Pda General

Making my own pda edition.

Gemini pda and GPD pocket fags also welcome. Share your use cases and experiences with your PocketPCs, get advice from others and discuss which pda is better for you.

Attached: 9A5EFE84-4897-4902-BB3A-44E6D22EDE3C.jpg (2560x1440, 378K)

Other urls found in this thread:

hackaday.io/project/21453-keymu-open-source-keychain-sized-gaming-console
hackaday.io/project/164934-funkey-project-all-your-games-on-your-keychain
youtube.com/watch?v=X3Su8LJnmd4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

bump(1/3)

Waiting for cosmo communicator, been missing hw keyboard for so long now, they just started asking people about keyboard layouts, so hopefully even august? Sept more likely

Thats nice, can you send a pic? I am trying to make my own pda for modern tasks

what is the thinnest x86 mini pocket thing

Gpd Pocket. There is gpd pocket 1 and 2. If you are a neet choose 1 otherwise choose 2. Linux is also installable on both

That's only a mockup

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (474x355, 23K)

PR1 sample

Attached: xnevngytk0ob8qnbc39x.png (320x494, 190K)

>Making my own pda edition.
Noice.
I love my Vaio P, but really need to gut it and replace the motherboard with an Intel Joule or something. Would need to make a board that hooks up to the keyboard/trackpoint/display, but that's nothing I haven't done before.
For smaller pocketable stuff I wanna make a nice thin foldable metal PDA with a keyboard typeable with two thumbs, a trackpoint/trackball, massive battery, and fucking nothing else.
I'd use a SOM like the intel edison for this.
No reason it'd need to be any thicker than these:
hackaday.io/project/21453-keymu-open-source-keychain-sized-gaming-console
hackaday.io/project/164934-funkey-project-all-your-games-on-your-keychain

>Properly hinged
Nice.
So mobo and screen top half, battery and keyboard lower half?

shameless bump but what do you guys use your PDAs for? as small laptops or something?

I think so, makes most sense as you would not want the mass in the top part for stability (that was the biggest issue with the HW kbd mods for jolla phones)

On cosmo you can either run a debian based distro, or sailfish os, both full fledged linuxes (just X vs wayland), so you can use it for anything really (doubt we'll have reverse engineered wifi chip like on n900, so probably pentesting not really, but for development on device perfect)

That is amazing! I am thinking about a linux based pda so i am between a raspberry pi compute module and pi zero w. I dont care about the thickness so much so it can be thick like a dell axim or old nokia 3310. It will have a seperate sd card slot and otg ports. Why you choosed a SOM for making a pda? Isnt a real OS would perform better for present?

Oh, it looks nice. I hope you will be happy with it :) It looks like Gemini pda so much

oh damn it's got some good specs too. might have to think on this

It can be used for anything. Just like your computer. It can compile codes you wrote, some graphing calculation for your math lessons. Connect your computer remotely to do stuff. That is why they are calling PocketPC to them.

Attached: D78E083B-4FBE-4F60-A784-8B42008D3518.jpg (2730x2048, 1.13M)

>Why you choosed a SOM for making a pda?
Flexibility for upgrades, just take your PCB design, replace the connector for the SoM, reconnect everything, and you're good to go.
The edison also has very nice performance with little power draw, it's much better than your average SOM that runs on a router chipset.
Only thing it doesn't have is onboard graphics, but if I was driving a high res screen I'd use the joule instead.
Also, newer SOM's have onboard graphics with mipi dsi/lvds if you need.
>Isnt a real OS would perform better for present?
Even if most routerchip SOM's just use openWRT, the edison uses yocto linux, and is nice and flexible.
If I wanted windows, I'd use the Joule

I try to design as thin as possible just so I have room for changes/extras if I need, but a compute module is so thin it hardly matters. It's just 5x the size of the edison

It's the 2nd gen gemini, with just few extra bits (highlighted keyboard probably the biggest one, but also camera from the get go, external display to not have to open it for calls and fingerprint reader, doubt the last two will work on sfos/gemian, but whatevs, highlighted keyboard at least should work)

cool setup pic

I was thinking about a 5.5” display to use but it seems like they are drawing so much power and it can connect using the spi. So i think i will go with 4.5 or 4” displays. I wont put much things on it but just a tiny nice speaker and maybe a microphone and 3.5mm headphone jack. I may also add some hardware function buttons. Otg ports and HDMI port will come with pi zero. I will install matchbox or i3 with some scripts to adapt it as a pda ui. Also, there is a nice pda project on hackaday named sda. It is not the best but there is some effort there

What's that pda in the pic?

Probably pyra dragonbox

Thank you :) have another one

Attached: 8C70FA84-CD46-43C6-A791-D182AD8297C7.jpg (3077x2048, 740K)

Are Pyras for sale yet?

Somone posted my photo.
Very cool!

Attached: GPD_Win_flash_bios.jpg (2560x1440, 1.92M)

Nope, so it can be pandora

Attached: PackardBell_DB128_1.jpg (950x781, 143K)

simple but effective ;)

yours? I had one of these, got netbsd on it but could never get wifi working.. the pcmcia card I had was only 802.11b..

