority
>there are two approaches to this endorsed by different camps
>just about every client and compositor work together
>supported by nearly all
>deep contention in the Wayland ecosystem over this matter
>now fairly broadly supported
>a protocol which addresses everyone's concerns is theoretically possible
>adoption has been slower
This is my current fear as a user. We're going from "X has this feature" to "some compositors use this protocol, and some use this, and btw Gnome decided not to support either one". But as a dev I can't fault anyone for moving away from X. The maintenance burden is just too big, and if its maintainers want to move on, like the OP said, there's basically no one who's going to step up and take care of it.

Gnome are a biggest cunts when it comes to cooperating with anybody else.

Well it's already happening with the footfags and their fetish for client side decorations.

>reasons why windows is successful

based tripfag btfo

Snap pretty much won. Flatpak is extremely far behind in development and I doubt it will catch up. It's also partially Red Hat's fault for not wanting to use Flathub or their own upstream maintained repository which is Snap's biggest selling point.

Attached: .jpg (731x674, 283K)

What did he mean by this.

How's KayDE plasma on wayland nowday

GNU/Wayland

Broken as always

So it's broken piece of shit that requires cooking in an oven for 5-10 years

F U C K
U
C
K

W A Y L A N D
A
Y
L
A
N
D

>gnome
REMINDER that mutter is shit and makes scrolling in firefox shit and shits on your frame rates and adds minor stutter to any video you play AND this will NEVER be fixed, enjoy it

>enlightment
>meme
e has the best gayland support

control + alt + F3
there, you can start your xorg

have you noticed this also remind people they don't have to run wayland for everything

wayfire

I'm aware of wayfire. That is not a minimal 2d compositor; it's all about the 3d effects, which many people will see as unnecessary or as bloat.

I do not share any code with Mutter. Our graphics handling code is completely different, so I cannot comment on theirs.

no i meant have you seen those shit in gnome if you use it that is

pls don't make complicated wm with many options like openbox, do something simple that just works like i3 but floating

If you really want something stripped down, go with weston.
But the fact it's so stripped down is why it doesn't work as a proper "desktop-oriented" compositor. It never really took the desktop as a serious goal.

If you use any of X's extra shit (xterm, xdotool, xbindkeys, xkb...), wayland is not an option

>go with weston
i did for some time, it just needs window tasks in the panel and a little touch on the non gtk3 window frame colors

>xterm
It's a basic terminal emulator. Wayland terminal emulators are a dime a dozen, and even if you wanted to use xterm for some stupid reason, it'll work through xwayland.
>xdotool
Compositor-specific. Normal clients don't get to fuck with inputs.
But creating a virtual evdev device would probably be the way to go, and the compositor will just use it like a normal input device.
>xbindkeys
Also compositor-specific. Nobody wants to add this to wayland, as it's next to possible to add it without allowing clients to become keyloggers.
In sway, it's just another line in your config.
>xkb
Every compositor I'm aware of uses xkbcommon. It's just a matter of how the xkb options are advertised through their own config.

>not running Wayland/Weyland(/Yutani)
Have fun being deprecated

Attached: 1479070579594.png (633x535, 702K)

>linux is too volatile, they're phasing out software from 2004!
Oh no, how can a js artisan manage to make a opengl cube in mere 15 years

>snap won
sure buddy

>basedland

>The reality is that X.org is basically maintained by us and thus once we stop paying attention to it there is unlikely to be any major new releases coming out and there might even be some bitrot setting in over time.
Holy mother of god, this is some next level arrogance.

>Snap pretty much won.
Won what? The Special Olympics?

It is rather arrogant to say they maintain X. But in reality, there really is nobody who is interested in developing or maintaining it seriously.

>But in reality, there really is nobody who is interested in developing or maintaining it seriously.
There will be if the gnome faggots drop it. Especially from the BSD community. I'm 100% sure the openBSD people would never touch wayland even with a 10ft pole.

The BSDs are so laughably behind when it comes to any of this stuff. They won't do shit.
I don't know you would bring them up as even being remotely relevant.

Attached: 1541581652358.png (488x488, 291K)

>It's also partially Red Hat's fault for not wanting to use Flathub or their own upstream maintained repository which is Snap's biggest selling point.

