Linus Torvalds Sees Lots of Hardware Headaches Ahead

devops.com/linus-torvalds-sees-lots-of-hardware-headaches-ahead/

Linux founder Linus Torvalds, today at the KubeCon + CloudNative + Open Source Summit China conference, warned attendees that managing software is about to become a lot more challenging, largely because of two hardware issues that are beyond the control of DevOps teams....

>1) Steady Stream of Security Patches is PITA for the Kernel

>2) Code reoptimization in the light of Moore’s Law death

Attached: 4d6ead5195a44c4699265aade6d0648a_ac5d11ec61eec7b97d2d00f12cb45004.jpg (280x392, 50K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.winehq.org/Preloader_Page_Zero_Problem
lwn.net/Articles/360312/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Translation: the Day of the Flush is coming, when throwing more pajeets at a problem and waiting for hardware to catch up is no longer a viable strategy.

>Short of disabling hyperthreading altogether to eliminate reliance on speculative execution

Attached: NLDugGD.jpg (645x729, 34K)

Linux is getting constantly bigger and more resource intensive. Soon they will drop 32-bit architectures. System D is expanding in scope too. Meanwhile they make the base system a bit smaller with better code in OpenBSD.

Linux is finished.

Attached: 6D6D8CD1-6A43-4737-AA48-8F90B018B6A8.jpg (1080x1350, 111K)

Based.

Just compile it yourself faggot

the girl is soe gschwind

No, I have one machine with a legacy Linux install. I have replaced it otherwise, completely.

Attached: 8ED069B9-6B39-4A81-B5AE-2074CFE25162.jpg (3024x4032, 1.51M)

Any source for your claims?

A little bird told me about the 32 bit thing. But if you’re smart you can already find clues.

Attached: FC913545-B2EE-4BBB-8E0F-1A865AEC81FE.jpg (474x273, 101K)

OpenBSD has shit performance. I'd rather have intelligent programmers maneuver around issues while still delivering a product rather than just throwing your hands up and quitting.

No, I need a source for all your lies. If you fail to provide them you will forever remain a bsdcuck.

Enjoy your rooted system kiddo. All it takes on Linux is one JavaScript ad.

I was told by somebody intimately involved. 32-bit will be dropped from the kernel soon. You can just wait for it to happen, it’ll happen very very soon now.

Wow I am so scared.

>2) Code reoptimization in the light of Moore’s Law death
Thank Christ the Redeemer. This shit has gone on long enough.

Reminder: Transmeta dude, know shit

I was told by Theo himself that he will be including a cryptominer on every install.

Oh fantastic, I can't wait for everyone to sweat their asses rewriting the same code over and over ad nauseam. What a complete waste of time.

>OpenBSD has shit performance.
soon linux will too. there is no workaround to hyperthreading being a mess of a jew scheme to pump cpu speed knowingly omitting security.

>he

this; it's because linus HATES bug fixes and clean ups if they break something used by someone

Well... guess the pajeet oriented programming paradigm is dead.

Can we go back to manage memory manually again?

A good evidence of that is how he still allows apps to map their own page 0 (which is a security-risk), just because WINE needs it.

Attached: 1552062801587.jpg (720x1080, 600K)

Don’t worry you won’t have to wait long...

basically we're returning to the 80s scheme.
Central servers and terminals.
That's what the cloud infrastructure is, after all.

What it means is that x86 architecture is slowly dying. Something else will come at a point, and it's a cycle as with everything in life.

Does WINE need it because Windows needs it?

wiki.winehq.org/Preloader_Page_Zero_Problem

Year of the openbsd desktop when ?

lwn.net/Articles/360312/

You're full of shit. Debian will keep 32bit for many years still and this came out of a Dev not your imaginary informant.

You wouldn't be rewriting the same code if you had written it properly the first time, brainlet.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 62K)

Go back to plebbit kike

>CPUs reaching 16 cores for consumers
>Programs still using whole overload in first core
When will this problem be solved and what is stopping them mitigating to different cores?

have you ever tried to write parallel code? it's extremely painful

>When will this problem be solved and what is stopping them mitigating to different cores?
not all code works in parallel and that will never change no matter what you do

luckily an invisible fairy who i'll never meet writes that code, so i don't have to worry about it

consumers usually just think "just split it between the cores it's so simple" but in a lot of cases it's like trying to do all the steps of baking a cake at the same time. if you have 16 people working together you still need to do all of the steps of baking a cake in order, you can't have the cake baking the same time it's being iced the same time the flour is being made etc. sometimes there are ways to do steps at the same time but it often requires quite substantial methodology changes and is very far from being straightforward.

4u

nine women can't deliver a baby in one month

Aren't millionaires in silicon valley supposed to be super intelligent who write code in their sleep?

Nigga just get each person to bake 1/16th of the cake each it's that simple.

It doesnt matter how intelligent you are
like he says, nine women can't deliver a baby in a month
some problems are parallel, some problems are simpler if serial but can go parallel at a complexity cost, some problems are serial
ALOT of siginficant problems are serial

Based

is this... HyperThreading (TM)?

super intelligent coders aren't really working in silicon valley on consumer software, they tend to work for places like trading firms or on research. nowadays people don't prioritize well written code and it's one of the reasons the hardware plateau is going to be painful. people just don't write very good code anymore, they got used to hardware making up for them and instead just kept bloating with features. most code is pretty low quality and very few people understand optimization except in special cases.

I was scared pajeetcode was going to be here indefinitely, but this hardware plateau, be it temporarily or permanently, might solve the problem

based linus makes his kernel useful

Based reader of the Mythical man-month

how does he find time when he's filming one video a day or something like that

man that sounds fucking awesome i love this guy
fuck security people i hope they get locked in a freezer

Maybe stuck on an old kernel.