It's a Pandora

Attached: openpandora_multitasking.jpg (1920x1440, 483K)

Sorry, it’s not mine

>Denei Shojou
Excellent taste, user

I had hoped they would bring bad something like pic related. The keyboard was unexpectedly comfy.

Attached: P1i.jpg (1193x725, 137K)

why wont the main guys produce phones with sliding or not physical keyboards, and/or small screens

this one looks promising, slider with rounded edges ala n950

Attached: fxtecpro.jpg (1024x562, 124K)

Bump

are there any of these out there with libre hardware, radio hardware switches, etc? I think I would get a real kick out of a pocket computer that isn't also a networked tracking device

Palm/WinCE devices

I also would like to know this.
Palm, Windows? lolno. Besides being underpowered they're all fully closed.

>Besides being underpowered
For what, browsing Facebook?
>they're all fully closed.
Only by the license, which doesn't really matter for shit because both are plenty well documented and far more hackable and open to the user than any bloated monstrosity of a freetard phone running a Linux operating system full of NSA code that can't do anything useful without a cellular data connection.

ugh, I bought a pandora

>far more hackable and open
Which ones have the source code available for them?

Just grab a ROM from an archive site and decompile it.

Sounds easier said than done. If you ever manage to do it however, good on you. In that case I would hope you publish it.

Palms have very nice documentation and they are near open hardware. But if you want to experience complete schizophrenia, you can always make your own.

Nice :) Do you like it?

So is any non-trivial modification to your kernel, let alone the bewildering array of firmware, services and applications that provide just the basic functionality expected of something like a modern smartphone, and I'd honestly argue that it's still far easier to tame a simple operating system whose complete distribution fits one or two megabytes of ROM over that aforementioned multi-gigabyte monstrosity.
>If you ever manage to do it however, good on you. In that case I would hope you publish it.
Palm OS was reversed and conquered to shit and back almost as soon as the first Pilots hit the shelves 20 years ago, the shitloads of tools like HackMaster/X-Master, custom launchers, OS tweaks and just about anything else you can think of wanting are a testament to that. Hacking Palm OS was the rule, rather than the exception as it probably will be for 99% of the people who are paying out the ass for a Librem 5 just to say they're running a bunch of GPL code they'll probably never, ever even look at, let alone understand enough to actually have the complete control and freedom they hold so highly, and forget about having it in the same way that so many people did on Palms, and even Windows CE to an extent.

What OS are you proposing. Also forget can you put a "proper" OS on palm or winCE devices? By proper, meaning something that can handle contemporary software. I actually had a palm or two and winCE device way back.

You could run linux on windows mobile devices

I... uh... did you read that post?

Palm Pre had a real OS, in many ways truer to Linux than Android is.

Attached: palm-pre.jpg (1144x1943, 142K)

The newer, larger, 5.5"-ish displays usually use MIPI-DSI, which some SBC's can handle just fine, same for some SOM's, it's what every phone since 2011 has used, but they need higher power hardware to drive them than the good old SPI/I2C displays of yesteryear.
I've tested a few displays myself, and they're surprisingly usable at around 480*270 for just everyday terminal stuff, but driving anything much higher res over SPI doesn't really work all that well.
That's probably when you'd switch to a SBC with MIPI-DSI and live with the extra power draw.
I'm looking at SDA now, they really went full PDA with that, nice.
I'm more in the "Pocket communicator" camp myself, I saw a really nice little motorola pad a while back that I wish I had photos of, maybe it was the Motorola V100, but I really like that form factor.
Else the Motorola Devour, or Xperia x10 mini pro, but with much less power draw at very least. Maybe a bit bigger too.

Attached: z2-usb-boot_1.png (1024x1024, 1.07M)

Slow but good thread. Bump

What linux distro is in the pictrue?
Looks pretty dope.

Looks like lfs

Thanks, i will look into it. I wanted that kind qwerty device but it really kills the portability of the device. I also stuck how to make a custom keyboard for my pda and make it type on tty. So i decided to go full touchscreen and leave an otg port for connecting an external keyboard

Do you know the DE or the windows manager though?

looks like just standard xfce on pandora

Thanks man.

cool you saved it i'm pretty proud of the setup. put on an even shorter ethernet cable, replaced elastics with velcro, changed openwrt mini router (usb power port was flaky)

Attached: hp1000cx-ping.jpg (4032x3024, 1.93M)

This thing looks so damn comfy.

bump(2/3)

Yeah, i save some cool pda setups :) it looks now nicer. What are you using for it besides openwrt terminal?

mtcp also has an irc client and i play old roguelikes on it

also when i get around to buying a low profile usb drive i'll load some native appz

I know it might be too big for PDA status, but the GPD Max is almost tempting.

Alright this all looks pretty fucking neat. Where do I get started?

I've never had anything like one of these before.
Can anyone recommend me one I can use with external peripherals (keyboard, monitor) ?

