How a Big U.S. Chip Maker Gave China the ‘Keys to the Kingdom’

wsj.com/articles/u-s-tried-to-stop-china-acquiring-world-class-chips-china-got-them-anyway-11561646798

When Lisa Su was named AMD’s chief executive in October 2014, the company was desperate for cash, its debts were mounting and its revenue was declining. Its stock had dipped to around $3 a share. Some analysts predicted it would seek bankruptcy protection.

Three weeks after getting the top job, Ms. Su, a Taiwan-born New Yorker, jetted to Beijing to meet officials at China’s Ministry of Industry and Information Technology. A Chinese vice minister urged her to partner with China “to achieve mutual benefits based on AMD’s technological strength,” according to a ministry press release at the time.

In exchange, the Chinese government gave AMD a lifeline: $293 million in licensing fees plus royalties on the sales of any chips developed by the venture.

That April, AMD got another boost from Beijing. It said it would get a $371 million payout for selling an 85% stake in two of its semiconductor factories in China

Companies routinely seek approval from the committee for deals that raise national-security issues. The committee is led by the Treasury Department and includes the Defense, Commerce, Justice and Energy departments, among others. It can recommend that the president block foreign investments in U.S. assets for national-security reasons.

AMD didn’t submit the deal for committee review, arguing Cfius didn’t have jurisdiction to review that type of joint-venture, according to people familiar with the matter. The company also claimed it wasn’t turning over any state-of-the-art technology. Pentagon officials found that response at odds with how the joint-venture had portrayed itself in China.

By mid-2017, concerns about AMD’s China deal had reached the Trump White House. Retired Gen. Spalding, who left the National Security Council last year, said of AMD: “They’re using the letter of the law to violate the spirit of the law.”

Attached: 1561103061859.jpg (2448x1930, 1.31M)

Other urls found in this thread:

wsj.com/articles/u-s-tried-to-stop-china-acquiring-world-class-chips-china-got-them-anyway-11561646798
youtube.com/watch?v=QHrp8rvBLmM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Nice spam Intel shill

And Intel was caught selling Huawei processors and server by exploiting the fact that goods made and sold overseas by a spinoff company aren't technically "US goods".

Who gives a fuck anymore.

>giving an assembled product that would take 50 years to reverse engineer
>literally handing over IP
pick one

Truth dies in ignorance. Stand up for yourself and reject what's happening.

Facts you don't like are neither spam nor shilling, Mr. Xi Hou Lee

CHONGED!

>selling an 85% stake in two of its semiconductor factories
In China
>in China
They already had the access. Do you really think the Chinese government doesn't have access to everything made in China?

Cry me a river, glowniggers. Trump's government has been so unreliable and irratic that no one's even paying attention to them anymore.

>template libtard shitpost
Take your meds you drooling bernout

The moral of the story here seems to be that while companies selling juiceros and other social media bullshit are handed hundreds of millions if not billions by funding groups in the US and while the government pisses away 10s of billions on illegals and hundreds of billions on other horseshit, a domestic innovator is left having to travel to a foreign country and beg for a handout to avoid bankruptcy. It would seem, across the board, public and private that the US has its head up its ass. Anyone want to take a wager on what even smaller lessor known startups have to do to get funding in America? Yeah, this is how you lose your innovative edge .. Idiots in power w/ money.

Attached: the_memes_were_true.jpg (1003x538, 181K)

>wsj.com/articles/u-s-tried-to-stop-china-acquiring-world-class-chips-china-got-them-anyway-11561646798
here's the article.

Attached: 1534745138150.png (1491x8935, 1.19M)

Mommy Su? More like commie Su

>They’re using the letter of the law to violate the spirit of the law
Shoulda wrote the law better faggot. Everyone knows conservative SC justices are all about the letter of the law

>facts you dont like

literally everybody knows about amd deal LOL

Very true. America needs a strong central government that, at the very least, maintains competition of private businesses. If fucking "modern art" can get grants so should key companies like AMD. Also intel and AMD should be forced to license x86 patent suites to another company, maybe nvidia

>nvidia
Actually, they already own an x86 license (Acquired with the purchase of ALi/ULi) , and was strongly signs to had been making a x86 chip back in the late 00s, they had a chip that was instruction agnostic and was driven totally by microcode. This eventually turned in to their Tegra K1 SOC when ARM chips were deemed to be a better bet then attempting to compete with Intel.
Given how big Nvidia has gotten in the past decade, who knows if they're look back in to x86.

everybody in ching chong land i'm sure

Intel is an Israeli botnet, and AMD is a Chinese botnet. Why didnt freescale fucking innovate when apple was buying their PowerPC shit? They're to blame for the duopoly we have on desktok processors.

