30TB of storage

>30TB of storage
>Zero back ups

Do you keep backups of all of your storage? I don't want to buy another 5 or so drives to back it all up.
Any solutions?

Attached: erXJA5h.jpg (720x705, 107K)

Storage is cheap and if you don't want to spend more money to guarantee data survival, I doubt your data is that important to begin with.

Unlimited Google Drive™ doesn't have this problem

I you buy 14TB hard drives it'll be easier to manage.

share it throug p2p if something breaks you can redownload it from your fellow peers

Use git as backup tool and push to github(tm)

learn to live with the loss

I've got 50-70GB of stuff I make sure is backed up, the other 14TB I'm just hoping for the best

> i don't want to buy another 5 or so drives
LTO5 or LTO6, 3TB/6TB per tape. you can throw one across a room and it'll still live. try to doing that with your spinning rust drive. can buy in bulk. drives are insanely expensive but your data will last forever.
fuck off and die.

>Zero storage
>30TB of back ups

RAID 5
or RAID 10 if you're paranoid

>RAID 5

>tfw I just copy my Documents folder onto a USB once a week
>tfw it's all encrypted and nobody else has access to it
>If I die or my data is lost, my entire company will probably fail

Always buy 2 drives of the same capacity. If you're buying a drive that you can't afford 2 of, you're not spending properly and should reduce the capacity you're buying until you can afford 2.

t. Guy with 28TB of drives in his server but only 10TB usable

I moved all my main data onto a 10tb external drive and use Backblaze.

RAID is not a substitute for backups.
Depends how important the data is to OP but offsite or cloud is the way for anything critical. RAID aint gonna fix shit if your house burns down.

this+pasword

My public trackers don't stay seeded.

I personally have a fire resistant suite case. Have a USB drive in there with Linux for live boot, another USB with the 15GB of family photos I have, 3x M-discs burnt with the same family photos, and another M-disc with an encrypted container burned to it. Plain text file of passwords and username for every single service I've ever used or still use. Then of course there's stuff like the title for my car, deed for my home(s), social security card, birth certificate, etc.

Site under my bed ready to be grabbed in the event of a fire. The case will withstand sitting in direct flame for about 5 minutes before the stuff inside is compromised.

raid 5 and 6
all the idiots
everytime

yolo it

Let's hope you're at home when the fire breaks out.

Almost no because I'm a poorfag who lives in a third world island and my family members are epussies

Backblaze or unlimited OneDrive license

Yes for reals. I mean I have cloud backups of the family photos, but losing everything else would really suck

hell wait for raid 7 & 8
it's More Securer(TM)

also raid not backup fucking incels

github

Just get a bank vault, they should be around 50$ a year or something. Periodically switch the files with an updated version and keep the paper files there at all times.

You don't have to back up everything, just what you can't download again.

No. Everything I have is just pirated anime and music. Why waste money backing that stupid shit up?

This is why you rent cloud storage because they back it up for you at least 5 times. Impossible to lose data this way.

eh, not your problem.

myspace

just buy a tablet, faggot

>using raid as backup

Attached: 1513221733951.png (1638x1912, 264K)

>fuck off and die.
compare the price of drives to the price of unlimited google drive + encryption retard. there's literally no point to physically hoard data when google gives you unlimited storage for $700 a year

>he drank the google kool aid
>girls laughing.jpg

>$700 a year to use someone else's storage
>Storage that can sometimes be inaccessible in the event of an internet/power outage
Holy fuck cuck. Lemme guess, you also rent?

Attached: 1553464765167.gif (355x201, 2.78M)

700$ for unlimited backup storage is pretty fucking amazing not like you consumers would know.

>just $700 a year
>$700 a year
>$700
>a year
>just

I don’t have very much data that is important other than maybe family pictures and a few other things, I got three 1TB drives put all copies into all three one is at the house the other one is off site and a third one that I use daily, every six months to a year I will make sure the data is all the same on all three. But that is how I do it.

will google really store exabytes of backups for $700 a year?

He was hoping - as am I - that you'd be asleep at home when the fire broke out.

>Hurr consumers
>I..I'm a professional, you wouldn't understand!!
Yes okay. Your Chinese cartoon collection isn't important. $700 a year is the kind of money a business spends for backing up 200+TB of data. If you have a business, then good on you.

It's not about the money. I piss away easily quadruple that amount in shit like coffees and liquor through the year without blinking. It's what you get in return. Especially with high capacity disks getting to as cheap as $430 for a 14TB.

>google drive + encryption
>encryption
>he believes google doesn't read his files
>he believes the chinese, german, russian, american, brazilian, romanian, albanian italian hackers infiltrated in all the clouds don't read his files
>he believes google drive will always work perfectly syncing 50 PB
>he believes google drive is backup
>he believes that a random reinstall+some strange shit won't make his google drive disappear one day
>he believes he'll never have to upgrade his whole fucking OS to run the next google drive goodness
>I could go on
>he is an idiot

>Storage that can sometimes be inaccessible
it's backup. it doesn't have to be accessible all the time.

