/hgt/ – Haiku General Thread

Welcome to the /hgt/ – Haiku General Thread!

Haiku is an open-source operating system that specifically targets personal computing. Inspired by the BeOS, Haiku is fast, simple to use, easy to learn and yet very powerful.

Official Website: haiku-os.org/
Downloads: download.haiku-os.org/
Forum (not for bugreports): discuss.haiku-os.org/
Bugtracker (only for OS bugs, not for ports): dev.haiku-os.org/
Localization: i18n.haiku-os.org/
Virtualizing Haiku guides: haiku-os.org/guides/virtualizing/
Gerrit review system: review.haiku-os.org/
CGIT: git.haiku-os.org/
GitHub mirror (read only mirror, do not send PR): github.com/haiku/
Buildbots: build.haiku-os.org/
HAIKU for other architectures: haiku-os.org/guides/building/port_status

PORTS: ———————–
HaikuPorts repo: github.com/haikuports/haikuports
HaikuPorts bugtracker: github.com/haikuports/haikuports/issues
HaikuPorts Wiki (what is package management and how to make a package): github.com/haikuports/haikuports/wiki
HaikuDepot Web Interface (do not forget to select your architecture): depot.haiku-os.org
Buildbot Interfaces: build.haiku-os.org
HaikuArchives (3rdparty open source BeOS/Haiku programs): github.com/HaikuArchives

CHAT / SOCIAL: ———————
IRC: #haiku at freenode : irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/haiku
IRC Log: echelog.com/logs/browse/haiku/
Haiku official mailing list: freelists.org/archives/haiku/
Telegram: @haikuos

INC and FINANCES: ———————
Haiku Inc.: haiku-inc.org/
Donations: haiku-inc.org/donations.html#online
Founding: haiku-os.org/community/organization/funding/

Attached: 40B5BA5C-C9A3-4F5B-B035-360C290305DA.png (600x315, 30K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POSIX
simplytechreviews.co.uk/index.php/2019/05/07/installing-haiku/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

From now on Haiku will get a daily thread because the big interest.

Sell me on it

Can Haiku openvpn/ssh/vim/git ?

>operating system that specifically targets personal computing
Oh you mean like 99% of every other OS?

Ssh/vim/git for sure but the run/tap driver is not yet ready for the prime time.

Tun/tap ofc.

>Oh you mean like 99% of every other OS?

Except Windows, DOS, some Apple stuff (before build their shit on FreeBSD), AmigaOS and other old stuff. no other modern operating system was designed from scratch to target personal computers. Linux distros and modern Apple stuff built software on layers of Unix-like shit (which were designed for servers and corporation computing) and molded into things they were not meant for.

Attached: bloated.jpg (500x667, 40K)

>Unix-like shit
>He doesn't know that Haiku is based on the same "shit" he's talking about
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POSIX
I love it when people start talking about things they don't understand.

I don't said Haiku scaped from the Unix hellhole.
I love you too user s2

Attached: so-love.jpg (720x647, 242K)

Thank you kind sir for the ability to shill my blog post about Haiku.
simplytechreviews.co.uk/index.php/2019/05/07/installing-haiku/

Attached: dark-mode-5.png (1280x800, 270K)

Anyone running Haiku on bare metal? What's the ideal setup? I'm thinking of running it in an old core2duo with 2GB of RAM.

How can Haiku serve SSH securely if the only user available is root?

That's actually the ideal setup for TempleOS.

BeOS runs on as low as 128 MB of RAM on a Pentium 2.

>Not knowing what a personal computer is
Every OS ever made for a personal computer targets a personal computer. By definition, a personal computer is just a computer that any individual can use (from Commodore 64 and TI-99, to modern home built Intel/AMD based machines and even Chromebooks).

posting in ebic bread
:D

Oh look... It's the troll again

How is Haiku "based on POSIX" when it's not POSIX compliant like Inspur K-UX, macOS, AIX or EulerOS?

>From now on I'll keep on flooding Jow Forums with something nobody's interested in

>The retard from yesterday appears
>A potentially half-decent thread dies

Hey these threads are still a thing. I still have a text file with somewhat of the same template.

>I don't said
Why do you type all retarded like that? Are you Mexican or something?