The main reason why I use snap.

> doesn't address performance of accelerated graphics from virtualized clients
> uses words like "why tou heff to be mad?"
I really really want wayland to be good. I don't like that open source software is like a retarded-bastard-child of 80s research software, but I am losing faith.
> people ... instead of showing up to put the work in
I don't get paid for this shit, I'd gladly do the work if I got something in return. It is not really a reward for me to build a replacement for something that already works. That is a waste of time. Imagine I have a drill, and you have this new device meant to replace drills. It drills, and it hammers! But for it to drill a philips head screw I need to build my own bits because your drill isn't compatible with any existing philips bits. All I care about is drilling some fucking screws, not making the bits for the drill. I could design them and make them if I had to, but I already have a working drill that's compatible with pretty much every drill bit you can find. Why would I use your "drill-hammer"? Even if it's more efficient to use, the barrier to entry nullifies any benefits I'd recieve from switching.

>still no desktop recording
>no performance nvidia drivers
Yeah, I'll just stick to X for now.

It's not like X is "in development" it has been around for fucking ever. Most of the components shouldn't change much, the only thing should be driver improvements.

I would definitely expect *BSD programmers to pick up X if linux developers seriously stop putting effort into it.

nobody cares about your desktop weeb also this
github.com/ammen99/wf-recorder

why though?
Wayland is much more secure than x

How about the massivee gapinghole Xserver brings to any install?

>> doesn't address performance of accelerated graphics from virtualized clients
This has nothing to do with Wayland. This is purely a driver issue.
Also, you clearly don't seem to understand the sheer amount of pain that is developing for X.
X is an ancient shit-heap and nobody wants to work on it. At some point, you eventually need to get rid of the legacy trash.
Wayland has also made a lot more use-cases actually possible. Wayland is already being used in automotive applications and things like set-top boxes. Imagine actually trying to force X into that siltation.
Only desktop-class GPUs are capable of hiding all of the terrible flaws in X, simply by being fast enough. That doesn't apply to ARM SOCs.

You know what else is an ancient shit-heap? Terminals. Yet here we are in 2019 and everyone is still using terminal emulators.

No one is getting rid of X.

What's your alternative for terminal emulators. Go ahead. I'll wait.

Wow, you really are a stupid fuck that hates all progress, aren't you?
Whatever; enjoy banging your rocks together.

>Terminals
I don't see anybody seriously trying.

>No one is getting rid of X.
Except they already are. Desktop adoption was always going to be slow, because it takes time to remove a 30+ year old incumbent. As I already mentioned, Wayland already completely dominates non-desktop Linux graphics roles.

>computers should stop using code
Terminals are just text editors in execution mode, fuckwit

I'm using gnome Wayland with the official Nvidia drivers and it works fine, also use it on various generation of Intel igpu in laptops and it also works fine with those

X is jist better than Wayland for so many reasons.
>Wayland has no leightweight stacking WM like openbox
>Wayland forces client side decorations (fuck the foot people for pushing this)
>X sounds cooler and takes less time to say/write than Wayland
>X is probably less taxing on CPU and RAM

Jow Forums btfo

>>Wayland forces client side decorations (fuck the foot people for pushing this)
Fucking really?

So what does this mean, is Xorg now useless since wayland takes over the display server scene? I heard xorg is a fucking mess and it is shit built ontop of shit for so long but I don't actually know if its true or just meme speak that people blab about.

Besides, how stable is wayland right now?

Why is it so hard for the Linux Foundation to release their own OS like macOS?

If mac could do it 15+ years ago, why can’t the entire free software community? Ubuntu or fedora are not even close with all the cruft they have

>>Wayland forces client side decorations (fuck the foot people for pushing this)
The default is CSD, but there is an extension protocol which turns server-side decorations on, which most toolkits and compositors support.

he meant
>this man is delusional

You fundamentally misunderstand Linux if you think there should be one "official" distro.
Also OSX is just hacked together Linux + BSD code.

he means kernel to which the answer is gnu+hurd, which is a valid question as to why its fuckin dogshit and unusable