Your media player obsession is a meme

Your media player obsession is a meme.

Just open up your favorite anime video right now on multiple media players, set it to the exact milisecond, and quickly alt-tab between them. You will see there is literally zero difference. And because anime is often just a static image, there will be zero variation in the source material so the alt-tab will be pixel to pixel.

Just did this with VLC, MPV, MPC and there is ZERO difference in image quality. So why do you waste time with all this shit?

Attached: 1551123646022.jpg (1280x720, 76K)

Other urls found in this thread:

diff.pics/Fgs1GB512kwd
github.com/stax76/mpv.net
diff.pics/eTzN1KpYZLYm/1
diff.pics/Nv9YLspQUYbR
superuser.com/questions/368743/how-to-prevent-vlc-from-automatically-resizing-its-window-according-to-viewed-co
thesaurus.com/browse/difficult
mpv-net.github.io/mpv.net-web-site/
iina.io/
celluloid-player.github.io/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Mint
opinion discarded

Just a random google image. I am on Windows 10 and I also tested MPC + MadVR by the way.

>Windows 10
even worse

post the vlc video artifact webm

>using VLC to """prove""""" his point
> anime is often just a static image

Attached: 1503543414392.jpg (275x295, 26K)

Mind you, it's not really fair as I'm comparing stock VLC against my autistic mpv setup, but here you go.
diff.pics/Fgs1GB512kwd

This one?

Attached: VLC_corruption.webm (488x434, 1.07M)

What is the autistic setup? I just compared defaults, and madVR for MPC.

>Windows 10
cringe

In this case only KrigBilateral for chroma scaling and adaptive-sharpen, as I'm displaying the native resolution. The latter was probably not the best idea for this particular comparison as it highlights how shitty Horrible Subs encodes are. It's less noticeable during playback.
However, I just realized that the biggest difference has nothing to do with my setup. The different colors are the result of VLC decoding the video as BT.601, when in reality it's BT.709 like most HD footage.

yeah, kek

mpv.net is just better than VLC and MPC.

Attached: mpvchad_vs_madvirgin.png (1872x936, 243K)

>using vanilla players without adding specialst filters.
>"they all look the same to me, I just dunt get it."
t.brainlet.

Try this media player and you will see the difference in video quality.

Attached: mpvnet4.0.png (1282x766, 13K)

Zero difference.
How?
The main thing people talk about is MadVR, and it made zero difference. If you have another suggestion, then post it. No one ever talk about much else other than how "this player is better" with no autistic config setup guides, which are stupid to begin with but even if it were good, almost none of the people declaring how great a media player is barely ever use or talk about such setups.

>and it made zero difference
Care to post comparison screenshots?

Very weird. The screenshots (using the screenshot function in the players) actually show a big difference but when I'm watching both videos at the same time, at full screen, there is no difference when I alt-tab.

diff.pics/eTzN1KpYZLYm/1

This thread got me interested, so I installed VLC and immediately notice this weird behavior while seeking. For most videos (although not all; YT downloads and WebMs for Jow Forums work) it doesn't update the frame, while seeking in a paused state. So when I immediately pause the video after opening it and seek anywhere on the timeline, it still shows the first frame until I start playback again.
I also tried playing 8K/60fps HEVC. That was a rather interesting experience.

uhh no some videos don't work on some players

It is indeed the fault of VLC's screenshot tool. Using an external program like scrot fixes the problem.

To rectify my previous mistake, I made a few more comparisons. This time with several upscale scenarios. First a 720p -> 1080p upscale. Then a 576p -> 1080p upscale (also real life footage for a change). And lastly, to contrast the relatively high quality sources from before, a 360p -> 1080p upscale of a pixelated mess that I downloaded from coub.
diff.pics/Nv9YLspQUYbR
Btw. VLC was a real bitch during the 2nd comparison. I had to try several times to match mpv's frame until the decoded footage didn't look like pic related.

Attached: vlc_scrot.png (1920x1080, 954K)

Interesting. So the default upscaler in MPV is way better than the one in VLC?

And about my previous screenshots, you mean the VLC screenshot tool is messing up the colors and there's no difference when the video resolution is not upscaled?
I don't seem to be having that problem. Are you on Linux?

>Interesting. So the default upscaler in MPV is way better than the one in VLC?
No. I'm still the same user as in . I'm testing default VLC vs. my mpv config.
That being said, I tried raising VLC's output quality, but apparently I'm too much of a brainlet. I can't even get it to use a different scaling algorithm. Bicubic, lanczos, nearest, they all produce the same output. And debanding? The option search leads me to gradfun, but no matter the settings it does absolutely nothing to reduce banding (and yes, I did apply the filter).