So the article says the original deal was okay'd by the treasury and the more recent call for investigation has been superseded by the massive china/tech bans already, of which there have already been articles on stating the amd/china venture has stopped weeks ago.
This article coming now is a hit piece against amd because rome is coming.

This is what happens when you allow ponzi schemes to fester though. Idiots garner the nations's wealth. Innovation dies on a vine. Idiot money empowers/funds more idiot ventures because that's what's selling. idiocy increases socially.. and the correction is ugly. Technology isn't taken seriously in this country nor is the future potential of it. Internet infrastructure is 3rd world. Monopolistic faggots like AT&T and others hold back and overcharge for rotting infra. This is allowed because there are corrupt hacks in govt. Again, idiots empowering idiots. Wallstreet gets billions of dollars to reinflate real-estate bubbles because various local/state governments want to rack in record property taxes. Meanwhile, you see fuck all in terms of it in new infrastructure investments. Libraries haven't been retrofitted to be relevant. They should be filled with high performance computers, 3d printers, robotics labs, etc. The country's discourse centers on arguing about illegals. Presidential candidates have the audacity to speak in a foreign language at a presidential debate. Billions are given to foreign invaders. Sensible laws aren't enforced. Taxes are levied against the most productive and funneled to the least. Shit tier leadership. No one is speaking power to the hugely exciting technological future and potential. Instead we argue about the rights of degenerate faggots and allow feckless women and jews to destroy the social fabric of the country. Yeah, America has fallen the fuck off basically. No leaders. No visionaries. No one empowering the future because retards are of the belief that we have made it. The focus is on social jackassery and infighting not the future. Innovators thus seeking funding/grounding elsewhere in the world. Innovation happening and beginning elsewhere in the world. You'd think an expose' like this would cause dumbasses to wake up but no it won't. Likely, people will adopt an ignorant stance that Su sold out; no domestic buyin.

Meanwhile in the US :
> Faggots rights
> Children in drag
> We need more funding for illegals
> Bad man orange
> Russia hacked us
> American Idol
> Muh make believe racial tension
> wall to wall clown world

the level of stupidity is beyond me

>By mid-2017, concerns about AMD’s China deal had reached the Trump White House. Retired Gen. Spalding, who left the National Security Council last year, said of AMD: “They’re using the letter of the law to violate the spirit of the law.”

thats why he banned ONLY intel from doing business and not amd right?

riight....

> Rome
youtube.com/watch?v=QHrp8rvBLmM
...When you finally catch the reference

Attached: the_memes.jpg (1000x563, 74K)

This turned out great for consumers.

Imagine a world where Intel finally gained full dominion.

I shudder at the thought.

>inb4 leddit spacing

makes a fucking thread about a 2017 news that intel is using now against amd

desperation is funny

delicious seething chinkoids tears

> desperation is funny
It is also costly and stupid.
If intel is behind this hit piece, it won't work in their favor. WSJ publishing even hurts them as it seems like the finance community in the US has their heads up their ass (which they do).
> Innovators in the US can't find local funding because our investment class is too busy funding bullshit
> Had to run to china and beg for cash infusion to avoid going bankrupt because they are the only ones that seem to be looking towards the future
> intel is irrelevant
Yeah this hurts anyone who had hands in it

> seething chinkoid
lol, what has already transpired and this post-factual article do just about everything to highlight the clown state of America's priorities. Its mere publication without a grasp of how it reads highlights that fact.
> Chinkoid
Nope just a proud America who wished its country didn't have its collective head up its ass

>June 27, 2019 10:46 am ET
Gotta love those amd fanboy echochamber delusions

This, it's sad to see an empire die this way. Like a famous olympic sportsman developing dementia and leukemia at 40.

I think he's saying that news of the combined venture/etc was already public in 2017. Intel pushing out this hit piece in 2019 is desperate and pathetic .. A week ahead of their new processor launch. Effectively trying to gain public/private animosity against AMD and paint them as a branch of chink govt. Shameful and pathetic and will work against them.

>anytthing I don't like is a big intel conspiracy cause I said so
You're either trolling or suffering from paranoid schizophrenia.

We were just talking about underhanded tactics companies do, like the GPP. It seems like Intel really is desperate.

there's has been precedent: Ryzenfall, CTS labs, Principled Technologies.

