/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Do not dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 15432048147140.jpg (750x395, 37K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman
i.4cdn.org/wsg/1561679394906.webm
youtube.com/watch?v=Eluzi70O-P4
youtube.com/watch?v=huFYl8-Omws
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Packets sent to 255.255.255.255 from my archtop do not reach any devices on the network. Doing so from my gentoopad, hoever, works fine. iptables -L comes up blank. I'm out of ideas. Please help.

Attached: cris.jpg (600x600, 62K)

/fglt/ seems to be the oist clever place on Jow Forums. Please explain this conic.

Attached: 1543235583747.jpg (3547x2550, 1.33M)

= vs ==
assignment vs equality test

Holy shit. Thanks. I knew I can count on you.

When using ping manually setting interface to the one connected to the router makes it go through. ifconfig also shows lo and tun devices. I guess broadcast packets are sent to one of those instead? Why would that be happening?

check the route table

Hm. Just a few minutes ago I ran route and there were no entries with broadcast address. Now there are:
10.75.10.1 10.75.10.5 255.255.255.255 UGH 0 0 0 tun0
10.75.10.5 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 tun0
no-mans-land.m2 _gateway 255.255.255.255 UGH 0 0 0 enp8s0

What could this mean?

Oh wait, that's genmask.

oh my fucking god why does webkit take so long to compile!

Is there a way to pull en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman into a file for fortune(1) use? Already searx'd, but the scripts I've found seem all outdated. Maybe a cli ninja can write a simple grep regex for it?

Fortune format is simple as shit.

%

%

I'm struggling at the hard part through; extacring the quotes from wikiquote.

Attached: 15367084548800.jpg (500x527, 50K)

>When I released GNU Emacs and people started using it, they started sending me improvements in the mail. So I would get a message with a bug fix, and a message with a new feature, and another bug fix, and another new feature, and another... and another... until they were pouring in on me so fast that just taking advantage of all of the help people were giving me was a big job. Microsoft doesn't have this problem.

Attached: 15354528330860.jpg (399x500, 34K)

Hey guys, still a windows shitter here trying to make the move to Linux here. Any linux distro you would recommend to a programmer here, and with what desktop environment? I want something minimal and that doesn't distract me too much.

Attached: dog wink.jpg (655x640, 49K)

install gentoo

install guix

In case you still didn't get it from the other anons post, if you're not a programmer it might not be clear, but there is a difference between "=" and "==" in a lot of programming languages.
So on the 3rd line of code inside the if statement it should be "==" to test equality, but they accidentally wrote "=" instead which sets the variable to true.

Also I think a slightly deeper meaning to it is that if an AI does something it's always because we programmed it to, even if its creators just aren't smart enough to see it.
A perfect example of that was this news story a while back about 2 AI chatbots that "developed their own language", but in reality it was just 2 chatbots reaching equilibrium with each other in an unpredictable way as their inputs/outputs lacked any intelligible original English input. There was absolutely no language there whatsoever.
So that kind of reminds me of the comic.
They saw what they wanted to see, but the reality is much less interesting. Just like in the comic, the robot is already equipped with functions like "kill()" that the programmers put in there, they just never thought the variable "isCrazyMurderingRobot" would get flipped until someone made a typo.

Arch will teach you the basics
dwm is minimal and good

dm-crypt or ecryptfs for /home enctyption? It's a separate partition from /
also how bad is the overhead on 3rd gen dual core mobile i5 and an SSD

even though I wouldn't use it myself, unironically ubuntu
packages are fresh enough for dev work, there are guides for everything and gnome 3 is gimped enough that you wouldn't be tempted to rice it too much
or you could go full autism and do what says

this shit is driving me up the wall

on open media vault 4
can't do jack shit because can't update kernel for some reason, all other updates go through but not kernel
can't install plugins because of unresolved dependencies with unupdated kernel
kernel canyt update because inbuilt update utility reports it's own kernel data as corrupt
so I'm in a vicious circle with this
OMV forums are super useless
how do I fix this

I need an OS that acts as a glorified ipod. I want to be able to access music through a media player, and I want to be able to remotely control the computer from a smartphone. I also need it to support Firefox. What's the best OS for this application?