>Google, the Chinese, the Germans of all fucking countries, the Russians, the Americans, the Brazilians, Romanian, Albanians and Italians all have the hardware and interest to brute force every single file on Google Drive that has been encrypted by some random user
Okay retard. I'm sure there are tons of agencies worldwide that spend all day trying to crack files I encrypted with AES-256-GCM before uploading them to the cloud.

You're right. Until the time comes when you need to make a backup or restore from backup and it's down due to shit out of your control. Then what? Backup you can't trust to always be there for you isn't really backup. I'm not saying cloud is terrible, but as your sole backup? Asking for trouble

If you did the encryption well you need to have twice the storage to keep things properly separated and only sync the encrypted side. Oh you trust "apps" to do it. Hint: you did not do it well.
what about all the other points "retard"?

If your only "backup" is in a single cloud that's not a backup.

You do know full disk/partition/container encryption is possible in local storage right?

It's not backup, moron. It's sync, and anything you delete by mistake will be deleted in seconds on the other side. Google at your service!
Also, ransomware will encrypt your "backups" because they are not backups, they are sync, superidiot.

>hurr durr me pick up big boy words me use you = btfo xdDdddddd
Can you pick up the straw you're getting all over the place? It's a fire hazard.
>he believes google drive will always work perfectly syncing 50 PB
More straw. But with my current ~60TB it's working pretty good.
>he believes google drive is backup
And having a cloud copy in addition to your backup strategy isn't a backup because user said so I guess.
>he believes that a random reinstall+some strange shit won't make his google drive disappear one day
>he believes he'll never have to upgrade his whole fucking OS to run the next google drive goodness
Would you look at that, even more straw. Or are you seriously implying I have some google drive client installed on my PC running at all times and just accidentally delete files because I am as retarded as you are? And do you not know there are more options than just the google drive app?
Just the absolute state of this "tech" board I guess.

For that price alone you could get close to 15TB of storage and not have to rebuy anything.
What are you doing?

Store it, yes, give it back for $700 USD, not so much, after a few terabytes the ransom speeds kick in.

100mb of space has been added to your Google™ cloud account.

I store everything that matters on a RAID-Z1 NAS configured with daily snapshots that get stored for a month.

That NAS gets its entire file system, including snapshots and configuration backed up to an offline RAID-Z1 server every second day.

Both servers are connected to a UPS with several days of runtime, and the online NAS has a small local UPS to allow for graceful shutdown in case of a wiring fault. They're situated in a concrete basement room in a house with a private drainage system that does not flood, so even if the house goes on fire and the fire department hoses the burning ruins down, there's a reasonable chance that they'll neither burn nor get drowned.

Even if I get hit by a cryptolocker followed by two drives failing while the internet is down, and the power goes out because the house burns down while I'm out of town for three weeks, I'll still have a decent chance to be able to restore my data.

Attached: ratemyserverroom.jpg (1200x1800, 517K)

Come with arguments or shut up moron. Just replying "no it's not" to every point is, I guess, the absolute state of google drive heroes like you.

the cloud is for weak underage people like you.

you must learn to let go my fren

Attached: mariekondo-635x480.jpg (635x480, 23K)

I do backup

Attached: jottacloud backup.png (667x603, 23K)

user you are a crazy cunt and I respect that.
You absolute madlad you. God bless.

Backblaze is like $60 a year...

LTO.

I have a few hundred megabytes of unique ORIGINAL CHARACTER anime girls from early japanese geocities days and they will be lost forever when this drive gives out. never to be seen again.

Because the shit worth having a downloaded copy of is the shit you can't find streaming or seeded.

If a failing hard drive starts to corrupt files would they get updated in their corrupted state to cloud backups?

If you do 24/7 live backups yes. But you shouldn't do that ever anywhere in any situation.

To the anons who use externals, what do you use to automate your backups? And more importantly, how do you keep track of what's in what drive?

I at least keep snaps even though it's not really a backup it can fix some shit like ransomware, accidental deletion, etc

Why is raid no good for backups? It's better than nothing, right?

Never mind. Once again, a simple search educates idiots.

I only have an old 500GB external HDD for the important things, and a shoddy unlimited GDrive to hoard terabytes of anime ever since my Hitachi HDD started clicking a while back. Definitely looking to snag some more external HDDs or maybe SSDs in the future depending on their value by the end of the year. At the moment I don't care about losing media from the boorus too much.

I have a copy of my storage drive via rsync twice a week. Just good measures. I don't see both disks failing at once. They aren't in raid and just share the same files.

Attached: JAAACKIIIIIE.gif (400x300, 1.02M)