I was summarizing the intent of another user's post. I could give a fuck where this came from. It's not a positive article in the least nor makes AMD looks back. It makes the WSJ look like a piece of shit, America like it has its head up its ass and isn't backing innavtors who literally have to go overseeas to beg foreign govts for cash infusions so they don't go bankrupt, and makes anyone else whose behind this look like a giant pile of shit (this coming out after 2 years of it being public a week before AMD's processor launch) clearly points to who else is involved. Of course, some rat brain faggot like yourself won't make any of these connections because you have the brain function of a jellybean. You'll instead post some meme tier reply hoping some other brain dead idiot finds it funny.

Lol some autist copied all those characters... You can tell because they look like shit

Attached: fugg.jpg (500x464, 47K)

I'm sure your local psychiatrist will be very interested in that word salad. Did you make an appointment? If you tell me your address, I can call the nearest mental hospital for you, in case you are already too demented to do it on your own.

>innovators
>on the verge of bankruptcy
My sides are orbit. Please retake the high school economics class you failed.

Next thing you'll say is that the GPP doesn't exist.

^When you post retarded shit and project your mental illness on others, the only response to double down and go full retard :
^When you're so delusional and lost you don't see yourself behaving like the very thing you accuse others of.

Is this what your doctor told you? You should listen to him.

Take your meds, stormfag schizo.

@71622030
Here's your (you)

>highlight the clown state of America's priorities.
Awww did your tiny leftover brain melt away due to global burning so you can only spout empty rhetorics now and it's all trump's fault? :(

At this point, I would rather have the Chinese government collect information on me than Google, Apple, or Microsoft.

It all falls on the same heap everyone grabs from.

who cares, my "peers" in america fucking hate me or people like me, so if anything I'm happy china is BTFO'ing america. srsly we deserve this.

Yes, but I would rather the Chinese government do the collecting to grow the heap

the moral of the story here is China has won, america BTFO

>we deserve this
>rather the Chinese

Obvious shills or treacherous scum. Either way, slap yourselves and square yourselves away.

White man invents, China man infiltrates destroys and steals. Get used to it, whitey.

>someone sells something and makes money
>"fiscal conservative" MAD
rare case

I'm worried, I love AMD and I love Lisa Su's leadership.

Why are you worried?

There's people calling the act treason in the comments of that WSJ article

There's people calling the act treason in the comments of that WSJ article, and I don't want this to make AMD look worse

Attached: 1561092891468.jpg (608x590, 110K)

sorry accidentally double posted

Good, my system is AMD, China is tech heaven, and this can be an exercise in not bring xenophobic

>being
fuck mobileposting

^mental illness combined w/ classic projection

> There's people calling the act treason in the comments of that WSJ article
Braindead idiots who were too busy fighting for faggot's rights while the country eroded into irrelevance.

The intel kikes are digging deep in their bag of tricks to hurt AMD. Unfortunately for the kikes the goyim are waking up. The chinaman is coming and he will wrestle away the power from the jew.

China = low-grade not cheap
I'll see how smug you are when the latest huangmengzheng CPUs don't let you boot any other than chinglingming OS

>hur dur chinese state cant buy a factory located in its borders
>hur dur murica's veto should have any menaing

sounds reasonable

Attached: because-murica-4g7jcp.jpg (250x218, 10K)

Better the Chinese than...

Attached: 1493125040257.png (600x712, 261K)

>projecting projections

I see what you failed there.

Attached: 1519369635787.png (1584x864, 63K)

I love how they always draw giant blue eyes.

a literal shitposting thread almost a week before launch

like a fucking clockwork

Being Chinese is weird. Every race accepts you and sees you as neutral. But when it comes to what it matters you'll always be the second pick regardless of your caliber.

They would never appoint any Asian in a successful company. They appointed Lisa because amd was on life support and destitute. It was sink or swim. I don't think they ever imagined she would be successful.

Lisa didn't come so far without realizing this. She went to the only people she could trust, people of her own.

^ the common belief of the average shit head in America where success is measured in dollars as opposed to innovation and impact (which dumb faggots focused on shekels are unable/unwilling to account for)

Economics is a social pseudo-science btw. You discover that when you take college level coursework. It is reinforced in the real-world when you discover funding and financial success are often central to ruthless exploiters who turn the world backwards as opposed to the rare few who push it forward. They're not headed towards bankruptcy anymore and are set to take over the industry. Now comes the hit pieces and dumb faggots like yourself. Sides in orbit brain mush..

