Best file naming convention?

How do you name your files? How do you do spaces? Do you capitalize letters? What's the best naming conventions for easy searchability and readability, and that is compatible in both *nix and windows systems? Thank you.

Attached: name.jpg (768x512, 27K)

Other urls found in this thread:

johnnydecimal.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

yes

Maps that need to be on top get a 0 or a. And all lower case spaces are underscores

I just keep all my folders as 'untitled folder' and figure out what's in them based on size. Saves a lot of time.

MyFunction()
randomVariableFromNowhere
// Spaces = "_"

MyCoolFunction(float _paramA, int _paramB, double _score) {
double score;
}

Terminal accessible files get named lowercase_file_name_yyyymmdd.ext
Or alternatively, date portion goes at the start for fast sorting.

Try sorting by modified date and just remembering when you saved the file. Works much easier

Not important, what's important is what I'm about to do

I tried doing that for a bit, but I wrote a program that randomly changes the modified date for all my files.

Camelcase

This is nice but windows search doesn't handle it properly.

Organization personally helps me do what I need to faster.

Interesting idea, thanks. Do you do this with all files? What about files you haven't edited?

Not sure what to do with this, or what it is. I don't know much programming. I know coding has its own naming conventions but I mean files in a more general sense.

Somehow I don't believe it does.

Sounds helpful in the shortrun but would require maintenance to keep tidy.

Mostly only for media I need to access with a keyboard. I haven't e edited most these files

johnnydecimal.com/

>config files are dotfiles or end with .conf
>media files have their normal extension
>scripts have an easy-classifiable extension
>special files (i.e. dirs, links, binary executables) get no extension
>special files and executables have a different color
>don't change the naming of system files
>don't put stuff at weird places
>see Downloads and stuff as personal /tmp
>use the local/ dirs
>don't install shit I don't need
>don't run weird executables
>update regularly
>make backups
>don't toy with some obscure fork or OS
all this stuff should be common sense

But why?

I've been bitten by that goddaamned C locale showing up where its not supposed to enough times that I try to remember to name my files in all-lowercase.

Side note, whoever decided that "Makefile" should be capitalized is a faggot, and the people in the NetworkManager project who insist on camelcase are bigger faggots.

I wanted to figure out if changing the dates would change the size of the files. Just wanted to do it to a single folder but accidentally did it to the whole computer. It runs randomly and I can't find what folder I stored it in. I think it keeps changing folders. I'm not convinced it didn't breed with a virus.

Cool concept but I can already think of cases that would require exceptions, or a lot of renaming files to fit into the system. For example, media content. Roms, music, etc.

>special files and executables have a different color
How do you do this?

>use the local/ dirs
What's this, I forget.

>don't toy with some obscure fork or OS
Too general and not useful advice and it sounds more like an opinion.

I sort everything in folders:
YYYY-MM-DD_-

smash the keyboard the get some seemingly random name

>how do you make special files have different color?
For GUI file managers, all mainstream ones have icons and (for media files) thumbnails. If you're like me nd use GNU Utils as file nanager, look into ls colors
>what is local/
system-wide directory for local (i.e. machine dependant) changes, like user-compiled binaries and scripts
>not using a toy OS is an opinion
have fun with your 0-maintainer distro in a year

Sides are in orbit, thanks user

2019.08.28.OP_Is_A_Faggot.jpg.exe

New Folder
New Folder (1)
New Text Document
New Text Document (1)

Etc

never capitalize