>GPD Win 2
Expensive as fuck, excellent Linux support, can easily be used with peripherals
>GPD Micro PC
Very affordable (great value), excellent Linux support but only on bleeding edge kernel (xubuntu still needs patching as of now), can easily be used with peripherals and has more ports than most full sized laptops (seriously, it has a fucking serial port)
>OpenPandora
Old, slow and fucking ARM, untested on recent kernels ("official" linux distro is outdated by almost a decade), cheap only in Germanistan, also no proper digital video out
>a cheap 2010-2012 intel atom netbook
a bit larger than the other devices listed but can be had for 50-100$ with working battery (stock battery life for pic related is about 10 hours of video playback, no joke), slower than modern atoms and worse power efficiency but can still be used for autistic Jow Forums stuff
>SONY VAIO PCG C1
The patricians choice. transmeta crusoe that is x86 compatible but actually not true x86, takes about 15 watts and is slower than the fucking openpandora, no support for any modern kernel, let alone windows but can be very comfy with Japanese Windows 98.

Attached: battlestation_interesting.jpg (1281x917, 215K)

thanks user

I've been on the fence between something like this or a tablet for ages, though, my budget is more "iPad Air" and the UMPCs i'd probably buy are a lot more expensive with the exception of the anaemic celeron models.

I mean't compared to the iPad Air which is what, $500? Anything else is about $200-300 more expensive.

Can you play doom on it since it has DOS 5.x?

First, decide what you will use it for. Also you need to choose between old or new pda’s. I recommend new ones for who need powerful tasks and current apps. I will also try to write an info text but i am a little bit busy now

Dell axim X51. It can have a monitor output with its dock connector. Also you can connect keyboard, usb drive, SD card and SDIO devices to it

>Making my own pda
>MAKING MY OWN PDA
Tell me more
pls

I really want to preorder a pyra but not sure if it's worth the price i could get 5 thinkpads for that

Attached: pompom.gif (765x540, 1.16M)

actually i have bought like 5 thinkpads (x31, x200, x220) and now i see how stupid i am

Attached: me_rn.jpg (645x729, 57K)

whats stupid about that theyre based

Attached: 1544896308253.jpg (1000x1000, 78K)

what camera/lens do you have?

i fallen for thinkpad meme, and now most of them are lying down somewhere at my house. i regret the money i put in them

just use them and alternate when you need a pc

Attached: 1554920329782.jpg (867x715, 134K)

i have hdd only in x31 and x220. except x31 is pretty much unusable, even with dwm and surf web browser. (maybe irc, but im not spending much time there) also its fucking thicc for such a small thinkpad

also do you really have anime pics for every reaction?

Don’t ever buy pyra, it will never get shipped. If you want a modern pda take a look at those:
-Gemini pda
-Gpd pocket 1
-Gpd pocket 2
-Pocketchip(This one is stopped manufacturing but it is just $80)

I didnt take the pic, sorry

i think it will ship there was an update on yt recently

only one of those i like is the pocket 1, might make one out of a pi

>They are oppsite of portable that what a laptop must be.
>Even if they being upgraded to the latest specs that motherboard supports, it is barely usable unless you open firefox with two tabs
>If you change the wifi card you are fucked and you need to install libreboot
>WHIRRRRRRRRRRRRR
But the only good thing about them is they have a great hardworking community

I am still skeptical about the shipping since i waited years for looking a review of it

check this youtube.com/watch?v=X3Su8LJnmd4 he explained why it took so much time something to do with the case manufacturer. theyre also gonna release a phone in the future

>something to do with the case manufacturer
They we're completely inept and pushed the project to the lowest possible priority (and it's a Greek company, so add fucktons of holidays on top of that)
>If they don't move the molds by X date we're switching companies, for sure, absolutely, no matter what.
Literally an entire fucking year of NOTHING before the molds are finally moved.

Fucking hell I want to just cancel my preorder and forget about this fucking thing.
Problem is it scratches that autism itch for a device and there's NOTHING else like it (expanded storage/design/etc)

Just got a GPD MicroPC and installed Debian on it.

Took some doing, for anyone else who wants to do the same, you have to boot the installer with nomodeset fbcon=rotate:1, and when you get it installed, you have to boot with nomodeset fbcon=rotate:1 again for the first run, persistently add fbcon=rotate:1 in grub, and build and install a new kernel that excludes all graphics modules except i915. When booting with that new kernel, you should be able to boot without nomodeset, at which point you can install X, your DE, etc.

Forgot pic

Attached: micropc.jpg (3174x2344, 2.22M)

that looks awesome!

based and keypilled

that trackpad looks awful to use kek

I would probably use it to manage my server via ssh and write notes and maybe some file sharing

Not him, but I've used awful tiny trackpads in the past (Sony Vaio Duo 13). A "glide" setting is key, where you can flick your finger and the cursor continues to move on its own. Then you just drop your finger to stop the cursor once it gets where it needs to go. Not sure if that works on Linux, though.

It's awful to use with the default acceleration settings. Because of that, I have the acceleration almost maxed out. Comfier than you might expect.