Brave Improves Its Ad-Blocker Performance by 69x with New Engine Implementation in Rust

>...resulting in an ad-blocker with the best in class performance.

brave.com/improved-ad-blocker-performance/

Attached: brave-browser-1021x518.png (1021x518, 61K)

Other urls found in this thread:

spyware.neocities.org/articles/brave.html
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=20289966
gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/
youtube.com/watch?v=RZ_3MKomQzY&feature=youtu.be&t=222
jwz.org/blog/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

how do we add this to servo

>rust
I do not allow trannycode on my box

>they actually used 69
Based

Why would wintoddlers care about blocking ads? If they did they wouldn't use Windows in the first place.

>69x
Did you mean to say 69%? Because I don’t believe you otherwise

OP is directly quoting the arricle

this is good i guess but there was less than half a millisecond of lag introduced before so this isn't exactly groundbreaking from a UX perspective
it looks like the brunt of the work was preprocessing blocklists and more cleverly matching requests against the generated fields. if every request is getting matched against a long and wide list of blocked items, i could see this drastically lowering the workload.
if this was all done with DNS blacklisting i suspect there would be far fewer improvements to be made

Attached: 1561128497823.jpg (828x1069, 516K)

Good thing brave is based on Chromium :^)

>my box

Attached: 1530324374012.png (644x800, 17K)

Yes, switch to (((brave))), everyone!

>We therefore rebuilt our ad-blocker taking inspiration from uBlock Origin and Ghostery’s ad-blocker approach.

Attached: 120.jpg (1120x625, 43K)

Does this count as advertising?

>butthurt mozilla zealot

Based

What's the point of improving performance if it works worse than ublock

Now, if they could just change that name. "Which browser do you use"? "Uh, the Brave browser". "Sorry, what was that"? " I use B-Brave".

>Spyware Improves Its Ad-Blocker Performance by 69x
ftfy
source: spyware.neocities.org/articles/brave.html

Fuck off retard

Attached: BraveFUDBTFO.png (1020x2062, 164K)

Brave shill kys

>posts an image without source
>expects to be believed
brave shills are not even trying these days

>I don't actually know anything besides how to install programs
>Everything I read about and dislike is tranny-ware
Apple bud huh? Systemd bad? Windows 10 bad...

Attached: 0bc2cb01860bb549af29f06fcc7e78ca279527d5.png (1000x1000, 657K)

read the article. it performs better than ublock

It's worse than uBO feature-wise and blocks significantly less ads than uBO.

>by 69x
From where th fuck are they pulling those numbers?

cope, read the code retards

Well it wasn't even in the article. You would know I was lying if you actually read it. Checkmate

The general consensus on HN is different though

news.ycombinator.com/item?id=20289966

Same here! Let's you and I rewrite the engine in C

Nice.

Through testing/benchmarks, not their asses.

Attached: i7'9-b.png (1007x193, 16K)

Not him but I researched the primary sources long ago. That picture is substantiated EXCEPT for the Tom Scott section. Brave Software had a series of (((extremely negligent))) design decisions that got them a lot of free money. Unlike what the paragraph says, people did lose money and it went to Brave Software and they can never get it back.

I made that picture - can I get some info on BAT going to Brave? It was my understanding it never left the browser. Did it just go to them until the creator signs up (which could be never) instead? I'll correct the picture.

The money that was donated on the behalf of the content creator didn't even belong to the people sending it. It was grant money that they got for free from the browser that had a conditional clause that stated they have to give it away in less than 90 days or it would be taken back anyways. The grant was to increase adoption.

Here's how it worked. One, the Brave donation website practically impersonated content creators. This is still verifiable from the screenshot in the Twitter thread so you can see how bad it looked. Two, the money went to an unknown escrow service. Brave Software or the escrow company (which could be Brave Software) benefit from the BAT that is never transfered to the content creators. I highly doubt that money would not be touched whatsoever through borrowing or abandonment claims. What escrow would hold money indefinitely? Three, BAT had (maybe still has) no anonymous receipt for returning BAT that enters the escrow so it can't be returned to the owners.

People can and do buy BAT and that could be for the purpose of donations.

New and improved anti-FUD image

Attached: BraveFUDBTFO.png (1020x2406, 201K)

Brave is botnet

>coping while calling others' coping
>no u: the post

Isn’t brave even more SJW than trannyfox? (I use FF so don’t dil@te me)

This is good. If you plan to post this on Jow Forums more often, you should add sources because people will just demand a source every single time and say that people should discard it because there's no sources linked.