Next time I should read the whole post.

>and there's no difference when the video resolution is not upscaled?
Your example with default VLC vs. default mpv? Yes, you won't notice a difference.
If you assume that your average mpv user has at least profile=gpu-hq in their profile, then it's using a better chroma scaler (barely noticeable) and applies proper debanding, which usually makes a big difference for low quality content.

>avatarfag
>/a/tard tier intelligence
>believes anime aren't static images
Pottery.

MPC on Windows and MPV on Linux.

VLC is botnet.

Someone post a comparison between mpv with an autistic mpv.conf configuration and MPC with MadVR

Even on Windows, mpv is the better option.

Attached: mpcweak.png (607x608, 330K)

The only people who do have an obsession with media players are those who claim they don't.
>lmao all you neckbeards wanna write a config file everytime you open a video
>waaa you just want to complicate your lives
Players such as mpv are literally install, press enter and play. I honestly don't see why people get assblasted over software that just works.

Did you max quality in MadVR
?

How? Not seeing anything like that in MPC or in MadVR's tray icon.

You fucking retard, you're using stock MPV which will obviously look the same as VLC, in order for MPV to look better you need to configure it to do so, at which point it will look vastly better, the state of Jow Forums these days...

for me, it's GOMplayer

Attached: 14235765345.jpg (777x684, 86K)

I only use MPV on linux because there is no MPC.

Yea, except people just say MPV is better without any further detail and certainly without config files or tutorials. So what's the point? Your autistic configuration should be the default with mpv.net or something. Only then will it be worth a shit. No one is editing any config files except a few Jow Forums users.

All of the players AT STOCK are the same.
MPC and MPV give the OPTION to use per-pixel GPU-accelerated upscaling, which does make a difference if you usually download 720p content for a 1080p screen, like I do.
Plus, with my latest graphics driver update, MPC ALSO lets you interpolate to 60 fps with little performance loss using a program called "BlueSky Frame Rate Converter". You could do that back in the day as well with SVP, but that's botnet and has a huge CPU cost.

based and gookpilled

Attached: mvp.jpg (280x274, 13K)

>He won't take 10 minutes to read a manual and edit a config file or just steal someone else's

Attached: 1555117368.png (1000x1000, 222K)

Why should I do that when there can just be a checkbox in a menu?
>MPC and MPV give the OPTION to use per-pixel GPU-accelerated upscaling
Does this also make 1080p videos upscaled to 1440p look better than the default upscaler? How do you do it?

>Menu
You're really fucking retarded aren't you?

ur so blind op i cant believe you typed all that shit i didnt read

t. faggot that spends an hour configuring MPV and convinces himself he sees a difference when there isn't one. Only one guy itt has posted screenshot differences and he implied he spent a lot of time configuring it.

It's an honest question. A program exists in a GUI, it's not much of a stretch to demand that programs have a GUI as well.
>Does this also make 1080p videos upscaled to 1440p look better
Yes, absolutely. The default is either "nearest neighbor" (literally no upscaling), or something accelerated by your CPU's decoder.
>How do you do it?
On Windows:
Step 1: download MPC-HC (or -BE, since that's the one I prefer)
Step 2: download MadVR, copy the extracted folder to your documents or something so it doesn't get deleted, then run the install.bat.
Step 3: go to MPC's video settings and choose "MadVR" as the video renderer.
Step 4: restart the program and play a video. A tray icon for MadVR should show up.
Step 5: depending on your GPU, you've got options. I'd suggest you set chroma upscaling (in the "rendering algorithms" section) to something somewhat easy, like Lanczos. Go to "image upscaling", and if you've got a decent GPU, set it (on the "doubling" side) to "NGU Sharp". That uses AI and shit to give you a godlike picture. If your GPU is shit, then use Jinc or something.
And you're done. Basically 1440p video from a 1080p source.

MPV is designed to be minimal, it's a surprise it has GUI at all so honestly having a config file makes sense

I work with audio clips that are frequently about a second long.
VLC BUTCHERS THEM EVERY TIME WITH A HORRENDOUS BLIPPING NOISE IF THEY ARE THIS SHORT
IT'S TERRIBLE. IT'S SHIT.
WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER IS OBJECTIVELY SUPERIOR.

Attached: red.png (666x666, 176K)

There should be no difference apart from performance, compatibility(formats, subtitles etc.) and extra features.

