/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Do not dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1492381906749.png (800x800, 79K)

Other urls found in this thread:

spyware.neocities.org/articles/browsers.html
patreon.com/annulen
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

first for chromium

GENTOOMEN

Attached: 1550633676839.jpg (770x578, 44K)

it's open source

I want to be a friendly Linux user too

Should I install Arch or Void?
Void has a smaller base but I just don't want to to update everyday. Miniimum once every two months.

And botnet.

Gentoomentoomen

Attached: 1534306941739.jpg (1280x720, 137K)

How is the Otter Browser?

spyware.neocities.org/articles/browsers.html

install gentoo

Is Jow Forumsuix the Jow Forumsentoo killer?

No only those two interest me!

i already switch from gentoo to guixsd

Why not love both?

Attached: 1519177871350.jpg (1930x1698, 270K)

How minimal is Void compared to Slackware? I know Void has a package manager, but other than that how big is the difference?

I'm doing it soon.

Did you fall for the minimal meme?

Void is rolling distro too it has updates almost every day. If you don't want to update every day your only options is something like debian, of course if you want you can update any rolling release distro whenever you want but sometimes this creates some problems.

Hey guys I'm new to Jow Forums and I'd like to try linux on an Acer Aspire V17 Nitro. I already tried ubuntu earlier on another computer but I am looking for something more... minimalist and lightweight, I mostly watch movies, listen to music and sometimes play 2 or 3 games. Arch Linux clearly seems too complicated for me but my brother suggested Debian, however I've had several issues when trying to install it, I've read there were troubles with the newer Acers.

So can you guys help?

how do I stop distro hopping? Arch has everything I need but I want to install gentoo

Not until it gets USE flags and a larger repo.

No. I would be using Crux, but the installer freezes with an underscore after GRUB.

Define "minimal". Low RAM usage? Less disk space? Fast performance?

By getting a used laptop and use only that to distrohop when you have free time.

All of the above. I want something that's vanilla without extra added levels of abstraction that gets in your way like most distros. As I said in Crux fits the bill, but the installer doesn't work on my UEFI only and Nvidia Optimus laptop.

I've read people updating Arch 1 a month and no problems.
It's just I wan tto leave windows BECAUSE of these forced updates and looking at Arch it seems to be even worse.

The vast majority of the packages in the AUR package manager are not audited. It's a security nightmare and ricers ignore that.

How should I go on about making my computer have only one video output but I want one to override the other. I got 2 HDMI's on my motherboard and I want one to always be plugged in but if I plug in the second one the first one should just go black and the second one should be the new one directly. Any ideas?

pretty much doing that already with my old laptop

As I said you can update it whenever you want. I update once or twice a month and I do not have any problems for a long time but it can happen.

Ok, in that case something like Void would fit the bill overall. I played around with it for a week or so and it seemed alright. It has a small default installation and packages are reasonably split.
I ask because some distributions, such as Gentoo, can be either minimal or bloated depending on your definition: it does have lower memory usage overall when compared to equivalent setups on other distributions, but it does take more disk space, as it keeps the sources by default and installs build dependencies too. Plus, the default installation *needs* a C compiler and a Python interpreter, something that isn't in other distributions.
As for me, I don't care about disk space usage, so Gentoo is fine. After all, the reason I like it is the package manager, not minimalism 'n' sheit.
We really need to use more accurate terms instead of "minimal" in order to better understand each other.

Arch updates are a lot more frequent that windows, but they're snappy as fuck and unnoticeable really.

Circular dependencies in Portage turned me off from Gentoo. The space the distro takes up doesn't really bother me. My end goal is to minimize the attack surface though.

Then you will want something without systemdick.

Epic

Why does Linux (yes, the kernel) have a web server build in?

Why didnt Jow Forums tell me how comfy vm’ing using an external ssd was for basic work? Great for a mobile work only vm that I can swap between laptop and desktop at will without needing to sync files and all that.

If you don't wait to update for like half a year, Arch is fine. You should do a full update whenever you install a package tho.

