Is Ubiquiti a brand to consider or it's all just mass scale shilling? Been looking at upgrading my access points...

Is Ubiquiti a brand to consider or it's all just mass scale shilling? Been looking at upgrading my access points, and online it's nothing but recommending Ubiquiti APs nonstop. However looking at the specs I really don't see much that makes them stand out from TPLink EAPs or Cisco Merakis for instance.

Attached: ubiquiti_networks_uap_ac_pro_5_unifi_ap_ac_1184037.jpg (2500x2500, 122K)

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/g/thread/S71592217#p71594453
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

My experience setting these bastards up was infuriating. I have a static IP. When I hooked up a new gateway, the fucker said it needed an update before I could set it up. However, it wasn't getting Internet because I couldn't set it up. I had to use a middle router in order to use DHCP to update the fucker first and then get to the point of setting up my network. Everything has been working great since.

They do the job well enough and are kinda cheap plus you don't have to pay for the management console like other brands.

Which one are you using? I'm currently debating between the Unifi AC Pro and the TPLink EAP245. From what I'm finding, the Ubiquiti controller is older, and so more feature rich, but the 245's hardware is slightly superior. Also the TPLink is a few €s cheaper.
I'm already somewhat seasoned on networking, and don't need an idiot proof management, but if the Unifi controller is as good as they say, I might consider still going with it, although it seems it would lock me to a full Ubiquiti environment.

I've been installing and selling Ubiquity products for over 5 years now. It's not the best, but like someone said, it get's the job done with a free controller. Simply can't beat that. It's good enough. I also like the "smartness" of the controller.

I just checked our controller and we're currently managing 180 sites. Not products, sites.

they are rock solid stable once configured
but unifi controller is retarded java crap

i am actually talking about unifi AP
their other products seems to be more normal with web interface

I have AC-HD and nanoHD and I believe nanoHD is all you need

It's extremely easy to setup, no router required, this guy
Is an idiot

Yep all you do is get them setup and uninstall the management shit forever

overpriced crap. the apple of routers

warosu.org/g/thread/S71592217#p71594453

There actually really nice if you know how to use the software.

how do you upgrade though? this is actually a problem because you can't get back to the router without resetting them if you don't save the keys that the software generates

Chink shit marketed as gold. Anyone have the image of a unit where the onboard storage is literally a flash drive plugged into the PCB?

Attached: 2edc4e50-61ae-4e5d-81c0-baab1068d8a1.jpg (2000x1500, 289K)

better opportunity for modding and maintenance when compared to soldered chips though?

Attached: 40774783-A1FA-40D8-9DC2-516033C72934.jpg (1600x833, 601K)

imagine that some retards still buying overpriced cisco garbage

Their APs and bridges are great unless you have a really specialized use case. Their switches and firewalls are okay but not great. If you don't want to deal with the shitty java manager and have a bunch of APs, buy a CloudKey.

Ubiquiti is the McDonalds of enterprise networking.

Buy Mikrotik instead.

Why would you not set up each person with their own controller via a cloudkey or something

>having to use wine just to configure a fucking router.
lmao

just ssh into them braindead

just get mikrotik + tp-link AP

>or Cisco Merakis for instance.
been using Aruba for almost 3 years now. They are releasing a new family of products that you can easily setup and manage.

lookup for "Aruba Instant On"

Attached: chrome_2019-06-26_19-24-39.png (1326x624, 994K)

Ever server I deal with uses an internal usb to home VMware....so...

seems cost effective to me

>$50 gigabit router with 90% of enterprise features
>$80 802.11ac AP with multi-SSID, VLAN, etc.
>overpriced
u wot

What you have to understand is how big an upgrade they are over this shit, and yet they require very little more knowledge to set up.
I'm running a single UAP-AC-LR and it replaces a router/extender setup that never worked well with a rock-solid connection throughout the house and over to a detached garage/apartment.
It's a better quality connection on the other end of the house than it used to be right next to the Netgear router. (Even though the speeds at this distance are lower it's a steadier connection, and a solid 15Mbps beats 50Mbps that hangs every two seconds.)

If you already have enterprise gear then you may not see much difference. Ubiquiti is just cheap, easy, and it works really well, which makes it easy to recommend to anyone, while other enterprise gear would make most home users throw up their hands in frustration.

Attached: 31gZejPMwqL._SX425_.jpg (425x377, 10K)

Ubiquiti is good and cheap and provides a lot of features. It's not really enterprise gear and I wouldn't put it into production in a medium or large business, but for home networks, home lab, or a small business setup they're great. They're also a good low-cost alternative to going overkill with true enterprise gear if you've got a lot of small sites that you need to manage. As I said though, I wouldn't put it in a large office with hundreds of users or anything like that. If you're in that position go with Cisco or Juniper or some other name brand, don't fuck around.

This is exactly how every VMWare host I have ever dealt with has been set up. There is nothing wrong with this.

Mikrotik for routing, Ubiquiti for Wi-Fi.

Windows doesn't have this problem.

>buying latvian hardware

Attached: kyle.png (229x378, 177K)

If you can't afford Ruckus, then get Meraki. If you can't afford Meraki, then get MikroTik. If you can't afford even that, then stick to what you have.

the middle router was either statically configured or dhcp'd. seems like your fuckup.
is that the web controller/server or did you use the standalone package?

USG is not worth it, especially current gen, but uap-ac-pro are reasonably cheap, and work reliably.
Switches work, but don't expect any fancy stuff like dynamic routing on them.

So in the end I decided to go with the EAP245 instead. TP-Link is easier to find than Ubiquiti over here and a fair bit cheaper than the AC-Pro (110€ against 150 for the UB). The Omada controller seems to be still a bit less developed than the Unifi, but the AP also has a WebGui if I still want to set it up standalone, and as far as I could find Ubiquiti doesn't, it's either controller, cloud key, or bust.
Also it seems people recommend sticking to just the TP-Link's 225 and 245, all of their other AP's are apparently hot garbage, even the 300 series.

The switch is still up in the air. It will share connections with my homelab, so I need something with good vlan management (which was another point for TP-Link over Ubiquiti, UB APs fall behind on vlan tagging, not sure if it still applies on newer firmware). On this one I might go for used enterprise equipment instead. Over at work I have good experience with HPE equipment, way more robust than their consumer garbage, might go that route.

Attached: eap245_1.png (800x600, 140K)

I actually really love them.
I've used expensive TP-link APs, mikrotik firewalls, zyxel firewalls, apple memeports, and now I have a USG-pro setup with unifi ap's and I love the whole system.

zyxel firewall:
unnecessarily complicated to configure. I was able to do everything I wanted, it just took much more time.
Also it's firewall througput was capped at around 400Mbps, which was the thight spot in our network.

TP-link APs: not as stable with 20+ clients, pretty fast but not as fast as unifi APs

apple memeport: joke category, I had to use two because one of the owner loves apple.

mikrotik: no bullshit, everything is configurable. Not that user-friendly, but has all of the features and some more. Pretty fast too.

unifi:
extremely easy to set up, easy to add new APs and switches, or replace any part, the controller collects very useful data, it's reliable. Firewall throughput is 1Gbps+.

Got a switch and AP, just waiting for their ax/wifi6 AP version

Their AP's are great but I prefer pfsense for routing

don't you have to pay for a management key?