Which kernel?

update is linux-image-4.19.0-0.bpo.5-amd64 4.19.37-4~bpo9+1 or at least this is what the error code points to
this is present in the updates menu but if I try to install it gives out an error stating it is corrupt data

Attached: update.png (542x277, 14K)

Attached: 1527637160902.png (492x611, 407K)

OK kids, chad here. Give me the best distro right now, b/c I dont have enough time to waste with distro hopping; the chicks are waiting for my dick.

Attached: 1507400938682.jpg (483x640, 94K)

>the best distro
gentoo
>the chicks are waiting
void is the second best one if compiling everything takes too long

Install GNU Guix System GNU/GNU Linux-Libre, or as I've recently taken to calling it GNU/GNU GNU system plus GNU.

You forgot the "System Distribution".

tell me what makes void so special
imho its shit, has no packages, the main dev is missing plus a musl meme that is trash just like on alpine
is it just the meme that somehow appeared on Jow Forums that arch users who are too cool for arch but too stupid for gentoo have to switch to void in order to be part of the cool numales?
tell me, why does void even exist? why would anyone use it? there is not any reason. nit a single one that another distro wouldn't do in a better way. no?

What audio visualizers do you guys use?
I've been using qmmp's builtin one, but i like having each app do one thing and do it well so i want to have a standalone visualizer. Any good ones out there or should i make my own?

Afaik GuixSD is now simply "Guix System",happened when it went out of beta.

>audio
>visualizers

Attached: 1560890679112.jpg (396x385, 31K)

ProjectM, there's a standalone version which hooks into pulseaudio, so you can visualize anything
it's milkdrop-compatible

Attached: 2019-06-28-092355_707x531_screencap.webm (707x531, 1.38M)

>has no packages
1-Name a package
2-You can package it yourself or ask someone to package it for you, this is how package repos grow after all.

>too stupid for gentoo
implying gentoo is hard to get used to?
I just prefer the binaries because i don't see much point in compiling everything

looks nice, thanks user

There are countless on Github. I have tried many visualizers and didn't use any for a while (the best one, I think, was cava), but then i discovered that mpv supports all ffmpeg filters and now I just use them if I really need visualization, which i usually don't need; music is for listening, you know.

Gentoo provides binaries for huge things you don't want to compile such as browsers.

there's tons of presets for it as well
to be clear, milkdrop is the visualization system of winamp. yes, that one.

Attached: 2019-06-28-093136_1063x590_screencap.webm (1063x590, 1.37M)

>gentoo has a pussy out mode
today Jow Forums lost all its credits

I know that, what i mean is do you really notice much performance difference when you do compile stuff? Didn't feel like much of a difference when i gave it a whirl, and i spent a whole day setting flags n micromanaging everything

you really should include audio in these mate

Jow Forums doesn't support webms with audio

oh. there i go being a newfag.
Why though?

idk, i only learned recently other boards support audio, and i don't know which ones
i only really visit Jow Forums

Jow Forums never got any credits, the whole install gentoo meme roots on trolling newfags into the most difficult to install system; a shortcut for "lurk moar", later forgotten and connected to rms because of the sticky, resulting in further stupid memes until in '07 redditors started installing gentoo unironically, hoping rms and Jow Forums would be proud. It's embarrassing.

there's a thread on just for this
you owe us one

Attached: 1560967981307.jpg (569x760, 46K)

i know this because i scrape that tiktok shithole regularly, never knew WHY Jow Forums doesn't support audio though, what's the reason behind it?

Attached: 1560983769820.jpg (512x422, 29K)

I made this rare Stallman for you's.
i.4cdn.org/wsg/1561679394906.webm

Can you crop the black bars?

uh, might take me a moment, i didn't write my screen recording script with audio support, since i only use it to post things on Jow Forums

what distro do I install if I just wanna get the GNU/Linux experience and learn lots about it (with no prior knowledge)

Attached: 1560896851593.png (1920x1080, 584K)

For you:

Xubuntu 18.04 user here.
There's a problem with libinput in this release, which doesn't allow me to use xinput to set the mouse slower. Supposedly, one of the ways to fix it is to remove libinput and install evdev.
Will there be any problem if I remove libinput and install evdev?

>lolwut?

Attached: Screenshot_2019-06-28-02-00-32_1.png (314x272, 58K)

Thank you!

This guy didn't went on stage sober, didn't he?

Why does firejail literally not work on any program that they list support on in their github?

sauce?