Still Chrome based. Their goal was to be like Opera before they became a Chrome skin, but instead they just made another Chrome skin.

Your problem with debian is probably that you need nonfree (free as in freedom) drivers, which aren't in debian's default repositories.
>Arch Linux clearly seems to complicated
It really isn't. Just follow the instructions on the wiki and it will end up just werking. The main difference between Arch and Debian netinstall is the package manager (pacman is better) and the age of packages (cutting/bleedig edge in Arch and a decade old on Debian)

Attached: image:77074.jpg (300x145, 8K)

Anyone have recommendations for a self-hosted file sharing service with account management? I basically need to be able to

>host files
>invite specific people to make an account
>allow those with an account to view/download the hosted files

It would basically be a private file sharing service.

What distro would be good on my thinkpad t420
Here's the specs (as i changed a couple parts)

Attached: adadada.png (465x373, 16K)

github.com/hatsunai

i made it myself

Owncloud
Fedora

Anyone using guix as package manager on a distro that doesn't use it normally?
Is it worth?

>nodejs

I use Void on my own T420. I only had some minor problems with bluetooth, other than that it works very well.

Hey Jow Forumseniuses. Whatbare ypur thoughts on raspberry pis?

I need a dedicated computer for cryptos and raspberry pi is in the right price range.
Are they solid computers that last long and are secure etc?

gnome shell or even kde works fine

What will happen when google decides to corrupt chromium immensely? Everybody will have their own custom fork and then google wins by dividing rhe competition suddenly...

Competing browsers that all use chromium should have a plan in place to use one fork together if need arises

This might be a very stupid question so please excuse if it is. I installed Ubuntu for the first time 2 days ago and have been slowly figuring it out. I have previously only used windows. On windows I had to download and update the graphic card drivers once in a while, is there something similar with Ubuntu I have to do or is it done automatically. Ive been installing some of the recommended programs from the wiki, but Im still not sure how to 'system' type files work in Ubuntu.

your package manager (apt) takes care of all updates for you when the centralized ubuntu repositories are updated

maybe read up on how this all works

#
Sorry for late reply. Just follow the instructions on the bumblebee COPR and run nvidia-smi to confirm it's working.

You may want to look into KDE since its more windows-y imho

Thank you very much, I will read up on that.

Thought: noobs should use aptitude instead of apt, since it's more chatty and provides solutions when something breaks.
Good thought or bad thought?

thanks

hopefully they're not as complicated as xfce4-session

Why do you fa/g/s still recommend installing any other distribution before going full Gentoo?
I used to be on Ubuntu for a few years supposedly to get a better grasp of Linux, then when I tried to install Gentoo I had to troubleshoot the whole thing from start to end and re-learn everything.
I would have picked Gentoo from the get-go instead of Ubuntu if I had known that.

arch is the right level of autism for me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I honestly don't know why people still do that. most source based distros work differently from binary ones and will just confuse people who are used to them. like kernel upgrading or setting flags

It's very hard finding good documentation on anything. When you encounter a problem, googling it to find a solution is easy but hard to find something that teaches you why.

Any good resource that explains in details the general building blocks of Linux system and how they fit together? from boot to finish

If I install Gentoo in a second partition alongside OS X in my Power Mac G4 will my OS X installation die?

the dinosaur book

Attached: 51spVw9pGKL._SX348_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (350x499, 32K)

These damn dinos.

streaming my music library to my android phone, anywhere via mobile data, what's the best way to go about it? I have a debian server at home with a 10TB HDD. I just simply mount the drive over NFS when at home using my laptop and play everything through deadbeef.

>another chrome skin
Actually they have an active fork or qtwebkit that you can use otter with.
patreon.com/annulen

>t. Otter WebKit user on gentoo

The Debian Handbook when using Debian.

just de-google it.

How does one degoogle a google project?