kikes like clockwork

>Being Chinese is weird. Every race accepts you and sees you as neutral. But when it comes to what it matters you'll always be the second pick regardless of your caliber.
As if there's a race that has some superiority clause and authority to decide whose 1st/2nd/3rd pick... LMFAO.
> assholes have opinions and inferiority complexes...
OK
> They would never appoint any Asian in a successful company.
Simple.. eventually asians make their own companies, don't appoint you. What goes around comes around. BTW, asians/indians have deep seeded resenment in the valley. I've worked w/ lots of them. Which is why various companies are being slowly taken over by them. Whites have been losing this battle for a while. It's sad that they literally handed everything over to them because of their insatiable greed.
> They appointed Lisa because amd was on life support and destitute
And she brought the company to prominence.
> It was sink or swim. I don't think they ever imagined she would be successful.
Which indicates that such people are ignorant, short sighted, and a thing of the past.
> Lisa didn't come so far without realizing this.
Of course she didn't. However, she has a great deal of poise which is why she doesn't express it.
> She went to the only people she could trust, people of her own.
ignorant racism has its pitfalls.. who'd of thought

Good post

Why would I hire someone with communist connections? They'll end up ruining my company.

>b-b-believe me guys m-muh left-wing SJWtard brainwashed academia says so!

oh poor child...

Not an argument. The only quantifiably progressive code is open source, which is a tiny fraction of all existing code. In open source, we investigate the phenomenon of multiple programs doing the same thing as efficiently, which can only imply proprietary code does the same but worse. The entire reason code monkeying exists is because people need to professionally rewrite code over and over. Indeed this industry is thankfully headed into a crash and hopefully programming as a career crumbles in favour of mathematics.

fuck AMD THEY GAVE CHINA amd64 zen technology.

this a piece since huwei ban that shows use how unpatriotic corporations are.

because it is treasonous. American company run by taiwanese person should be the most anti-commie china.

>Not an argument
Yea it's called mockery. Don't gratify yourself by implying I would argue with a SJWtard like you. Don't get a heart attack now while spamming those wild marxist memes either :o

Amd is doing fine though

Do they have an AMD64 license as well?

> Why would I hire someone with communist connections? They'll end up ruining my company.
Didn't stop white boomers from exporting the whole country to china for shekels.. Myopia and greed are a potent combination of ruin.
Why are white people so greedy and stupid?

Exports everything that isn't nailed down to china..Says :
> Why would I hire someone with communist connections? They'll end up ruining my company.
WE DINDU NUFFIN

Intel
>Let's abuse our monopoly to drive AMD in to near VIA status breaking the law around the planet to do it
US Government
>Let's protect that monopoly status because it doesn't generate the same number of votes as bailing out the autoindustry
AMD under Hector Ruiz
>Let's reinforce that monopoly by buying our own fabs and buying ATi and resting on our laurels that Intel could never respond with a better processor while developing Fusion

So when Su comes around and says hey we are one year away from bankruptcy. We need to generate revenue in order to stay afloat because we have nothing left to sell except leasing out our IP and suddenly giving China a bootleg X86 IP that's shit, but breaks the mandatory surveillance of alphabet agencies built in.

This is the future you chose.

That's human nature though. Throughout history exploitation and violence have been the best methods of success. The only pseudoscience here is your denial of basic evolutionary facts. Grow up and deal with it.

2019年のグレートポケモンカリング The Great Pokemon Culling of 2019 全国図鑑 National Dex バトルフロンティアBattle Frontier 3DS の最適化 3DS Optimization ポケモンコンテスト Pokemon Contests 世代を超えた進化 Cross-generation evolutions 飛行ハガネール Floating Steelix メガシンカ Mega Evolution トリプル バトル Triple Battle ローテ バトル Rotation Battle ポケモンワールドトーナメントPokemon World Tournament 森本茂樹Shigeki Morimoto 岩田 聡 Satoru Iwata データ圧縮 Data Compression ずかんナビ Dexnav ウルトラチェンジ Ultra Changes

Attached: bb9ae1ea90cae77eb3a43c350b33b814fc3bc7cb77fec06c68d3f2aca1cba3b9.png (251x272, 11K)

>Didn't stop white boomers from exporting the whole country to china for shekels.. Myopia and greed are a potent combination of ruin.
Why are white people so greedy and stupid?

cool it with the anti-semitism, will you?

BASED AMD
BASED CHINA

FUCK INTEL
FUCK ISRAEL
FUCK TRUMP

Attached: 1559548677163.jpg (951x887, 116K)

I don't get it and can't think for myself who is Jow Forums rooting for in this regard?

Zen is obsolete

/leftypol/ out in full force today

Attached: 1484152760207.jpg (346x320, 41K)