It's been a while since I cut it, but i think the source must be the Revolution OS documentary.

revolution os is a must watch for everyone itt
if anyone didn't watch it, its on youtube with like 100 subtitles

>youtube
Here's what a real buddy would do: you post a FUCKING youtube link so we can just watch it in mpv without getting tracked by the BOTNET. Don.t bother, i did the hard work for you youtube.com/watch?v=Eluzi70O-P4

>he never read OP
>he didn't have already watched all videos provided through the OP pasta

Attached: 1560866930528.jpg (737x754, 65K)

Attached: 1535884952223.jpg (511x554, 63K)

Explain the Solus Kevin meme.

You still get tracked using youtube-dl, retard. A real buddy would post a privacy respecting mirror.

any advice on how to get from late beginner to intermediate linux or even neckbeard linux user status?

so I just installed arch linux, but I'm trying to figure out which desktop environment to go with. Any recommendations/?

Hewwo, I updated my Plasma to 5.16.2 on KDE Neon and now the trackpoint on my T440s is kinda lagging (especially noticeably when going slow). On 5.15.5 it was fine.
Are any here that also run the newest Plasma and have this issue with the trackpoint?

MATE

i want to try lunix in a VM, does VMware let you back up images of your machine in case you fuck something up?

So I have a desktop Linux installation that I've used for a long time. Somewhere along the way the ID and GID of my main user changed from the standard 1000:1000 to some other numbers. All my files have those IDs. This isn't problematic in its own right, but mildly annoying in some situations.
Now I'm reinstalling the whole system and not sure what's the best way to handle this minor issue. There are several options:
>create the user account on the fresh install with the same old IDs
or
>create the new user account with 1000:1000 and suffer whenever i'll need to access old files
or
>change IDs of the old account and modify every file to be owned by 1000:1000

what do?

Attached: etc_passwd.png (455x186, 15K)

>change IDs of the old account and modify every file to be owned by 1000:1000
sounds sensible

or #4: Add your new user to both groups and save the problem for your future self.

I considered doing that, by many files are only user readable, which means I'll still have to modify them so I might as well go with #3 (or still suffer like in #2) .

find /mnt/point -uid 1234 -exec chown 1000 '{}' \;
find /mnt/point -gid 1234 -exec chown :1000 '{}' \;

major PC browsers: Falkon > Seamonkey > olde-Firefox > Piss > Shit > Chromium > nu-Firefox > Chrome >>> Microshit browsers

t. autistic retard

Linux is a kernel.

I agree, and?
I hate nerds.

Falkon, Chromium, Chrome, and nu-Edge are 99% the same shit.

If I post the description for a job listing just requires just a high school diploma and Linux experience, can you guys tell me what I should study?

if you can install gentoo you're fine

What is the TC equivalent for servers? I'm looking for an encryption software that makes it impossible to access the operating system physically, only remotely. The software needs to support both encryption and decryption because I want to make backups and download them, then I want to be able to decrypt them completely when I need to. TC doesn't protect a running system from physical access and also doesn't have a decryption feature for non-system partitions. What are the alternatives if any?

>2) Do not dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
Why?
I tried Linux and like it but I had to go back to Windows because some software I use is not supported. I did this just by putting the old hard drive back in, I really hate Windows and was going to try and create a partition for dual booting. I haven't heard anything bad about it except for possibly corrupting the HD if already in use before partitioning.

tbqh there's nothing wrong, at least in bios+mbr land. The OP only leads readers away from wisdom.

Sometimes Manjaro will refuse to open files but will let existing programs run and function. For example i won't be able to open images or video files in any program and their 'images' will appear not recognized, unlike usually where you will get a thumbnail or thr logo of the program that is set to open it.
This bug has been driving me crazy and the only solution i know is to restart. Help?

youtube.com/watch?v=huFYl8-Omws

Attached: 1497898828877.webm (480x360, 1.63M)

>I tried Linux and like it but I had to go back to Windows because some software I use is not supported.
why don't you use WINE, friend?

Consider switching to and supporting the next generation of free operating systems. Use NixOS, GuixSD.

Attached: 2795415-9653374716-king11..jpg (1183x1024, 197K)

Works fine for me on Xfce. Maybe it's DE problem?

So if I go down that road, do you think I have to format whatever hard drive I'll be using before installing both OS's?

1. Because I'm retarded
2. I don't think photoshop and lightroom work properly in WINE, I read you have to use an old version and it doesn't work well. I'm also going to be taking this laptop into basically the Australian desert for a couple of months shortly, so I'm going to want those programs to play with my photos when I'm bored with no internet.