Attached: linux-complexity-graph-devuan.jpg__1713x813_q85_crop_subsampling-2_upscale.jpg (1713x813, 127K)

make GTK frontend for mumble, k thx bye

I have some fundamentals in OS, what confuses me is how the modern building blocks work together to make a system operational.

make it yourself

Definitely not, in fact it would be fine if Gentoo became guix but guix will never get the nice parts about Gentoo because it's run by fucking gnu. I wanted to use guix because it seems interesting and streamlined, but the fact that gnu has to shove their free bullshit down everyone's throat just make it suck

systemD does everything now

>it's run by fucking gnu
>the fact that gnu has to shove their free bullshit down everyone's throat
Don't save any wojaks, someone post one of them for me.
Also just use nix then faggot.

>someone post one of them for me
I got you senpai.

Attached: 1475730473507.jpg (800x539, 46K)

mpd and mpd droid on fdroid

Look into LFS if you want to build a GNU/Linux system.

Where did GNU hurt you?

How is the radeon driver situation these days? I need to buy a new GPU, but the thought of using fglrx is giving me pstd.

free drivers are fast and just werk
fglrx is ancient history
just as fast as the non-free driver, and not a pain in the dick like the nvidia driver

>fglrx
It's all about AMDGPU now.

Any ideas for practical, beginner-friendly bash scripts to write?
For example, I just made this one-liner for youtube-dl that lets you easily select file format:
youtube-dl -F $1 | awk '/^\w[^o]/ {print} ' | dmenu -i -l 99 -p "Pick a format" | awk '{print $1}' | xargs -I{} youtube-dl -f {} $1

fglrx is deprecated upstream. GCN based Radeons are supported by AMDGPU, and older cards by radeon

The open source driver is significantly better than fglrx. Unless you need OpenCL, but amgdpu pro is still better than fglrx (but worse than amdgpu).

>but the fact that gnu has to shove their free bullshit down everyone's throat
100% of the time when someone says this they are highly confused about what GNU even is, and about what its goals are.
My guess is they listen to too many memes and don't do any of their own research.

Write your own screenfetch.

Also as a hint, I'll leave you with this thought:
THE reason many of us are able to run Guix System right now with the non-free Linux kernel and all its proprietary blobs is because of Guix DEV posted the config to make it happen.
That alone should tell you you might need to rethink some things.

fuck that dev

It's about being able to read the code, at any level, bare-metal on up. That's how I've always understood it.
>because of Guix DEV posted the config to make it happen
What an asshole.

You all are the reason people don't understand the goals of the GNU project. You're the reason people say things like "shove freedom down my throat".
I'm glad that developer did what he did. I think it sends a clear message that the goal is to build a free platform, NOT to prevent people from using non-free stuff if they're aware of it.
The GPL is to fight developers from turning everything into proprietary, it's NOT about fighting users, and GNU has never been about forcing users to do anything.

We want to enable people as much as possible, even if it means unofficially helping them run proprietary stuff. They just won't officially include it in their project because it would make building a free platform more difficult since you would have no baseline to figure out how free you were or not.

>You all are the reason
I don't see how any of that is counter to what I stated, sperglord.

I've got a few questions, all stemming from a distrust of the normal flavour of Ubuntu.
>In recent years, has Ubuntu ever had any trouble with its interim releases being released too early?
>Is Ubuntu non-LTS more stable than Debian Testing?
>Will forcing Ubuntu LTS on to a new version of GNOME cause me much trouble? Would this be less trouble than replacing GNOME completely? I remember Debian giving me trouble when I tried to completely replace GNOME with KDE.
>Is GNOME 3.28.2 significantly different from the latest version, 3.32?
>What GNOME processes tend to eat memory? I want to measure how much I'm losing to my DE.

Attached: Ubuntu.jpg (480x720, 73K)

Is there a program that can shut down my laptop when it reaches 10% battery or below?

Attached: cocokashico.jpg (1200x900, 187K)

>Will forcing Ubuntu LTS on to a new version of GNOME cause me much trouble?
Yes. Even ignoring compatibility issues, it'll be a pain to install.

what linux distro should i use? pic related is me

Attached: ok.png (486x648, 315K)

sh, zsh, bash

do you think you're matter? wow