Nah, fucking MPC-HC is designed to be minimal. Nice clean interface, no features you don't want, etc.
MPV, in typical Linux fashion, is designed to be a COMPONENT of something else. It's the kind of player you can reskin to work on Android really quickly. I don't really consider it a media player on its own, even though it TECHNICALLY has all the features required. Because I require a GUI.
If I need to work in fucking MS-DOS, then I'll keep a command-line-based video player around. If I'm in a GUI-based operating system, everything else has to be a GUI. That's how it works. I use the mouse for computing, and the keyboard for talking.

anything similar on linocks?

>because anime is often just a static image
depends on the studio, i've seen great animation with extreme details.

Yeah, that's MPV going on.
And to enable the same features on that, you gotta dig around in fucking config files. It's the Linux way, my guy. Still, 90% of the features I'm talking about are present on MPV as well.
If you want shit that's designed by non-spergs, you gotta move to Windows.

vlc is for you.

Le /ourguy/ Sam Hyde xd!!!

Except VLC doesn't work, with or without command-line sperging.
MPC-HC works WITHOUT command-line sperging.
MPV works WITH command-line sperging.

If you've got all day to sit around typing, then get MPV. If you want powerful features in a USER INTERFACE, you know, how every program in the last 10 years works: get MPC-HC. It isn't that hard.

>except people just say MPV is better without any further detail and certainly without config files or tutorials
You've never been to an mpv thread, right?
>Your autistic configuration should be the default with mpv.net or something.
You can't make autistic configs the default as most computers are simply not able to handle them. Better ship a product that works for all people and must be tweaked for max. efficiency than a product that is broken for most people and must be tweaked to be usable.

Nice dude, thanks. I never thought of using MadVR in that way, I guess there's a lot to learn about it. Is that the only additional software you recommend for your setup?

Some of you have valid complaints and comparisons and opinions but most of you are autistic retards who don't even understand what it is you're fucking whining and bitching about.

All a video is is a series of images. If your video player isn't capable of 1:1 output to display these images, it's bad. End of story.

Meme tier shit like "better upscaling" is all worthless shit that's quite literally shit you shouldn't be using in the first place. All content looks best at native res.

I use CCCP myself. It just works.

>last updated 2015
I highly doubt that works better than any default modern player. Probably is way worse.

HDDlet just pause the video and go back those 5 seconds it takes to unfuck itself

this is borderline autism

if (srcHeight < 720) or (fileName = "*.avi") "SD"
else if ((fileName = "*720p*") or (fileName = "*1280x720*")) or (fileName = "*.mp4") "HD"
else if ((fileName = "*1080p*") or (fileName = "*1920x1080*")) "FullHD"
// For release groups that does not tag their files with video resolutions.
else if ((fileName = "*[FFF]*") or (fileName = "*[FBI]*") or (fileName = "*[WhyNot]*") or (fileName = "*[Commie]*") or (fileName = "*[gg]*") or (fileName = "*[Vivid]*")) "HD"
else "FullHD"

FullHD
All of them: Lanczos 4 Taps, Anti-Ringing relaxed

HD
Chroma Upscaling: NGU AA, very high
Downscaling: Lanczos 4 Taps, Anti-Ringing relaxed
Upscaling: NGU AA. Algo Qualities, high, medium, normal
activate doubling/quadrupling: always - supersampling
upscaling algo Lanczos 3 AR

SD
Chroma Upscaling: NGU AA, very high
Downscaling: Lanczos 4 Taps, Anti-Ringing relaxed
Upscaling: NGU AA. Algo Qualities, high, medium, high
upscaling algo Lanczos 3 AR

Attached: Legend.of.the.Galactic.Heroes.104.[x264.720p.10bit.AAC].mkv_snapshot_04.43.198.png (2560x1318, 3.35M)

literally what is wrong with mint you nigger

Also, use xy-VSFilter Project for your chink cartoons.

what i want with a media player is simple.

>fast
it can open the file and play it in a second or two.
low bloat
>it doesn't use ram or cpu like a chrome browser.
large user base
>if i do have a problem, i can search for the answer and fix it.

right now, VLC does this well and i have reason to change.
however - VLC does have a bug right now that annoys me, but i know its been fixed in the nightly builds of VLC. so i just need to wait for a bit

people bitch and moan about media players like they are something special.
>they aren't.

is there anyway to make vlc stop opening high res files at fuck huge sizes that get cut off by the screen and instead size them to screen size?

huge files?

do you mean videos with a resolution larger than your current desktop?

yes

i have found the answer this before, but i can't remember.
took me a good 10mins to work it out then.

i know you have to change a file with text editor. forces it to a set resolution every time you open a file.

its kinda dumb work around.

found it.
superuser.com/questions/368743/how-to-prevent-vlc-from-automatically-resizing-its-window-according-to-viewed-co

it remembers the last interface size you had before you close it.