>He hasn't bothered reading the most recently archived Haiku general threads
Yeah... They're still a thing and easy troll targets are still a thing in this thread.

these posts are not nice
unnecessarily so
hope (you) have nice day

>He still posts
>He doesn't know what people are talking about in this thread, but he's still posting
*sips* Yup... Summer sure is a fun time here.

excuse me? I've been posting here since before summer HA

>I posted here last summer
Please take my advice and do pic related.

Attached: Rubber Ducky.png (500x358, 179K)

>He actually paid money to post on a free board

Attached: 1495676004137.jpg (450x450, 30K)

Attached: file.png (655x750, 66K)

>he works for Google without being paid

Attached: file.png (211x233, 77K)

>Samefagging while namefagging
That's a new low.

samefagging would be the act of replying to the same post or thread multiple times under the guise of being different Anons, not the act of spamming a thread with replies to each (You) as I read them

>He can read
[Applauding intensifies]

Now get back on topic if you know anything about Haiku. Otherwise, go be a retard on other boards like Jow Forums (I hear they're low-hanging fruit for autists like you).

does BeOS have a chess client?

It's kinda funny how the troll starts at around 23 UTC every day. His writing style makes him distinguishable in every thread.
Is this the time when his mom allows him to use the computer?

I know, man. Especially when he decides to namefag, or tripfag, or use a Jow Forums pass to act like this.

And another Haiku general thread bites the dust.

Haiku shill BTFO

Attached: tenor.gif (220x216, 39K)

let me necro
Haiku is a really cool piece of software
I hope that it does really good and becomes production ready
I would be interested to see it thrive and become an ecosystem for creative people to thrive in.
It is so awesome watching BeOS run smoothly on ancient hardware, especially because I used really unresponsive Windows 95 machines going to elementary school. Wow!

>Shillin' like a villain
So... Have you actually tried it or worked on it in a technical fashion, to actually know what you're talking about? And why were you so dumb that you'd always blue-screen your Windows 95 machine?

>let me necro
You fuck corpses in the morgue?

It's a nicer way to say it's partially POSIX compliant.

>Summer sure is a fun time here
>mom I replied to everyone in the thread
If you guys ignore him, he'll go away, tripfags are addicted to (You)s.

>Hurr I has opinion
>But I's too returdeded to know wut muh opinion's about
You contribute absolutely nothing to this thread except for being low-hanging fruit for summerfags.

>Replying to everyone on the thread
>Because he's angry a tripfag replied to everyone on the thread
See Also, partial POSIX compliance isn't compliance. It's just saying "Look at me! I'm imitating a deprecated program from the 60's"

waaaaa waaaaaaa look at me mom I'm trolling people on Jow Forums REEEEEEEEEE

Why do you always have to shit up every single general you visit? And your telling others that they're doing what your doing only proves your retardation.

Mom look! I'm now accusing them of things that I did, see? See? See? t-that'll sure get'em

That's exactly what you did with Anyways, why don't you actually talk about technology, or are you too dumb to know anything about Haiku? Or anything for that matter?

Mom you gotta see this! I'm now pretending to be interested about Haiku and technology!!!!! That'll make them turn around in circles. Mom are you proud of me yet????????

Why are you upset, Christopher? Sad that you're exposed for a retard, so you sperg out even more?

Look mom now I'm calling the guy that's replying to me with the name of another guy that was previously in this thread, so I can make angry! Hahaha I'm so clever mom!

Found the retard.

Mom mom! I'm calling them retards now, I'm playing 4D chess with them now right? Mom please let me use the computer for five more minutes

>Hurr I'm trolled
Kid: this isn't your personal blog.

>Being retarded
>Any year

Mom mom! I'm now redirecting them to the place that I came from
You see, in Jow Forums coming from reddit is an insult, so I'm now insulting them how about that huh? huh? huh?
Please don't tell anyone that I told you that I discovered Jow Forums from reddit
Mom I don't want to brush my teeth! You need to respect my boundaries!

>When retarded trolls get exposed by anons for acting retarded
You're not supposed to keep acting retarded and flood an already dead thread, bro.

>Still being retarded
Wow... You're really off the meds, eh? Did you have sex with your mom yet?

Nooo mom I don't want to go to sleep
No no no please don't take my riced Arch laptop
Ok fine I'll call them retards and accuse them of flooding an already dead thread
>No mom the sex thing is me trolling them, no of course I don't think about these things regularly

>So much seethe for being called out as a troll
This is hilarious.