Brave is Stallman approved.

Brave is free as in freedom by the way (MPL). Consider removing the reference to it being better than freetard garbage.

I just tried them and it works great! Sites with anti-adblock that fucked my chrome/ublock works like charm now
they really improved a lot since last time I tried them

Attached: 1560339440543.jpg (750x562, 39K)

>spyware is fine
Kys

>firefox quantum
>brave
Are all browsers going to be eventually rewritten to Rust?

Do people still use brave botnet ?

Eventually it will come to the stable channel, but for now this new and improved ad-blocker implementation is only available in the brave dev/nightly channel,

the only people i've seen shilling this browser are unprofessional know-it-alls who fall for corporation-fueled hype and enjoy using shit like microsoft exchange, and presumably are into coprophilia.

>We totes improved 7300% trust us
lmao no

what happened to the other co-founder guy?

>using ubo for anything else than to block all 3rd parties

Still around; what OP said is largely the work of him and another guy (who is a researcher-employee) with the help of an intern they hired a few months ago

Attached: algo.png (1913x2042, 396K)

meant FF

Hired by Uber

>unironically defending systemdicks and botnet10

*class doesn’t include ublock origin on Firefox

Yes it even includes this combo

add-ons, no matter how good they're, is always going to be an inferior solution (Performance & Blocking wise) compared to integrated implementations of ad/script-blocking.

Always

except ublock orogin and umatrix are better than anything brave has built in. And they work better in firefox based browsers. Do you even know what can be done in ubo? blocking ads, trackers, malware. Blocking scripts per domain while applying filters. Able to make custom filters. etc.

lets just go back to using curl

NOOO BUT THIS VIOLATES THE RUST COC
BRENDAN EICH IS A HOMOPHOBE!!!

will it have the ability to block ALL ads and not just the ones they dislike? i dont want to give twitter, reddit, and other sites ad space.

>not toggleable
fuck me that's an important mistake

There we go, the definitive definitive anti-FUD image

Attached: BraveFUDBTFO.png (1023x2253, 190K)

reminder that brave users are easier to track

Attached: 1553259576332.png (1406x1878, 87K)

when is this supposed to go live?

so basically tor is easiest to track?

It's already live in the dev-nightly builds, for stable i'd say in a couple months from now.

0.00001 BAT has been deposited in your account, Pavlov.

gonna need a sauce on that

>Brave is Stallman approved.
False, he recommends IceCat and Tor
gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/

Why should i care what a toe-lint-eating fat fuck commie recommends?

you're the who should read the article or at least take a look at the comparison charts they posted. They didn't even dare to compare this shit against uBO.

someone said Stallman approved of Brave. I simply want to see a source for that because I can't find anything to verify that claim

oh they already did that in the battery/memory savings tests, and Brave was better than uBlock Origin in both.

also they did compare their results with Ghostery's ad-blocker performance study and they found out with the new blocker the average request block time is down to 5.7ms which is lower than uBlock Origin's 17ms, hence the 69x performance improvement.

this

Correction, it's microseconds (μs) not milliseconds (ms)

and if you're whitelisting domains with ubo or umatrix its going to be a lot faster anyways.

Stallman approves the business model of Brave

Source: youtube.com/watch?v=RZ_3MKomQzY&feature=youtu.be&t=222

There's nothing to verify that claim. Stallman sticks to CLI programs for almost everything and only hops on a graphical browser every once in a while, in which case it's Icecat.

Thanks OP. We really need these brave shill threads every day. I for one am definitely excited about more and more people using chromium-based browsers so that google has no competition at all and can implement new web "standards" the way it sees fit.

The nose never lies

Too bad Brave is spyware
spyware.neocities.org/articles/brave.html

See

See

See

>Hi, I'm Jamie Zawinski. I'm the proprietor of DNA Lounge, a world famous and award-winning all ages dance club and live music venue in San Francisco, and of DNA Pizza, our attached cafe and pizzeria.

Prior to that, I worked as a programmer. I was one of the founders of Netscape and Mozilla.org, and have been involved in the free software and open source community since the mid-80s. I was the primary developer of Lucid Emacs (now XEmacs), and probably wrote most of your screen savers.

I have a blog. It's pretty popular.

jwz.org/blog/

Attached: JamieZ.dna_2-1020x574.jpg (1020x574, 54K)

Please WD-40 the entire software industry
Rust cannot be allowed to spread any further

I don't have the original source for this person's email. They asked Stallman if systemd is ok and he said yes because it's free software. Since Brave is also free software, it must therefore also be ok.