If you want the benefits of mpv and a GUI, just download mpv.net. Try it. You don't need to waste time reading a manual unless you want to understand the program with more depth. And you can do the same thing you do with MPC and MadVR.

Attached: mpvnet.png (256x256, 7K)

Any more mpv related question just hit this thread

Attached: mpvnet_openjpg.png (722x766, 808K)

Is MadVR built into mpv.net? I'm seeing a lot of the MadVR options in the config menu despite not setting anything, but I do it have MadVR installed.

Because NEETs and summerfags love to make everything difficult so that they can brag about it to strangers on the internet.

>difficult

thesaurus.com/browse/difficult

Aren't you the same guy who started by any chance?

No man. That is just the video scale settings in mpv. Yes some of those scales options are the same present in MadVR. They were never exclusive to it.

So do you think we still need MadVR for MPV? Seems like some important options are already there.

Why are you on a tech board? Do you not like to use software to their potential?

No

No. Its redundant actually.

You're literally a retard trying to act smart. You're never getting untouched chroma; you're getting subsampled chroma that every video player has to upsample even at native res. Also, there's 4K and even 8K screens around. You're going to get media that doesn't match your screen resolution.

The reason I switched from VLC to mpv is that at the time (around 5 or 6 years ago) VLC on OS X was a mess. Whenever I'd seek there was a 30% chance the audio/video would get desynchronised, that everything would turn into glitchy artifacts or that the video would stop and I'd have to find my position again. mpv had none of these problems while also feeling a lot smoother and responsive and being less resource intensive than VLC.
I've tried VLC recently and it seems to have improved, but it's still a lot more resource intensive and there are some nifty things I can do with mpv that I can't do with VLC.

We all come here for our daily dose of entertainment.

Or I could just use a media player that works ootb.

i scrolled through the thread and thers no screencshots

I see 2 actually plus a handful of diff.pics links.

I finally did it. Scaling and debanding finally works. Silly me didn't realize that I have to explicitly disable hardware decoding (default) to apply filters like gradfun and that I have to explicitly refrain from using a GPU related output module (default) to use a different scaling algorithm. I don't know why I have to choose between using my GPU and tweaking video output, but that's the way it is.

Also, everyone who says that configuring mpv is difficult because of the lack of menus can go fuck themselves. Even with the search function it's tedious to navigate the advanced settings and it didn't help that using a command line option (--swscale-mode in my case) apparently opens a temporary session that discards your settings once you close it. And at least I never had to dig around in bug reports to configure mpv.

Attached: vlc_tweaked.png (1920x1080, 819K)

>You will see there is literally zero difference.
10/10 bait. I bet you don't even use madVR.

Can you post your desktop wallpaper?

Horrible subs dont actually encode anything

The traffic cone icon is literally 50% of the reason I don’t use VLC.

How do I fo all this? Spoon feed me from going to a website to download the player to configuring all these settings?
I have 4 episodes of my favorite anime and I wanna experience them Jow Forums style

No. Figure the rest out yourself nigger. Helpie selfie.

mpv front-ends:
Windows: mpv-net.github.io/mpv.net-web-site/
Mac: iina.io/
Linux: celluloid-player.github.io/

VLC sucked ass years ago, you didn't need to pause shit to see it, and was a resource hog. Now it cached up and it doesn't fucking matter anymore which media player you use, i agree with op.

In this time and age, with multi-core cpu's, tons of gigs ram, and lightning fast SSD's, it is a meme

However if you're like me with a P4 , 2 gigs, IDE HDD and a DX 8.1 gpu, basically a 2004 tech pc then you have no other option but choose MPC-BE/HC. why? because all the other media players are heavy for my machine.

Attached: 160150943_hp-pavilion-a706n-desktop-computer-w-monitor-keyboard-xp.jpg (320x238, 12K)

Try mpv with profile=gpu=hq and you will see the difference.

I actually did this with a scene from Guardians of the Galaxy 2 when they land on the father's planet. There was a huge difference between stock VLC and stock mpv. The colours in VLC were a lot more washed out.

ok zoomer

>diff.pics
Currently down user, however its code is open source

is this option available in mpv.net config menu? i don't see it.
>there are some nifty things I can do with mpv that I can't do with VLC.
like? one thing in VLC i like is the A->B looping. does mpv have that?

Attached: 1532011684810.jpg (1918x1023, 174K)

>like?
I was going to say that mpv is scriptable (lua, js) but I just found out so is VLC.
I'm not really sure if there's anything mpv can do that VLC can't. I guess the only certain advantage is that mpv is a much less resource and energy intensive application.
>a-b looping
default keybind is l (lowercase L) I have it mapped to alt+l