The cringeposting keeps on going

Mom I think I'm running out of ideas here
I'll just call them t-t-trolls like I did before then start samefagging hopefully they have a short attention spam like me

tfw summerfags don't realize there are rules on Jow Forums that they can get banned for breaking

>Going so spergy that he forgot why he got mad
You forgot you posted because you were called out for being a retard? Did your dad dilate you last night to make you like this?

>The great wall of cringe
Yikes

Look mom! I'm keeping twisting the posts by attributing random posts to them! This is so smart ha ha ha ha ha
No of course dad didn't do anything to me! I just came up with this word!!!!! How dare you accuse my dad!!

>tfw every Haiku general since last week went to shit
Feels sudoku, man. All thanks to retards like

Are you Mexican? Because you're doing a damn fine job building the great wall of cringe.

Haha now I'm accusing them of ruining the thread for the third time
No of course they won't remember the previous times, I didn't so they won't. Do YOU understand me!!!!!!

>When the mentally handicapped are given internet connections

Haha mom every few seconds I just keep quoting random replies because they make me angry so I group the things that make me angry in a single reply
What do you mean you have things to tell me?

Haha I'm making fun of them by reflecting on my own retardation!! They'll never figure this one out!!

This is so funny. He still doesn't realize he's the one getting trolled into acting retarded. Well, I guess we all have to wait until he goes back to school in September.

Mom can you stop reminding me about summer school that I have to take because I failed at all of my exams! Oh wait that's a great idea! Let me just type it while I keep requoting the replies because of autism

>This encourages the retard to be retarded
There's your (YOU), Christopher.

Mom what do you mean repeating certain patterns like requoting these threads is an indication of autism? I thought that autism was a funny meme on Jow Forums

>Being too retarded to realize he can get banned for flooding, trolling outside of /b/ and being underage
The current state of zoomers

Haha now I'm accusing them of being zoomers! What do you mean that I have to change my diapers!

God, you're so cringy with your aspergers. No wonder that guy keeps requoting your every aspie post you've been making since you got upset for being called out

It just keeps growing. We just keep cringing

Haha mom! Now I'm pretending to be another guy!
You see Jow Forums allows to be whoever I want, so when I get cornered I can always pretend to be someone else!

>This entire thread
God, I hate retards. Maybe back in 2003, it was funny, but now it's just sad.

It'd be funny if the two spergs got banned for flooding

Yeah the guy that's getting trolled and keeps requoting is just pathetic.

Actually, you're the one getting duped by the quotefag into getting trolled, making you look more retarded than you are. All in the meanwhile he probably reported every single one of the posts he quoted from you for flooding, since that's what you're doing.

see That's what makes your retardation so funny; you don't see how retarded you are, but the entire world wide web does.

itt: trolled trolls trolling other trolled trolls in a trolled troll thread, talking about an OS that was trolled out of existence

Look mom I made a bunch of comments insulting someone unrelated now I'm accusing the guy I was replying to of being insulted by my other comments
You see mom, my intelligence is multi-layered

Anyways don't forget to stay mad.

So is this the state of Haiku users? Are they all retarded like this? No wonder why nobody uses it. And if that's how BeOS users were back in the day, no wonder why it's not sold anymore.

Stop feeding the troll by showing how mad you are. He's deliberately trying to make you go retarded and he's dong a great job of it.

Wow... I've never seen anyone so mad, that they'd sperg out on not one, but 16 posts.

>Gets called out for trolling
>Gets trolled for getting called out
>Proceeds to troll more
>Proceeds to get trolled even more
The present state of Jow Forums now.

Thank God this is only a troll containment thread for the OpenBSD general, amirite?

>All these posts
That kid must be 13 and angsty because Stacey let his school dance invite down.

God... All that "look mom" copypasta just made me despise humanity now. What a sickening retard.

... So... Who's up for some actual technology discussion? Has anyone tried Haiku on bare metal?

I'm revisiting it atm. Web+ crashes when I try to visit Jow Forums but it can watch YouTube. Downloading NetSurf.

This post is full with misunderstanding.
There is no /system/home, for example.

woah, so this is the power of Haiku

Attached: haiku_glteapot_demo.png (306x325, 20K)

I got over 900 FPS :)

>caring about haiku when there’s serenity

Bumping with the power of Haiku

Attached: sodoku-committed.png (1024x768, 133K)